frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

New Ironman venues

13»

Comments

• Options
    bbculpbbculp Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Martin said:

Thanks @Mark_after_Dark, I'll add that to the list.

Reasons to visit Tulsa:

1. Ironman Tulsa
    2. Very cool city

3. It's not Edmonton
    I've been to Tulsa (albeit in 2007 and without a bike) and Edmonton (in 2012 with a mountain bike). Give me Edmonton over Tulsa any day. Better weather too (I love snow and I think tornadoes are the scariest thing ever).
    James Lange
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    bbculp said:

Martin said:

Thanks @Mark_after_Dark, I'll add that to the list.

Reasons to visit Tulsa:

1. Ironman Tulsa
    2. Very cool city

3. It's not Edmonton
    I've been to Tulsa (albeit in 2007 and without a bike) and Edmonton (in 2012 with a mountain bike). Give me Edmonton over Tulsa any day. Better weather too (I love snow and I think tornadoes are the scariest thing ever).
    I'll give you one of those two:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonton_tornado

• Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    Wow, @Mark_after_Dark thanks for your first no-nonsense post in the history of this forum. Kudos.

Did you lose it during Everlong?
    Mark_after_DarkAaron WebsteyTad_MPevashishDaul
  • Options
    Johns622Johns622 Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    wow @Mark_after_Dark doesn't have time for a podcast, but he can write that?

That said, I'm sold on Tulsa Tough next year. Get me under 5 hours, then cry my way up cry baby hill on sunday!
    James LangeMark_after_DarkTad_M
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Alright @Mark_after_Dark, you've convinced me that Tulsa is on par with other great US Ironman cities (Madison, Chattanooga, Mesa, Panama City, the list goes on and on). I still don't think I'll ever do the race so long as it is in May though. If I was doing to take on the cost of doing a US Ironman it would definitely be one of the September races because training through the winter up here really fucking sucks.
    Mark_after_DarkMartin

• Options
    Mark_after_DarkMark_after_Dark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, POTM

Alright @Mark_after_Dark, you've convinced me that Tulsa is on par with other great US Ironman cities (Madison, Chattanooga, Mesa, Panama City, the list goes on and on). I still don't think I'll ever do the race so long as it is in May though. If I was doing to take on the cost of doing a US Ironman it would definitely be one of the September races because training through the winter up here really fucking sucks.

Oh, it is going to be hot on race day for sure, and during tornado season. However, Tulsa has been spared mostly from tornadoes due to specially placed Indian burial grounds. It is all really technical and scientific so I won't bore you with the details, but it works.
    bbculpTad_MM_WareAaron WebsteyMartinJames Lange
  • Options
    Mark_after_DarkMark_after_Dark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, POTM
    Johns622 said:

wow @Mark_after_Dark doesn't have time for a podcast, but he can write that?

That said, I'm sold on Tulsa Tough next year. Get me under 5 hours, then cry my way up cry baby hill on sunday!

I am working on a podcast, but a major diversion from the previous format. This one will have audible nudity (fine tuning the science now).
    kjrunninM_WareAaron WebsteyJohns622
  • Options

Oh, it is going to be hot on race day for sure, and during tornado season. However, Tulsa has been spared mostly from tornadoes due to specially placed Indian burial grounds. It is all really technical and scientific so I won't bore you with the details, but it works.
    Dude the end of May I hid in my closet 4 times and in the stairwell at work one time, and thought I was going to die one time when there was circulation a mile away, it fucking crossed the river, and I lost power.

Other than that I second everything Mark says, I love Tulsa.
    M_WareAaron Webstey
    Resident Genius.
  • Options
    A_drizzle said:

Dude the end of May I hid in my closet 4 times and in the stairwell at work one time, and thought I was going to die one time when there was circulation a mile away, it fucking crossed the river, and I lost power.

A_drizzle said:

Easy fix. Bury some Natives in your front yard. Don't have to be new bones, plenty of old ones on the dark web.
    Martin
  • Options
    idking90idking90 Member, Pro Triathlete
    You can tell me all you want about Tulsa, but...

Aaron WebsteyMattTad_MJohns622
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    idking90 said:

This is how Canadian hockey fans feel whenever the NHL expands to the southern US.
    MattCraig_DAaron Websteyidking90kjrunnin
  • Options
    idking90 said:

I don't really understand this. I like to do triathlons in cool and new places, why does it matter if it's not a huge hub for triathlon? Even though Tulsa does have a large triathlon community.
    Tad_M
  • Options
    @Mark_after_Dark I actually don’t doubt that Tulsa is surprisingly cool. I’ve been to plenty of places like it that are little oases of cool surrounded by not-cool (such as the weird hippie town in WV where I currently live).
    It is just kind of a funny coincidence that Tulsa is effectively replacing Boulder though. And I’m on record as not particularly caring for Boulder (Foco is way better), but it still seems there *ought* to be a race there.
    Jennifer Post
  • Options
    @idking90 I agree with you there. Having done Boulder and enjoyed the crowd support, particularly on the run course, it doesn't make sense to me
    idking90James Lange
  • Options
    @idking90 I guess I just didn't understand your meme. It's my poor intellect you see.
    idking90
  • Options
    @Mark_after_Dark probably because you live in Oklahoma.
    Matt
  • Options
    @idking90 I think he lives in upstate New York now. I guess that's basically the Oklahoma of New York, just with more hills and smug people.
    idking90
  • Options
    bbculp said:

@idking90 I think he lives in upstate New York now. I guess that's basically the Oklahoma of New York, just with more hills and smug people.

I do not live in OK anymore. I do live in upstate NY in a town where I am overqualified for Mayor as a community college dropout. Wouldn't have it any other way.
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers

bbculp said:

I do not live in OK anymore. I do live in upstate NY in a town where I am overqualified for Mayor as a community college dropout. Wouldn't have it any other way.
    It's a lovely town and I hope I get to go to there again
    #KOAT
  • Options

bbculp said:

You were in Utica. A different place from where I live. I would expect as much from an Albertan.
    James LangeCraig_D
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers

bbculp said:

You were in Utica. A different place from where I live. I would expect as much from an Albertan.
    Ah crap, I forgot. Sworry
    #KOAT
  • Options
    My only experience with upstate New York is Syracuse. Mark, why are people who went to Syracuse so smug? Are they aware it's not an Ivy League school or do they just tell them it is at orientation?
    Tad_MAaron Webstey
  • Options
    I don't have an answer for you Culp. Maybe something about braving the winters here.
  • Options
    @bbculp my guess is that it’s the latter.
    They’re at Syracuse, so they aren’t smart enough to know they’re being lied to.
  • Options
    SdogSdog Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    idking90 said:

@bbculp my guess is that it’s the latter.
    They’re at Syracuse, so they aren’t smart enough to know they’re being lied to.

Hey, wait a minute.... as a Syracuse graduate, I resemble that remark!!
    Craig_DM_WareMartinbbculpMattTad_M
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    edited June 2019
    Sdog said:

Hey, wait a minute.... as a Syracuse graduate, I resemble that remark!!

@Sdog not only a Syracuse grad, you also got a shout out in this week’s ‘If We Were Riding’ newsletter. @Kelly O'Mara still hasn’t mentioned TriRoost, but this is encouraging.

SdogCraig_DAaron WebsteyTad_M
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    Kelly O'MaraKelly O'Mara Member, Pro Triathlete
    @M_Ware hah, I didn't realize TriRoost was waiting eagerly for my comments
    M_WareSdogCraig_DMartinJohns622Aaron WebsteymaggieruTad_M
  • Options

@M_Ware hah, I didn't realize TriRoost was waiting eagerly for my comments

UH HELLO

Your email newsletter is awesome, said nobody between 2004 and whenever yours started
    M_WareSdog
    #KOAT

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch