frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

February Challenge

Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers

Since I exercised for over 31 hours in January and still gained 1lb, this month's challenge is a "no food after dinner" challenge for me. Maybe for you it's "no food after my post-evening-workout snack", but I pretty much never have any reason to be eating past suppertime (as we call it here in the Maritimes). I'm including alcohol as well - dry February starts today - but that's not for everyone.

I'm going to try to keep up the 1hr/day of exercise if possible, but my focus is on controlling the evening food intake. For some of you this probably isn't a challenge at all, but I'm a fat booze-fueled glutton.

Who's with me!?

#KOAT

Comments

• Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter

February is a shit month. The day's are getting longer but still aren't long enough. You get sunshine and think winter may soon be over - and then it snows. If I was trying to think of a way to make it worse, I would make it dry February.... yeah, you're on your own there!!

I had 60h and lost 3 lbs. Which is nowhere near enough to make a dent in the pandemic pounds I have acquired. I have tremendous faith in my ability to eat vast quantities of food before and during dinner so I am going to need a different approach. I'll join you in the spirit of this with a challenge to stay within calorie limits for 80% of the days in the month (and be disciplined enough to keep logging even when I know I'm going over).

Aaron WebsteyStruang

• Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM

I'll give it a shot but will modify it a bit. I can have an after dinner snack but needs to be a fruit.

Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member

I'll try to cut out snacks after dinner, but I do almost all of my running after dinner so sometimes I come home hungry. I'm going with logging my food for the whole month and I'll try to the calorie limit 80% of the time like @kjrunnin too. Also: 28 hours of running, the first digit of my weight will be a 1, and a 32km long run.

Aaron WebsteyStruang

• Options

@wchevron said:
    I'll give it a shot but will modify it a bit. I can have an after dinner snack but needs to be a fruit.

MartinwchevronAaron WebsteyStruang

• Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM

I’m in, I just want to do better than February. I can’t commit to no evening eating , so I’ll start small and commit to no after dinner gigantic ice cream sandwiches

Aaron Webstey
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member

For no particular reason I'm going to try a Dryuary. Those who know me might remember 2018, when I lasted 60 hours and 47 minutes before failing. Figure I can at least double that in 2022.

kjrunninJames LangeAaron WebsteyTad_M
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers

I like the 80% challenge! And @James Lange , I'm with you on dipping down into the 100s. I'm gonna need to drop a solid 6lb to make it happen :(

#KOAT
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM

@James Lange said:
    the first digit of my weight will be a 1

Don't you northern Americans use KG?

My 7 year old has the same goal to get his weight into the 100's. He said he was going to eat a giant carton of goldfish because it weighs 2 lbs and he was hovering at 98.

Aaron WebsteykjrunninMatt
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM

@Tad_M said:
    I’m in, I just want to do better than February. I can’t commit to no evening eating , so I’ll start small and commit to no after dinner gigantic ice cream sandwiches

Trader Joe's has some excellent mini ice cream sandwiches. You can eat 6 and still meet that committment.

Aaron WebsteykjrunninJames LangeTad_MwchevronCraig_D
  • Options

@KHilgendorf said:

@James Lange said:

My 7 year old has the same goal to get his weight into the 100's. He said he was going to eat a giant carton of goldfish because it weighs 2 lbs and he was hovering at 98.

For some reason many of us still use lbs even though we use metric for everything else. :grey_question:

#KOAT
  • Options

@KHilgendorf said:

@James Lange said:

Imperial for height, weight, and cooking temperatures, metric for pretty much everything else.

kjrunninAaron Webstey

• Options

@Matt that is hilariously accurate

Matt
    #KOAT
  • Options

This is a true work of art. Possibly a Rooster T-shirt

Aaron Webstey
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
  • Options

@Matt I think the only thing that isn't accurate for me in that chart is that I would need another branch under "Is it a pool's temperature" to split into lane pools (C) and hot tubs (F).

Aaron WebsteyMattM_WareCraig_DStruangTad_M

• Options
    Craig_DCraig_D Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM

WTF is going on with the ads on this page? I know its been a while but this is a little much

kjrunninMartinAaron Webstey
    Canadian Division
  • Options

@Craig_D I sure hope I can do those moves when I'm a senior, because I don't think I could do them today without hurting myself.

kjrunninAaron WebsteyTad_MCraig_D

• Options

I'm failing hard. Still keeping up a pretty good level of exercise though!

#KOAT
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM

I'm failing also but definitely improved over last month. Exercise is still going strong.

Aaron Webstey
  • Options

I’m doing ok with the Feb challenge. I’m not skinny yet though so I’m going to need to speak with a manager.

(I can’t believe I did that because I hate that meme sooo much. Like 2020 wasn’t bad enough, my name became a slur.)

Aaron Webstey

• Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
  • Options

@kjrunnin said:
    I’m doing ok with the Feb challenge. I’m not skinny yet though so I’m going to need to speak with a manager.

(I can’t believe I did that because I hate that meme sooo much. Like 2020 wasn’t bad enough, my name became a slur.)

I hate that slur. I've known a lot of Karens over the years and they were all lovely!

James LangeTad_MCraig_D
    #KOAT
  • Options

I was doing great (8hrs in 9 days), but on Tuesday I tweaked a muscle in my calf 14km into a run and had to run/walk 4km home. I've been pounding it with the percussion massager and it's feeling better, but it's always hard to know whether to start back even if it's still a little tender, or sacrifice a whole week till it's 100%.

Aaron Webstey

• Options
    StruangStruang Member, POTM

Is there a booby prize for my 0hrs in 11 days?

Tomorrow I've got to get organised!

Aaron WebsteyTad_MCraig_D
  • Options

If we are still counting hours instead of calories… 15 & change. But I strained my calf yesterday in solidarity with @James Lange so I expect my hours to go down and calories up as It heals and I drown my sorrows in wine.

I had 7 calf tears in an 18 month period a few years back and I thought I’d turned a corner but it turns out, it was just that sitting on the couch lessens your chance of sports related injury!

Aaron WebsteyMattJames Lange

• Options

@James Lange said:
    I was doing great (8hrs in 9 days), but on Tuesday I tweaked a muscle in my calf 14km into a run and had to run/walk 4km home. I've been pounding it with the percussion massager and it's feeling better, but it's always hard to know whether to start back even if it's still a little tender, or sacrifice a whole week till it's 100%.

Try the leg too...

kjrunninAaron WebsteywchevronMartinMattKHilgendorfCraig_D
  • Options

@Tad_M I knew I was doing something wrong.

Tad_MAaron Webstey

• Options

When you do the color commentary for my February challenge performance, please use the word "amplitude" about 12 times per minute. Geeze, I had to turn the sound off to watch the olympics tonight.

Aaron WebsteyCraig_D
  • Options

@kjrunnin How is your calf doing? I finally got my right calf feeling good, got running again after 6 days off, then my wife decided that the heaviest piece of furniture in the world needed to be in our basement. Tweaked my left calf doing that. It feels ok now but I'm waiting for it to warm up before I run again. Worried about running at -30C when I'm already struggling with light muscles.

Matt

• Options

@James Lange I have been babying it. Backing off effort/time on the bike if it gives me the slightest bit of twinge. Wearing compression calf sleeves on the bike. No running except in the pool (kill me). It actually feels OK, though I have noticed it gets achey as the muscle fatigues and big watts (for me) at high RPM are OK but big watts at low RPM make it cranky. I am supposed to be doing a Ventoux challenge on Zwift with my cycling club this weekend - I hope I don't undo the recovery of the last 2 weeks. A wiser woman would probably not attempt it.

I don't think I'd run at -30 even if I was in top shape! That's nutty. Back in the era of many calf strains, one of the things my PT had me doing to improve my calf resilience was eccentric heel drops. Now that I am on this train again, I think I will add them back to my routine. Sounds like you might benefit as well.

...and I bet that piece of furniture looks excellent in the basement. Your wife was right.

James LangeMatt

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch