frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Interbike 2019 cancelled - Your thoughts / Do you care?

I'm not sure how much ya'll follow the bike industry beat, but if you hadn't heard, the company that runs/owns the Interbike tradeshow officially killed the 2019 event. I published a blog about it today, but if you don't want to read that the gist is that this was something that us industry types told ourselves couldn't happen - until it happened. And then many realized that it was probably inevitable.

Interbike was a pillar of the bike business in America for a very long time. I remember greatly anticipating the media coverage every year when I first got in to cycling. It's where all the news was happening. A lot of fingers are being pointed now as to why the show failed (many at the biggest companies that pulled out of the event like Trek and Specialized), but I guess it doesn't matter at this point. Economy. Internet sales. Amazon. Lance took a dump all over cycling and Americans hate it now.

My question is - how much is this on your radar? Do you care? Do you follow other trade shows or want to see Interbike return? What I'm generally gathering is that a lot of average cyclists have lost interest.
The Dude at Minimal Multisport Podcast, Blog, and YouTube.
MY PATREON!
bbculp

Comments

• Options
    bbculpbbculp Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I wasn't surprised and I don't care. I stopped going four years ago when brands stopped launching product and buying hacks like me dinner. Interbike was a ton of fun 10 years ago when the industry was thriving and companies were doing crazy shit like buying print ads.

The move to Reno was puzzling. Not easy or cheap to get to. If they do a show in 2020, I think Denver makes the most sense.

I'm assuming Dan wrote something about it on ST, which I don't have the time or patience to read. Can you summarize it for the Roost so we know how to feel about this?
    gregkAaron Webstey
  • Options
    @bbculp most likely started with, "I remember when I first invented Interbike, actually the concept of trade shows in general, ...."
    gregkAaron WebsteyCraig_DdhrTad_MJohns622bbculp
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I couldn't care less. Always seemed like a good time for people who went, but really all that came out of it was a bunch of mildly interesting/entertaining articles about bike technology I wont be able to afford for 10 years.
    gregkAaron Webstey

• Options
    bbculp said:

I wasn't surprised and I don't care. I stopped going four years ago when brands stopped launching product and buying hacks like me dinner. Interbike was a ton of fun 10 years ago when the industry was thriving and companies were doing crazy shit like buying print ads.

The move to Reno was puzzling. Not easy or cheap to get to. If they do a show in 2020, I think Denver makes the most sense.

I'm assuming Dan wrote something about it on ST, which I don't have the time or patience to read. Can you summarize it for the Roost so we know how to feel about this?

@bbculp I think the move to Reno was mostly for its proximity to Lake Tahoe (for the Outdoor Demo). Much better road and mountain biking. Hotels and food are also cheaper than Vegas, but flights were definitely more expensive. I agree that Denver makes the most sense for the future. You're making me all nostalgic about the good old days when companies had cash flow and a marketing budget!

Dan did write something, but I only had time to skim it. The triathlon presence at the show was very small this year. It seems that Kona is the now the official tri industry meet-up... for those who can afford to fly there and pay for lodging.
    Aaron WebsteybbculpP_Cottrell
    The Dude at Minimal Multisport Podcast, Blog, and YouTube.
    MY PATREON!
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    @bbculp Reno is hella cheap compared to Vegas.

(But marketing spin = great riding an hour away in Tahoe)
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    It died because it cost $$$ to have a booth. At a certain point it didn't bring in the sales from retailers as in previous years (due to products being launched earlier, when ready, etc.) and bigger brands could just as easily afford to host a 'dealer summit' by flying out their top dealers to HQ instead. Smaller brands still have NAHBS and Philly. But Sea Otter is also where the cool stuff happens because it is much earlier in the season. And it didn't cater to the public, which Eurobike does.

Dan wrote that it'll have a bigger effect on cycling than it will on tri.
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited December 2018
    Is there anything interesting to do in Reno?

gregkTad_Mbbculp

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch