frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

January Swim Challenge - 1000 m per day

Craig_DCraig_D Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM

Since a few of us are planning to poke the Impossibleman bear this year its time to resurrect the January Swim Challenge. Who's in? Every Sunday this month I'm going to post my planned workouts for the week in case anyone else wants to play along. These are from an Ironman program I bought a while ago that has worked some wonders for me - when I actually use it. The goal is to hit the 31000 m or yards by the end of the month. This weeks workouts (Repeat #1 or 2 only if adding a session):
SWIM #1 (2000M)
400 Easy w/u as 4x100 w/10sec rest between
8x50 Moderate with PB + Paddles w/10sec rest between
Main Set - 40x25 (no toys) as:

• #1, 20x25 as 1 Fast, 3 Easy
  • #2, 20x25 as 2 Fast, 2 Easy
  • all with w/10sec rest between
    2x100 easy c/d with PB w/10sec rest between

SWIM #2 (2000M)
40x50m
First 6 & last 6 as easy w/u & c/d

• The rest are ALL Max SUSTAINABLE pace with pull buoy and paddles
  • Aiming for dead arms
  • 5 sec rest after each

SWIM #3 (2400M)
400 easy w/u
2x [12x50m as 3 Easy, 1 All Out] with PB + Paddles with 15sec rest between each.
Then;
200 HARD after each 12x50 with 2min rest between sets]
4x50m easy as 25m kick 25 swim with 10sec rest between each.
200 easy c/d

Canadian Division
Aaron WebsteyM_Ware

Comments

• Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM

I’m on the TriRoost IM training plan for impossibleman, don’t do a damn thing until the week before, then don’t do anything that week either.

wchevronAaron WebsteyCraig_DStruangMartinkjrunninTad_MJames Lange
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers

@Craig_D this is awesome! I was just talking about my January goals. My plan was going to be 2 swims a week but maybe I'll try to bump it up! It will be a real challenge to fit it all in (TWSS) but I'm up for giving it a shot.

Craig_D
    #KOAT
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member

I'm in for 31k meters.

Craig_DAaron Webstey
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM

I don't even know what TWSS is, I'm screwed. I'll just settle for finding my way to the pool again in January and remembering to put my suit on before walking out onto the deck.

StruangAaron Webstey
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    edited January 2023

Tad_MwchevronCraig_DMartin
    #KOAT
  • Options

As of yesterday I was 4200m in 5 days. Should be able to get 2400 on Saturday evening or maybe get up to 2800 if I hustle. I might actually be able to do this!

Craig_D
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Brew_TriBrew_Tri Member, Rooster Endurance Member

You lost me at (no toys).

kjrunninAaron WebsteyCraig_D
    Yay Sports! :#
  • Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter

He lost me at "swim challenge".

I'm 100% a joiner. But I had a goal to average 1000m a day for 2022 and I fell short (by a mere 16.4K) and I am still feeling salty. I'm blaming covid in September and a cold in December. In no way did skipping any of the swims my coach programmed for me contribute.

StruangAaron WebsteyCraig_D

• Options

Taking a break from writing for a bit, and spending time with Shelly.
    I feel like I’m swimming. And my gps is recording significant distance even though we’re just being lazy

wchevronAaron WebsteyBrew_TriCraig_DM_Ware
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
  • Options

First 3k workout in ... ??? No idea. And now officially at 7.2k for the first week! Now I sleep for 3 days, good night.

Craig_D
    #KOAT
  • Options
    edited January 2023

I managed 4300m for the week then work started interfering again. Almost up to last years swim total already. Wow.. Big 4 days coming up to catch up. Here is week 2 workouts - essentially the same as week 1:
    SWIM #4 (2000M)
    -#1, 20x25 as 1 Fast, 3 Easy
    -#2, 20x25 as 2 Fast, 2 Easy
    all with w/10sec rest between

SWIM #5 (2000M)
    40x50m
    The rest are ALL Max SUSTAINABLE pace with pull buoy and paddles
    Aiming for dead arms
    5 sec rest after each

SWIM #6 (2400M)
    400 easy w/u
    2x [12x50m as 3 Easy, 1 All Out] with PB + Paddles with 15sec rest between each.
    Then;
    200 easy c/d

Next week there will be some subtle changes. i will post again on Sunday.

Aaron WebsteyM_Ware
    Canadian Division
  • Options

Jumped in the water after recovering from a man cold (and everyone knows man colds are worse than Covid). Coach welcomed me back with a sprint warmup to kill the legs, then 20x100 endurance set.

F that guy.

Aaron WebsteyCraig_DStruang
  • Options

@Martin said:
    Jumped in the water after recovering from a man cold (and everyone knows man colds are worse than Covid). Coach welcomed me back with a sprint warmup to kill the legs, then 20x100 endurance set.

F that guy.

You're your own coach aren't you

PS you probably got that man cold from me. Sworry buddy

Craig_DTad_M
    #KOAT
  • Options

Did swim #4 today with 2 backstrokers and 2 power walkers joining in on the last 500m. That'll teach me for not going earlier in the day.

M_WareAaron Webstey
    Canadian Division
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member

I'm starting my own challenge: swim at least once in January. My training is going well I just can't seem to make it to the pool

MartinCraig_DAaron Webstey

• Options

@James Lange said:
    I'm starting my own challenge: swim at least once in January. My training is going well I just can't seem to make it to the pool

I find that visualizing myself going to the pool helps to ensure that I do not actually go to the pool. ("... And then, after stripping down and putting on two inches of Lycra in a cold changing room, imagine yourself walking on cold, wet tiles, and jumping into the water.")

Aaron WebsteyJames LangeTad_MCraig_Dkjrunnin
  • Options

I think I'm 7000m. Double this weekend will take it to 15ish. Crap. I'm going to have to do a public swim at some point to make it.

kjrunninAaron WebsteyCraig_D
  • Options

I was at 12,050 after yesterday's swim. Still on target!

Craig_D
    #KOAT
  • Options
    edited January 2023

Happy Sunday everyone. #Sworry I lied. The changes start next week. Here are this weeks workouts.

SWIM #7 (2000M)

SWIM #8 (2000M)
    40x50m
    Aiming for dead arms
    5 sec rest after each

SWIM #9 (2400M)
    400 easy w/u
    Then;
    200 easy c/d

Aaron WebsteyM_Ware
    Canadian Division
  • Options

Update: weight loss so far: negative 9 lb. From 205 to almost 215 in just over 2 weeks! Very impressive. Averaging 7k a week swimming and well over an hour of exercise per day.

I may be slipping just a little on the after dinner snacks

#KOAT
  • Options

I'm sure you're just putting on muscle Aaron. I was 215 in September down to 202 in December then back up to 211 after the holidays and now back down to 207. We should have an official weigh-in in at the Sworry Trials!

Aaron Webstey

• Options

Well I did it. Swam 1000m. Challenge complete.

wchevronAaron WebsteyM_WareCraig_DMartinkjrunnin

• Options

Well I'm Strava officially further than I swam last year but lagging behind where I should be by a bunch. Pool is busy busy. Here is this weeks work if everyone hasn't given up yet. The middle set steps up to 100 m now. I found this weekly endurance set really helped my run endurance. It will be up to 6 K by July if you are so inclined. Have Fun!

SWIM #10 (2000M)

SWIM #11 (2500M)
    25x100m
    Aiming for dead arms
    10 sec rest after each

SWIM #12 (2400M)
    400 easy w/u
    Then;
    200 easy c/d

Aaron WebsteyStruangM_Ware
    Canadian Division
  • Options

@Craig_D I'm still going! Sitting at 22k as of Saturday evening. Barring disaster, I'll be at 29 next Saturday, and will only need a little 2k next Mon or Tues to finish up :)

The coach of our swim team's parent group (the Tropical Depressions - the kids' team is called the Hurricanes) has been helping make sure we get at least 2k done on Thursdays, and she even made a special 3k workout for this Saturday :)

wchevronJames LangeCraig_D
    #KOAT
  • Options

I'm seriously considering going to the pool by the end of January. Congrats to all the contestants in this year's challenge.

Aaron WebsteyCraig_D
  • Options
    StruangStruang Member, POTM

I'm now recovering finally from whatever plague I picked up at Xmas so was considering swimming on Monday, but that would ruin my 0 for 30 streak!

Aaron WebsteyCraig_D
  • Options

Getting a cold this week put me behind a little ... I have almost 7k left to finish by Tuesday. Should get 3 no problem tonight but fitting in 4 more could be tough!

Craig_D
    #KOAT
  • Options

3.2 down tonight, 3.55 to go! I think I might make it.

wchevronStruangTad_MCraig_D
    #KOAT
  • Options

Go @Aaron Webstey , Go team!

Aaron Webstey
  • Options

31k in 30 days. I shall now promise myself a TriRoost-sponsored prize that will never be delivered!

Craig_DkjrunninJames LangeStruangwchevron
    #KOAT

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch