frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Whats the story with BASE salts?

TriDVMTriDVM Member
I saw Maggie Rusch's recent blog post that she decided to paint over a sponsors logo on her race kit for St George. Pretty sure you can make out the logo (even though its a really good paint job).
http://www.ruschracing.com/rusch-racing/

I was also recently speaking with someone regarding race day nutrition and they mentioned BASE salts. There words were " I don't care for the company at all, but the product works for racing" and then we kind of moved on without me asking detail.

Anybody care to provide insight?
KenElPescadoPelado

Comments

• Options
    SeanHSeanH Member
    It's salt.
    balsdorfmbrekk44maggieruIanLGasBombMamaCheetah
  • Options
    Yeah I'd be really interested to hear what happened that changed her perception from this to blackmail and doping.

I've never used Base salts. Infinit works great and occasionally I'll pop a salt tab if it's really hot.
    MamaCheetah

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options
    "I'm being sued by BASE, please help"...
    KenElPescadoPeladomaggieruGasBombDawnCTad_MMamaCheetahMatt
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Sounds like a combination of bath salts and BASE jumping. Is it made from PCP?
    IanLGasBombPevashishDaulsimonsen77Tad_Midking90MamaCheetahMatt
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    maggierumaggieru Member, Pro Triathlete
    edited May 2017
    Happy to speak to this. I trusted a product and people I thought were my friends. Many, many, many people warned me to think twice before I moved into the house with one of the owners of Base salt but I disregarded their warnings. Big mistake.

On a product level, to help explain my "flip-flopping": I actually learned through sweat testing at CU that in fact the additional salt I have been taking during races actually has been hindering my performance and most likely caused my heat stroke, seizures and near-death collapse at Kona in 2013. Despite being a heavy sweater, I lose very little sodium. In fact, the majority of athletes think they need a lot of additional salt based on what they see secreted on their kits—when in reality between an American diet and drinks like Gatorade, there's actually very little reason to supplement additionally. We're already getting plenty. Yes, I was wrong before and stand corrected through additional research on myself and in general. Sorry if I misled anyone by previously supporting this product.

However, through living with the owner of the company briefly in Boulder, I also "saw how the sausage was made" and this is what I found most concerning. Primarily, I learned that there is little to no quality control of the product itself, no certifications, little oversight. Base is also supporting convicted doper/female pro Ashley Paulson. Despite what you think about second chances, I find the sponsorship of a former doper to be incredibly troubling and sets a terrible tone for clean athletes.

On a personal level—and I will not get too much into this because I have an open case with the police—I was evicted without discussion/agreement, stemming from a dispute in which I raised issue with dogsitting his flight attendant girlfriend's dogs for free 3-4 days every other week. I was subsequently blackmailed as he refused to hand-over mail received at the house (including close to $5,000 in work checks, tax forms, etc. etc) unless he received additional money I did not owe. When the police contacted him, he lied about his whereabouts and said he would return the mail to sender when he "got back to boulder" (that's all I was asking for—drop the mail back in the mailbox, not that hard). I have yet to see any forwarded mail and senders have not received anything either.

Checks can be recut and bills paid online so I initially was just going to sweep all of this under the rug and just move on with my life. However, Base employees continue to monitor my social media (seriously? get over yourselves) and people should know this is a company not to be trusted—mostly because the people at the top are the worst combination of narcissistic and incompetent. I did not listen to the many warnings directed my way and I want others to get the chance to do the same.

p.s. 99% sure it's himalayan sea salt.
    KenElPescadoPeladoCraig_DAaron WebsteySeanHToefuzzjakesaunderswchevronRobert RankinAlexSbalsdorfGasBombkjrunninMartinAlwaysCuriousDawnCsimonsen77Tad_MGentlemanJerseyDaveJennifer PostGranpa ChookKuchItsShugKPSwim13idking90M_WareMamaCheetahBrent_RAdam WMatt
    insta: @magrusch
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM
    Will you be starting a GoFundMe page soon to help recover the $5000 you lost. Then give all the money back 2 days later claiming " you were just looking to gauge the level of support from triathletes."

Or will the Like tags attached to your post suffice?
    idking90Aaron WebsteyMamaCheetah
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited May 2017
    This sounds like something that would happen if you moved in with a BATH salts dealer.
    EmilyCocksDawnCJennifer PostAaron WebsteyMamaCheetahMatt
  • Options
    EmilyCocksEmilyCocks Member, Pro Triathlete, POTM
    edited May 2017
    I have NEVER taken salt pills in my races or training my entire triathlon career. If you hydrate with sports drink and take gels you don't need it.
    AlwaysCuriousmaggieruGasBombGranpa ChookIanL
  • Options
    AlwaysCuriousAlwaysCurious Member, POTM
    Yes, for the vast majority of people in the vast majority of situations, in-race salt supplements are one of those gadgets that triathletes convince themselves they need to spend money on. That said, the other extreme of the health organizations saying to limit oneself to 1500mg sodium/day is just as wacky.

What works for the vast majority of people is to 1) avoid processed foods, and 2) keep a salt shaker on the table and use it liberally.

Sorry if this comes across as preachy, but getting the nutrients/minerals we need is pretty simple and cheap just through mindful eating. The triathlon industry marketing/sponsoring/hucksterism drives me crazy.
    KenElPescadoPeladoM_WareTad_MGasBombGranpa ChookEmilyCocksAaron WebsteyMamaCheetahCraig_D
  • Options
    RashRash Member
    A quick add to @maggieru comment on salt on your kit during a race - most people think that's a sign they are losing too much salt and need to supplement further. For many people it's actually thought (theorized) to be the opposite - it's excess salt in your sweat as a result of excess salt in your system.

Regardless - for most people salt supplementation is unnecessary and as we have discussed elsewhere your exercise induced cramps are not because you don't have enough salt.
    maggierusimonsen77IanL
  • Options
    maggierumaggieru Member, Pro Triathlete
    @wchevron I know my lengthy tome of a post might have been misleading but not sure whether to dark mark your comment or respond to it...

anyway. lots of people were asking about the kit. hope my answer to the question posed above helped clarify why I seemingly pulled a 180. again, I'm sorry if I misled anyone.
    Tad_MM_Wareidking90Robert RankinAaron WebsteyPevashishDaul
    insta: @magrusch
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM
    No need to apologize. I was only making a bad Rapp joke reference. Sounds like a shitty situation. Hope you get it all worked out.
    M_WareTad_MGasBombmaggieruMartinAaron WebsteyJennifer Post
  • Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Has anyone checked on the dogs? The dick promised to return your mail as soon as he "got back to Boulder" so no mail must mean he is still out of town. And his flight attendant girlfriend is probably too busy dragging passengers down the aisle to get home to let the dogs out.
    M_WareKenElPescadoPeladoGranpa ChookAlexSMamaCheetah
  • Options
    Good to see some people with sense on here about (not) taking salt in races... I never fucking understood that one. Lots of pseudoscience out there about salt preventing cramps in racing.

Don't eat like a donkey and you'll be fine.
  • Options
    ItsShugItsShug Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    But have you seen her Instagram??
    Demotivational Speaker
    Master of the Absurd - King of all Polls
    Kansas Native
    Tweets Me  Follow ItsShug
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member

Good to see some people with sense on here about (not) taking salt in races... I never fucking understood that one. Lots of pseudoscience out there about salt preventing cramps in racing.

Don't eat like a donkey and you'll be fine.

GasBombwchevronTad_MKenElPescadoPeladoRobert Rankinsimonsen77MamaCheetahCraig_DDawnCMatt
  • Options
    I used BASE salt one season and ended up projectile vomitting right after ingesting some during IM CDA 2015. That was the end of that!
    KenElPescadoPeladoGasBomb
  • Options
    Sorry to hear what you're going through. I don't know him but am not really surprised to hear he's juvenile. His social media presence looks more like a frat kid than a business owner. Always find it funny when he has to defend it's not just Himalayan salt. Looks just like it.
    Aaron WebsteyMamaCheetah

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options
    PevashishDaulPevashishDaul Member, POTM
    I used Base Salt once and ended up punching a hooker. Things got really interesting later when my colon fell out while playing backgammon with Stan.
    idking90kjrunninAaron WebsteyMartinGasBombMamaCheetahTad_MDawnC
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    @maggieru the likes speak for themselves, but thank you for the frank and sincere response.
    #KOAT
  • Options
    PevashishDaulPevashishDaul Member, POTM
    Sorry Maggie, i have to disagree with your characterization of the fine gentleman.

Anyone who takes the time to share online vital, life changing events such as purchasing a belt is a-ok in my book.

Im considering breaching my own contract with Base instead switching to table pepper. Sue that you philanthropic sumanabitch.
    MamaCheetahKenElPescadoPeladoTad_M
  • Options
    MamaCheetahMamaCheetah Member, POTM
    Not trying to defend BASE or any ethical conduct, but I am a low carb / high fat endurance athlete and supposedly when you don't overeat on the carbs, your body dumps its water (and it's salt). All the medical folks that support LCHF say you do need to supplement the minerals and I have found myself in need of a little extra magnesium. I looked at the Himalayan salt vs BASE ingredients and if my old lady brain can remember, Himalayan salt doesn't have the potassium and magnesium. That said, not sure you can't just get the added minerals in another supplement if even a multi vitamin.
    KenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    I need a shower.
    Aaron WebsteyMartinGasBombIanL

Do you know who I am?

• Options
    IanLIanL Member

Not trying to defend BASE or any ethical conduct, but I am a low carb / high fat endurance athlete and supposedly when you don't overeat on the carbs, your body dumps its water (and it's salt). All the medical folks that support LCHF say you do need to supplement the minerals and I have found myself in need of a little extra magnesium. I looked at the Himalayan salt vs BASE ingredients and if my old lady brain can remember, Himalayan salt doesn't have the potassium and magnesium. That said, not sure you can't just get the added minerals in another supplement if even a multi vitamin.

So quick question, but if a healthy diet requires certain minerals for optimum performance and what you are eating doesn't include those, is what you are eating a healthy diet or at the very least the diet for your activity?

I think most of us agree that limiting the need of supplements is a good thing and there are a tons of foods that are high in magnesium. So wouldn't you be best off adding some of those foods into your diet?

Also, just eat some nuts/seeds. Many are high in both magnesium and fat, which seems like the easiest way to get what you need for your style of diet.
    MamaCheetahAaron Webstey
  • Options
    @IanL thanks for your note and keen observation! Just like any diet, you may not get everything you need from food. I eat plenty of nuts and have started adding pumpkin seeds as well. I also have to take a fish oil every day because I don't eat enough omega 3s and I take a CoQ10 because as you age, your body deceased the production .... I definitely try to solve deficiencies with diet first, then supplements. Plus, the pizza and lucky charms diet I was on for 42 years was starting to do some bad shit to me :)
    Aaron WebsteyGasBomb
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Time for breakfast ! I think I will go eat some base salt. Yum.
    Aaron WebsteyKHilgendorfTad_MKenElPescadoPeladoGasBombPevashishDaul

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch