frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

What to do with the extra 2 minutes left in a IM Finish?

Craig_DCraig_D Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
edited August 2022 in Main

So your the last qualifying finisher in an IM and you have 2 minutes left of "spare" time. What do you think you would want to do?

Canadian Division
  1. What to do with the extra 2 minutes left in a IM Finish?10 votes
    1. High five everyone in the chute
      50.00%
    2. Fall down
      10.00%
    3. Puke
      20.00%
    4. Something else
      20.00%
Aaron WebsteyTad_MM_Ware

Comments

• Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers

You are the fuckin man buddy. Did I see a FB or IG post about your race? Even better, if you would share the experience here I would jizz my jorts.

#KOAT
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM

Maybe next time you could just say.....if you would share the experience here I would Option 3: Something else.

kjrunninTad_MCraig_DAaron WebsteyMatt
  • Options

Since @Aaron Webstey asked for it I'll see if I can harness some @James Lange writing mojo. Sorry its long but I think it makes for a better story if I lay out what led up to the finish.

My summer plan was to use the #sworry trials to kick off a good couple of months of training. I had lots of vacation time an not much planned otherwise. Up to this point I was working too much and not motivated to train as I had in the past. Savings grace was alot of walking at work and stairs. Lots of stairs. A covid diagnosis, a kid buying a house, and another kid's theatre performance all shot my interest in training to hell. The Sworry trials showed me I was fit enough to finish. IM wouldn't grant a deferral so it was either do it of give them the money.

I decided I was just going to just have a day. I knew I could finish but it wasn't going to be anything to write home about. I was confident enough that I didn't pay attention to any cutoff times.

Plan was to swim around 1:30 (swam a 1:34:31). The bike was gonna be a problem though. It's a brutal course with those hills. My Trainer Road FTP was 205 Watts. I decided to stay under 180 as much as I could. This worked well, but after 80 k I started having issues with chain drops. I run Q Rings which I really like but they can be a pain to set up. One drop jammed bad between the frame and the inner ring and took a bit to free up. Turns out the cables had stretched and once I finally made the correct tweak I was good. Problem was this all went down on the "7 Bitches" section. This is a series of rollers that you really need to hold as much momentum on the downhill as possible. This pretty much cooked my legs. At 100 k then again at 120 k I had flats. I lost about 45 minutes all told with this.

Then came the Yellow Lake climb. The third big climb of the day. The climbing was not done quite yet but this was the last really long climb. Up to this point in my cycling career I have never walked my bike - ever. This was the first of 4 times on this course. It was about 100 yards near the top. My legs just cramped suddenly due to the effort. Walking actually straightened things out. There was an aid station at the top. I was given a choice. Wait for a ride or try to make the 3:30 PM cutoff. I went for it. I have never quit a race since I started triathlon. I think it makes it easier to quit every time after. This was an important decision because it made what happened the rest of the way possible.

So the volunteers scrambled and loaded me up with water and gatorade. I put my head down and smashed my self for about 15 minutes. I remember seeing 300 W pretty steady for a good portion of the ride to the cutoff. I made it with 10 minutes to spare. I'm happy I did because I loved the big decent that followed after the next walking session. Closed road, fast, and pretty. Made it worth it. The rest of the bike was just putting my head down putting in a a decent effort and walking if my legs started screaming.

Then I'm in T2... The run was planned to be whatever it was going to be. Probably more walk than run.
    I'm ready to head out and an official comes by and asks if I'm going out. I didn't realize I was on the bubble again. A sweet little old lady is holding 2 cups of water at the run out telling me I have about a minute to get across the mat. Lol FFS.

The run starts with a double stepped climb up to the KVR trail. It's a steep road run. Again an important decision made here. I'm running math in my head and settled on a few things. This was gonna be 4 laps of the Ode. I did 3 loops - so no problem. I was also going to walk the hills, just like the ultrarunners do. I hit the 2 K mark and I hear a mountain bike behind me on the gravel and the noise is driving me crazy. Its a race official. I realize I'm last. It also hits me that I need to pay attention to cutoffs. He tells me I have 1 hour 15 min to get to the 10 K mark. No problem. Make it with 7 minutes in the bank. Next cutoff is confusion... a coach checking on his athletes tells me 26 K at 9:30 PM, I see Karin around 22 Km and she doesn't know (or care - just run you idiot). Athlete guide says something else. I coming up on run special needs and I'm needing the extra salt I'd packed. The volunteers are going bonkers telling me I need to get to the next mat (just around the next comer - 1/2 a block or so). S o I sprint... and make it.

The rest of the way to 40 Km is just one foot in front of the other, pretty much 9 min /k's, with an official coming by telling me I'm gonna do it, I just have to keep moving. I pass quite a few people. Meet some interesting one's. Ryan - turns out he was going for a legacy spot, the asshole cowboy with a fishing rod and a hatchet, the husband and wife combo leapfrogging Ryan all the way along Main street blasting tunes from their truck, and lots of awesome volunteers.

So just before 40 K I start to see how close it's going to be. This is the first time I have the thought I might not make it. Specific thought is "I'm gonna miss this fucker by 3 seconds". So I start running. Every training run I'd done since May was at around 6:30 / k on the treadmill. I pretty much automatically settle into that pace but it's very uncomfortable. At no time in the race to this point had I run more than a K straight. You run past the finish line and head on an out and back. The finish is packed with people that are cheering people in, but also cheering those passing by. I got a bump in confidence and a bit more speed.

Steve King is set up at what I call the Sicamous Corner - 1 km from the finish. He's so great. You pass him 4 times on the course. There's not many people down at this end of the road. The 3rd time by he says its gonna be close for me but my pace looks good. On the way back, I get there earlier than they expect I think. He tells me again its gonna be really close and "he needs to pick up the pace". That sticks. Steve said I need to pick up the pace so I better get my act together. The next 750m is a fight with myself. No one around, street is quite dark, and I can hear the noise from the finish. I know if I stop running its over. I think about a couple of aid stations where I took a bit of extra time. I think about sections earlier where I made deals with myself to run to a sign post etc, where I stopped before I got there. I'm not mad at myself, but I know I'm gonna be disappointed if I don't make it.

The road bends slightly in the the last bit before the finish and it finally comes into view. Lots of people. It looks cool. A bunch of them start running out. I can finally see the clock 16:56. Some guy is running beside me taking a video, yelling in my ear. I'm thinking "Get the fuck away from me. I'm trying to finish". There's lots of kids running, going crazy, hi fiving. That part is awesome. The adrenaline rush just makes how bad I am feeling disappear. The guy in the booth after I cross tells me "that was fucking insane". They'd been keeping tabs on me for a bit. They didn't think I was going to make it. 16:57 and change.

MartinM_WareBrew_TrikjrunninStruangwchevronAaron WebsteyMatt
    Canadian Division
  • Options

A couple of takeaways on this whole adventure:

• A change in perspective is number one on the list. I will always wonder now about the last official finisher's day. Especially if they were so close to not making it.
    • I could've quit many times through the day / night. No one cares if you do. I didn't and I could never imagine what unfolded as a result. It was just going to be a day doing what I like to do. Pulling that last 2.6 K out of the hat was the cherry on the cake. I have never done anything like that before.
    • Most of us know what its like to be mid / back pack racers. A few in the group are fast enough to challenge for a AG slot. I am always ok with the result, but always looking to improve as well. This was just fun, even exciting, partly because I will never be at the pointy end of the race. I could have finished in 16 hrs flat and not had a great story to tell and carried on with my day.
    • It was shitty at times, but I was never negative about the situation. I can get that way on occasion but kept that buried. Ironman is problem management. I did what I needed to do to finish.
    • No I don't want to finish last again.

Again sorry it's long. It was great to meet Karin and her friends.

MartinM_WarekjrunninJames LangeStruangwchevronAaron WebsteyMatt
    Canadian Division
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member

Best race report ever.

Craig_DwchevronAaron WebsteyMatt
  • Options
    Brew_TriBrew_Tri Member, Rooster Endurance Member

I'm not, not crying.... cheers man! Will this be your last? Finishing last at your last ironman might be a new rooster tradition.

Craig_DAaron WebsteyMartin
    Yay Sports! :#
  • Options

Lol. Not sure if its my last now. I thought it was going to be, but I'm semi inspired so I might go somewhere flat for a change and see what fast feels like. I also like what @Tad_M has going on at the trials. I sure enjoyed doing a bit of everything he offered. 14 hours might be a stretch for me though to get 7 laps in on the Impossibleman. I might need to be serious and train for it.

M_WareAaron Webstey
    Canadian Division
  • Options
    Brew_TriBrew_Tri Member, Rooster Endurance Member

@Craig_D we will chalk this up to you getting the ironman confused with the ode...finishing last means you won so we can count this as a win!

Aaron Webstey
    Yay Sports! :#
  • Options

@James Lange told me the same thing haha

James LangeAaron Webstey
    Canadian Division
  • Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter

OK so about the lack of training... tell me your Strava is missing stuff.

Aaron Webstey

• Options

@kjrunnin said:
    OK so about the lack of training... tell me your Strava is missing stuff.

Lol. This is going to sound like a humblebrag but its not I promise. Strava has a few work outs doubled up from my Wahoo Bolt and Polar watch recording at the same time so if anything its probably less. I had no business being out there at all, but as I said in a post somewhere, will power ruled the day. I'm a stubborn old man. If I didn't make a cutoff and got pulled off I would have been ok with it. I just wasn't going to quit until that happened though.

What Strava doesn't show was how ridiculously busy I was at work starting up a new petrochemical plant. I was on a 12 hour 7 days - 3 off -7 nights - 4 off schedule (working 7 days and 7 nights over 21 days) where 1/3 of them were in the control room. 2/3 were were outside in the plant running around commissioning. I was averaging around 8 km per day of walking over each month for the last year. I had some really big days outside in the plant. As high as 22 KM. This was wearing full PPE and a tool harness, and was pretty physically demanding (hauling hoses cranking valves, etc). In the control room, I could stand at the desk if I want and would do that more than half the day as well. This all helped in the end. Here is a snapshot of just base activity levels in March.

My base aerobic fitness is pretty decent, probably as good as its ever been. I just have no speed lol. I'd get home most days and be too trashed to train and then get up and do it again. Not ideal training. My pool closes earlier than it used to so I did a lot of band pulls instead, working up to 3 sets of 65 with heavy bands. Rides were all Trainer Road with the exception of a few outdoor rides. I relied on the power numbers they provided as they seemed to work. this was my first race with a power meter as well. Runs were all easy on the treadmill to control the pace so I could keep my heartrate were I wanted. I included some 6% hill intervals in every run.

The thing that convinced me I could finish was the week in Michigan. As the guys will confirm, I did every event offered. Not fast. Just steady. The multi loop activities were pretty very consistent time and effort wise. Except for the beer mile.

M_WareAaron Webstey
    Canadian Division
  • Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    edited September 2022

That plant commissioning is probably what got you through the marathon.

You know how when you pull someone up on Strava, it gives you a little table that compares their activity to your own? When I pulled you up after our swim, I thought "no. no, that can't be right".

And the totals here include the IM activity... your YTD bike was only 520K! I actually thought I might have pulled up the wrong profile.

What a contrast! I was worried about all the swims I'd skipped as Alaska approached, and you were like "nah, I've got this, I did a few hill repeats this year and I went to Michigan"

Craig_DStruangAaron WebsteyMatt

• Options

@kjrunnin you are correct about the marathon.

Aaron Webstey
    Canadian Division
  • Options
    StruangStruang Member, POTM

Sounds and looks like you've been following my training plan!

And the answer to what to do with the last 2 minutes is "Moonwalk across the finish line!"

Craig_DTad_MAaron WebsteyMatt
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM

@Struang said:
    Sounds and looks like you've been following my training plan!

And the answer to what to do with the last 2 minutes is "Moonwalk across the finish line!"

We have a winner!

Aaron Webstey
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    toebutt769toebutt769 Member, Rooster Endurance Member

This is my finish line in 2011.

wchevronStruangJames LangeAaron WebsteyCraig_DMattM_Ware
    When keeping it real goes terribly wrong.
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM

Super cool @toebutt769 (and a friend of mine Randy Latza is in the clip - what are the odds....)

James LangeAaron WebsteyCraig_DM_Ware
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch