frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Weekly Poll - To Pee Or Not To Pee | TRS Triathlon

edited June 2016 in Articles

imageWeekly Poll - To Pee Or Not To Pee | TRS Triathlon

I’m a little too excited about this weeks topic.  That’s right!  We are talking about one of the most liberating experiences in all of triathlon. ...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GasBombGasBomb Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    There is no smell quite like your cycling shoes after an Ironman. Especially after sitting in that plastic bag all afternoon stewing.
    Aaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPeladombrekk44Tad_M

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options
    DerekLDerekL Member
    I've always suspected there was a fortune to be made from dimpled, skintight Tri Diapers™.
    StruangAaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoGasBombHSeeley14Tad_M
    I think I found my tribe of assholes.
  • Options
    slickfins_Ryanslickfins_Ryan Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    What's the proper way to do this? (if you're a boy) Do you roll up your preferred leg of your kit and sneak the head out to try and not get too much on your shoes? Do you keep that leg extended fully down? Or do you keep pedaling the whole time? Or do you simply keep it where it rests during your ride and let it flow?

I've never considered the logistics of all of this before...
    Aaron WebsteyGasBomb

Kind of wish I was Canadian. Sorry.

• Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    I tried it once and it was a disaster. I did the 'pull down shorts and hang wang to the side' technique. The dude beside me made it look so easy and it totally had nothing to do with size that's my story and I'm sticking to it
    mbrekk44HSeeley14Matt_FroeseyournotuniqueTad_M
    #KOAT
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    The one time I had to (during a 70.3), I held it for the last 20km until T2.
  • Options

What's the proper way to do this? (if you're a boy) Do you roll up your preferred leg of your kit and sneak the head out to try and not get too much on your shoes? Do you keep that leg extended fully down? Or do you keep pedaling the whole time? Or do you simply keep it where it rests during your ride and let it flow?

I've never considered the logistics of all of this before...

To quote Frozen, "Let it Go!, Let it GO!!!"

Seriously, any position will work. You can try to aim, but please keep it in your tri suit. Not sure why Webstey is trying to pull his wang out. Straight leg or bent leg, the piss will follow the path of least resistance and Ta Da! you will feel much better. Continue pedaling and pissing until finished.
    slickfins_Ryan

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options
    mbrekk44mbrekk44 Member, POTM
    edited June 2016
    Push (it) to preferred side of shorts, usually depends on the wind. Wait for a hill to coast down without pedaling.. unclip from the side you choose and bend knee to 90 degree angle and let it flow..Bending the knee keeps it from going in your shoe, and if the wind is playing in your favor, it keeps most of the piss off the bike.
    GasBombslickfins_Ryan
  • Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    This poll needs a third option: really want to, but can't.

I tried so hard to pee on the bike during IMC last year. I was preoccupied with my full bladder, refused to wait in line for a porta potty, kept riding with lots of self talk trying to convince myself to relax and go already... "ok... just... GO!" ..."relax...and... go!" "fuck, pee already!!!" Not happening. Eventually stopped at a porta potty with no line, not wanting to get undressed (wearing a onesie with a bike jersey over top), rolled up one leg of my tri-suit and held it off to the side. Long satisfying pee. Went to reposition my shorts and was immediately clear I had pissed all over them. :-/

I can't pee while swimming either.
    M_WareGasBombHSeeley14slickfins_RyanyournotuniqueTad_Mrigpig

• Options
    HSeeley14HSeeley14 Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    kjrunnin said:

I tried so hard to pee on the bike during IMC last year. I was preoccupied with my full bladder, refused to wait in line for a porta potty, kept riding with lots of self talk trying to convince myself to relax and go already... "ok... just... GO!" ..."relax...and... go!" "fuck, pee already!!!" Not happening. Eventually stopped at a porta potty with no line, not wanting to get undressed (wearing a onesie with a bike jersey over top), rolled up one leg of my tri-suit and held it off to the side. Long satisfying pee. Went to reposition my shorts and was immediately clear I had pissed all over them. :-/

I had the same issue in my first IM, then I learned to pee in the wetsuit and it was all awash after that. It also helps when you are unable to pee so you stop at a porta potty and lo and behold the last person to visit it seems to have had zero control of their bowels and spray painted the whole thing with shit. That kind of scene and smell (it was 35C and humid as hell) will make it an easy option to pee anytime, anywhere to avoid portable toilets at all costs. That was how I also learned to pee on the run. Make sure you have a water bottle as cover though, if you care about that kind of thing.

James LangekjrunninAaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I had to piss on the bike twice. The first time it went fine, but during my first 70.3 last year I just couldn't make it happen. When I got to the first porta potty on the run it was like:

GasBombkjrunninHSeeley14slickfins_RyanTad_M

• Options
    What really bothers me is that no one else is commenting on how amazing this experience is! Seriously, am I weird? :p
    James Langembrekk44kjrunninHSeeley14Tad_Mrigpig

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    @GasBomb The race where I did pee on the bike I couldn't wait to get home and tell my kids.
    GasBombHSeeley14KenElPescadoPeladoyournotuniquetwig05rigpig

• Options
    I just like the idea that I can piss in public and not get in trouble. I used to enjoy peeing off my deck in the morning and then one day the HOA decided to write a new bylaw just for me. I mean come on who was I really hurting?
    kjrunninHSeeley14KenElPescadoPeladoneil5youngtwig05Tad_M

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    HSeeley14 said:

kjrunnin said:

I had the same issue in my first IM, then I learned to pee in the wetsuit and it was all awash after that. It also helps when you are unable to pee so you stop at a porta potty and lo and behold the last person to visit it seems to have had zero control of their bowels and spray painted the whole thing with shit. That kind of scene and smell (it was 35C and humid as hell) will make it an easy option to pee anytime, anywhere to avoid portable toilets at all costs. That was how I also learned to pee on the run. Make sure you have a water bottle as cover though, if you care about that kind of thing.

I'm 45 and I've had two kids. Peeing on the run is a given.
    GasBombAaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoDerekLHSeeley14slickfins_RyanM_WareyournotuniqueTad_M

• Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
  • Options
    DerekLDerekL Member
    kjrunnin said:

HSeeley14 said:

kjrunnin said:

I'm 45 and I've had two kids. Peeing on the run is a given.
    Weird. My wife had two kids, and I've never had that problem.
    KenElPescadoPeladoGasBombsimonsen77kjrunninmbrekk44slickfins_RyanAaron WebsteyMatt_Froeseyournotuniquetwig05Tad_Mellsworth53t
    I think I found my tribe of assholes.
  • Options
    et5504et5504 Member
    I went to the lake for an OWS and kept telling my girlfriend that I really shoulda peed before we left the house and can't wait to get in the water. After I had my wetsuit on and was just adjusting the shoulders I just said "well, don't have to pee anymore! At least I'll be warm for a bit".... She was grossed out. She'll get over it. At least she doesn't judge me for all the crazy stuff I do. (At least to my face and that's all that matters)
    GasBomb
  • Options
    stevejstevej Member
    Did Raleigh 70.3 last weekend and I pee'd for the first time during a race but it was on the run. I've never felt like I had to pee on the bike during a race (never done an IM). But about 3-4 miles into the run, I had to go bad. Took about 15-20 seconds of concentration but I managed to pee while running. I drank about 3.5 bottles on the bike too. Not sure why I don't have to go on the bike and others do it all the time.
    balsdorf
  • Options
    slickfins_Ryanslickfins_Ryan Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    I had to shit on the run REALLY badly at IM70.3 Timberman last summer. Unbeknownst to me and my teammates, Thomas's Double Protein English Muffins have like QUADRUPLE the amount of fiber of normal ones. A mistake I shan't make again. I was able to hold it though, my coach was not so fortunate.
    balsdorfGasBombDerekLkjrunninAaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoHSeeley14Tad_M

Kind of wish I was Canadian. Sorry.

• Options
    stevej said:

Did Raleigh 70.3 last weekend and I pee'd for the first time during a race but it was on the run. I've never felt like I had to pee on the bike during a race (never done an IM). But about 3-4 miles into the run, I had to go bad. Took about 15-20 seconds of concentration but I managed to pee while running. I drank about 3.5 bottles on the bike too. Not sure why I don't have to go on the bike and others do it all the time.

I peed on myself 4 times during the disney marathon. I think I was drinking a tad much, but I was used to racing in 90+ weather instead of 50.

James LangeKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    @balsdorf sounds like a Mardi Gras type of party to me.
    James LangeM_WareGasBombrigpigTad_M
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    It never fails that when I pee on the run someone will ask if i'm alright. Apparently it appears similar to a seizure.
    KenElPescadoPeladoHSeeley14M_WareTad_MStruangrigpig

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    I can't pee on the bike, no matter how hard I try.

Strange thing is we have this guy in the neighborhood who stands on his deck, has a seizure, and pisses all over every morning. We had to pass an association rule against him........... He makes it look so easy.........
    kjrunninM_Wareellsworth53tDerekLrigpig
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    ellsworth53tellsworth53t Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM

I had to piss on the bike twice. The first time it went fine, but during my first 70.3 last year I just couldn't make it happen. When I got to the first porta potty on the run it was like:

QFT. This is me in T2.
  • Options
    I have never had this problem. Clearly you guys need to bike and run faster. ;)
    kjrunninTad_M
  • Options
    I approach every 70.3 and 140.6 with a goal of peeing myself while on the bike as many times as I can. Rule of thumb I follow is usually 2 times in a 70.3 and 3 to 4 in a 140.6. The more you drink, and pee, the better you set yourself up to run at, or close, to your potential. The biggest problem I've had with this is when you have chaffing going on already.
    mbrekk44GasBomb

Living life in pursuit of triathlon greatness and not pissing off my wife. Also trying to understand Dark Mark and why he's left New York yet again, but this time for Oklahoma. At least it's not Florida.

• Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM

I approach every 70.3 and 140.6 with a goal of peeing myself while on the bike as many times as I can. Rule of thumb I follow is usually 2 times in a 70.3 and 3 to 4 in a 140.6. The more you drink, and pee, the better you set yourself up to run at, or close, to your potential. The biggest problem I've had with this is when you have chaffing going on already.

Owie!!!!!!!!!! Ouch, Ouch, Ouch. Pre chafing sucks!

I think there's a chamois cream thread that's more fitting, but.....

Just for @DHansenTri , I think I'll patent and market a new cream. It will be mixed with several, all organic numbing agents, thoughtfully sourced in a sustainable, earth friendly manner.

Introducting...........DZ Numb Nutz!

DerekLDHansenTriKenElPescadoPeladoHSeeley14
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    GasBomb said:

What really bothers me is that no one else is commenting on how amazing this experience is! Seriously, am I weird? :p

I am with you!! I was so elated to pee on the run that I kept peeing!! Seriously, that is a danger people, please know that once your body thinks it is now ok to piss itself it may not stop. Then I wouldn't shut up about it after I finished. Never thought I would be that excited about unlearning something we are supposed to learn and never forget as toddlers.
    GasBombTad_MkjrunninKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options

Just for @DHansenTri , I think I'll patent and market a new cream. It will be mixed with several, all organic numbing agents, thoughtfully sourced in a sustainable, earth friendly manner.

http://hushgel.com/about/

Used this on a long bike ride once. Lovely. Blissful. Scary. Didn't feel a thing! Of course later that day while showering post long ride I thought I was going to die. Chafing to end all chafing. But during a race....just a thought.

Aaron WebsteyGasBombTad_Mkjrunnin
  • Options
    rigpigrigpig Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    HSeeley14 said:

http://hushgel.com/about/

Used this on a long bike ride once. Lovely. Blissful. Scary. Didn't feel a thing! Of course later that day while showering post long ride I thought I was going to die. Chafing to end all chafing. But during a race....just a thought.

Oh my Heather, you may have created a monster. How come I never knew about this shit? If I over use hushgel, would it consider to be doping? 1st layer Hushgel, 2nd layer bacon grease. I think I might be able to cut 5-10min off my IM time....
    Tad_MHSeeley14

Kevin Brydges
    You're the rig guy? You don't look like you worked on rigs....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch