frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Want to run from Miami to Key West with 11 total strangers?

yournotuniqueyournotunique Member, Rooster Endurance Member
Because our Ragnar Run team just lost someone. Not literally, we know where he is, but due to injury he can't run.

And, since we're about a month out, we're completely screwed. So, does anybody want to join us? The race is Feb5-6.
-I know it's wrong. Blame old AOL character limits. Illadelph |

Comments

• Options
    What kind of distance would you need a team mate to run? Are you looking to be competitive or just to do Ragnar and have a good time in the keys?

TRS East

• Options
    Just a good time. I *was* going to be the fastest runner, but coming off injury and having a baby I'm basically just now starting to train. I'll probably be around 9:00/mi 10k pace in a month, and that'll still have me in the top quarter of the team.

As far as distance, the two longest groups of legs are taken (both over 20mi), after that it's anything from like 12-18. Though we have one girl who'll be 20wks pregnant and we're giving her the shortest group.
  • Options
    @Duckies Catch me on twitter or text me (my number is on the spreadsheet). Other question I forgot to ask - if a team member lives within 100mi of any part of the course we're required to supply 3 volunteers. I know (think?) you're a Florida guy, but not sure where...
  • Options
    This sounds like a ton of fun but I will be working in Augusta, GA on those dates. Otherwise a cheap flight would have coaxed me in.

Great Uncle, Average Father, Mediocre Triathlete

• Options
    Yeah, I did one of these last year where we ran from Gettysburg to DC. It was brutal (at least my legs of the run were) but awesome. If you get a chance to do one, I highly recommend it. Though I'd try to do it either early or late in the season - mid season will hurt because you're essentially pulling a 24-30 hr day with 3 runs thrown in.
    Ironfan
  • Options

Other question I forgot to ask - if a team member lives within 100mi of any part of the course we're required to supply 3 volunteers. I know (think?) you're a Florida guy, but not sure where...

It's 179 miles to Key West, but I'll drop down to support you guys! No way I can run 12-18 miles right now; I've been out almost all of last year in various casts and the doctor only cleared me Friday for 20min runs 2x/week, working up to an hour with +5min/wk increments. I could make a 10k in a month or so, but no way I can double or triple it in the same time.

I'll happily meet you guys up with beer and barbecue, though!

TRS East

• Options
    @yournotunique I'll be there in another team. We are still figuring out our name but it shouls be booze related. Looking forward to meeting you

Dr. Jocy - TRS EAST Bitches!

• Options
    @Duckies Well, not that it sounds like it'll make a huge difference, but it wound't be 12-18 at once. It's broken up over 3 legs. Each one ~10ish hours apart. I'm re-restarting and did a 10min run this morning!

Honestly, I'm probably going to break myself doing this, so you're just proving that you're smarter than me. Dick.

@drjocy Our team name last year, for the Gettysburg-DC run that finished next to the [I forget its name] bridge was "Take it to the Bridge" and we had t-shirts with James brown on them. Because we're a bunch of music nerds. This year we're revising it to "Take it to the Causeway". Still working on t-shirt design, because that's, admittedly, a pretty terrible name, lol.
  • Options
    Our ultra team name was Shit Ton of Fun but Ragnar had issues with it. So we went bilingual and changed it to Mierda Ton of Fun to celebrate Miami. We'll be down on Duval Sat-Mon for anyone heading that way.
    yournotuniquedrjocy
  • Options
    I'm officially jealous. Not of the ultra part, because fuck that, just of the name. That's an inspired choice.
    drjocy
  • Options

Yeah, I did one of these last year where we ran from Gettysburg to DC. It was brutal (at least my legs of the run were) but awesome. If you get a chance to do one, I highly recommend it. Though I'd try to do it either early or late in the season - mid season will hurt because you're essentially pulling a 24-30 hr day with 3 runs thrown in.

I did AOR last year too. How about that rain?!

Did Miami to KW too, way too hot coming from the NE.
  • Options
    With it being something like 0° (with windchill) for my run this morning, I'm am more than fine with some heat.

I don't remember the rain, but I did leg 6 (the crazy hill one, and I will never, ever forget that) and got a massive hamstring cramp on my last leg and did the final 4miles hobbling. Everything else is sort of a blur.
  • Options
    Ironfan said:

Always baffled by triathletes complainig of hot races. HTFU @ironfan
    yournotuniqueIronfan

• Options
    @drjocy The problem is there's no real chance to get acclimated. I had a race a couple years ago where I went from training in 65°-75° temps to a race in 90°. I was pissing dark brown; BP dropped to something like 70/40. Not good stuff. I was just dehydrated because I hadn't figured out how much fluids I would need in that sort of heat and humidity.

I still finished, though :)
    drjocyAaron Webstey
  • Options
    _MurMan_MurMan Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    @drjocy an always classic name is "our couch pulls out but we don't"!
    drjocy

Sean Murnane - East Coast Hooligan

• Options
    We finally decided on our teaam name : "Running up a tab" however "Not tonight; I'm on the RAGnar" was a second close

• Options
    drjocy said:

Ironfan said:

Always baffled by triathletes complainig of hot races. HTFU @ironfan
    It was 110 degree temperature swing for me in less than 24 hours. It sucked.
    Aaron Websteyyournotunique
  • Options
    110?!? Antarctica to Death Valley?
    drjocy

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch