frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Frodo skipping Kona due to injury

2»

Comments

• Options
    A Brownlee isn't going to win Kona. He's just not durable enough after years of probably training and racing through injuries and not actually taking the time to heal. Love the guy, love to see his "punched in the face" face when he's racing I just don't think he's got the legs.
  • Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    @bbculp @fyrehaar You are likely right. I’d still love to see it though. No one comes close to his pain face with snot and slobber. Heh.

Slight shift in topic. Is Jodie sub-tweeting (sub-IGing) Frodeno or is it just a coincidence?
  • Options
    Mark_after_DarkMark_after_Dark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, POTM
    Why do you think that has to do with Frodo?
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I wonder if Brownlee's touble with heat might be somewhat lessened by an Ironman where you can hydrate properly during the race and where the intensity is so much lower than an Olympic?

• Options
    bbculpbbculp Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    He'll be unconscious before the Energy Lab if/when he does Kona.
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    @bbculp I predict that if/when he does Kona he will not be unconscious before the Energy Lab.
    bbculpMartin

• Options
    Dark_mark said:

Just due to chatter about how skinny he looked at WC 70.3 and possible eating disorder and now out of Kona.

But, more likely, not directed at him. More likely the usual talk about many of the athletes so close to Kona.
  • Options
    Mark_after_DarkMark_after_Dark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, POTM
    Well Jodie had a well documented eating disorder, so likely she was referring to that.
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers

Dark_mark said:

Just due to chatter about how skinny he looked at WC 70.3 and possible eating disorder and now out of Kona.

But, more likely, not directed at him. More likely the usual talk about many of the athletes so close to Kona.
    So vague and poorly worded, how the f would anyone know who she's talking about?
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Hah! That’s the point of a good sub-tweet. Vagueness to keep people guessing but the intended target usually knows.

Sometimes sub-tweets are super easy to identify. For example, Merriam-Webster’s Trump sub-tweets. Personally, I prefer the more obscure ones that are like a puzzle.
    Aaron WebsteyM_Ware
  • Options
    Dark_mark said:

Well Jodie had a well documented eating disorder, so likely she was referring to that.

Yep. Realize that. Still remember Cal offering her the downstairs bathroom if she wanted to eat a second cupcake during his segment with her and her response to his “joke.”
    Aaron WebsteyGranpa Chook
  • Options
    RashRash Member
    edited September 2018
    On the Frodo thin thing - hasn't he always been ridiculously lean since he started doing long course? The talk last year was he was too lean after Kona and the talk now is he was too thin, however didn't he win every big race he was in this year and years prior being crazy lean? Maybe not, but I just don't see a stark difference between this year or prior years with respect to his weight - he has always been Froome-esqu skinny for long course from what I can remember.

I have seen the same people bashing Frodo, Holly Lawrence and Sanders for being too lean talk about how "chubby" Gomez is. Seems like everyone is different - some race well lean while others need more bulk. Some folks are still experimenting to find that optimal race weight and that seems completely reasonable when you are looking for that extra .0001%. (let's all agree though - Sanders is a train wreck)

I think Lawrence went through the same experimentation last year and found out she, personally, doesn't race well super lean. I think the response to her experiment was crazy. It took Macca years to figure out he needed to be bigger for long course, but no one was insinuating he had an eating disorder or subsequently declaring that no long course athletes can be lean. The hyperbole and insinuation is nuts.

In conclusion, my Frodo pictures will remain up in my workout room. Not because I want to be him, but because I want to bed him and have his espresso drinking babies. That is all.
    M_WareJennifer PostAaron WebsteypeteMark_after_DarkTad_MMaddie_McKmaggieruJames Langefyrehaar
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    edited September 2018
    “In conclusion, my Frodo pictures will remain up in my workout room. Not because I want to be him, but because I want to bed him and have his espresso drinking babies. That is all.”

@Rash, <3 me too.
    RashAaron WebsteyTad_Mmaggieru
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    Perhaps all the talk about eating disorders and injuries is to cover the true fear. Studies say coffee depletes the body of calcium and calcium deficiencies can lead to stress fractures. What would endurance athletes do without their coffee? (Says the coffee-addicted tech worker.)

Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    I think the thin thing is being blown out of proportion. That doesn't cause a sacral stress fracture. Starky has had 3 sacral stress fractures (including the year he led Kona off the bike) and he weighs 195 pounds.

Frodo should go back to his ITU build just because it was awesome. I'll never forget my wife seeing him in a speedo after a practice swim at HyVee years ago. I would kill to have a woman look at me like that.
    Aaron WebsteyMartinMatt
  • Options
    Granpa ChookGranpa Chook Member
    edited September 2018
    @Jennifer Post Coffee doesn't deplete calcium it just very slightly inhibits absorption. If you are getting the recommended calcium, it's fine.

@Rash Frodo was even leaner in the ITU days and he had some inconsistent performances. When he first won Oceanside I thought he was significantly bigger than his ITU days. I brought up eating disorders in this thread because they are insidious, prevalent and a massive problem for men and women in endurance sport and I hope that everyone can make healthy decisions and have long careers. Not to bash or place blame.

Turns out it's really hard to eat enough good food to fuel 35hrs of training a week, even harder when you are vegan or start to restrict things or are 6'4 or weigh 190 lbs like Starky.
    M_WareAaron Webstey
  • Options
    I think that's what kept either of the Raelerts from ever reaching their full potential. I remember Macca once saying that he went for a 20-mile run with them and when they got home they each chopped up a head of lettuce, doused it in vinegar, and that was their recovery meal. Meanwhile Macca was having a sandwich, cake and beer.

And Starky is not 6'4" although he'll tell you he is. Watching him eat after a big workout is a sight to behold. I just got off the phone with him. He informed me that he plans to burn Kona to the ground after he wins, so maybe up your home insurance if you're a local.
    Granpa ChookAaron WebsteyTad_MKenElPescadoPeladoJames Lange
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    I went to Simon's place after a hard 6k in the pool one morning to do some nerd work for him, with the promise of breakfast while I worked. After serving me and himself each a slice of rye toast with a thin layer of jam and seeing the look on my face, he said "oh! I guess maybe you want two pieces".

He obviously worked far better at 6'0 and 140lbs than I did at 5'10 and 165. So yeah, different strokes.
    M_WarepetebbculpJennifer PostJames LangeMatt
    #KOAT
  • Options
    bbculp said:

Frodo should go back to his ITU build just because it was awesome. I'll never forget my wife seeing him in a speedo after a practice swim at HyVee years ago. I would kill to have a woman look at me like that.

Has your wife seen Vincent Luis in his white speedo?
    peteGranpa ChookbbculpMartinM_WareAaron WebsteyMatt
  • Options
    @bbculp Jan is 6'4ish. That's who I meant. I'm not a moron.

Yes I remember the talk of Michael Raelert dealing with that, although I have learned to trust little from the mouth of Macca. As it is with lots of high performing people, they often achieve in spite of problems.
  • Options
    @Jennifer Post Thankfully she hasn't seen any of the French team in a speedo. At least not that I'm aware of.

One time when we first started dating she came to pick me up at the pool after I'd gone swimming with Crowie. He of course walked out of the locker room with a shirt off and I saw her jaw drop in the car. When I got in she was like, "WHO IS THAT AND IS HE SINGLE?"

I made the mistake of telling Crowie about it a few days later and now every time I see him the first thing he asks is how my wife is doing.
    Tad_MJennifer PostGranpa ChookM_WareAaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoJames LangeMattfyrehaar
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    Seeing 21 new posts to this thread is daunting. @bbculp , your Crowie story makes it all worthwhile!
    Jennifer PostbbculpM_WareAaron Webstey
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    @bbculp You are officially the Michael Wilbon of Triathlon! Your picture just made my post work out wall.
    Jennifer PostbbculpAaron WebsteyMartin
  • Options
    I'm not much of a Wilbon fan (aside from the Chicago connection) but thanks for not calling me the Skip Bayless of tri.
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I just wanted to announce that I will not be going to Kona because I am not very good at triathlons, although I might have once looked ok in a Speedo. No worse than @AaronWebstey anyway.

Carry on.
    Jennifer PostbbculpAaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoHMkrplunkit
  • Options
    @bbculp The similarity is 1 - Chicago and 2-You know everyone. I'd say journalism as well, but not sure Wilbon still operates in that capacity at this point - he's more of a personality now. That's all.
    bbculp
  • Options
    Hey Brad,

You seem to know a lot of pro triathaloners.
    That's really cool.

Love,
    Pev
    MartinbbculpAaron Webstey
  • Options
    It's the coolest thing about me. That's how sad my life is.
    PevashishDaulAaron WebsteyMartinCraig_D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch