frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Racist drama in my small town

GasBombGasBomb Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
edited December 2018 in Main
This has been an ongoing issue for the last year or so at my kids high school. The prior principal was forced to resign because of his racist attitude. We also made national news last year because of racist threats made towards Depauw University students. Now we are on Letsrun because of this bullshit. Click here for link. I also pass at least a half dozen houses with rebel flags on my way to work. I thought I lived north of the Mason/Dixon line. WTF?

Clay Richard Gasway
King of all Mediocrity
Granpa ChookM_WareAaron WebsteySdogJohns622Tad_MJennifer PostToefuzzrangamelgregkyournotunique

Comments

• Options
    Mark_after_DarkMark_after_Dark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, POTM
    I live 2 hours from Canada and the neighbors have rebel flags.
    GasBombAaron WebsteySdogTad_Myournotunique
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    For whatever reason some Canadians fly the confederate flag too.
    Aaron WebsteyGasBombSdogTad_MJennifer PostMattyournotunique

• Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    I have the same issue at my local high school that is about 97% liberal. One kid used airdrop to distribute neo-Nazi propaganda during a school assembly. You could almost respect the ingenuity, if it weren't for the message.
    Aaron WebsteyGasBombSdogTad_Myournotunique
  • Options
    Robert RankinRobert Rankin Member
    edited December 2018
    In the south, people of all races fly the confederate flag. I’ve also found its pretty easy to find the true racists down here. There is no behind the back racism like that coach got. The racists down here are pretty loud and proud about it. That said, people are much more welcoming than some think in the south. I live in Hicktown USA too

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM

In the south, people of all races fly the confederate flag.

Are you in the South or North RR? I grew up in Virginia, and even went to UVa and proudly do not fly the rebel flag. Now I'm in Michigan, and there is a bit of the rebel flag to be seen. Probably due to Kid Rock..... But I like Kid Rock. It's very strange to see it around here.
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    Is there a reason we're glorifying this symbol as a "rebel" flag?
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    Tad_M said:

In the south, people of all races fly the confederate flag.

Are you in the South or North RR?
    I'm in Florida, right on the Georgia border, but my entire family is from Michigan. I don't personally have one. Just saying you could see one on a parked vehicle down here, and you'd have a hard time stereotyping the driver. In Michigan when I've seen one, it was very easy to guess the type of individual that owned it.

M_WareGasBombTad_M

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Even in very liberal Seattle, all you have to do is leave the city and head out 30 mins to the countryside to see rebel flags. Or just drive by the Boeing factory employee parking lot in Everett. Disgusting assholes.
    GasBomb
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member

Is there a reason we're glorifying this symbol as a "rebel" flag?

This is the only rebel flag I recognize.

GasBombNHetroRobert RankinJennifer Postsimonsen77Tad_MJasonMattyournotunique
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    NHetroNHetro Member, Rooster Endurance Member

Even in very liberal Seattle, all you have to do is leave the city and head out 30 mins to the countryside to see rebel flags. Or just drive by the Boeing factory employee parking lot in Everett. Disgusting assholes.

On the east side of the state, I see more homophobic NRA Republicans than pure racists despite the large migrant Hispanic population working the farms.

Theres hope though. Have you all watched Martha and Snoops cooking show?
    KenElPescadoPeladoslickfins_Ryan
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    #KOAT
  • Options
    bbculpbbculp Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    @KHilgendorf is your local high school OPRF or has that happened at multiple high schools?
  • Options
    @bbculp yep.
  • Options
    @KHilgendorf I grew up in Oak Park (went to Fenwick though). I don't think that TV show is helping things.
  • Options
    Didn't know there was a show about it. My kids are 4 and 2, so I have a bit of time before they're at OPRF.
  • Options
    @KHilgendorf It's called "America to Me" on Starz. It follows a bunch of black and white OPRF students dealing with race relations. Doesn't make OPRF look good.

Fenwick will only cost $60,000/year by the time your kids are in high school, so there's always that option.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    @bbculp that sounds like a steal compared to sending then to college in my legacy. I predict half a mil for the 4 years by then. I'm certainly not paying 3.8% property tax to turn around and send my kids to private. Also, they're about as white as one can be while still having melanin.
    GasBomb
  • Options
    slickfins_Ryanslickfins_Ryan Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    NHetro said:

On the east side of the state, I see more homophobic NRA Republicans than pure racists despite the large migrant Hispanic population working the farms.

Theres hope though. Have you all watched Martha and Snoops cooking show?
    I used to work for Martha back in the day and one day at the offices before the show came out, I was in the restroom and Snoop Dog walked in. I wasn’t quite sure if I’d imagined it or not until another coworker said he was in the office for a meeting ???? Show is pretty funny.
    Aaron WebsteyJennifer PostCraig_DKenElPescadoPeladoGasBombMattyournotunique

Kind of wish I was Canadian. Sorry.

• Options
    NHetroNHetro Member, Rooster Endurance Member
  • Options

GasBomb1_Hot_Pretzel
    The Dude at Minimal Multisport Podcast, Blog, and YouTube.
    MY PATREON!
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    The best comment on the LetsRun thread:
    The word "Hoosier" comes from so many people in Indiana asking "Who's your Daddy" and no one knows the answer. So they just shortened it to Hoosier and a shrug.
    gregkTad_MGasBombJennifer PostCraig_DyournotuniqueRobert RankinKenElPescadoPeladorangamel
  • Options
    ^^^ This is true.
    Jennifer Post

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options
    Johns622Johns622 Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Matt said:

The word "Hoosier" comes from so many people in Indiana asking "Who's your Daddy" and no one knows the answer. So they just shortened it to Hoosier and a shrug.

An in Saint Louis, it's a derogatory term for redneck. Coming from Indiana, that was very interesting to me. Calling someone a "f***ing hoosier" is pretty fun.
    GasBomb
  • Options
    yournotuniqueyournotunique Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    My biggest takeaway from that thread? I had forgotten how awful the letsrun website's formatting was.

Also, "rebel flag"? That's really giving them too much credit. Traitors? Sure. Treasonous criminals? Yeah, that, too. Racist garbage trolls? Absolutely.
    Johns622GasBombAaron Websteyidking90
    -I know it's wrong. Blame old AOL character limits. Illadelph |
  • Options
    What has always confused me is that people romanticize the confederate flag. They fucking lost folks. Flying that flag only confirms that you are also a loser.

*sidebar - Rebel Flag is to Confederate Flag as Yankee Flag is to Union Flag. It's not like the war of northern aggression never happened. ;)
    MattKenElPescadoPelado

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options
    @GasBomb Indina may be full of redneck trash, but you're still north or the Mason-Dixon.

Sincerely,
    Your Bankrupt, corrupt neighbor in Illinois
    Johns622GasBomb
  • Options
    idking90idking90 Member, Pro Triathlete
    edited December 2018
    @KHilgendorf people flew the Confederate flag where I grew up in New Jersey. Mom and Dad commuted to Philly or New York, yet here these 17 year olds are driving lifted pickups with giant flags off the back. It was a weird place.

Meanwhile, there’s actually a house near me in Colorado that has a rainbow flag and a Confederate flag out front. While I realize they are separate issues, I struggle to understand the logic. Part of you says that people should be allowed to love and marry whomever they want, but the other part of you says people should be allowed to own other human beings.
    slickfins_RyanGasBomb
  • Options
    Probably the one bright spot to come out of this: I didn't know there was a Martha and Snoops show.
    slickfins_RyanTad_MNHetroJennifer PostGasBombKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    slickfins_Ryanslickfins_Ryan Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Matt said:

BUT... there is a pet store right outside of the Indianapolis airport called “Hoosier Doggy” which I think is the greatest thing ever. Ever.
    M_WareTad_MAaron WebsteyMattGasBombKenElPescadoPelado

Kind of wish I was Canadian. Sorry.

• Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    edited December 2018
    I asked a high schooler here about their see through flag decal covering their entire pickup back window.
    I seriously believe they were shocked when I implied they were embracing and glorifying racism and the south's horrid past of slavery.
    They said it's about supporting the traditional values of the USA and simple country living instead of being a high rolling wasteful city person like the crooks on Wall St.
    My answer twice was: "no, it's about slavery". It made their head spin.

I'm not sure if I'm more horrified by the people who knowingly fly these flags, or by the failure of our education system to teach history properly.
    slickfins_RyanJennifer Postjrielley14061_Hot_PretzelGasBomb
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch