frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

0 to hero in 10 weeks/Oh shit my Ironman is only 71 days away

Comments

• Options
    Craig_DCraig_D Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM

I am six weeks out from IM Canada. I plan to completely disrespect the distance and am banking on next week’s activities at the Ode to confirm my 16:59 expectations. I’m pretty sure if I make it up Richter I am fat enough to coast into Penticton. Not willing to walk away from the entry that was rolled over twice due to COVID.

M_WareBrew_TriStruangAaron WebsteyMartin
    Canadian Division
  • Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter

@Craig_D said:
    I am six weeks out from IM Canada. I plan to completely disrespect the distance and am banking on next week’s activities at the Ode to confirm my 16:59 expectations. I’m pretty sure if I make it up Richter I am fat enough to coast into Penticton. Not willing to walk away from the entry that was rolled over twice due to COVID.

Have you done IMC (Penticton) before? Richter is fine. It's Yellow Lake you need to worry about.

Aaron Webstey

• Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM

Con someone you know into dressing like a cop. Or get a real cop. Have them arrest you at the finish line. Or throw the baby. Or scream "where's Dan Empfield" "where's Dan Empfield"

Aaron WebsteyMartinslickfins_Ryan
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options

@kjrunnin. First time. Just can’t walk away from tgat entry fee. I’ pretty sure I can finish. Spent the last year commissioning a plant and when I wasn’t in the control room I was walking an average of 18 k a day. Surprising how that impacts your fitness. It’s not going to be pretty though.

Aaron Webstey
    Canadian Division
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM

Did IM Vitoria-Gastiez last weekend. About a month before the race got covid. Lost a week of training. Then 2 weeks before the race had to get an MRI. Bruised ankle and tendonitis in one foot, bursitis in the other foot so no running last 2 weeks before the race.
    I think Ironman takes the 5am pre-race temperatures to determine what they put as the average temp on their website. Said average temps 72*, which is perfect for me, don't really enjoy the heat. 88* and high humidity on race day. Not a single tree for shade the entire bike. The run was pretty shaded but at that point it didn't matter. My walk (run) was almost as long as my bike. Lots of DNF all over the course.
    Although sunny, the bike course was pretty. Wheat fields as far as the eye could see.
    And Basque country was great. @kjrunnin, you would love it. About 30 min away, coming over the mountains, vineyards as far as the eye can see down in the valley. Did a tour in one with an attached hotel designed by Frank Gehry. Looked like a small Guggenheim. Picked up some great wines and a pretty good hangover. Probably not the best idea 2 days before the race and it most likely contributed a bit to my race dehydration but when else am I going to be there.

MattStruangCraig_DM_WareAaron WebsteyTad_M
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers

@Craig_D said:
    @kjrunnin. First time. Just can’t walk away from tgat entry fee. I’ pretty sure I can finish. Spent the last year commissioning a plant and when I wasn’t in the control room I was walking an average of 18 k a day. Surprising how that impacts your fitness. It’s not going to be pretty though.

After seeing you do this weekend:

• Wed micro sprint
    • Thurs old 69er
    • Fri 3 loops of impossibleman
    • Sat 3 yards of Ode
    • Sat beer mile

Plus driving, moving shit, cleaning up, setting up, clearing logs and stumps, and generally tolerating sharing a cabin with me ... I think you're going to be fine in your IM.

Brew_TrikjrunninwchevronMartinM_WareStruangCraig_DTad_MMattJames Lange
    #KOAT
  • Options

@Aaron Webstey on reflection I think this may be my last IM event. I’m motivated to give the Impossibleman a serious go next year after watching those guys suffer. That is a whole new level of nasty. I got through this week with a little help from my friends. I need to can a bit of that and bring it to Penticton.

Aaron WebsteyBrew_TriTad_MJames LangeM_Ware
    Canadian Division
  • Options
    StruangStruang Member, POTM

This actual exercising shit is hard! I've done 4 bike rides and 3 runs, almost like I've an event coming up.

kjrunninAaron WebsteywchevronBrew_TriCraig_DJames Lange
  • Options
    Brew_TriBrew_Tri Member, Rooster Endurance Member

40 days out....agree with how much this sucks. The pool is closed this week so I can't go sunning and hit on the greatest generation. Also means I have to do real workouts like biking and running. Aaaaaaannnnnddd signed up for my first 50k. Thanks @Tad_M for opening up the addiction wound again. I expect it to be nowhere near as fun as ode but possibly better than an IM event.

Aaron WebsteywchevronCraig_DTad_MMattJames LangeM_Ware
    Yay Sports! :#
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member

@Brew_Tri Don't worry dude! I saw you throw down that beer mile. You're in peak shape. Just taper into race day!

Craig_DStruangAaron WebsteyTad_MBrew_Tri

• Options

@Craig_D said:
    @Aaron Webstey on reflection I think this may be my last IM event. I’m motivated to give the Impossibleman a serious go next year after watching those guys suffer. That is a whole new level of nasty. I got through this week with a little help from my friends. I need to can a bit of that and bring it to Penticton.

@Craig_D when are you arriving in Penticton?

A couple of my girlfriends drunk dialed me last night, and all I could make out was wine + proposal + Ironman weekend. So of course I am going.

The sober phone call this morning clarified that they aren't planning to get drunk and propose to me at the finish line, but I'm headed up nonetheless. Let me know how I can help you get through IMC!

Aaron WebsteyCraig_DStruang

• Options

@kjrunnin My plan is to be there Friday afternoon ish for check in. It’s a 10 hour drive from here so hard to nail down a time right now. I appreciate the offer. I think I have everything covered with the exception of an exceptionally loud / moderately drunk cheering section. I managed to finally catch COVID licking handrails in Toronto so the bar of expectation is infinitely lower at this point. Be forewarned, you ladies are at risk of drinking most of the wine in the valley before I finish. Dr. Tad may prescribe shots of Fireball and a couple of beer and hot dog hand ups just to make this more interesting for you.

I’ll send you my number. Let’s meet up at some point. If your friends are desperate for a finish line proposal we can figure some plan out.

Brew_TriTad_MM_WareJames LangeAaron Webstey
    Canadian Division
  • Options

You're in luck! Exceptionally loud and moderately drunk is in my wheelhouse!

Craig_DStruangMartinM_WareAaron Webstey

• Options

We're all pullin' for you @Craig_D ! My prescription is as follows:
    1. @kjrunnin and friends must treat the wine supply as infinite - never mind the complex mathematical proof, just trust me, it works.
    2. Your time doesn't matter - you're ready - be safe and remember the goal:...
    3. Your goal: To put on the Pit Bull suit and party with @kjrunnin and her friends - that is the only goal
    4. @kjrunnin: Nutrition: I recommend a ham and cheese sandwich for Craig. That should fit nicely in his romphim tri suit - and Fireball after the race (please administer with the Fireball song)

Craig_DStruangM_WareJames LangeAaron Webstey
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
  • Options

So this is going well....

wchevronMartinCraig_DAaron Webstey
  • Options
    edited August 2022

Ok so someone obviously saw how unprepaired I was and thought they could do one better!
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-62482802

Craig_DAaron Webstey
  • Options

This exercising daily thing is hard work, I've heard a rumour it makes completing an endurance event easier!

Brew_TriCraig_Dslickfins_RyanAaron Webstey
  • Options

After my last IM performance, I wouldn't say that statement is exactly true.

kjrunninStruangAaron Webstey
  • Options

Made it 75 miles on the bike today. Also threw up the scotch and domino's pizza I had before the ride. I don't think my body wanted it anyway...

kjrunninwchevronTad_MJames LangeMartinCraig_Dslickfins_RyanAaron Webstey
  • Options

Found new motivation!

• Options
    edited August 2022

1604 tomorrow for those interested in watching this gong show unfold. Ham and cheese shammy is packed. Met up with @kjrunnin as well. She’s much taller than I imagined.

kjrunninBrew_TriwchevronStruangAaron Webstey
    Canadian Division
  • Options
    edited August 2022

Yes, but the high quality ziplock with stout zipper is key to the ham and cheese shammy!
    And yeaaahh, yippeeee to @kjrunnin !

Aaron Webstey
  • Options

Be careful wiping with that wristband on your right hand....

Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    edited August 2022

Craig coming in with 2 min to spare....for sure got his money's worth today.

wchevronCraig_DStruangMartinM_Ware
  • Options

Congratulations! That lack of training paid off.

Tad_MCraig_D
  • Options

If only people knew the shape you have to be in to do sub 17 at an Ironman, Right? I think those who haven't done it can't appreciate. Congrats @Craig_D. You were crushing it here in Michigan, so my math tells me I'm in 28:04:18 shape right now.

Craig_DAaron WebsteyBrew_Tri
  • Options

@Brew_Tri , you have big shoes to fill now... This had better be spectacular. I'm ready to have even more fun watching the next IM.
    Good luck bud!

Craig_DAaron WebsteyBrew_Tri
  • Options

@Brew_Tri said:
    Be careful wiping with that wristband on your right hand....

Sounds like the voice of experience here. Something to share?

Aaron WebsteyBrew_Tri
    Canadian Division
  • Options

@Tad_M said:
    If only people knew the shape you have to be in to do sub 17 at an Ironman, Right? I think those who haven't done it can't appreciate. Congrats @Craig_D. You were crushing it here in Michigan, so my math tells me I'm in 28:04:18 shape right now.

Lol. Exactly. Not gonna bore you with the details of the day in Slowtwitch fashion other than to say I figure I lost about 45 minutes due to 2 flats and multiple chain drops. Made it more fun I think in the end because I was on the cutoff wire constantly. I said the goal was 16:59. At 16:57 I have achieved peak mediocrity. So happy you were here to witness.

StruangAaron WebsteyBrew_Tri
    Canadian Division
  • Options

@Tad_M said:
    @Brew_Tri , you have big shoes to fill now... This had better be spectacular. I'm ready to have even more fun watching the next IM.
    Good luck bud!

@Brew_Tri Fireball in your special needs bag buddy. I'm sure not having that was my primary nutritional error. It's the kick in the pants you need in the absence of @kjrunnin 's all business attitude. Give us your number to watch for too. Good luck out there buddy!!!

Aaron Webstey
    Canadian Division

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch