frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Anyone familiar with trp aero brakes?

Before I throw my bike in the garbage, can someone help a brother out. Swapped wheels on my Norcom which required changing pads. New wheels are wider. I've removed the spacer on the brake pad, but the brake pad still rubs the wheel when the brake isn't engaged? How the fuck do you adjust these brakes? I seriously am about to just remove the pads and have no rear brakes.

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
KenElPescadoPelado

Comments

• Options
    yournotuniqueyournotunique Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Just answering the subject, but somebody probably is. Not me, but somebody else.

$95, please.
    simonsen77Robert Rankin
    -I know it's wrong. Blame old AOL character limits. Illadelph |
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    While bike shopping I've been considering some bikes that have these, so I read up on them a little. Seems like it's not an uncommon issue. While I'm a bit skeptical about it, there seem to be a lot of people on the internet saying something could be shaved down without compromising safety or braking power. Got Dremel?
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    I'm not much help. Just here to sympathize. I have the TRP aero brakes and they are serious pain. One thing I found that helps is that you can listen the star driver screw that holds the cable in place on the "pull" side (where the cable comes in not the far side). Let out just a little cable and reclaim it. That should open the brake just a bit more. But even having done that my race wheel still rubs sometimes if I don't center it right.

Frustrating.
    Robert Rankin
    Beer-fueled triathlete
  • Options
    I don't have those brakes, but I had to cut a few MM off the top of my brake pads on my Scott when putting on wide wheels. You also could just use old, worn down pads if you have them laying around.
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    Thinner brake pads: Swissstop Black Prince - Flash EVO

Barrel adjuster in the brake cable?

Usually TRP levers have an adjuster in the levers.

KenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    yournotuniqueyournotunique Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Don't shave your brake pads, that's just asking for trouble. Shave your tires down a bit. Probably a lot safer that way.
    Robert RankinwchevroniamuwereMartinTad_M
    -I know it's wrong. Blame old AOL character limits. Illadelph |
  • Options
    Matt said:

Thinner brake pads: Swissstop Black Prince - Flash EVO

Barrel adjuster in the brake cable?

Usually TRP levers have an adjuster in the levers.

Sadly I don't have TRP levers. I have SRAM levers, no inline barrel adjuster, going to the TRP brakes.

Beer-fueled triathlete
  • Options
    Yeah no trp levers, pretty sure they're shimano. I'll double check. Had to leave my house for beer and tacos before I lost my mind. Will continue breaking my bike shortly.

• Options
    Robert RankinRobert Rankin Member
    edited December 2016
    Visual idea of what I'm fighting. Confirmed shimano levers. I love my bike, but I'd almost pass on the deal I got on it because of these fucking brakes

• Options
    Mark_after_DarkMark_after_Dark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, POTM
    These brakes are hot garbage. I ran mostly only rear brakes on the Falco half the time because they were so fucking shitty. Might be worth it to upgrade to TriRig.

Good luck.
    Robert Rankin
  • Options
    I would in a hot second if I knew it was compatible with my bike. How would the rear mount under the chainstay?

• Options
    Mark_after_DarkMark_after_Dark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, POTM
    What do you have, a Fuji D6?
  • Options
    Is the brake a 2 bolt mount or single center bolt mount?
  • Options
    Fuji Norcom 2 bolt mount

• Options
    EmilyCocksEmilyCocks Member, Pro Triathlete, POTM
    I have those...adjust by using the star bolt and letting the cable out a little. Also, they can get pretty grimey and gunked up so it is good to take them off periodically and clean them out so they move properly. Also, that little bolt right there on the side (that is exposed) can move the brake caliper a bit so they "pull" evenly. You can try adjusting that and see if you get more room on the other side. Just remember which way and how much you turn it.
    MattRobert RankinM_WareKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options

I have those...adjust by using the star bolt and letting the cable out a little. Also, they can get pretty grimey and gunked up so it is good to take them off periodically and clean them out so they move properly. Also, that little bolt right there on the side (that is exposed) can move the brake caliper a bit so they "pull" evenly. You can try adjusting that and see if you get more room on the other side. Just remember which way and how much you turn it.

That bolt moves the caliper in microscopic increments apparently. The star bolt being the one that releases the end of the brake cable?

• Options
    Robert RankinRobert Rankin Member
    edited December 2016
    6 beers and 7 YouTube videos later and I got it. Had to adjust the spring tension (exposed bolt) on either side and adjust the dropouts. Nick from Tririg said there's not alternative to these pieces of garbage. Admittedly when they're set, they work ok. I'll be selling my disc though because it's narrow and I don't feel like doing that ever again. Also might be worth investing in a work stand
    M_Wareiamuweresimonsen77

• Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Thank you for posting this as I was briefly coming out of my "Who the hell thought putting brakes under the bike was a good idea?" phase. Kudos to @Robert Rankin for bringing the Dark @Dark_mark back to us.
    Mattsimonsen77
  • Options
    It's a pretty terrible (not user friendly at all) design. I was able to do it without taking the crank off which, from what I read, is an accomplishment.

Anyone know the going rate for an older (2011/12ish) Zipp 900 that's been used a good bit?

• Options
    Front Brake mandatory, rear brake optional
    Robert RankinMatt

village idiot

• Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    You would not have this problem with disc brakes.
    simonsen77KenElPescadoPeladoyournotuniqueIanL
  • Options
    espej09 said:

Front Brake mandatory, rear brake optional

To bump this back up, I just broke the rear brake and will be following this motto this season.

• Options
    i think trp bought some ads from me and i think they're the best in the world. i was just talking to jordan and he thinks they're the most adjustable and effective brakes in the market.

edit: jordan tells me that in the interest of full disclosure, he got a free pack of gum from trp and that didn't affect his impression of their excellent products.
    Aaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPelado
    my shift key has been broken since 1994.
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    What brake cable housing? I've found that compressionless (Jagwire KEB-SL) works wonders.
  • Options
    It's jagwire but beyond that I'm not sure. They're the older version before the switch to linear pull. Mechanic is going to look as see if he can rig any other brake in there. If not I'll order the linear pull one that I hear is slightly better, which isn't saying much.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch