frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Treadmill buying advice

Comments

• Options
    jrielley1406jrielley1406 Member, Pro Triathlete, POTM
    I wish @balsdorf! But if I had that extra cash it would be going towards a new bike! My 2013 Felt DA is getting a bit old...
    KHilgendorf
    “Pro” triathlete and dad to a crazy, wild, and fun little girl! So basically freaking out on a day to day basis...
  • Options
    The crazy thing is that the Peloton treadmill appears to be an "affordable"* version (rip-off) of a Woodway!

*excluding any subscription service contract requirements which I am sure are included
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    @Rash, those Woodways are awesome. Nothing's close IMO. So this is smart to copy (or partner?) for this tread. I've always been mystified why Woodway would never lower it's price. It's clear they've always gone after massive profit margin and lived with the resulting miniscule sales volumes. I had time to kill at a Life Fitness a couple years ago, and watched two techs do a repair for an hour. Pestered them to death. The design is great, but the apparent manufacturing cost differential never seemed to jive with the asking prices.
    If I was Woodway, I would license/private label, sell a gagillion through Peloton, and never have to stop being stubborn and admit the old business model was flawed (while I counted my new fat stacks of cash).
    M_WareRashAaron Webstey
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    During check out: $250 for install? Nope!

Now: I’d pay anything not to have to deal with this in my garage

Tad_MM_WareCraig_DEvanGentlemanJerseyDaveAaron Webstey

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options
    @Robert Rankin I had no desire to pay either then they said it was 350 pounds and I need it in the basement so I ponied up for the room of choice delivery. I should be able to put it together with my dad I assume. Good luck!
    Aaron Webstey
    “Pro” triathlete and dad to a crazy, wild, and fun little girl! So basically freaking out on a day to day basis...
  • Options
    The install really isn’t bad. I’ve got the entire thing together but have to wait on the wife to get home to install the hydraulic lift part on the bottom. Took me 2 hours with my 18 month old son “helping”
    M_Ware

• Options
    Robert RankinRobert Rankin Member
    edited January 2018
    Words of advice. Make certain you don't accidentally clip the upright covers on before the install is done (or let you child do it while you're not looking). It really makes tightening the bolts from step freaking 1 at the end of the install a pain in the ass. Also attaching the console is the biggest pain in the ass of the install. Tighten the 4 bolts holding it on once you get it lined up. Your knuckles will thank you.

Planning on breaking it in tomorrow with a really easy 2 mile marathon recovery jog. I also wouldn't recommend scheduling delivery the day after a marathon.
    M_Warejrielley1406kjrunninTad_M

• Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM

Score! Free pallets!
    Robert RankinAaron Webstey
  • Options
    Robert RankinRobert Rankin Member
    edited January 2018
    @KHilgendorf already planning on turning them into kids storage in the garage. Also the treadmill and bikes takes up all the walking room in a guest bedroom. Hopefully the in-laws and wife take the hint. Also free curbside delivery will get you in the garage delivery if you're nice to the driver
    KenElPescadoPelado

• Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    @Robert Rankin do your in-laws like you? If it were me, I’d stay over more often just to make you lug that giant clothes drying rack (a.k.a. treadmill) out of the room every time.
    Robert RankinCraig_D
  • Options
    @KHilgendorf they at least pretend to. My wife does, so for the time being I’ve moved my bikes every time they visit. We have an understanding that now the bikes will be moved like usual but the treadmill stays.

• Options

Words of advice....

Planning on breaking it in tomorrow with a really easy 2 mile marathon recovery jog. I also wouldn't recommend scheduling delivery the day after a marathon.

nice humblebrag. for those of you not on strava, Rankin cranked out a 2:55 marathon this weekend WITHOUT a Proform. Imagine the sub 2 hour he'll hit now that he's installed this bad boy!!

but for real, dude, that's speed. well done.
    Robert Rankinkjrunninsimonsen77maggieruCraig_DKenElPescadoPeladoAaron Webstey

unofficial non-general counsel for TRS Racing and other TRS-related entities
  • Options
    doyoueventribrodoyoueventribro Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    I just came here to brag to everyone that I just picked up a 5 year old Nordictrack c900 for free. The guy said it needed a new belt. It looked like he didn't have it tensioned/aligned properly and the belt flipped over onto itself. I picked it up last night, re-installed the belt properly and it purrs like a kitten.

The best part of it all was the guy also brewed his own wine and gave me a bottle before I left and still thanked me for "doing him a favor" and hauling away the treadmill.

I messaged my local bike shop to schedule a servicing because I could tell this guy probably never lubed it. I told him what happened and he said, "needs a new belt and deck" before even looking at it.

Has anyone had any other experiences with this happening on a treadmill? It's similar to what happened in this video:

simonsen77
  • Options
    Johns622Johns622 Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Along the same lines, i assume everyone is in agreement having a treadmill in the house is worthwhile?
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    I hate everything about treadmills haha. Damn thing is stuck at 15% incline, and I haven’t even ran on it yet. Trying to calibrate the incline but not sure if I’m doing it correctly and customer support literally just reads the owners manual. They’re sending me a whole new console when it worked perfectly fine yesterday
    Aaron Webstey

• Options

I hate everything about treadmills haha. Damn thing is stuck at 15% incline, and I haven’t even ran on it yet. Trying to calibrate the incline but not sure if I’m doing it correctly and customer support literally just reads the owners manual. They’re sending me a whole new console when it worked perfectly fine yesterday

From my experience this is treadmill support. It's cheaper to just replace parts than to actually troubleshoot the issue. Remember when there was such a thing as Appliance Repair men? and TV repair men?
  • Options
    Johns622 said:

Along the same lines, i assume everyone is in agreement having a treadmill in the house is worthwhile?

I live in Canada and hate snow. On the plus side I put my treadmill next to a window so if I run with my shirt off I might get a little bit of vitamin D in the winter.
    Johns622Craig_DKenElPescadoPeladoAaron Webstey
  • Options
    It’s annoying as all get out. I argued with her for 40 minutes before finally giving up and just telling her to send the part I don’t need. Going to disconnect the incline from underneath and hope it’s just a cable under the hood (which I can’t get to because the screws are hidden when it’s elevated). It makes a noise when I try to adjust the incline, so it’s getting a signal from the console.

As for whether it’s worth while. I’ve got a little one and it’ll make runs more convenient rather than dropping everything and going when I can. Also my wife wants to start running and is self conscious about doing it outside for some reason. I live in Fl though and will run outside whenever I can still.
    Aaron Webstey

• Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    @Johns622 , I live in Michigan. For me it's essential. I run 0 miles per week, and have to maintain that during the icy winter.
    Johns622kjrunninCraig_DA_drizzleKenElPescadoPeladoAaron Webstey
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    Anyone been eyeing one of these:

http://www.triathlete.com/2017/12/gear-tech/mind-blown-tacxs-new-smart-trainer-also-treadmill_309552

Consider me intrigued but I'm imagining it will hit a price point I should avoid.
    KenElPescadoPeladoAaron Webstey

Great Uncle, Average Father, Mediocre Triathlete

• Options
    $9300 - nix that. Still looks cool.

Great Uncle, Average Father, Mediocre Triathlete

• Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Johns622 said:

Debatable. Mine was free and I have the space for it (without having to creep out visiting relatives by running at the foot of their bed while they sleep like @Robert Rankin ) so I think it's worthwhile for the 6 or so times I run on it a year. If I had to spend my wine money on it or was short on space, I'd probably go run on a gym TM for the few times the weather trumps how boring running on the TM is.
    Johns622

• Options
    Anyone else got their proform? Hope you're having more luck. Just got done trying my best to be patient with a poor girl on their customer support line. A week ago I was told they were about to ship out my replacement console. After a week with no tracking info showing up I call, and after being told a week ago one was about to leave the warehouse, I'm told they're backordered and mine should ship sometime before the 9th of Feb. A month to wait an see if that's even the problem. Reviews weren't joking when they said their customer service sucked. Hopefully once working the treadmill works as good as the reviews say

• Options
    For those still following my saga; if you have an issue don’t bother calling them, just question them on social media. Things just get resolved faster that way
    EvanM_WareCraig_DKenElPescadoPeladoAaron Webstey

• Options
    Man @Robert Rankin that sucks! I’m getting mine delivered Saturday but I’m now having them put it together. I figured let them do it that way if something goes wrong it’s on them and they can’t say I did something wrong when putting it together.

You do make me a bit worried though! But as you said, hopefully I get one that works perfectly so I don’t have to talk to customer service. But I guess that’s like buying anything!
  • Options
    @jrielley1406 I wouldn't worry that much about it. I know two other people that got there's around the same time I did, and they're working fine. I called and talked to probably 6 different people in customer service with nothing but a "sorry" for a response. A simple tweet and I'm getting expedited shipping and they're sending a tech to install the console. In all honesty though, the install is really easy from an electronics standpoint. It's literally plugging the deck into the wall, and the console into the deck. I can screw things up pretty good, but have a hard time buying I did this one haha
    kjrunnin

• Options
    simonsen77simonsen77 Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Glad you got one useful response to that tweet!
    Robert Rankin
    First #BAAW Badge Recipient
  • Options

Glad you got one useful response to that tweet!

Yeah I actually opened my twitter account to get AT&Ts attention awhile ago. It’s crazy the extent companies value social media. Although you’re right, I probably should do hill repeats one day

• Options
    @Robert Rankin I figured it wouldn’t be too hard but with a 4 week old baby I figured I’d rather pay the $70 and have them do it! And I HATE spending money on things I think I can do.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch