frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Hoka Trail Shoes advice

Pretty much the only shoe I can run in right now is the bondi 4 and was curious which trail shoe in Hoka line is most similar to bondi? I tried the Challenger ATR and it didn't work for me. I'm not too concerned with weight, just would like to duplicate the ride of the Bondi.
WTC Free since 2010

Comments

• Options
    Closest thing would be the Stinson ATR's at this point.
    Resident Gear Guru
    Bike Crash Free Since August 4th, 2014
  • Options
    Several years ago I started running in Newton's- they had only three styles so it was easy to find a shoe to try, and in my case really like. Fast forward a couple years and the number of styles had multiplied like rabbits and my style was no longer made. Seems like the same thing is happening with Hoka. I would hate to be a shoe store and try to keep up with that madness.
    M_Ware
    WTC Free since 2010

• Options
    @WadeCutter Have you tried the Bondi's on the trail? My Challenger ATRs break down equally as fast as my Clifton's on the trail--they just don't hold up that well on rock terrain here in AZ. I've gone back to the Cliftons for all terrain as well as road. They aren't bad at all off road because the Challenger ATR's lugs were so damn soft.
  • Options

Several years ago I started running in Newton's- they had only three styles so it was easy to find a shoe to try, and in my case really like. Fast forward a couple years and the number of styles had multiplied like rabbits and my style was no longer made. Seems like the same thing is happening with Hoka. I would hate to be a shoe store and try to keep up with that madness.

The infusion of capital from Deckers was all to really expand the line-up as far as they could. In that, some of the core models became expendable. Particularly, the shoe that started it all (the Mafate) has disappeared.

Deckers does help out in that there are certain models that are vendor-online-only / run specialty channel only, as compared to everything available to any store that wants them. It helps limit which shoes owners are likely to bring in. Deckers also has a pretty friendly revisions policy on futures orders AND a great end-of-season stock swap availability (so if you order something, and it doesn't shake out...you can get credit towards next season's shipments).

In the instance of Newton...well, best not to talk about Newton.
    Resident Gear Guru
    Bike Crash Free Since August 4th, 2014
  • Options
    WadeCutterWadeCutter Member
    edited October 2016
    @Jason Lentzke my primary reason for trail shoes is for running this winter on snow. Sadly even the treadmill has been an injury aggravator so looking for a slightly more aggressive tread as all my winter mileage will be outside. Secondarily, I thought my tread was wearing much quicker than expected with the Bondi so not really sure what to do but more off road miles can't hurt.
    WTC Free since 2010

• Options
    @WadeCutter ah. got it, that makes sense. Have you tried winterizing the shoes with screws or Yaktrax?
  • Options
    I had owned something similar to Yaktrax once, could never get it to fit right- in fact it might still be in my bone yard somewhere might be worth reinvestigating
    Jason Lentzke
    WTC Free since 2010

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch