frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

St George 70.3 Throwdown!!!

13»

Comments

• Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited May 2017

Has there been any discussion/evidence/finger-pointing over Brownlee getting a draft off of the lead moto? I'm assuming there was one, even though they couldn't be bothered to put a CAMERA on it. And I'm assuming that it was like every other ironman race--it was way too close to the lead cyclist and providing a draft.

But that's a lot of assumptions on my part, so I may just be making an ass out of myself.

No. As usual, the lead motos were dedicated to Holly Lawrence. Ha ha.
    maggieruGasBombneil5youngTad_M
  • Options
    AlwaysCuriousAlwaysCurious Member, POTM
    I'm not one to think that a 56 mile ride is a whole lot longer than a 25 mile one, so it doesn't surprise me that he's as dominant in 70.3 as at Oly distance. But I'm mostly just surprised at the lack of discussion of moto-drafting because folks have jumped all over Tim Don's and Brent McMahon's bike splits.

So is this just a case of Brownlee being royalty and nobody is allowed to suggest anything that might tarnish his glow? Dear god, I hope we're not creating another Paula Radcliffe.
    SeanHTad_M
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
  • Options
    AlwaysCuriousAlwaysCurious Member, POTM
    Let's just hope it doesn't turn out to be defective. That could get really ugly.
    Aaron WebsteyTad_M
  • Options
    SeanHSeanH Member
    Matt said:

It's got to be his new bike

I thought it was the bad beef?
    GasBombTad_M
  • Options
    Mark_after_DarkMark_after_Dark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, POTM
    Martin said:

Matt said:

Are we allowed to poke fun at sub-4 70.3 guys?

Is Shoemaker a sub 4 guy?

neil5youngMartinGasBombSeanHTad_M
  • Options
    Brent_RBrent_R Member
    @Martin You think Ironman splurged on a lead moto? Andrew's gotta get that bonus for another quarter, man. Ain't no money for such luxuries. I'm sure it was just "know the course" out there.
    MartinGasBombTad_M
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers

@SeanH Hah! The british worship and fanboi behavior is one reason I dislike Ali for some reason (besides his reputation for being a prick and possible involvement in the 'Dirty Harry' incident). Obviously he is an insanely talented athlete, but it just rubs me the wrong way at times.

I know the Canadians all worship Sanders, but they are much more polite about it.

sworry
    balsdorfMartinGasBomb
    #KOAT
  • Options
    So it seems Brownlee has the strength to do this. It was interesting to hear him talking about managing the last few k of the run because he was feeling a touch dehydrated and down on fuel and electrolytes and didn't want to risk blowing up when he had such a comfortable cushion. Clearly the risk/reward balance changes if Lionel is 20s back at that point.

It will be interesting to see some of these duels developing over the next 12-18 months but honestly come 70.3 Worlds I don't see Sanders being a factor. As noted, with Frodo, Brownlee and Gomez et al on the start line Sanders doesn't see the race and complains about drafting again (ironic given the observations about Sanders legal slingshotting Kienle all day).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch