frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Yokohama - a dog's breakfast of Olympic qualifications

Comments

• Options
    Zach MillerZach Miller Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    http://www.triathlon.org/rankings/olympic_qualification/male

Looking at at that list the 3rd US men is ranked 43rd, I see some countries that have 4 ahead of the 3rd US Spain and France right off the top but I also see countries that don't even have 2 athletes before the 3rd US make.

• Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Canadian, so no real skin in the discussion around the US men's team, but...

Olympic qualifications in any sport are a bit of a dog's breakfast. Look at how many swimmers from the US and some of the other powerhouses don't make it through their own country's Olympic Trials, but would probably final at the Games if they got there.

To those suggesting the US men not send three athletes, give your friggin' head a shake. You earned the slots. How is it in any way better for your sport to not use them? When I was young and mildly ambitious, though sorely untalented, I would rather have come DEAD FREAKING LAST at the Olympics than to outright win just about any other race. You have 12 year old kids that are dreaming of making the Olympics right now. They should be given the hope they need to train like crazy people for the next 8 to 12 years in order to make it.
    Ryan HeislerM_WareAaron WebsteyGasBomb
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    I am also still bitter about Paula Findlay's DFL in London.
    James LangeAaron WebsteyBrent_RMartinKelly O'MarapeteJennifer Postdoyoueventribro
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Gwen is invincible and the US women have an outside chance at sweeping the podium if they send Katie. No brainer in my mind.

I definitely support the idea that no country gets more than 3 spots. Its important for the growth of the sport that as many national triathlon bodies as possible get to send their best to the Olympics.

That being said, if a country earned 3 spots they sure as hell better use them!
    Aaron WebsteyBrent_Rpete

• Options
    idking90idking90 Member, Pro Triathlete
    @James Lange interesting though, as some countries don't abide that principle. Barrie Shepley was saying during the broadcast that despite her earning a spot for the Netherlands, it was possible that the Netherlands federation would turn down a slot for Caelers because they felt she wasn't enough of a contender.
    I can see the "it's embarrassing to get lapped or DFL" side of things, but by turning down a rightfully earned spot, you're just perpetuating it by letting the spot roll down even farther to another country.
    Maybe you can make the argument that it's more harmful/embarrassing for a USA/AUS/GBR/NED to have a low finishing athlete, outweighed by the benefit of letting a tiny country with no history of participation in the Olympic triathlon get its one athlete into the games. But I'm not sure that's true except for Internet pundits who criticize the guy who finishes last place in the Olympics. Nobody criticizes the middle reliever who still gets a World Series ring as "worthless and shouldn't be there." It's a weird thing about triathlon where that happens.
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    ChrisFosterChrisFoster Member, Pro Triathlete
    Since the lack of information from USAT has created a void in which we can play selector, I did a little digging and whittled down Jason's List to those who even remotely fill the selection criteria for a domestique (IMO none of the women do, but that's pretty subjective):
    • Katie Zaferes - Strong swimmer, strong biker, most experienced at WTS
    • Kirsten Kasper - Strong swimmer, strong (enough) biker, experienced at WTS
    • Renee Tomlin  Has struggled on the swim
    • Summer Cook  Struggled heavily on the bike at Yoko
    • Lindsey Jerdonek Said today on Instagram she didn't make it.
    • Erin Dolan Slower swimmer than Gwen/very little experience.
    • Erin Jones  Often *dropped* on the bike
    • Taylor Spivey - Very unlikely, but not impossible -- fits the profile
    • Kaitlin Donner Swim too slow/little experience
    • Chelsea Burns Swim too slow/little experience
    • Taylor Knibb Super untested at high level races (doesn't meet front-pack WTS requirement), but otherwise an interesting choice.
    • Nicole Truxes Untested at WTS events
    • Avery Evenson Untested at WTS events
    • Johanna Gartman Untested at WTS events
    • Bria Edwards Untested at WTS events
    • Jessica Broderick Swim too slow/lots of DNFs
    Without saying who I think should go to Rio, Zaferes, Kasper, and Spivey are really the only ones who possibly could.

Thoughts?
    idking90
  • Options
    EmilyCocksEmilyCocks Member, Pro Triathlete, POTM
    If USAT tries to get cute with this selection it's going to backfire and they are going to come home with nothing. 
    Jennifer PostBrent_RAaron Webstey
  • Options
    I don't understand why everybody is saying the US men don't deserve 3 spots.  Yes they will not win but they will be somewhere in the middle of the pack.  Give me 3 names that would be better off at the Olympics then the US men.  All the top names will be there.  Based on what you are saying then we should only send the top 20 athletes to Rio.

yes there is maybe a 4th athlete from other countries that are ahead of our 3rd athlete, but how many of those are there ? 1-2 okay cool 1-2 people better athletes don't get spots but now if we are talking 3-10 athletes then yes maybe there is a case to talk about 

Mag900 posts as @Jennifer Post here on TRS.
    idking90

Do you know who I am?

• Options
    edited May 2016
    I agree @Zach Miller. The Olympics wouldn't be what it is if the only athletes allowed to compete were true medal contenders. I think that would leave a field of about 6-8 for both the women and men's triathlon, and similar fields for other sports. I don't think that this would make any of these events better. Some of the middle-of-the-pack finishers in Rio will be contenders in Tokyo, and they'll be better for the experience.

• Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter

Who is Mag900? God help me. Is it an obnoxious poster on ST?

As for sending 3 males or not...it's just interesting to see how some Natl Federations fill all qualified slots and others don't. Or at least haven't confirmed. My fav Lisa Norden is still waiting to hear from Swedish Olympic Committee if they'll send her. Sweden is allocated 1 slot but SOK isn't sure they want to send her unless they think she has potential to finish in Top 8 in Rio and with her injuries they are not certain.

I know it's silly given the Olympics and all the politics but I like objective criteria so when it gets subjective I long for simple black and white rules.

• Options
    Granpa ChookGranpa Chook Member
    edited May 2016
    I like this term "dog's breakfast."

Learn something new everyday.

ok carry on, carry on...
    M_Ware
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    If USAT tries to get cute with this selection it's going to backfire and they are going to come home with nothing. 
    You mean they will come home with  nothing but the one medal (gold), right?
    James Lange
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    My boss says it often. Hm.
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Kelly O'MaraKelly O'Mara Member, Pro Triathlete
    USAT hasn't selected its selection committee? http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/katie-zaferes-waiting-learn-olympic-fate
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options

Ah the politics of American selections... my few cents worth

1. I look at the men's rankings circulated and it is odd you get 3 slots when you probably won't get a guy in the top 10 (realistically this could be 20) and 1 of those slots would, for me, be far better given to smaller developing countries/ federations.

2. IF (and I accept this is a big if), the women all go true to form and there are no unforeseen mishaps, crashes punctures etc, its hard to say KZ is a strong podium shout. Yes she has had good results in the first half of last year BUT... in the three biggest races of the past 12 months (Rio, Grand Final and Yoko) she has failed to deliver and has consistently been beaten by Sarah True (who has herself been beaten by the Brits when it counts).

3. IMHO the best chance that Sarah True and KZ would have of getting on the podium is getting of the bike 30-45 seconds ahead of the three Brits, who will themselves be desperate to get off the front in any break away as it makes life much tougher on Gwen if they can put 30 seconds plus come T2... So if the US wants the clean sweep they in essence have to attack relentlessly on the bike and hope that KZ and ST can get off the front without any of the Brits and without shooting Gwen's legs to bits as well - that sounds to me like a pretty tough strategy to make work...

4. So... domestique??? Well I'm not convinced that works either... on recent form Gwen swims with or ahead of the Brits, she's unlikely to need a domestique to pull her back to the pack. Gwen then doesn't need to try and get out, she just needs to make sure that the Brits don't get away up the road. Now will a domestique vs KZ make a difference to this? For the reasons in 3, no it won't, if the Brits get up the road KZ and ST don't catch them on the run, so their interests are directly aligned with Gwen, all three American's need to get up the road after them ASAP. I don't see how a domestique makes much difference. I understand from the above that Spivel(??) might be a better biker but is young and untested (and how's her run?) - unless she really is an uber biker (a la Flora Duffy) I'm sceptical whether there's a substantial enough difference.

5. Finally, given that accidents/ the unforeseen can and do frequently happen (especially on tight technical bike courses) which might mean that Brits/ Gwen/ Sarah T might not be in the mix up coming out of T2 in which case the goal posts have moved and surely you want the next best shot you have in the race.

In conclusion - on a "normal" day if everyone goes true to form I don't think KZ medals (sorry guys) but on that same normal day I don't think a domestique effects the race. On that basis, KZ should definitely go as a) the next in the rankings, b) the most likely to get a medal, c) arguably the most fitting individual to be a domestique in any event.

balsdorfJennifer PostAaron Webstey
  • Options
    Brent_RBrent_R Member
    I actually think they should shrink the Olympic triathlon down to a field of 12 or 20. I think it would make for a much more interesting and different race dynamic when you don't automatically have dozens and dozens biking together. I know this won't happen because the IOC and ITU want as many countries as possible racing, but at least it would differentiate an Olympic win from just winning a WTS race where everyone is just really on form.
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Didn't this shit happen in 2008 with TriCan? Tichelaar was in the top 10 in the world, had a chance at a podium but Canada decided Whitfield was the only one with a shot, so they asked Tichelaar to domestique. He refused, got pulled from the team, then fought to be back on and ultimately was allowed to race for himself, but with a ton of undue stress that saw him quitting the sport after Beijing.

I see USAT failing in a similar way here. KZ earned the spot. Stop fucking with her. And don't ask her to subvert her own aspirations for the greater good. That's just asking for her to jump in the race and give a giant middle finger to USAT. If I were in her shoes as a domestique, I'd swim front pack, then destroy the bike. Do whatever I could to drop the other USA athletes, then get DQ'd on the run because I went off course and took a shit on the feet of the selectors. Be a hell of a story. And put triathlon on national news.
    balsdorfJames LangeJennifer Postkjrunninandrewm88
  • Options
    AlwaysCuriousAlwaysCurious Member, POTM
    I'm late to this discussion but have two questions:
    1. Has anyone blamed this on Messick yet?
    2. Where do I buy a #3WomenToRio t-shirt?
    M_WareGasBombRyan HeislerFastCat1107yournotuniqueKelly O'Maraidking90Jennifer PostAaron Websteysimonsen77kjrunninMartinTad_M
  • Options
    GasBombGasBomb Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    Ah, I love the smell of bureaucracy in the morning!  From all I have seen and read, KZ will be added after all proper boxes, forms, and protocols have been checked.  #merica

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter

Leadership at its finest!

Aaron WebsteyGasBombyournotunique
  • Options
    cathcamcathcam Member
    @Jason Pedersen can you explain why the domestique option wasn't an option for the men? Their qualification was determined right away, but Katie has to wait to find out?
    That's pretty simple, none of them could benefit from a domestique. It's the Olympics they all have an outside chance, and since there are three of them allowed to go, might as let them try.
  • Options
    cathcamcathcam Member
    I don't understand why everybody is saying the US men don't deserve 3 spots.  Yes they will not win but they will be somewhere in the middle of the pack.  Give me 3 names that would be better off at the Olympics then the US men.  All the top names will be there.  Based on what you are saying then we should only send the top 20 athletes to Rio.

yes there is maybe a 4th athlete from other countries that are ahead of our 3rd athlete, but how many of those are there ? 1-2 okay cool 1-2 people better athletes don't get spots but now if we are talking 3-10 athletes then yes maybe there is a case to talk about 
    It depends how you look at it, but personally given the results they've achieved, I'd rather have seen someone with little or no hope from a nation that is just starting out in triathlon, get one of the slots. But given the ITU rules in place, they've got the slots and they have a chance, go for it. Thats the great thing about the Olympics, everyone wants to win, some people will make bad choices and stupid decisions come race day, actually anything can happen.
  • Options
    cathcamcathcam Member
    edited May 2016
    And yes, I realize I am not a selector so as you point out it doesn't really matter but I still am allowed my opinion as a fan.
    I'm not a selector either, but I've been here before. While a fellow club member was selected for the 2000 Olympic triathlon event, I watched frustratingly while a friend was denied a spot in similar circumstances.

It's worth noting that Triathlon Australia totally blew selecting both Michelle Jones and Emma Snowsill for the 2004 Olympics as well, instead they went for a favorite an then emerging youngster.

When it came around to the 2012 Olympics I had a female pro home staying with me for 18-months, she was a solid selection, and in 2012 got a top-10 slot at the 70.3 Worlds after she was totally overlooked(our opinion) for Olympic selection.

Governing bodies march to the beat of a different drum when it comes to selection, it's not about the individual athlete.  As for Tommy speaking out and being so public about Katies selection, he might want to check with Simon Wilson, Husband of Andrea Whitcombe from the UK, she never got selected in the end, they gave the slot to an up and coming triathlete, Jodie Swallow.
    James Lange
  • Options
    cathcamcathcam Member
    Didn't this shit happen in 2008 with TriCan? 
    Yep, and 2012, and it's also possibly why they are, or were until very recently looking for a new head coach.
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    The problem with hiring a world-class coach to run your high performance program is the same problem we have with hiring world-class scientists to manage our scientific organization. 
    James LangeA_drizzle
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Brent_RBrent_R Member
    This domestique debate seems to have basically happened to some level and for some organizations every Olympic go round. The UK had it with their third slot for both the men and women in 2012. That's why Lucy Hall got picked in 2012 and the same with Stuart Hayes. Jenkins finished 5th and the Brownlees finished 1st and 3rd. Did they need domestiques? It is arguable. I'm sure Jodie Stimpson has some views on it. 

Frankly, I hope the Americans pick a domestique and reduce their odds of a medal because I'm cheering against them anyways. 
    James Lange
  • Options
    If Flora Duffy went balls out on the Rio course I wonder if anyone could go with her? And how far up would she be on the Americans/Brits/Hewitt? And how far up on Gwen would she need to be? 2 minutes? 3 minutes?

• Options
    cathcamcathcam Member
    Ha, I just got through reading some entries from my April 2004 blog, around that time it wasn't clear that a new US Male triathlete was going to make the  Olympics, his name? Andy Potts...

So yep, it's fair to say this isn't a new problem.
    yournotunique
  • Options
    cathcamcathcam Member
    Brent_R said:
    This domestique debate seems to have basically happened to some level and for some organizations every Olympic go round. The UK had it with their third slot for both the men and women in 2012. That's why Lucy Hall got picked in 2012 and the same with Stuart Hayes. Jenkins finished 5th and the Brownlees finished 1st and 3rd. Did they need domestiques? It is arguable. I'm sure Jodie Stimpson has some views on it. 
    Don't forget,domestiques are not just for the Olympics, ask Harry Wiltshire.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch