frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

St George 70.3 Throwdown!!!

Comments

• Options
    Martin said:

Are we allowed to poke fun at sub-4 70.3 guys?

Sure, why not? I haven't done 4 70.3's yet either. I'm sure they had other things to do.
    Aaron WebsteyMartinsimonsen77scottykjrunnin
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    KA-nu-te' rockin it with the oldies! This is gonna be epic. I hope Middaugh rides his mountain bike just to be a bad ass.
    Aaron WebsteyGasBombsimonsen77idking90MamaCheetah
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Bump, so we can forget about the lawsuits and talk about racin'!
    GasBombTad_MAaron Webstey
  • Options
    GasBombGasBomb Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    @Martin Do we really have to wait another week for this epic showdown? ugh
    Tad_MAaron Webstey

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options
    Quite a race...
  • Options
    Almost halfway through the run Holly still has a commanding lead but is losing time to the hard charging Seymour who is now just 6 minutes back!"

Soon it'll be: "Seymour closing fast. She might catch Lawrence before she leaves the massage tent."
    M_WareAaron WebsteyMamaCheetah
  • Options
    Absolutely hysterical. Brownlee just made anyone who ever doubted his bike look a complete fool.
    mbrekk44Aaron Websteyfyrehaar
  • Options
    When the wind blows in St George... it fucking blows. Only 4 guys rode under 2:10 last year (sanders, kienle, gambles, collington) only one in 2015 (mckenzie). Maybe more, but I didn't count past the first page.

When it doesn't, well... 16 guys rode under 2:10 this year. 14 rode under 2:10 in 2014.
    MartinKenElPescadoPeladoGasBombAaron WebsteyMamaCheetah
  • Options
    BROWNLEE?!?! Dude is another species!
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    Matt said:
    #Froomey #MarginalGains
    MamaCheetah
  • Options
    Biggest surprise for me was Jackson Laundry, a young Canadian ITU guy mixing it up well for 8th here and 5th last week at St Anthony's.
    MartinAaron WebsteyMamaCheetah
  • Options
    mbrekk44mbrekk44 Member, POTM
    The red coats won the battle of St. George
    M_WareJennifer PostMartinNate_MachMamaCheetah
  • Options
    ellsworth53tellsworth53t Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Ok, @GasBomb after today, I'd like to apply to the Lionel Sanders fanclub.
    I've been a fan, but the way that dude laid down today, I'm team Lionel 4 lyfe.

Really impressive today, @Lionel Sanders
    M_WareGasBombTad_MAaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoMattMamaCheetahkjrunnin
  • Options
    @ellsworth53t I can help with the application process. As for Brownlee vs Sanders, Kienle described his view from 3rd place as him watching alien vs predator. Apt description tri fans. And guess where Lionel went after dinner last night, the pool. Game on.
    Tad_MM_WareAaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoMattMamaCheetahCraig_D

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I really thought Lionel would come out of the water closer based on the improvements he has demonstrated this year. So, at T1's blog report, I was a bit sad for Lionel. Following along with the bike slug fest really didn't prepare me to watch him take 2 and a half minutes out of Ali on the run. Simply amazing. Go Lionel!!!!!! Dude is great for the sport in so many ways.
    M_WareKenElPescadoPeladoMattGasBombAaron WebsteyCraig_DMamaCheetah
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
  • Options
    @Tad_Machrowicz For the conditions it was a super fast swim (way to go
    Kanute)
    *last year Lionel would have been 5 minutes down or more.
    Tad_MAaron Webstey

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options
    MamaCheetahMamaCheetah Member, POTM

Evan said:

what kind of steaks do they serve at St George? Asking for a friend (Brownlee)...

I was just telling a friend this morning my new weight loss strategy is to start eating lots of tainted beef.
    Ha ha ! You said 'taint' ! @BALLSdorph - life imitating art imitating life !!!

Aaron WebsteyGasBombMartinHSeeley14balsdorfKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    MamaCheetahMamaCheetah Member, POTM
    I'm starting my diet tomorrow: poppy seed bagels and tainted meat. Extra taint ! (Yes, now I said it).
    GasBombMartinHSeeley14balsdorfkjrunnin
  • Options
    RashRash Member
    Goes without saying, but wish they had coverage. Would have wanted to see how Ali's run looked. A lot of talk about Sanders taking time out of him, but my prediction is Ali was allowing that with the 3 minute cushion he had out of T2. Ali is a very experienced racer and a phenomenal runner - I have no doubt he could have hammered the run if needed but knew his splits and what he needed to do.

As for Sanders swim, this was more like a championship race (still not as deep) and there was no salt water to keep his ass floating like he had in Oceanside. There will be more fast, quality swimmers at a championship race (be it 70.3 or 140.6) who will create a larger, faster front group whom Sanders will never see in the water and then half those guys will create a very fast front pack on the bike that will take Sanders longer to bridge to if he ever gets there. If he can stay within spitting distance of Kienle the two of them can work together to try to bridge, but that's still going to be a herculean effort just to catch up to the front in time for the drag race on the run.

Sanders is a beast on the bike/run and I like rooting for him, however he only shaved about 30 seconds off Brownlee's lead on the bike despite Ali taking the back half pretty much on his own and Sanders working with Keinle. Come 70.3 worlds that front group will have at least Gomez, Brownlee and Frodo pushing the bike and likely running together - Sanders never sees them once the gun goes off unless there are some out and backs on the bike/run.
    Aaron WebsteyMartinfyrehaar
  • Options
    SeanHSeanH Member
    Sanders was not working with keinle. Keinle is on record saying he went around sanders 3x but sanders immediately surged back past him. Looks like sanders may have to eat his words about people working together on the bike if he's going to have a chance against Brownlee.
    Aaron WebsteyGasBombHSeeley14MamaCheetahKenElPescadoPeladofyrehaar
  • Options
    Agreed @GasBomb , the uber swimmers killed it. Not being critical of LS, quite the opposite. Look at 16 vs 17, and 17 Oceanside vs. 17 St. G. Salt vs. Fresh, which pack you catch, blah blah, I just think the swim Gods didnt quite shine on him yesterday and truly reward him for all the improvements he has earned. This should scare the crap out of the pro field, and make him smile.
    GasBombAaron WebsteyMamaCheetah
  • Options
    maggierumaggieru Member, Pro Triathlete
    Saw Ali with 2ish miles to go and he looked super super chill. Very relaxed body and face. Sanders came past a minute or two later looking like a bull in a china shop in comparison.

Ali also (playfully) called Kienle out for trying to cut in line at the Pro porta-potties haha
    HSeeley14Aaron WebsteyMamaCheetahGasBombidking90Tad_MKenElPescadoPelado
    insta: @magrusch
  • Options
    This whole "LS took 2:30 out of AB on the run" thing is overhyped. AB is smart as hell. Why would he run faster than he needed to?

And if "I passed him three times and he surged back past me" isn't a slingshot/working together on the bike, what is it?
    HSeeley14Aaron WebsteyMamaCheetahmaggierumbrekk44Tad_MRobert RankinKenElPescadoPeladoRashfyrehaar
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited May 2017
  • Options
    @Martin, good point, you're likely right that Ali kept it in the tank, and we know LS goes full blast. Can't wait to watch the rest of the year play out.
    Aaron WebsteyMartinMamaCheetahfyrehaar
  • Options
    Based solely on the wonderful Twitter updates, Brownlee dominated that race. It just makes for a better story saying Sanders put time into him. I'm a Sanders fan, but don't see how he beats Ali, Javier, or Jan coming out of the water 3 minutes down at that distance.
    GasBombAaron WebsteyMamaCheetahTad_M

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options
    AlwaysCuriousAlwaysCurious Member, POTM
    Has there been any discussion/evidence/finger-pointing over Brownlee getting a draft off of the lead moto? I'm assuming there was one, even though they couldn't be bothered to put a CAMERA on it. And I'm assuming that it was like every other ironman race--it was way too close to the lead cyclist and providing a draft.

But that's a lot of assumptions on my part, so I may just be making an ass out of myself.
    jakesaundersAaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoTad_M
  • Options
    SeanHSeanH Member
    @AlwaysCurious prepare your anus. The brits are about to rip you a new one for questioning triathlon Jesus' biking ability!
    Aaron WebsteyGasBombbalsdorfKenElPescadoPeladoMamaCheetahCraig_DTad_Mkjrunnin
  • Options
    @SeanH Hah! The british worship and fanboi behavior is one reason I dislike Ali for some reason (besides his reputation for being a prick and possible involvement in the 'Dirty Harry' incident). Obviously he is an insanely talented athlete, but it just rubs me the wrong way at times.

I know the Canadians all worship Sanders, but they are much more polite about it.
    M_WareKenElPescadoPeladoMamaCheetahCraig_DTad_Mkjrunnin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch