frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Yokohama - a dog's breakfast of Olympic qualifications

Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
Start with this: http://www.triathlon.org/news/article/olympic_qualification_update_ahead_of_yokohama

Who will qualify for the US men?  Will Katie Z pull off the auto-qualify? Who will have more Olympians this year, @joelfilliol or @TheActualPaulo ?

Canadians - can Yorke and Jones hang on? Will Tyler 'Coleslaw Chuck' Mislawchuk grab a spot?
#KOAT
M_Ware

Comments

• Options
    Would love to see Eric Lagerstrom get the final US spot for the men. I don't fully understand what needs to happen and where everyone needs to place or finish in front of etc. but it should be an exciting race. 

I I have a feeling Katie Z will auto qualify as well but you never know with ITU racing!
    M_WareAaron Websteymbrekk44
  • Options
    doyoueventribrodoyoueventribro Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    I've read 3 articles and still have no clue how Canada can get 3 spots in Rio. This is definitely a case of "just race and hope for the best"

• Options
    Zach MillerZach Miller Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    listen to the podcast to see who i think will make the USA Team for Rio

You will be surprised! 
    Aaron WebsteyGranpa Chook
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    "just race and hope for the best"

I saw that as "just race dope for the rest"
    KenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    Jason PedersenJason Pedersen Member, Pro Triathlete
    As I described on the podcast, the men's team "is currently" Greg, Joe and Eric. At minimum, assuming those three don't improve on one of their previous Olympic qualification scores,
    • Ben Kanute would need a 20th to catch Eric;
    • Kevin McDowell needs a 14th to catch Eric;
    • Jarrod Shoemaker needs a 10th to catch Eric.
    Now it's so much more complicated of course because Eric can improve his score with a 20th or better. It looks pretty locked up for Greg and Joe. Remember no one is auto-qualified, however, so anyone in the top-3 goes to Rio.

For the ladies, no one can catch Katie on points -- they would need a top-3. There is always the option of picking a domestique, but the list of potential athletes (you need to be "Olympic eligible" -- basically top-140 in one of the three ITU points lists) are not capable domestiques at this level, in my opinion. Note: Sarah Haskins is NOT eligible.
    Granpa ChookM_WarebalsdorfAaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPeladojakesaundersEmilyCocksidking90

Professional Triathlete
    twitter: @jasonpedersen
    instagram: @jpbjorn
    web: http://www.runpd.com

• Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    @Jason Pedersen thanks for the insight!
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Yeah, now I don't have to listen to the podcast at all!
    :)
    simonsen77trsradio69
    #KOAT
  • Options
    KMRyanTriKMRyanTri Member, Pro Triathlete
    How do we make a poll about whether or not Shoemaker gets a flat?
    Aaron Websteyidking90
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited May 2016
    Yokohama should have plenty of spares.

MattrigpigAaron WebsteyyournotuniqueKHilgendorfellsworth53t
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    I should clarify that I will still be listening to the Triathlon Preview Show with @Zach Miller and @EmilyCocks , available on iTunes. I was being sarcastic.
    jakesaundersEmilyCocks
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Granpa ChookGranpa Chook Member
    edited May 2016
    Those were some fun races to watch!

ITU da best.

What the hell was in Joe Maloy's mouth on the run? Chewing gum?
    Jason Pedersen
  • Options
    Kelly O'MaraKelly O'Mara Member, Pro Triathlete
    @Jason Pedersen can you explain why the domestique option wasn't an option for the men? Their qualification was determined right away, but Katie has to wait to find out?
    M_Ware
  • Options
    EmilyCocksEmilyCocks Member, Pro Triathlete, POTM
    @Kelly O'Mara just a guess here (will let @Jason Pedersen give more expert advice) but perhaps it is because the women have a clear gold medal favorite/contender in Gwen Jorgensen. If she has help on the swim/bike and gets off anywhere close on the run she can win. The men, no offense, don't have that. At this point Billington, Maloy, Kanute aren't going to run with the likes of Mola, Gomez, Luis, Brownlees. 

However, I have no idea who they would pick out of the women eligible to fill the role. Gwen has been swimming and riding well in the front pack. She has definitely improved from a couple years ago when she "needed" someone to pull her to the front (Edmonton 2014). 
    Jason Pedersen
  • Options
    @Jason Pedersen can you explain why the domestique option wasn't an option for the men? Their qualification was determined right away, but Katie has to wait to find out?
    In the qualification document, it says, after automatic qualification slots are filled, up to one position may be selected as a domestique to help those who have already qualified, since they have demonstrated the ability to win at Rio. That one position may be filled by the Elite Athlete Selection Committee (EASC) if, "in their opinion, can substantially assist either gold medal capable athletes." 

On the women's side, we have two athletes capable of winning because of how well the performed at the Rio selection event. Of course, we all know Katie is capable as well, based on her amazing racing resume over the last two years or so. 

Let's look at the men: The domestique criteria goes on to say that after each athlete earns his position through the Objective Ranking System (ORS) (ironically named because the ranking is based on athlete performances at the five selection races, which is subjective), a domestique may be considered before filling the rest of the team. So after Joe qualified as #1 in the ORS, EASC would have considered a domestique. After not choosing to select one, Greg earned his slot and EASC reconsidered. Finally, Ben earned his place. My guess is that USAT and EASC had already agreed before the race that they wouldn't be supporting the US men with a domestique. I think we all agree that this makes sense for them. The men's team is much deeper than it has been in a long time (ever?), but they aren't quite at the women's level yet.

Back to the women: Let's all agree that Gwen and Sarah would meet the designation that they are capable of winning in Rio. Katie didn't qualify automatically, so now we are at this possible domestique selection. I think it does make sense to consider it on the women's side.

The criteria for domestiques says 1) consistent first-pack swimming results in WTS and World Cups, 2) "a record of superior cycling time-trial ability in non-drafting, or draft-legal events, and 3) "Demonstrated knowledge of cycling team tactics." Before you say, "Sarah Haskins!," I will add that all athletes need to be Olympic eligible. Sarah Haskins is not top-140 on the ITU points list, Olympic points list, or the 2015 WTS ranking, per the criteria.

So who IS eligible?
    • Katie Zaferes
    • Kirsten Kasper
    • Renee Tomlin
    • Summer Cook
    • Lindsey Jerdonek
    • Erin Dolan
    • Erin Jones
    • Taylor Spivey
    • Kaitlin Donner
    • Chelsea Burns
    • Taylor Knibb
    • Nicole Truxes
    • Avery Evenson
    • Johanna Gartman
    • Bria Edwards
    • Jessica Broderick
    I think most people would agree that under the domestique criteria listed, Katie is the best choice there. So, if USAT really wants a domestique, I think they would ask Katie.

So Katie should be either a domestique or as an ORS qualifier, in my "objective" opinion. It sort of becomes a sticky situation when you ask an athlete capable of medalling to forfeit their race for someone else. Maybe then they look to Kirsten Kasper? But I don't really know how her cycling ability is, which is going to matter in Rio.

TL;DR: The women's final selection is taking longer than the men because the women's team has two athletes that are capable of winning in Rio and they are considering a domestique. Domestique or on her own merit, I think Katie should be selected. (and I certainly lean towards on-her-own-merit)
    M_WareAaron WebsteyKelly O'Maraidking90simonsen77Granpa ChookDawnCBrian MacIlvainCJBerg007

Professional Triathlete

• Options
    Kelly O'MaraKelly O'Mara Member, Pro Triathlete
    @Jason Pedersen I think a domestique would be a bullshit option -- particularly since for Sarah to have a shot at a medal she'd have to try and get away on the bike, which means you'd basically be using a domestique to reel her back in (or, at least, that's one scenario that could play out). And I think Katie has earned the right to go in her own right.

I more didn't understand how the automatic qualification criteria had NOT been met for the women, but had for the men? How had Katie not automatically qualified? But the three men did? (Given she finished/finishes much higher than them?)
    M_WareJennifer Post
  • Options
    perfectly said @Jason Pedersen i would of said the same thing 

my question would be

1. if US asks Katie to be a domestique, does she take the spot?
    2. if she takes the spot will she be a domestique at the race or race her own race?
  • Options
    @Jason Pedersen 
    I more didn't understand how the automatic qualification criteria had NOT been met for the women, but had for the men? How had Katie not automatically qualified? But the three men did? (Given she finished/finishes much higher than them?)
    The men didn't get automatically qualified. It might look that way because how quick it was all announced, but all three men qualified via that ORS. Katie met the auto criteria in Rio as she was 6th, but Gwen and Sarah beat her, and only two athletes in the top-8 at that event were able to qualify in that race. She wasn't top-3 in Yokohama, so no autoqualification. 

Clear as mud?
    A_drizzleAaron WebsteyKelly O'MaraRobert Rankin

Professional Triathlete

• Options
    @Jason Pedersen: domestique option only activated in case of automatic qualification. Since no men qualified automatically, domestique option is not activated and goes directly to ORS results.
    Aaron WebsteyKelly O'MaraCJBerg007

Do you know who I am?

• Options
    KMRyanTriKMRyanTri Member, Pro Triathlete
    @Jason Pedersen  Taylor Knibb is dirty on a bicycle.  She is still in high school, though...
    idking90
  • Options
    @Jason Pedersen: domestique option only activated in case of automatic qualification. Since no men qualified automatically, domestique option is not activated and goes directly to ORS results.

Below, 1.3.1 is Automatic qualification. 1.3.3 is ORS. 

If the Elite Athlete Selection Committee chooses not to fill the spot with a domestique after 1.3.1, the opportunity to reconsider Domestique Selection will be available after each individual Athlete added to Team through 1.3.3. 

I understand that to mean that domestique will be reconsidered after each individual is selected from ORS, as I described earlier.

Professional Triathlete

• Options
    idking90idking90 Member, Pro Triathlete
    @Jason Pedersen @KMRyanTri That's not a foreign idea. I saw a couple times in Clermont she attacked the breakaway group that included Haskins though nothing stuck but she won anyway. Follow that up with Richmond where she just got away solo early and never looked back...but then again those are sprint Conti Cups, and Richmond especially lacked a lot of the top end talent that was peaking for Yokohoma. I also don't know if Taylor's ever done an Olympic distance race. Not that she couldn't, but the criteria also calls out WTS/WC racing, which she also hasn't done, even though that'd be a no-brainer that she is a front-pack swimmer.
    As far as her age, she has at least a couple Olympic cycles, so it might not be a bad idea at all to get her "the experience" now before she's a legitimate contender in 2020 and beyond. 
  • Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    I think it's total BS if Katie doesn't get the 3rd slot. Gwen doesn't need a domestique and Katie is a podium contender. Better to have 3 strong podium contenders on the start line in Rio than a "domestique" that isn't needed. Katie has proven (I think 5 times) during the qualification period she can make the podium and should be given the opportunity. If all USAT cares about is the Gold medal then why even bother sending the 3 US men who no one would consider podium contenders. Waste of resources if the Gold medal is all USAT cares about.
    M_WareKelly O'Mara
  • Options
    I stand corrected.
    trsradio69James Lange

Do you know who I am?

• Options
    cathcamcathcam Member
    Doesn't selecting a female domestic depend on if you think Gwen can actually run down the field at the Olympics? 

The Olympics isn't just an ITU race,  it's not just a world championship race,  it's a once in a lifetime race for many athletes,  anything can and does happen. 

Also,  Helen Jenkins is in great form and improving,  there are plenty of women who can and will likely be in front of Gwen off the bike,  it's not at all a certainty that Gwen will be close enough to run them down. 

Picking someone who swims at least as well as Gwen and who can be an aggressive bike leadout would be the smart thing to do and certainly not the bs option. 

Now,  how exactly did the US Men get 3 slots? Yeah I know.....  But really
  • Options
    EmilyCocksEmilyCocks Member, Pro Triathlete, POTM
    @cathcam men have 3 spots because they had enough points (as a "team") to be top 8 in the world. 
  • Options
    cathcam said:

Picking someone who swims at least as well as Gwen and who can be an aggressive bike leadout would be the smart thing to do and certainly not the bs option. 

Smart or BS? I think it depends on if you think the Gold medal is the ultimate goal for the US in an "individual" sport and worth potentially losing a podium contender in your 3rd slot and risk reeling in your #2 athlete that may be in a bike breakaway that is also a podium contender and placed 4th in London and Rio test event.

Until/if mixed relay gets into the Olympics I don't think athlete selections should be based on team tactics and instead should just send the top 3 athletes when all 3 have proven they can make the podium. US placed 1/4/6 in the Rio test event (not to mention other podiums during the qualification period) so they should give their top 3 athletes an opportunity to race.

simonsen77balsdorfElaine K
  • Options
    cathcamcathcam Member
    No,  it really comes down to if you think Gwen is invincible.  If you do,  do what you like with the other two selections. 

ITU triathlon despite what you assert,  hasn't been a genuine individual sport since Leanda cave won the world's in 2002. Since then it's become more and more about teams for the big Olympic tri countries,  and unless you are a selector,  what you think,  doesn't matter. Team managers,  selectors in many countries have been selecting domestiques for key races since then. 

The fact that the US is late to the party,  and didn't have  real contender for the 2012 Olympics, and Laura Bennett was a place rather than a win for 2008, doesn't mean USAT can select likes it's 2004 all over again.

If you look at the potential podium candidates for the Olympics and compare to the test event,  you'll get a very different list. While I'm not arguing the Americans have a chance for 3 podium places,  only an amateur whose job didn't depend on it would actually plan for that. 

World domination is best left to the Donald,  he is the only person who thinks that crushing the opposition is both a good thing,  and possible.. 

I have nothing for/against any of the USA team members, all of whom could have a spot... sadly it doesn't work like that, ask Jodie Swallow for example about the British 2004 selection process and the debacle that ensued.
    KenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    cathcamcathcam Member
    @cathcam men have 3 spots because they had enough points (as a "team") to be top 8 in the world. 
    Thanks @EmilyCocks ;, thats what the British would call "stating the bloody obvious". The real question is, do they actually deserve 3-slots? Have their performances warranted it? or will they be shutting out a competitor who is as good or better from another country who isn't in a "team".

Note @Jennifer Post  you can't have it both ways... its either Individual, in which case the men should only get two slots, or its a team selection in which case, you select for the best team outcome.
  • Options
    @cathcam I don't think US should send 3 men. I don't think it makes sense to send a guy that finished 58th in the Rio test event and 17th in Yoko when men's field was missing all the top contenders with the exception of Mola. I really don't like the country slot allocations because every Olympics some very top athletes don't make their country squad. I'd rather see the top 55 in ITU points list during the qualification period get slots regardless of country.

As for your other point about Gwen being invincible. No, I don't think she is invincible but I still think the other two women that are among the world's best should be able to compete. If USAT goes with a domestique instead of Katie I hope it backfires on them like it did on GB on their home soil when they went with Hall. I'd be quite happy to see a podium with Hewitt at the top followed by others such as Duffy, Norden, Sanford, Jenkins, Gentle, or True. 

And yes, I realize I am not a selector so as you point out it doesn't really matter but I still am allowed my opinion as a fan.
    GasBombcathcam
  • Options
    I don't understand why everybody is saying the US men don't deserve 3 spots.  Yes they will not win but they will be somewhere in the middle of the pack.  Give me 3 names that would be better off at the Olympics then the US men.  All the top names will be there.  Based on what you are saying then we should only send the top 20 athletes to Rio.

yes there is maybe a 4th athlete from other countries that are ahead of our 3rd athlete, but how many of those are there ? 1-2 okay cool 1-2 people better athletes don't get spots but now if we are talking 3-10 athletes then yes maybe there is a case to talk about 
    Brent_RKelly O'Mara

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch