frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Angry Rant on Podcasting followup

PreachSwansonPreachSwanson Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
There is a ton of stuff going on in this post.

1) there is the question listed, what should the funding model for TRS radio be?

That is a second level question in my opinion, the first question would be why are you doing TRS radio? Is it to make money? Is it because you love the sport? Is it because you want to quit you day job? Knowing why you are doing it makes it easier to ask how you want to fund it because how you choose to fund it will help dictate how much you can make at funding it.

2) What does TRS radio seek to accomplish? This is not the same question of funding, but they can be related. Do you want to offer an alternative to the incestive or self aggrandizing ramblings of the rest of Triathlon? To do that you would want to be as open as possible. Do you want to move a select, like minded group of people? That can be a closed group with options for new to enter who would be willing to buy in.

3) What is your current audience? You list 4000 listeners and 70 something donors. Those donors are mostly basic level donations for a single show that is much like the other triathlon style podcasts. You also have a group who are in the Team TRS who some may give and others not, but they have "bought" into your vision with team fees. Some of that may have been for the gear, but I doubt it (I've purchased 3 other bike kits since, I can afford a tri kit). I would argue that you have three audiences (at least). The hardcore Team TRS followers, the basic level supporters (some who may be in other camps right now but still believe in you enough to offer on going support) and the ones who simply find you entertaining enough to listen to but don't give a damn about the agenda. The last group is the one you want to engage while maintaining the others.

Personally I would say that you need to know fully your vision and stop whoring yourself out to anything else but that. I can get Audible from anyone with two free books. What I cannot do currently is find a more honest group of athletes who are committed to being "good" but committed to being "real" people as well. I also can find more than enough eccentric athletes talking about their training (I've subscribed and dropped about 12 podcasts so far) but I cannot find someone who not only cares about how well someone finished a race but that they have gone through the same stuff as the rest of us out there. I cannot find someone who is willing to laugh at the stupid stuff we put ourselves through to be .05% faster than last year.

Thanks for telling us that your wife sees this thing as competition, that you can't train much because you have to be TRS or Ben H. Age Group Athlete and that you have all the realities of a real dad with a day job. You've put a metric shit ton of work into this site, this persona, this podcast, this team, etc... now tell yourself why you did that and focus on that and don't worry about some lame email about 1st world problems, like how easy it is to give someone 13 cents and broken pen.
TRS Racing
I'm an angel with an incredible capacity for beer
TheoScheck48yournotuniqueGeorge KruseHSeeley14espej09BasementbikerRobert Rankinoldmanchad

Comments

• Options
    PreachSwansonPreachSwanson Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    By the way... I do this all the time for my work in the church. I have a mission and a vision for our church. I am a stickler for this. With this we can say yes to the types of things that are going to help us accomplish our mission and live into our vision. This also gives us permission to say no. We say no to a ton of good things so that the great things we say yes to have all of our attention and the best possibility to not only succeed but to do truly amazing things.

Be true to who you are and what you want to do. Communicate relentlessly how you are achieving that and how others can come onboard to support that (including exactly what kind of support you need) and people will follow.

There is a church finance book but it is applicable to you here, "Not Your Parents Offering Plate." Great insights into the success of the greatest 501c3's and the reasons for the relative mediocrity of most churches in Western culture.
    Scheck48yournotuniqueBasementbiker
    TRS Racing
  • Options
    TheoTheo Member
    Great points preacher, figuring really why you're doing this will help guide your following decisions!

IMO I don't think that going to a pure subscription model when your reach is so limited and you are so "new" on the scene will be a good idea. It will pretty much kill any organic growth of listeners that may hear about the show through Twitter/whatever. It's the same for online/print media, if it's behind a pay-wall, the link is essentially worthless to me.

I'm sure you have a chart of the listener growth for each of your podcasts, and that curve is steadily climbing. This is likely due to the increasing quality of your guests and the "street cred" that you are accumulating over time. Now also look at where Kona falls on that chart. For better or for worse the sport of triathlon is centered around Kona, and that's where the big growth/exposure happens. On the trajectory that you're on, I could see a pretty awesome Kona'15 in the happening for TRSRadio. And I think that changing to a pay-only model would way stunt that growth.

That said, it does mean having to sell the wife on this plan, but hey, if you've done it before for triathlon races, you should be able to do it for this.

One group you're forgetting about as well is the pros. The exposure you are giving the pro triathletes is phenomenal and beyond anything currently out there. I would think/hope that some/most of them would realize this and start coming around, give you some more post-race quotes/interviews, and start pitching in to support the show as well. Prior to this past week's podcast, Ben Hoffman was just another pro with a funny name to me, but the dude is hilarious and now I care about how he does and where he races.
    Aaron WebsteyPreachSwansonolson_aJames LangeyournotuniqueHSeeley14

seems like kind of an asshole =)

• Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    @PreachSwanson is there a reference for this post? I'm missing something, sorry.
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    edited March 2015
  • Options
    Any investment has a pay back period. You need to figure out what sort of return on investment you expect, over what period and then weigh up your options to realistically achieve them.
    People buy in to your concept but growth in a crowded market takes time but you have differentiation on your side.
    Many have bought into TRS racing as well and stumped up a decent amount of cash to support it - what happens to their "investment" if you decide yours is not working?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    olson_aTheo
  • Options
    Zach MillerZach Miller Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    either way I am paying for this podcast, $50 or $100 a year for weekly podcast plus bonus content is well worth the price. or the same way it is now with patreon. my training rides have been way better. your life(family, money, hobbies, TRS to you) come first, you decide if the money is worth it to keep on doing. I am not paying to listen to some boring questions like other podcasts, I want to dirt the good stuff, which I think you and Mark are doing a good job of. I agree with the pro statement , I feel like you can get the little pros names out more, which helps them have a bigger following and gives me insite on those new young guys.
    Aaron WebsteyBasementbiker
  • Options
    In the end it's up to the listener to pay for content or not. If they find the content valuable they will pay to listen. @TheRealStarky Have you considered doing a pay podcast with all the good stuff, but also releasing parts for free, to drum up interest? That way you don't lose everyone and could still potentially gain new paying listeners who want more of the "inside" info. Just a thought. You've got a good thing going, I hope you continue it.
  • Options
    Wondering if @TheRealStarky is mildly self-destructive or just threw his toys out of the pram this morning...

The preacher and others shared great points - let this thing grow and focus on the big picture. All of the little things/ideas can get in the way at times. The podcasts are improving week by week, the new site is up and gathering attention, you've got a rag tag bunch racing the TRS flag, and lots of things happening. Let these comments go.

The last thing most listeners/readers want to hear about is how little money is being made from a side-gig/hobby. That's my two cents.
    WadeCutterTheoyournotuniquetrsradio69HSeeley14Robert Rankin
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    One thing worth remembering is that the season has even started yet. My triathlon life is 100% isolated during the offseason, but when I start doing races this year I'll be sure to mention the podcast/website. Not because I think I'm doing Ben a favour, but because they are awesome and I feel that I'm providing a service to anyone I expose to them. I think that there will be some organic growth this summer due to those 4000 listeners talking about TRS at races.
    olson_ayournotunique

• Options
    trsradio69trsradio69 Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    First of all, thank you for indulging my immature and impulsive rant. You (TRS Racing members) have all been extremely supportive and the dues you paid have been greatly appreciated. The donation of all that merch by Huub is greatly appreciated as well.

The rant about quitting was only to do with the podcast. In the end, it makes little sense to switch to a pay only model because I'm still in a growth phase. Plus, the podcast and website have the potential to be synergistic.

The fact of the matter is that THAT is how I was feeling at the time I wrote that blog post. I sometimes feel that way. Other times, I am more patient and I see the bigger picture.

I need to spend some time thinking about what @PreachSwanson wrote because he is right. I do need to define for myself what the mission and vision is here so that I can stay focused.

Frankly, what I'm feeling has a lot to do with being very unsatisfied in my actual job and wishing/hoping/dreaming that I can make this into a viable business that can both impact the sport positively AND allow me to make the best use of my talents and time.

By the way, how about a special where Preach Swanson counsels me and Mark with the tape recorder running. That could drive some Patreon followers.

To my TRS Racing members, please don't feel obligated to donate to Patreon. When I get around to it, I'll post bonus content to our private forum. At least the really good stuff. The only reason I don't now is lack of time.

Quite frankly, seeing people build genuine friendships and seeing my own team members put me in check is the most gratifying aspect of this entire TRS experience. That @legalgooner article speaks to the independence and brains that you all bring to the table. I am very, very proud of what you have built.
    yournotuniquePreachSwansonAaron Websteyolson_aBrent_RTheoJames LangeHSeeley14espej09TheDonMagicDonRyan HeislerRobert Rankin_MurManoldmanchad
  • Options
    olson_a said:

In the end it's up to the listener to pay for content or not. If they find the content valuable they will pay to listen. @TheRealStarky Have you considered doing a pay podcast with all the good stuff, but also releasing parts for free, to drum up interest? That way you don't lose everyone and could still potentially gain new paying listeners who want more of the "inside" info. Just a thought. You've got a good thing going, I hope you continue it.

Probably the answer is to move one episode per month to the Patreon only site. Give away the others. I could also put out more bonus episodes for Patrons only. Those are smarter moves that don't alienate the audience or stifle growth.

Aaron Websteyolson_anwrizzoHSeeley14
  • Options
    yournotuniqueyournotunique Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    @TheRealStarky I can't like @PreachSwanson's posts enough for this.

To his point of who your groups are, I'll use myself as an example: I'm not a hardcore follower, as I've only managed to listen to probably 60min total of all the shows (life and work kind of screw that up). But, like probably every other person on this team, I'm here because this is something that I believe is good for triathlon. I'm here because I like what you're doing. And it's a mission (guh, I hate to use corporate speak, but whatever) that I want to help succeed.

I do know that I've had at least 3 people who were barely familiar with you prior to this become fans of the podcast. One doesn't even do tris. And one other person who couldn't stand you is now asking me if I heard the latest podcast each week. I don't know if they're pauing anything yet, but I know they wouldn't be listening at all if there was a paywall. And they wouldn't be TRS converts or have become interested in triathlon otherwise.

I know that's just my little n=1 anecdote. But I think I'm a pretty average example of how you're going to grow.
    Zach MillerTheo
    -I know it's wrong. Blame old AOL character limits. Illadelph |
  • Options
    okay, it's corny but here ya go... I always ask myself "what's the thing behind the thing?" (Told you it was bad)

This is for what I preach, why I'm doing anything in life, why I accepted my last move last July... Everything!

So when you ask yourself why am I still doing TRS the easy answers are, it's fun, I like to effect change, I got to meet the worlds coolest pastor... But those are surface answers... What makes it fun, why do you want to create change. What is making you spend time in the closet trying to come out as TRS? Answer that and then you can make the kind of choices that would allow you to create not only the job you want but the life your looking for.

Call anytime.
    TRS Racing
  • Options
    yournotuniqueyournotunique Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    @PreachSwanson My wife jokes that she is ready for when our daughter starts talking because she's been with me for a decade and I'm asking "why" constantly. Until I drill down the last "what" or "why" I'm not satisfied. I want to understand not only about how things work, but why they do. Why people (myself included) do what they do and feel the way they feel.

You become your own shrink, in a way.

I just hope that once @TheRealStarky gets to the last "why" he still wants to keep at this ;)
    PreachSwanson
    -I know it's wrong. Blame old AOL character limits. Illadelph |
  • Options
    I'm really hesitant to say this because I remember on your post Kona shows you mentioned that everyone had opinions and you didn't necessarily care about them. But...
    I enjoy the podcast, but it does seem like it takes up a ton of your time that you could be doing other things. I personally think you should work this website and decrease the podcasting to special cases such as Kona and the like. I have found tons of enjoyment from this new website and the articles you are bringing in. I don't want to say greater because the podcast has been great, but I'll say I enjoy the articles as much. It is way better than a website that posts pictures of bikes, how to size a bike articles, and articles about your greatest fan, Dusty Nabor.....
    But really it all circles back to what you find enjoyable, if it is podcasting then do it. I would never have learned about how to use periods on twitter without your podcast, for what it's worth.
    trsradio69Aaron WebsteyyournotuniqueScheck48oldmanchad

Nathan Kiser
    Just FYI, you... are also less than mediocre. -TheActualPaulo

• Options
    The podcast does take about 5-8 hours per week. I believe you have to do it every week.

I'm glad you're enjoying the articles. Page-views are still quite low - around 2000 per day. Hopefully we get some traction soon.
  • Options
    This may seem like blasphemy coming from me, but I enjoy the podcast more - probably quite a bit more - than the website (or any website). Personal preference, I guess. This site and its articles rank at or near the top for me, as websites go, but listening to @TheRealStarky and @Dark_Mark pull the most compelling dialogue out of real-live humans just can't be beaten by reading, IMO.
    olson_aTheoJames LangeHSeeley14Scheck48Robert Rankinoldmanchad
    #KOAT
  • Options
    I'm with @AaronWebstey - if you want to make some kind of a go at this, the Podcast would need the most personal time from you (kinda)... The website has you on the right track with utilizing team members and others to write and get things out there. If you are going to be able to take things to "the next level" then you will want to have someone who can interpret you vision and do the detail work of actually posting, coding, etc... The same could be said of the Podcast as well... If you have others who can do the audio mixing and posting etc... you and Mark could focus on the scripting, acquiring people who can speak and such. But the Podcast is your voice, not just as in it being the voice behind the microphone but as in the most accessible and personal connection people can have to you as TRS. That is why it will almost always have a stronger following. You can't generate the ad space the same as the website, but it has the most intrinsic value to you as a brand.

If you are serious about wanting to make TRS your full time job then set some benchmarks and goals that can show you if it will become a reality. Have a good talk with your wife about it. Have a benchmark that will allow you to say, "lets do this full time now." That benchmark will likely include a pay cut at the time, but could include a betting pay in the future (as well as a much more flexible home-life if you plan it out well).

Also, as a thought, just because you turn it into a full time gig that helps to pay the bills and what not doesn't mean everyone needs to be paid for helping... Lots of us would still love to help because we care about what this movement says and can do for a sport we care about. I have the same situation with people at church, there are a few of us who are paid staffers but we have a ton of people who donate time and some at near full time levels. They don't care about the difference because in their situations, money is not the factor to keep them there. We "pay" them in support and as an outlet for their faith and that "pay" to them is worth enough to keep money off the table and "job" satisfaction and personal enjoyment on it.
    yournotuniqueAaron Websteyolson_aTheo
    TRS Racing
  • Options
    Brent_RBrent_R Member
    edited March 2015
    A few thoughts on this stuff:

1. I have no experience in this stuff, but at least in terms of the podcast stuff do you have a sense of what the usual Patreon conversion rate between downloads and subscribers is? If you're at the "going rate" so to speak then I guess you need to focus on growing the listenership. Going to a pay only model isn't going to help that. If the conversion rate is low, then I think you need to put a harder push on during the podcast. I know it's a bit obnoxious but given some of your stated goals above I see nothing wrong with it.

2. I think you need to be a bit more patient. 18 months ago, TheRealStarky was a parody Andrew Starykowicz Twitter account. The podcast is ~6 months old. The website's less than a month into it's refresh. Then you've got the age group team that hasn't even started racing really yet. As Big Sexy described in his interview, part of the value in that exercise is to get a bunch of guys out there racing in your kit to drum up interest.

You've made a pretty hard pivot and there really hasn't been much time for the marketing angles to all work themselves out.

3. In terms of the podcast, my humble suggestion is to focus on covering triathlon like any other pro sport, so to speak. As an example, the Claggett interview was interesting but I suspect that for many listeners it was far too inside baseball to be interesting. Part of what has drawn me (and I suspect others) to the TRS brand was its approach that elite level triathlon can be a fun and exciting sport to watch and follow and the companies that benefit from those athlete's ought to ensure they can make a living doing it. I think the podcast can best promote that vision by presenting story lines, controversies, rivalries and personalities that will allow us to follow the narratives of the season.

The other industry stuff is interesting, but it may be superfluous to that core ideal.
    Aaron WebsteykevinschummeryournotuniqueScheck48
  • Options
    There is some excellent banter going on in this thread. Reminds me about what got me excited to join Team TRS, in the first place. The energy here and the momentum is building. The only limits to what the team and the brand can do is up to Ben and us. I had a funny thought: what if someday everyone wanted to sign up for a race that we put on and branded with the TRS logo, a challenge to the othe big branded races out there (Ironman). And what if we allowed the same number of males and females to race??? I got goosebumps!
    Aaron WebsteyPreachSwansonoldmanchad
  • Options
    @olson_a I think you are on to something, it's not huge but look at what Brett Zen Tri is doing by holding his IronBaby and now UltraBaby races. He has some people come and check it out... partner with him or build one of our own from scratch that could even just be us all showing up to race it but it could grow into something... And you are right about the limits, they are what we will impose because we choose not to be creative enough or because we say it cannot be done... sometimes you got to jump out and do it!
    olson_a
    TRS Racing
  • Options
    TheoTheo Member
    edited March 2015

My wife jokes that she is ready for when our daughter starts talking because she's been with me for a decade and I'm asking "why" constantly.

Man, is she going to be sorely disappointed! It seems like the favorite word of pretty much any young kid who starts to speak and understand what you're telling them is "why". And it gets compounded by the fact that when they don't understand your answer (as complete and right as it may be), "why" is their go-to comeback until it gets to a point where they get it!
    yournotunique

seems like kind of an asshole =)

• Options
    I love the athlete interviews. To me, those are fascinating to hear personalities, jokes and stories from these guys and gals. Best moments are things like listing to Tim Don giggling during a stationary Ironman and Crowie's story of nearly coming to blows with Macca. To me, these are the key since you get them to open up a lot more (I've listened to like half of one of Babbitt's podcast because I find them boring). I would love to help find a way to get more of the pros involved and agree to appear on the podcast. Herbert just interviewed Andy Raelert; how do you get Micha? Or Reed? Or Kienle? Or Ryf? Etc. That seems to be the key to turning the trick.

I still think that stuff like the Clagett interview should have space. I thought it was great that he asked to counter your rant, and you gave him the time. If you rant on something, allowing the 'victim' to respond is pretty cool.

Anyway, my 2 cents...
    TheoPreachSwanson
  • Options
    Brent_R said:

A few thoughts on this stuff:

1. I have no experience in this stuff, but at least in terms of the podcast stuff do you have a sense of what the usual Patreon conversion rate between downloads and subscribers is? If you're at the "going rate" so to speak then I guess you need to focus on growing the listenership. Going to a pay only model isn't going to help that. If the conversion rate is low, then I think you need to put a harder push on during the podcast. I know it's a bit obnoxious but given some of your stated goals above I see nothing wrong with it.

2. I think you need to be a bit more patient. 18 months ago, TheRealStarky was a parody Andrew Starykowicz Twitter account. The podcast is ~6 months old. The website's less than a month into it's refresh. Then you've got the age group team that hasn't even started racing really yet. As Big Sexy described in his interview, part of the value in that exercise is to get a bunch of guys out there racing in your kit to drum up interest.

You've made a pretty hard pivot and there really hasn't been much time for the marketing angles to all work themselves out.

3. In terms of the podcast, my humble suggestion is to focus on covering triathlon like any other pro sport, so to speak. As an example, the Claggett interview was interesting but I suspect that for many listeners it was far too inside baseball to be interesting. Part of what has drawn me (and I suspect others) to the TRS brand was its approach that elite level triathlon can be a fun and exciting sport to watch and follow and the companies that benefit from those athlete's ought to ensure they can make a living doing it. I think the podcast can best promote that vision by presenting story lines, controversies, rivalries and personalities that will allow us to follow the narratives of the season.

The other industry stuff is interesting, but it may be superfluous to that core ideal.

Certainly agree with your thoughts on patience. A personality test once revealed that if you gather up 5,000 people at random, I would be the least patient in the entire group. Others call it a strong sense of urgency. This has benefited me greatly professionally and it has caused me some pain personally. It's something I try to manage, but sometimes I end up throwing a temper tantrum (see blog post).

Also appreciate the feedback on the content. I agree that we are sometime too inside baseball and that it could be hard to connect with as a beginner to the sport. The athlete interviews are good for beginners.

The hook is that eventually, the listener starts to feel like they're part of a radio-reality show and they connect with Mark and I on a personal level.

BasementbikerAaron WebsteyRyan Heisler
  • Options
    @TheRealStarky when I saw the article about an email from a listener, I panicked...I thought you were taking a dig at me.

I didn't put it as articulately as @PreachSwanson but the email of mine that you read on the air made the same points - what's the mission? What do you want to accomplish? My take is that you've probably already accomplished what you sought to when you started out the Twitter account - to point out the stupidity and hypocrisy of triathlon's powers that be and to build a platform to shine light on your views of how things should be.

that was my point about the hilariously brutal persona of Twitter versus the more accessible version on the podcasts.

I'm with @AaronWebstey - and part of it is that I really like the interplay between TRS and @Dark_Mark - I like the Podcasts far more than anything else. Though the forum is growing on me very quickly. But the website is really good. And it's weeks old.

Do whatever you want - quit. Carry on. Pull back for a while. Whatever. I'm a supporter - I've been and will continue to be. One thought is to have the podcast be SEASONAL - and even better if it's very active in the OFF-SEASON and maybe even monthly or bi-weekly during the high part of the season (may through september). You can throw some bones to Patreons if you want. But you've got to carve back some work/life/TRS fake-life balance and you've got a three legged stool.

I'm not good at monetizing. But I'm good at Pricing. So let's talk Pricing if you want. But first do what Preach says and get your hierarchy right - then we as a community can pull together to help you accomplish your goals. You might even publish it privately among the TRS Racing team (and please some helpful Patreons like me) to both keep you held to it but as a semi-public proclamation of what you're doing.

yes a lot going on - reminds me of why my job is so complicated at the moment. And reminds me that I need a bit of soul searching and prioritizing so that I can create something at work that's greater than just putting out flames/fires all the time.

We can't define why you do this (and how often) but you can. Like I said, I'm supportive because TRS Radio is one of my absolute favorite entertainment sources at the moment. And I fundamentally believe that you have to pay for the creative. Until you've figured out that primary central piece you're going to be putting out those fires...100% reactive

getting pissed is great - it means you care. And in this case it means that something's not quite right. You'll get there. and we'll be here to help when you do.
    Aaron Websteyyournotunique

Aspiring Team TRS (2016?) Currently East (but West via Mentality & History)

• Options
    @SOSlowtwich I'm not going to quit or start charging. Actually, I had a great talk with Ray Maker this morning and he made it clear that these things take forever to take off. It's only been a few months. I need to simply stay the course. And maybe move a bit more to bonus content as an incentive.

Also, I spent my afternoon and evening trying to source a virtual assistant who can help me with some tasks so I can breathe a little

It's been a grind the last few weeks getting the site up and going. In fact, I've been emailing with KOAM @AaronWebstey the last hour as we continue to tweak and refine. The dude built a Patreon Widget (see sidebar of homepage) out of thin air based on my idea to recognize and highlight my generous patrons. The fucking thing didn't exist anywhere. My man has game. Hopefully he can sell it to others like me.
    BasementbikerPreachSwansonAaron WebsteyRyan HeislerMark_after_DarkScheck48Robert RankinyournotuniqueBrent_RTheooldmanchadHSeeley14danimal
  • Options
    @TheRealStarky thanks man! Hey, anyone know how to price a WordPress widget, or whether I should check in with Patreon before I start hawking off software based on their site? :)
    #KOAT
  • Options
    @AaronWebstey our agency does this all the time. Yes, you need to check with Patreon. They'll likely buy it from you. Charge hourly rate.
    BasementbikerAaron Webstey
    Resident Gear Guru
    Bike Crash Free Since August 4th, 2014
  • Options
    @AaronWebstey is monetizing his efforts based on @TheRealStarky angry rank - now that's capitalism in action...
    Aaron Websteyoldmanchad

Aspiring Team TRS (2016?) Currently East (but West via Mentality & History)

• Options
    Many good points. Hard playing catch up and finding anything to add this far into the discussion. The only thing I have to offer is that I think @TheRealStarky's rant is a natural reaction when some random person takes to faceless email and slams something you're invested in and are passionate about.

Nothing has gotten me to question my coaching more than getting some lousy email from someone complaining or tearing you apart. Just like you, I invest time, passion, knowledge and sacrifice time from my own family with very little compensation. I don't have to coach. My family would be fine if I just taught and went about my own life, but I like to think I have more to offer. An email like that definitely makes one question if it's worth it. In my case, I usually look around and take inventory in the vast majority of parents and athletes who have appreciated what I've done for them. I've even saved certain "positive" emails, letters, notes, pics, articles, etc., to reinforce the "why it's worth it" moments. Hopefully this thread, the forum in general, TRS Racing community, bring that "this is why" thought to your head. If not, then scaling back may be in order.

One of my hardest lessons I continue to work on is that no matter hard we try we can't always make everyone happy. Some people are just insufferable pricks. I guess it's the quest in trying to make even those pricks like us or what we do is the motivation to accomplish great things. Keep up the good work!
    oldmanchad

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch