frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Tipping Local Bike Mechanic

I just got told by my wife that I'm ridiculous for giving my LBS Mechanic a simple $20 coffee gift card as a thanks for cutting me breaks all year. I am a big believer in tipping on the work they do but they went above and beyond for me this year and in my two years with them have never once charged me full price on anything. Hell, as I write this it should have been far more!

So, to knock my wife back off her high horse please tell me others drop off a little thanks to their LBS mechanic at this time of year. 

Great Uncle, Average Father, Mediocre Triathlete

HeatherLowAaron Websteyyournotuniquedrjocyoldmanchad

Comments

• Options
    Not necessarily at this time of year, but I do tip my mechanic. Usually around the time of my annual drivetrain overhaul. Bring over a six-pack of something local, and then a gift card for the coffee shop around the corner. He gives me price breaks on all his service; least I can do for helping keep me on the road.
    Resident Gear Guru
    Bike Crash Free Since August 4th, 2014
  • Options
    I figured some on here would. For all the no-charge service and discounts I am indebted. 

Great Uncle, Average Father, Mediocre Triathlete

• Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    I never have before, but I will now!
    #KOAT
  • Options
    _MurMan_MurMan Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Yeah, I saved $1000 on my bike purchase this year so they got a decent gift card from me! @rrheisler good call on the sixer though, gonna have to take one over there as a New Years gift. 
    drjocy

Sean Murnane - East Coast Hooligan

• Options
    I follow Vinnie's motto from My Blue Heaven:

"No, I do not believe in tipping.  I believe in OVER tipping."

Buy loyalty.  It stays bought.
    _MurManPreachSwansondrjocyAaron Websteyoldmanchad

"I'm just like everybody else, except Bigger & Bolder & Better in every way"

West.  Rhymes with "Best"
  • Options
    From my insider info on the bike store scene I can tell you these kinds of gestures are very much appreciated...I'm currently enjoying a nice glass of wine from a bottle brought in to my man's store this afternoon from a good customer....these kinds of things don't get forgotten easily.
    drjocy
  • Options
    @GentlemanJerseyDave that was really really nice of you. I tip my bike mechanic everytime he tweaks my bike. In defense of your wife, it was probably her initial reaction. I did the same last week when I showed up with 2 gift baskets for my son's teachers and my ex husband told me that he had already given them a bottle of liquor and $40 cash each. I laughed at the "cash" gift. I thought it was tacky but hey now that I think about it everyone likes cash so I should take my chuckle away and tell him, "that was really nice of you" but I didnt. I'm the ex wife. I should be overly critical, right?.
    HeatherLow

Dr. Jocy - TRS EAST Bitches!

• Options
    I'm definitely in favor of tipping at the LBS when appropriate.  I no longer tip in beer without asking first, though.  Those guys and gals are typically just as weird about what they eat and drink as we are.  Some may be gluten-intolerant, some may hate IPAs, some might be vegan.  You get the idea.  I ask first now.
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    Luckily, the shop I go to is just two guys who do nothing but wrench. I have a very good idea what those two guys like to drink...
    Resident Gear Guru
    Bike Crash Free Since August 4th, 2014
  • Options
    I've always been a beer tipper for my guys. I usually do it in the middle and end of the season.
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    Add me to the list that will periodically bring a sixer into my LBS for the mechanic. Win-win as I usually come in near closing and partake in a few myself
    Aaron Webstey

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options
    @drjocy, your Ex Husband was compensating for his receding hair line and being pissed that his ex wife his well you know.

TRS WEST - NOLA, Miller Lite Drinking Truck Driver

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch