frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Dieting advice/help

Comments

• Options
    judging by your strava this week (54 miles and it's only thursday!??!), you should be eating a TON OF FOOD all the time. Good lord, what do you even think about on a 30 mile run? i run out of topics around mile 1.5, but i'm pretty shallow.
    kjrunninMartinsimonsen77ellsworth53tKenElPescadoPeladoTad_MAaron Webstey

unofficial non-general counsel for TRS Racing and other TRS-related entities
  • Options
    Robert RankinRobert Rankin Member
    edited January 2017
    Yeah i've synced MFP with garmin and calories burned seems a lot closer than the crazy number strava gives. If nothing MFP is helping me realize how bad some shit is. First thing I've altered is snacking.

@Evan I have an ultra coming up next month so running is a little more exaggerated than normal. I do eat a ton, but am working on what I'm actually eating. I can run 250+ miles a month and not drop a pound without even trying. I burn a lot more fat when I'm focused on the bike than I do running. Also used that 30 mile Monday 20 mile Tuesday as an excuse to drink beer :)

I try not to think on long runs. My recent one's have been on a 5 mile loop trying to get mentally prepared for running a looped course endlessly
    DawnC

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options
    @Robert Rankin You have me hooked on MFP now too. 40-50 of my daily calories come from snacks. Not sure if I need to increase my meal sizes or if it really matters.

It has opened my eyes to some of the things that kill an otherwise ok day. My wife made cookies. I was on number 4 before I remembered to input them. Once I did, I was out of calories for the night basically. 4 little cookies packed a powerful amount of calories - I couldn't believe it. In the past I would have had 8-10 without a thought then wondered why I couldn't lose weight when the rest of my day had been pretty healthy.

We'll see if I lose any weight, but at least it has me thinking. One thing is for sure - SODIUM!
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    Thanks for the detailed explanation. It's more than just heat, though. I've read that it's mostly exhaled air.

• Options
    RashRash Member
    edited January 2017
    Heat was meant as an example of the loss. Regardless, it's lost to the environment and not directed at actually burning that kcal. Again, it's not a perfect calculation of calories burned during riding, however even with the underlying assumptions it is allegedly closer than heart rate based calculations and their underlying assumptions.

One thing that appears to not be accounted for in MFP is that it looks like they give you credit for 100% of the calories burned during exercise. Shouldn't there be some sort of algorithm or formula to remove the calories you would have burned during that time if you were just sitting and breathing? Maybe it's in there somewhere, but doesn't appear to account for that from what I can tell. This of course is a slippery slope of nit pickyness that is probably not necessary. I'll go discuss it over at slowtwitch where I am sure the inventor of the idea of burning calories resides. Did Dan invent exercise as well?
    MattCraig_DRobert RankinDawnCTad_MAaron Webstey
  • Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Rash said:

One thing that appears to not be accounted for in MFP is that it looks like they give you credit for 100% of the calories burned during exercise. Shouldn't there be some sort of algorithm or formula to remove the calories you would have burned during that time if you were just sitting and breathing? Maybe it's in there somewhere, but doesn't appear to account for that from what I can tell. This of course is a slippery slope of nit pickyness that is probably not necessary.

There might be a wing-nut on this forum who adjusts her calorie target at the start of the week to be:
    RMR - (RMR/24*Hrs of training on the plan for the week/7) when she's looking to maintain and RMR - (RMR/24*Hrs of training on the plan for the week/7)-500 when she's trying to drop some lbs.
    RashDawnCAaron Webstey

• Options
    @Rash it made me realize the same thing. It wasn't so much the meals that were killing me but what I was eating/drinking in between. No more Doritos and cookies. I really only have any sports drink during workouts anymore, everything else is water. MFP definitely isn't exact, but it is crazy to see where the majority of my calories go. After just a week of tracking I have a pretty good idea where to alter things. Plenty of time to adjust before November if things don't work.
    RashAaron Webstey

• Options
    ellsworth53tellsworth53t Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM

I try not to think on long runs

Zen.

It's worth repeating what others are saying, @Robert Rankin . Regardless of weight, you are a fucking beast runner. I'm excited to see you crush your race.
    M_Warekjrunninneil5youngMattKenElPescadoPeladoEvanRobert RankinDawnCTad_Miamuwere
  • Options
    Robert RankinRobert Rankin Member
    edited January 2017

I try not to think on long runs

Zen.

It's worth repeating what others are saying, @Robert Rankin . Regardless of weight, you are a fucking beast runner. I'm excited to see you crush your race.
    Thanks! I appreciate that. The goal next month is to just finish alive. Just curious what speed would look like if I were a tad lighter. Read somewhere each unnecessary pound equals 2 sec/mi. So I pretty much can assure at 200 lbs I'll be running a 2:43 marathon haha

M_Wareellsworth53tAaron Webstey

• Options
    doyoueventribrodoyoueventribro Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Two weeks of eating pretty well while maintaining workouts. I haven't been running nearly as much thanks to a nagging hip but I've been getting in lots of miles on the bike comparatively. I'm eating a lot more fibrous veggies, hardly any bread/grain apart from oats and barely any chips/candy that I usually binge on. I've cut out most beer, down to only drinking while eating out or with friends so 2-3/week instead of 6-7. I'm drinking a lot more water, especially in the morning.

The result: Down 1 lb in 3 weeks. I weigh myself and record it in the morning/evening because of fluctuations during the day and after rides. I was 170 in September, 176 on January 1 (thanks to some holiday carbs) and I'm currently sitting at 169. The lowest I've seen is 167.8.

I'm frustrated, but for me getting below 165 has always been a challenge. I feel like if I can break the 160 barrier I could keep that off and then slowly work towards 155 or 150 which is a proper athletic weight for someone on a 5'7" frame

My goal for February is to sleep more. I usually just lay in bed for an hour before actually sleeping so I don't get to sleep until 11-11:30, if I switch that to 10-10:30 that would give me the 7.5-8 hours I need and hopefully allow my body to kickstart some kind of metabolic engine that will burn some calories while sleeping.

What's everyone's opinion on fasted workouts? If I swim in the morning I don't usually eat anything but I was thinking of doing a 1 hour easy spin in the mornings on days that I don't swim (tuesday/thursday). These would be easy spins in a fasted state. Good for fat burning or just a waste of time?
    ellsworth53tAaron WebsteyM_WareCraig_D
  • Options

My goal for February is to sleep more. I usually just lay in bed for an hour before actually sleeping so I don't get to sleep until 11-11:30, if I switch that to 10-10:30 that would give me the 7.5-8 hours I need and hopefully allow my body to kickstart some kind of metabolic engine that will burn some calories while sleeping.

I am a terrible sleeper but have been doing better with 2 changes:

1) Limiting screen time just before bed as it interferes with the production of melatonin (sleep hormone).
    2) I use a free app called "Relax Lite". It's a 20 minute guided meditation that sounds super cheesy but I couldn't tell you what happens after the first 5 minutes because I never stay awake past it. Three deep breaths with a hold before each exhale and then whatever comes after that is a mystery to me.

Aaron WebsteyM_Ware

• Options
    RashRash Member
    edited January 2017
    I've been using MFP with a 2 lb per week weight loss goal for about 2.5 weeks. Was just trying to gauge it with the plan of lowering the weekly calorie loss goal as needed to maintain workout intensity. I have added back in swim and a little run and have been under prescribed daily calories every day making sure to discount calories burned by 50-100 for each training session (estimates always seem too high). Results - I've gained 1.2 lbs. Glad being hungry for 2.5 weeks is really paying off! Ha.

I do use a Withings scale which seems wildly inaccurate. Can fluctuate up to 5 lbs between measurements (giving 30 seconds between to re-zero). Have an email into them about it. Meanwhile my $10 scale sitting next to it repeatedly gives me the same results.
    M_WareKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    Elaine KElaine K Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Don't despair over weight not dropping. The "woosh" weight loss is super common. CICO (Calories In - Calories Out) is reliable - but your weight doesn't tick off the pounds in a linear fashion. Water retention can really make it seem like you're not progressing. Don't give up, and recheck your honesty and measurements of your consumption.

On fasted workouts - they are my jam! Some studies have shown a small caloric benefit to it, but be aware that your performance may suffer a little. Try it out! Especially if you've got an easier / steady state workout on the schedule. I've always been able to swim in the morning without eating, and easy to moderate runs are good too.

I think I've mentioned this, but I tend to skip breakfast and workout just before lunch when I can. When I need more fuel (like I had an 11am soccer game yesterday), that method goes out the window.
    M_Wareellsworth53t
    Tucson, AZ
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    I'm down 7#. Woo-fucking-hoo.
    Robert Rankinellsworth53tAaron WebsteyTad_MKenElPescadoPeladomaggieru
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    I'm doing better at eating clean(er). Probably toss that out the window the next two weeks as I'm tapering for an ultra. Also, in the spirit of ultra running, my beer consumption has gone up quite a bit. In all seriousness, I wasn't planning on starting a strict diet until after this race.
    M_Wareellsworth53tAaron Websteymbrekk44

• Options

Two weeks of eating pretty well while maintaining workouts. I haven't been running nearly as much thanks to a nagging hip but I've been getting in lots of miles on the bike comparatively. I'm eating a lot more fibrous veggies, hardly any bread/grain apart from oats and barely any chips/candy that I usually binge on. I've cut out most beer, down to only drinking while eating out or with friends so 2-3/week instead of 6-7. I'm drinking a lot more water, especially in the morning.

The result: Down 1 lb in 3 weeks. I weigh myself and record it in the morning/evening because of fluctuations during the day and after rides. I was 170 in September, 176 on January 1 (thanks to some holiday carbs) and I'm currently sitting at 169. The lowest I've seen is 167.8.

I'm frustrated, but for me getting below 165 has always been a challenge. I feel like if I can break the 160 barrier I could keep that off and then slowly work towards 155 or 150 which is a proper athletic weight for someone on a 5'7" frame

What's everyone's opinion on fasted workouts? If I swim in the morning I don't usually eat anything but I was thinking of doing a 1 hour easy spin in the mornings on days that I don't swim (tuesday/thursday). These would be easy spins in a fasted state. Good for fat burning or just a waste of time?

Nice job, dude. I think the fasted workouts are fine, so long as you can also reap the performance gains. If the fasted state causes you to miss your power target, I would prioritize the training over the scale. Just my input, not an authority on the subject.
    M_Ware
  • Options
    kjrunnin said:

2) I use a free app called "Relax Lite". It's a 20 minute guided meditation that sounds super cheesy but I couldn't tell you what happens after the first 5 minutes because I never stay awake past it. Three deep breaths with a hold before each exhale and then whatever comes after that is a mystery to me.

Good input, I'll take a look at it.
    I do podcasts, I even bought "cozy phones" so I don't bother wife.
    Ive found the following podcasts to be good for sleep:
    Sleep with me: a dude mumbles stories with the explicit goal of boring you to sleep
    The New Yorker's "Fiction" & "Writers Voice"
    This American Life
    History of the Great War - A week by week recounting of WWI, is really interesting and my favorite on the list, but the narrator is dreadfully monotone.
    M_Warekjrunnin
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    @doyoueventribro I bet increased sleep will be a catalyst to help make all that other healthy shit take effect.

#sciencey
    M_Ware
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Craig_DCraig_D Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    @doyoueventribro I do all of my morning workouts in a fasted state. When I started I made sure that I was doing 80% easy (Zone 2) to help with the fat burn and intervals were short and sweet, but hard. I have no trouble swimming 3 km now with nothing and my workouts have some pretty hard sets in them. From the reading I've done, you need to allow your body time to get used to them and it was suggested to keep them at 90 min max for the first couple of weeks. Last summer I found I was able to stretch out rides to 3 hours. Sodium was more of a key. Tastes like crap for the first 30 min however after that its like fine wine. I found good success with mixing a tablespoon of salt in a bike bottle for rides. My weight has plateaued right now and I also think sleep is a factor - I don't get a lot when I'm working shifts. I do see however changes still taking place in my body composition and my BF % is still coming down according to the scale.
    Aaron Webstey
    Canadian Division
  • Options

@doyoueventribro I bet increased sleep will be a catalyst to help make all that other healthy shit take effect.

#sciencey

Leptin, ghrelin, & cortisol. #sciency-er
    M_WareAaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPeladomaggieru
    Resident Genius.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    It's Jan. 31st. Inspired by John Joseph on TRS and Rich Roll, I decided to try out veganism for the month. Since this is the defacto weightloss thread for the year, here are my results.
    First, my baseline, I normally weigh 185 with my normal, shitty diet, at 6'-2" tall. A good racing weight for me has been 170. Due to the holidays, work, and knowing I was giving up pizza, I ate a bunch of pizza and shit over the holidays, my weight Jan. 1st was up to 189. Today, I weigh 183.
    Was it the veganism? I'm not sure. In addition to the going vegan, I didn't eat shit vegan food. I was very strict, no treats. My training has also ticked up slightly over the month. So, my "real" weight loss was only 3-4 lbs after dropping the holiday weight, but there is definitely a noticable body composition difference and I'm down a belt loop.
    In the past when I've tried to lose weight, I counted calories and always felt hungry. But eating healthy vegan foods consistently, I didn't count any calories, ate until I was full, never felt hungry, and lost some weight. Definitely a plus for me. I also feel better. I normally popped once a day, now it's twice, with no effort involved. I feel a bit better running with the weight loss, there's been no adverse affects with my power on the bike, and I don't really swim.
    Now that the month is up, will I stay vegan? I don't know, I guess? I'm not particularly invested in the politics or identity of being vegan. I have always known I need to eat a bunch more vegetables, so I think I'm learning how to do that. I might allow myself some fish on occasion because it's my favorite food. I might now be a mostly vegan? I'd encourage anyone to try it, I definitely learned quite a bit. Any other questions, feel free to ask me.
    kjrunninAaron WebsteyCraig_D
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    @ellsworth53t if I had a wife that cooked like yours, I would try it, too.
    ellsworth53t
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    M Ware said:

@ellsworth53t if I had a wife that cooked like yours, I would try it, too.

I should've mentioned that the only reason the experiment didn't fail miserably is because my wife loves to cook.
    M_Ware
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    @Adrienne so you're saying I'm actually right?? Suck it, jerks!
    A_drizzlemaggieru
    #KOAT
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    I'm back to my modeling diet of coffee, cigs and blow. My abs are popping. Seriously, if anyone wants to lose a few pounds, get a hyperactive toddler. You spend so much time chasing him around you forget to eat.
    M_WareCraig_D
  • Options
    Hey guys, did you all know that @KHilgendorf used to be a model and I used to be a pro triathlete
    balsdorf
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Hey @AaronWebstey let's have a quick competition: you tally up your net gain/loss from pro racing and I'll do the same for my modeling and we'll see who was the bigger fool. I'll start: I never received a check from my agency and spent about 3k traveling, so (3000).
    Aaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    @ellsworth53t I did vegan for about 2.5 years. Went anemic, had protein deficiencies and actually gained weight, though that could have been due to stopping running 80 mile weeks. It was flipping misery. I went back to vegetarian, mixing in eggs and dairy and immediately felt better. Now eating the occasional fish because my wife wants it. I think that's probably the best for overall health. It's nice to just eat things because you want them and not because of some theology.
    simonsen77
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Fuck it. Fuck it. Fuck it.

Beer-free February lasted until lunch. Poutine-free pre-season lasted one month. I've done a Triple Lindy off this weight loss bandwagon and I don't care.

(#sworry to those still dieting.)
    kjrunninMattAaron Websteysimonsen77balsdorfM_WareCraig_Dmbrekk44KenElPescadoPeladoTad_M
  • Options
    I wish I could Freaky Friday switch with you right now.

This is my lunch.
    Chia seed pudding with unflavoured protein powder and berries. It looks better than it tastes. And I think we can all agree it looks pretty bad.
    Aaron WebsteyM_WareCraig_DKenElPescadoPeladoTad_Midking90neil5young

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch