frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Roost in 2022

Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers

Happy new year (again) everyone!

This place has quieted down considerably over the past year, despite COVID driving many other online platforms to new highs in engagement. While I do not recommend getting high before your engagement, I do wonder if there is still any interest in keeping the lights on around here.

Last year between Google ads and Patreon, I made just enough to pay for hosting (it was literally plus or minus $10 or so, I have only roughly added the numbers in my head and "roughly" also describes how my head is feeling right now). I am good with breaking even if we can keep it up, and if anyone is still interested in chatting here :)

One thing I have considered is ditching the dumb Google ads and trying to go Patreon-only. Or maybe ditching the ads for patrons and leaving em for others.

So I ask you, our community of fellow spandex-wearing endurance weirdos: is there anything that would make you want to come back and chat? I like it here because I hate Facebook and I hate push notifications for leisure activities. Have we all just stopped hanging out online so much? Or is there some feature or activity you'd like to see?

There are software updates that should be done, and a bit of work to re-enable logging in with your FB credentials - but I'm happy to keep on truckin if anyone is still out there!

Hope you're all having a great day, and here's to a less shitty 2022!

#KOAT

Comments

• Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter

I was a spotty contributor here, mostly because it's so quiet. I'd drop by and see no chatter so leave and after a few drop-ins with no chatter, the time between dropping in would get longer and longer. I don't know what the answer is... I bring no solutions, sorry.

Will certainly drink to your less shitty 2022 wishes!

Aaron Webstey

• Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM

Read this post earlier today and was deciding how to reply. I think @kjrunnin summed up my thoughts exactly. Would be interested to see what others post. I'd like to keep the site going, there are good people here and when it was active, it was fun and light-hearted. Note sure how to get back to that. I was never a big discussion starter, was more of a commenter on others' posts. @AaronWebstey I'm assuming you can pull up who were the biggest post creators. Maybe PM them and see what's up with them or why they stopped?

I was baking for Christmas last week and was wearing my apron I got from Secret Santa. Made me think of the Secret Santa's we did for a few years. They were fun. My wife thought it was great that a bunch of random people on a triathlon forum would exchange Christmas gifts.

M_WareAaron Webstey
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM

I want this to continue. I want all the Roosters to visit Michigan each year for fun. I am making a real triathlon for this year in addition to our informal racing. Probably a gravel event with the triathlon. It's the day before the big Ode to Laz race, so you won't miss the fun of that.
    PLEASE, PLEASE don't let the Roost and the Roosters die. All the other teams out there are nice, but a dime a dozen. This one has the magic.
    Let's get this going. I realize that forums seem "old fashioned", but that's part of the Rooster spirit, and we know that it's OUR place, not something that's ultimately controlled by Mark Z, or Elon or whoever the F.
    We need this along with those other outlets. Actions are the only thing that will mean anything.
    I promise to:
    1. Visit more often, like in the past.
    2. Up my pledge on Patreon - nothing's free and Webstey, you have gone beyond the call for us all.
    3. Start posting more stuff here.
    4. Not throw away my Cousin Eddie, Faris Al Sultain, & Prefontaine costumes based on the unshakable faith that a bunch of you dingbats will take the risk that Mel, Craig, and Derek did in year 1 and visit the woods of Michigan to meet someone who very well may be a sociopathic fake triathlete (you three are gods - and Paul, you too)
    5. Tell more friends to become Roosters, and honestly tell them that their involvement is critical to the survival of grass roots participation in sports for honorable reasons.
    6. Complete Webstey's challenge for January and beyond!

M_WarewchevronAaron Webstey
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers

I'd like to make it interesting and fun again if possible! My ideal forum would be somewhere that I feel like spending 15-30 mins a day catching up and making the occasional post. I don't have a real plan, but if some of us start chatting again and it catches on, great!

#KOAT
  • Options

I think there has been more chatting today than the last 6 months

M_WarekjrunninAaron WebsteyMartin
  • Options

I'm not on any social media but are there conversations/content being added/discussed on other TriRoost social media platforms. I see up top there are links to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest. Are posts/discussions on those sites self-contained to those medias or are they tied back into here? Not being on them, don't really know how they work. Are there interactions going on there that are taking away from here? Maybe people like the Instagram post more so post there and not here?

• Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter

Not sure about Pinterest & Twitter but the Instagram had no activity in 2021. Facebook group gets some chatter but it's pretty quiet as well. I would say (for the most part), the interactions there are self-contained and not cross-posted here.

eg. Zach posted this on Jan 1:

"January challenge, most days with a 30 minute workout or more. Since this is posted late on the 1st. The most points/days you can get is 30. Good luck! Bonus- 5 points to the person that posts a picture from their workout and gets the most likes."

wchevronM_WareAaron Webstey

• Options
    edited January 2022

Things are a bit fractured right now. Instagram and Pinterest haven't been active for a while, correct - I don't think there's really any need for either of those accounts any more, they were an attempt to drive traffic here (although @M_Ware did a great job on the Pinterest board which was cool in its own right :) ). The Twitter link is just a link to my own dumb account and probably also pointless.

I was interested in trying to get some conversion back up and running on here, and Zach and Tad are interested in getting some form of the Rooster Endurance team back up and running - but these don't have to coincide. The forum has been called "just another place I have to check", and maybe Facebook would serve a team better than here. I for one just prefer the format and conversations here as I don't enjoy Facebook.

#KOAT
  • Options

I agree that this is different than facebook. this feels more private (with Admiral Webstey at the helm I feel safe). I hope this stays alongside the FB. My 2 cents.

M_WareAaron WebsteyMartin
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member

Maybe we should re-up the 'hot triathletes' thread to get some traffic.

(I would not post something like this on Facebook.)

Aaron Webstey
  • Options

Calling @Matt , Calling @Matt Code red, there are rogue bikes against things pictures all over the place.
    Help @Matt

Aaron WebsteyStruangMartinMatt
  • Options
    StruangStruang Member, POTM

Dont think I've seen this place so busy in months!

Nice to have people back

Aaron WebsteyM_WareTad_M
  • Options

Well, you make 6 so...

Aaron WebsteyTad_M
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member

I have always loved this group of people and this forum (and its predecessors). It is hard when there isn't too much action here, but I am guilty of leaving short comments and not really fostering conversation, and I also don't start too many threads. I'll do better in 2022 on here and I will be at Ode to Laz in July so I'm looking forward to meeting a bunch of Roosters in person!

Aaron WebsteyM_WareTad_M

• Options

Aaron WebsteyJames LangeStruangCraig_D
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member

"We're on a mission from Tad."

Aaron WebsteywchevronJames LangeTad_MM_WareCraig_D
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member

Ok, so my personal computer died in 2019 and was only using my work laptop ever since, and casually logging in with my phone. But something messed up and I couldnt log in any more.

But I'm back. Engaged! New house! And living maybe 5 mins closer to @Martin too.

Still running lots. Got a few BAAW things to catch up on, I guess.

Aaron WebsteywchevronTad_MkjrunninM_WareKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options

@James Lange said:
    I have always loved this group of people and this forum (and its predecessors). It is hard when there isn't too much action here, but I am guilty of leaving short comments and not really fostering conversation, and I also don't start too many threads. I'll do better in 2022 on here and I will be at Ode to Laz in July so I'm looking forward to meeting a bunch of Roosters in person!

C'mon other Roosters, Join @James Lange !!! plan on showing as early as July 20th. We're about to announce and make the Friday "Impossibleman" triathlon official and legit. Roosters race all races free except the Ode and Impossibleman, where you only pay for the direct insurance/admin and swag cost. AND you don't have to run yourself into the ground to enjoy the official Ode to Laz. @P_Cottrell will tell you, it's more fun to run a lap or few then enjoy the free food and beer.

James LangeM_WareAaron Webstey
  • Options

@Martin said:
    "We're on a mission from Tad."

Love it Martin - hope to meet you live.

Aaron Webstey
  • Options

Jesus, 15 notifications when I logged in this morning - haven't seen that since before I locked down the spam accounts!

KenElPescadoPelado
    #KOAT
  • Options

@Aaron Webstey said:
    Jesus, 15 notifications when I logged in this morning - haven't seen that since before I locked down the spam accounts!

Woohooo!, you're going to need two of these

Aaron Websteywchevron
  • Options

Actually, with the renewed Patreon pledge from one user, a very generous one time donation from another (I still haven't personally thanked you two but I will), and a strangely-only-slight uptick in AdSense revenue (does anybody know how that fucking works? I sure don't), we may actually end up a couple hundy ahead this year! Any extra as of renewal in November will be given to any attending roost members to buy refreshments at the sworry trials/ode to Laz.

wchevronJames LangeTad_M
    #KOAT
  • Options
    P_CottrellP_Cottrell Member, Rooster Endurance Member

I was thinking that I could start showing some yet unpublished pictures from the sworry trials of yesteryear. Tad doesn’t even have some of these pictures, mainly because most are of Tad doing things he never expected to be recorded. So if we start getting people to join us this summer, I will have great pleasure in posting pictures.

wchevronM_WareTad_MAaron WebsteyJames Lange
  • Options

@P_Cottrell said:
    I was thinking that I could start showing some yet unpublished pictures from the sworry trials of yesteryear. Tad doesn’t even have some of these pictures, mainly because most are of Tad doing things he never expected to be recorded. So if we start getting people to join us this summer, I will have great pleasure in posting pictures.

Well played Maurer, well played.

• Options
    Craig_DCraig_D Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM

@Aaron Webstey where is said link to the patreon? To echo what everyone else has said I'd like this place to hang around.

Canadian Division
  • Options

@Craig_D said:
    @Aaron Webstey where is said link to the patreon? To echo what everyone else has said I'd like this place to hang around.

OMG, I am the worst business person of all time

https://www.patreon.com/TriRoost

Craig_DwchevronTad_MStruang
    #KOAT

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch