frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

January Challenge

Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers

Happy new year everyone!

I have decided to try to exercise for one hour a day in January. Anyone want to join me, and/or share your own goals for this month?

#KOAT

Comments

• Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter

If it's an average, I'm in.

Also doing a challenge with my bike club: 30/30 in January, 30 minutes for 30 days (Jan 2-31, assumes everyone is hung over today). I did it last year as well and as 2021 luck would have it, my trainer died with about a week to go which meant I had to ride outside in January in order to make it. Outrageous.

M_WareAaron WebsteyMartinStruang

• Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM

I'm in @AaronWebstey , thanks bud. I have somehow adopted several dad bods without knowing. Time to help them leave this roost!

M_WareAaron Webstey
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM

I'm in. Although I'll do a 1 hr average/day. Did 1.5 hr bike today.
    Was re-building my deck this fall for a hot tub we have coming in so the training was on the back burner for a bit. DId a 10 mile trail run Thanksgiving morning. Figured I was in good enough shape. FIrst couple of miles was a bit out of breath, figured I'd warm up by mile 3 or so and would be back in my groove. My groove never showed up. Totally gassed on the 2nd lap. Felt like I had run a marathon.

M_WareTad_MAaron Webstey
  • Options

@wchevron said:
    I'm in. Although I'll do a 1 hr average/day. Did 1.5 hr bike today.
    Was re-building my deck this fall for a hot tub we have coming in so the training was on the back burner for a bit. DId a 10 mile trail run Thanksgiving morning. Figured I was in good enough shape. FIrst couple of miles was a bit out of breath, figured I'd warm up by mile 3 or so and would be back in my groove. My groove never showed up. Totally gassed on the 2nd lap. Felt like I had run a marathon.

But you did it. Here's to the deck-building club! Come to Michigan @wchevron , let's make the Roosters what they can be.

M_WareAaron Webstey
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers

Yep, I'm shooting for 31 hours in 31 days - there's no way I'll be able to get an hour in every single day. But I will have days where I can get ahead a little.

Great to see people back here! I miss you all.

wchevron
    #KOAT
  • Options

Day 1, in the bag. Bodyweight workout of about 8 minutes to add to my morning run. It triggered my Garmin to tell me I need 12 hours rest from that 8 minutes. Apparently, I'm no longer athletic...

wchevronkjrunninAaron Webstey
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member

I'm in. Super bummed that I won't be able to earn most of it in the pool due to lockdown, though.

M_WareAaron Webstey
  • Options

We've been back in the pool for almost 16 months.

Aaron Webstey
  • Options

@wchevron said:
    We've been back in the pool for almost 16 months.

We were, too. Then they shut down team sports, but there now appear to be lap swims so I guess I can jump back in.

Aaron Webstey
  • Options

We've been good so far. Go early morning at a local high school. Masters practice. First couple of months we had to wear masks in and out. Only 2 people in a lane. One at the wall and 1-6 ft away. Although they weren't that strict. Once the mask policy went away it's been back to normal. We started up a new indoor mask policy in our state but if under 150 people and you are vaccinated, it's up to the owner, so we haven't had to wear them. We leave before school starts so don't have to worry about a teacher complaining we don't have masks on. I'm pretty sure everyone in masters is vaccinated.
    We have the same 6-12 people show up every week. It's nice because you have max 2 people in a lane, sometimes get a lane to yourself.

Aaron Webstey
  • Options

Our pools got closed down in December, just as I was warming up to my new mini-masters-ish group (parents of my kids' swim group). Really hoping to be able to get back in soon! I think lanes are open but no groups yet.

#KOAT
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM

My new GF (well, it's been over a year now) bought a peloton to keep me from riding the trainer at my place, and owns a condo with cardio room and indoor lap pool. I have no excuses, and still am at 2/365 workouts for the year...I figure I'll continue being fat and lazy, then kick it into 3-a-days starting in September

Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member

I'm in! I had a great training block from September through November and then the weather turned and holidays happened so I really need to get moving again. Today is day 1 for me but I'll be gunning for 31 hours.

Aaron WebsteyTad_Mkjrunnin

• Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member

7 runs, 50k so far this month.
    And that's with getting Covid at xmas.

• Options

I'm on track although getting dose 3 yesterday is going to slow me down today. Will need to get a three or four hour x-country ski day in to round up all the 45-50 minute workouts. Fingers crossed for some more snow.

• Options

I'm' still on track, I actually think I'm up an hour.

• Options

Nice work! As I mentioned in the New Year thread, I'm down about 2.5 hours but still hopeful that I can make it up. Now I'm in talks with an old swim team buddy (Ryan, who @Martin will remember) and some of my local exercise addicts about doing a 45km trail loop this summer! What is wrong with me

kjrunnin
    #KOAT
  • Options

Calling all precincts: Be on the lookout for a person matching this photo robbing donut shops. The perpetrator appears unstable and should be treated as unarmed but dangerous. They claim to be a triathlete hungry after workouts - but all witnesses agree that the person more resembles a truck driver.

wchevronAaron WebsteyM_WareMartinCraig_D
  • Options

I'm not on track and it doesn't look good, but I'm back running now and chipping away at the 10lbs I gained in December.

Aaron WebsteyMartin

• Options

@James Lange said:
    I'm not on track and it doesn't look good, but I'm back running now and chipping away at the 10lbs I gained in December.

We took the batteries out of the scale when we returned home from the in-laws. Will probably replace them in June.

Aaron WebsteyStruangM_Ware
  • Options

I find it annoying how easy it is to put on weight and how hard it is to take if off. It's like life's cruel joke.

kjrunninAaron WebsteyJames Lange
  • Options
    edited January 2022

@Aaron Webstey said:
    Nice work! As I mentioned in the New Year thread, I'm down about 2.5 hours but still hopeful that I can make it up. Now I'm in talks with an old swim team buddy (Ryan, who @Martin will remember) and some of my local exercise addicts about doing a 45km trail loop this summer! What is wrong with me

Ooooh. send details. I was looking at a 42k trail marathon, and Jenne and I have had our eye on a Dobson Trail through jog/hike. And I still think a Cape Chignecto Coastal Trail run would be worth exploring... Might be the motivation I need to start running more than 5k again. Although not sure I could keep up with a former ITU pro and a former 4th place overall at IM Canada...

Aaron Webstey
  • Options

@Martin said:

@Aaron Webstey said:

Ooooh. send details. I was looking at a 42k trail marathon, and Jenne and I have had our eye on a Dobson Trail through jog/hike. And I still think a Cape Chignecto Coastal Trail run would be worth exploring... Might be the motivation I need to start running more than 5k again. Although not sure I could keep up with a former ITU pro and a former 4th place overall at IM Canada...

Hilarious - Cape Chignecto is the exact trail that Ryan wants to run! Also you may remember Geoff Bennett from the local scene, he's one of the locals who is interested. Ryan has been talking about a mid-August timeframe, although I'm going to have to get a lot fitter and a lot better at life in general if I'm going to fit that in so close to my wife's bday.

Oh, and we were pretty much the same speed until I spent 5 years as a "pro". And I'm 40lbs fatter than I was then, so you'll probably be waiting for me!

#KOAT
  • Options

That's the nice thing about being an average athlete. My times haven't gotten much slower than 20 years ago when I was in my "prime".

Aaron WebsteyMartinMattTad_M
  • Options

Done!

StruangMattAaron WebsteywchevronJames LangeMartinTad_M

• Options
    StruangStruang Member, POTM

Well if @kjrunnin can do it in half the month there is hope for me yet!

kjrunninAaron WebsteyTad_M
  • Options

Holy shit, @kjrunnin wins and it's only the 17th!! I'm about 1:40 behind and hoping to catch up before the end of the month :#

#KOAT
  • Options

Geez, I thought I was doing well being 2 hrs over so far.

Aaron Webstey
  • Options

@kjrunnin Strength training!? I thought you were training for an Ironman!

MartinAaron Websteykjrunnin

• Options

@James Lange said:
    @kjrunnin Strength training!? I thought you were training for an Ironman!

In the same way that old vehicles need more maintenance than new ones... well, here's to life after 50.

5 years ago, I'd have been telling my personal trainer that I wanted to improve the shape of my ass and get more definition in my arms, now we focus on "being a resilient athlete". Super depressing.

wchevronAaron WebsteyStruang

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch