frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Will Froome use the Salt Tab Defense?

RashRash Member
Should be interesting to see what happens based on who he is and the drug involved. At least they aren't denying knowledge of use this time. Salt tab defense is unlikely.

Chris Froome Returns Adverse Finding
Aaron Webstey

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    Alessandro Petacchi : 1360ng/ml banned 1 year
    Diego Ulissi : 1900ng/ml banned 9 months

Froome : 2000ng
    RashAaron WebsteyGasBombMamaCheetah
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM
    I bet he gets off with a warning.
    RashAaron Webstey
  • Options
    I don't have a dog in the fight or a full understanding of all the sciency stuff (considering all information is not public I question anyone who claims to), but the thing I don't get, assuming I am understanding what is in fact out there, is why that one day? He is taking a medication that is permitted without a TUE. He discloses he is taking it and even that he is upping his dosage. He is tested likely every day of the Vuelta (at least every day he is leading) and he is popped on only one day as being out of the limits. Seems to indicate a mistake in my mind more so than a deliberate attempt to illegally improve performance.

I am of course accepting the fact the drug is allowed up to a certain level and avoiding the discussion as to whether or not it should be which seems to derail most of these discussions. It's allowed and essentially available to all riders to use.
    Tad_MAaron Webstey
  • Options
    Mistake likely, perhaps based on him being slightly dehydrated (though I bet they keep him well hydrated) or something similar (low body fat?). But the bigger concern is why so much asthma for elite athletes. Do Sky and Nike share a doctor?
    RashAaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Paging @Adrienne. Is asthma more prevalent in ectomorphs than endomorphs and mesomorphs? Or is it evenly distributed across all body types?
    RashAaron WebsteyGasBomb
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    RashRash Member
    edited December 2017
    @IanL I was avoiding that larger conversation deliberately here, however I have to say it makes me very excited for "Tour de Pharmacy II: When Asthma ATTACKS!"

"Asthma" could also be a great character for a future @TheSufferfest workout. "Better catch Billboard. And don't let Asthma take your breath away on this next climb!"
    Tad_MIanLAaron WebsteyfyrehaarM_WareBrent_RmaggieruMamaCheetah
  • Options
    Never saw this coming. Clearly thought he doped in someway, like I do 90% of the other riders, but surprised they outed the golden child. Thought for sure they’d bury his positive.

I like how Nibali came out and said he also has asthma (like every other cyclist somehow) but didn’t need an inhaler because of the rain in the final stages.

RashAaron Websteyidking90maggieruMamaCheetah

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options
    doyoueventribrodoyoueventribro Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM

Never saw this coming. Clearly thought he doped in someway, like I do 90% of the other riders, but surprised they outed the golden child. Thought for sure they’d bury his positive.

I like how Nibali came out and said he also has asthma (like every other cyclist somehow) but didn’t need an inhaler because of the rain in the final stages.

I didn't understand Nibali's justification for not needing an inhaler during the rainy day. Sure, pollen and allergens can effect asthma symptoms but they two don't correlate perfectly.

I expect the next press release to be, "Froome cooperated with WADA and has since reproduced the findings from his positive test after stage 18 of la vuelta. As such WADA declares this as acceptable evidence to not proceed with any further sanctions against Chris Froome."

Team Sky: Publically fires doctor
    Chris Froome: "It's no secret that I have asthma and I will be more diligent in the future regarding my own personal health and dosages of any medications I am taking"

Rashsimonsen77idking90
  • Options
    That statement by Nibali was actually retracted from the original story - not sure if it was just him thinking out loud or him not wanting to get tangled in the finger pointing, but it must have been off the record. (also recalled he used to ride for Astana - glass houses and all).
  • Options
    @doyoueventribro I think you may be right on the outcome though. Froome must be somewhat confident in his chances with all the hoopla surrounding his Giro attempt - all of that coming long after he and the team were notified of the adverse result.
  • Options
    The Nibali comment is still here. I don't get the correlation either, I'd assume rain would make it worse. Although I seriously doubt their "asthma" as well. Would a couple puffs of an inhaler before a race help for say 3 hours? Asking for a friend
    Rash

• Options
    @Robert Rankin That is very odd. When I read it this morning (same source) there was a footnote indicating those statements had been retracted. The footnote is gone, however now there is an article on Velonews advising of Nibali's post stating the report of what he said was inaccurate and including his version of his statements.

If only the reporting in the cycling world was as top notch as that in triathlon!
    Robert RankinAaron WebsteyMamaCheetah
  • Options
    GasBombGasBomb Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    M_Ware said:

Paging @Adrienne. Is asthma more prevalent in ectomorphs than endomorphs and mesomorphs? Or is it evenly distributed across all body types?

Asthma is apparently more prevalent in drug cheats at elite levels of endurance sport. ;)
    M_WareMartinRashIanLTad_M

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options
    GasBomb said:

M_Ware said:

Asthma is apparently more prevalent in drug cheats at elite levels of endurance sport. ;)
    May have something to do with the medication raising their VO2max, or so I’m told. I feel like I may be asthmatic
    M_WareRashGasBombIanLMamaCheetah

• Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I'm just gonna leave this here, because it's perfectly normal for a guy to close this kind of gap on a charging peloton...
    IanLRobert RankinAaron WebsteyMamaCheetahShepherd
  • Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    I fixed it for you. @Martin

It's normal for a guy to close this kind of gap on a charging peloton...with a motor.
    M_Waresimonsen77Aaron WebsteyGasBombKenElPescadoPeladoMartin
  • Options

Convenient timing on needing the inhaler. Out of curiosity does anyone know what 1000 ng is exactly? How many times would one have to hit the inhaler to go over?
    Aaron Webstey

• Options
    The Secret Pro's take on it.
  • Options
    Rash
    Keeper of the Cowbell
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    NY Times: "Chris Froome Tests Positive, and Cycling History Repeats Itself"

also

THREAD
    Yesterday morning, news broke that Chris Froome had returned an Adverse Analytical Finding of Salbutamol in a sample taken during the Vuelta on 7 September. Many have commented on this, and often facts have been misstated or misinterpreted. I shall try to correct those. 1/

— Lukas Knöfler (@lukascph) December 14, 2017
    M_Ware
  • Options
    Two scenarios I hope play out just to watch everyone's head and keyboards explode:

1) The hearing is held immediately after the Giro. He is given an immediate suspension that ends the week prior the Tour that has no retroactive effects (he holds on to the Vuelta win); or
    2) Froome's lawyers successfully delay the hearing until after the Tour where he is suspended for the off season with no retroactive effect (he keeps the Vuelta and potentially the Giro and Tour).

I am going to start making popcorn now to make sure I have enough ready if either happens!
    KenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    Craig_DCraig_D Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    edited December 2017
    I think you're gonna need the extra large bag

https://goo.gl/images/GO6K2B
    M_WareKenElPescadoPelado
    Canadian Division
  • Options
    And here is what Oliver Holt of the Daily News has to say:
    "Hopefully Froome isn't as stupid and cynical as he sounds" http://dailym.ai/2AGwd6u

And William Fotheringham over at The Guardian: "Chris Froome buried under Team Sky’s cumulative baggage of allegations" https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2017/dec/16/chris-froome-buried--under-team-sky-baggage-credicility-cycling?CMP=share_btn_tw
    Martin
    Keeper of the Cowbell
  • Options
    ItsShugItsShug Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Jesus Christ why are any of you surprised by this? It's cycling. The dirtiest sport on the planet, next to crossfit douchebags.

Aaron WebsteyTad_MMartinCraig_DKenElPescadoPeladoMattMamaCheetahEvan
    Demotivational Speaker
    Master of the Absurd - King of all Polls
    Kansas Native
    Tweets Me  Follow ItsShug
  • Options
    Icarus. Netflix. A how to guide on cheating WADA
    Aaron WebsteyCraig_DKenElPescadoPeladorangamel

• Options
    New reports Justin Gatlin also blaming salt. Swears agent and coach were confused and meant to say sodium and not HGH/testosterone
    M_WarewchevronCraig_DAaron WebsteykjrunninTad_MHolty

• Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM

Months and months of heavy dosing and I'm seeing no great benefit.
    I feel like I'm doing something wrong......
    M_WareCraig_Dwchevron
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    idking90Craig_DKenElPescadoPeladoMartinStruang
    Keeper of the Cowbell

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch