frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Who is my long distance O/W swim guru?

There's a swim I want to do next summer - about 9 miles open water. I have no idea how to prepare for this. I'm thinking that I should probably build up my swim frequency/duration this winter.

Anything else I should know?

KenElPescadoPelado

Comments

• Options
    ItsShugItsShug Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Not it
    GasBombAaron WebsteyMattlakercryournotunique
    Demotivational Speaker
    Master of the Absurd - King of all Polls
    Kansas Native
    Tweets Me  Follow ItsShug
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM
    We had an older guy, mid 60's who swam in our Masters group for a couple of months. He did all long distance open water swims. He would do our Masters workout 3x a week. About 3500-4000m each, then would do a long swim on the weekend.
    lakercr
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    Kick ass @lakercr
    I'd take a Boston Whaler along in my essentials kit..... otherwise I'm useless to you except for cheering you on.
    lakercr
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    simonsen77simonsen77 Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Now that @ZenTriathlon is posting, maybe he'll have some advice. Except ignore it if it involves butterfly.
    M_WareAaron Websteylakercr
    First #BAAW Badge Recipient
  • Options
    idking90idking90 Member, Pro Triathlete
    @lakercr not totally sure where you're starting from and what you're looking for, but John Kenny is potentially your guy. Former 10k national champ now races pro triathlon
    http://www.johnkennytri.com
    lakercr
  • Options
    idking90 said:

@lakercr not totally sure where you're starting from and what you're looking for, but John Kenny is potentially your guy. Former 10k national champ now races pro triathlon
    http://www.johnkennytri.com

Thanks, I'll check him out.

Starting point will be decent IM swim fitness. This is a solo swim (with support).

• Options
    I've done up to 10 miles OWS. When I trained for that one, peak volume a month or so out was 30k/week. That included usually 2 days/week of double swims that were shorter (like 3k in the AM/3-4k PM), which I think helped me a lot. I usually do a 5 miler or 10k a few times a year now, and can get away with lower volume in the leadup.

Key thing to think about - is there current? 9 miles with current vs 9 miles no current vs 9 miles against current are very different beasts.
    Aaron WebsteylakercrTad_MM_WareRobert RankinCraig_DGasBombMartinyournotuniqueDawnC
    Resident Genius.
  • Options
    Adrienne said:

I've done up to 10 miles OWS. When I trained for that one, peak volume a month or so out was 30k/week. That included usually 2 days/week of double swims that were shorter (like 3k in the AM/3-4k PM), which I think helped me a lot. I usually do a 5 miler or 10k a few times a year now, and can get away with lower volume in the leadup.

Key thing to think about - is there current? 9 miles with current vs 9 miles no current vs 9 miles against current are very different beasts.

Thanks @Adrienne this is helpful.

There won't be any current. This is a lake swim that will be west>east, which is the prevailing wind direction as well. Assuming a typical summer day, it should be smooth as glass if I start at sunrise.

This is looking to the west:

Aaron WebsteykjrunninStruangKenElPescadoPeladoTad_MM_WareA_drizzleRobert RankinCraig_DGasBombyournotuniqueDawnC

• Options
    @lakercr Looks fantastic. Sign me up.

Other things to think about - practice eating/drinking while treading. Also peeing while treading. Next to impossible to do that while swimming. If you have the opportunity, practice that stuff with your pilot beforehand too.
    M_Ware
    Resident Genius.
  • Options

Now that @ZenTriathlon is posting, maybe he'll have some advice. Except ignore it if it involves butterfly.

True. Don't listen to me. ;)

So the way to do it is like this - Treat it just like long course bike or run training. Do a long swim every weekend. Add 10 minutes or so to that long swim until you hit 3 or 4 hours. Bring all your fuel to the edge of the pool and practice stopping every 20 minutes for a quick snack and then keep swimming. Stopping more often than that will damage your finish time. Stopping less often than that will make you bonk.

Advanced tip - A lot of people are finding adding in ucan to their long fuel helps stabilize blood sugar for stuff where they can't take breaks as often (like long ows). But practice it in training, not just on race day.

GasBombAaron WebsteyM_WarekjrunninCraig_DTad_M

I'm recording this.

• Options
    rangamelrangamel Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    lakercr said:

There's a swim I want to do next summer - about 9 miles open water. I have no idea how to prepare for this. I'm thinking that I should probably build up my swim frequency/duration this winter.

Anything else I should know?

I've done two 10k swims as part of Ultraman.
    The most recent race build up I did involved a lot of 5-6k swims and only a couple of 7-8ks and I took 40mins off my swim time in two years between races.

I found that doing Eg. 15x100m pull/paddles @ 80% at the end of a hard session helped me push through that fatigue you get with swimming long distance.

Figure out your nutrition plan and tell your paddler what it is - when you want what and how they are going to signal to you that it is time to have something. I told my paddler to raise their arm so I could see it when I breathed to that side. That way it stops you from having to look at your watch etc.

Have your paddler beside you. Not in front/behind.
    If you breathe to one side, put them on that side. But be mindful of the time of day that you'll be swimming if the sun is going to be in your eyes.

I didn't practice with my paddler either time before the race but I was lucky that I had great people both times. Just be clear with them that it is their job to sight and feed you and your job is to swim.

Good luck!
    Tad_MkjrunninCraig_DDawnC
    Slightly mental triathlete who is allergic to the sun

• Options
    I'm a washed-up OWS guy (I'm only 25, if that counts). Back in high school/college, I lived quite close to Lake Michigan. At one point I raced a 25k, but my best distance was always the 5k and 10k. Nearly cracked an hour at Big Shoulders 5k a few years back.

I swam 6-7 days per week, usually 4-5 times in the lake and the rest in the pool. The Lake was for long and steady efforts, the pool workouts were standard distance-swimmer-type workouts. 4-8km of intervals. 1-2 recovery swims per week. My biggest ever week was 110,000m.I had quite a few 90,000-100,000m weeks. Most weeks at least 70,000-75,000. I know it sounds ridiculous, but a few 6 or 8 hour lake swims will get you there no problerm. It worked for me, but then I had shoulder surgery. 2:10 for 10k, 1:01 5k OWS were my rough PR's.

YRMV
    M_Ware

rule 5 and stfu

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch