frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Indoor bike storage options

I live in Fl and it's humid here. The mechanic at my LBS says my first bike has taken an extra beating because I stored it in the garage. We have a spare room in our new house that I'm slowly turning into a pain cave/my man room. At the moment I've got my bikes just propped up on the wall and am looking at hanging options to save on space. Anybody have any advice on wall mounted racks? I keep finding rubbermaid racks like I have in the garage or $200 wooden racks. Looking for something aesthetically pleasing that's not going to cost a fortune.

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though

Comments

• Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM
    You could get some cheap road handlebars, mount them so they make a U and mount the bikes in them.
    Robert Rankin
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Robert Rankin
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    I like the handle bar idea, just have to see if it'd work. I've thought about the clug, and would prefer a top tube hanging option to keep the back wheel off the wall. Thanks for the input

• Options
    Go to Pinterest and search bike storage there is an infinite amount of cheap options. Also you can make the wooden storage racks pretty cheap; you just have to be slightly handy.
    M_WareRobert RankinScheck48
  • Options
    This. http://www.theknifeandsaw.com/KSItemDetail.php?PC=2&II=2

It's expensive, yes, but no sexier way of storing your bike. Used to have it in our old condo; the buyers demanded that we leave it. It's awesome and highly recommended.
    M_WareAaron WebsteyPreachSwansonGranpa Chook
  • Options
    PreachSwansonPreachSwanson Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    @kevinschummer - dude, that is great... I will now be starting to do some woodworking and building a few of those this winter!
    _MurMan
    TRS Racing
    I'm an angel with an incredible capacity for beer
  • Options
    slickfins_Ryanslickfins_Ryan Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    I have this:

http://www.rei.com/product/884870/delta-cycle-michelangelo-rrs-2-bike-storage-rack

Only costs $100, there is 0 installation, it doesn't fuck up your wall, it's sturdy, and it looks pretty nice as well.

Kind of wish I was Canadian. Sorry.

• Options
    @PreachSwanson It's really quite amazing. Sturdy as hell being 15 lbs and having a 15 lbs bike on it! It's funny how simple that shelf is, and yet nothing exists quite like it.

Nearly 3 yrs later, I'm still pissed I had to leave it. Always wondered how a tri bike and its different dimensions would fit in there.
  • Options
    HSeeley14HSeeley14 Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    We have the same as @slickfins and currently have 4 bikes mounted on it and still have room to set up the bike trainer with plenty of room to spare. We even stored our heavy cruiser bikes on it at one point and it held the weight fine.
    slickfins_Ryan
  • Options
    PreachSwansonPreachSwanson Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    @Kevinschummer I am going to try and build one for my commuter at the office... if it goes well I will build you one.
    kevinschummer
    TRS Racing
  • Options
    I've looked at the gravity racks. Was hoping for something like what @kevinschummer suggested but at a fraction of the price. I may give building one a go.

• Options
    Okay, I was in a boring meeting so I did some thinking about it. For a decent hardwood you are looking at $25-40 in lumber, some oil, a hole saw sized right and about 3 hours of labor to build one. After I get back from Kona I'll build one of these for sure! If it works out I can post the plans I draw up for it or just ask and I'll build you one.
    TRS Racing
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    @PreachSwanson I'm planning to knock out something similar myself once I'm done training for Austin. I already have some espresso stained red oak boards lying around (1x8) from an old bed frame, so I'm looking at about $5 in materials to do this. I'm going a little different on the design, it being more an open box than a thick book shelf. That way I can pop in some spare tubes, CO2, small tools, etc. so there's no need to search for anything prior to a ride. I think with all the staining/laquering required on one of these it'll still be a 3-4 day project. But only 3-5 hrs of actual work. Just a lot of waiting around. The $300 they're charging is, in my opinion, about $150 more than necessary. I think I could sell my idea for $75 and still make a tidy profit. Only problem is, CB2 has one for $50.:

http://www.cb2.com/wood-bike-storage/s309683?a=501&adpos=1o1&creative=55709482269&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CInZq6vDnMgCFQ-IaQodtHUPAQ
  • Options

This. http://www.theknifeandsaw.com/KSItemDetail.php?PC=2&II=2

It's expensive, yes, but no sexier way of storing your bike. Used to have it in our old condo; the buyers demanded that we leave it. It's awesome and highly recommended.

That is pretty cool.
  • Options
    _MurMan_MurMan Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited October 2015
    I have 5 of these things. They work well and the arms adjustable to keep your bikes flat if you have angled top tubes, which a lot of bikes do

https://www.cyclocross.com/product/feedback-velo-wall-rack
    Robert Rankin

Sean Murnane - East Coast Hooligan

• Options
    _MurMan said:

I have 5 of these things. They work well and the arms adjustable to keep your bikes flat if you have angled top tubes, which a lot of bikes do

https://www.cyclocross.com/product/feedback-velo-wall-rack

Feedback also makes a free standing rack with these same adjustable arms if you can't drill into walls.

Nathan Kiser
    Just FYI, you... are also less than mediocre. -TheActualPaulo

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch