frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Worst race/event mishap?

kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter

I've always had a back of the mind fear of flatting in a race because while I can change my own flat, I'm abysmally slow, and since I switched to tubeless, it's harder and messier. (yeah, yeah phrasing)

But if that's been the worst race mishap I could imagine, I have a new worry to lose sleep over the night before. At least on course support can sort out your flat tire. You know what they can't do? Give you clothes.

~60K into a 153K fondo yesterday, I stopped at any aid station to use the porta-potty and when I went to put my jersey back on, the zipper broke. Insult to injury: I mean seriously and literally, a porta-potty is a shitty place to have a wardrobe malfunction. I spent the remainder of the ride with my jersey held semi-closed in 2 places, courtesy of the zipper tab and a single safety pin from the first aid table (they were only willing to part with one from the tensor bandage kit).

Anyone have any race day mishaps/horror stories to share?

Aaron WebsteyTad_M

Comments

• Options
    Brew_TriBrew_Tri Member, Rooster Endurance Member

Where to begin....besides the average dropping bottles or pedal rubber bands not breaking here were some of my worst ones
    1. Used lucozade in my water bottles at an Ironman bike. Put the bottles in my clothing bag hoping they would stay cooler there than on my bike in the sun. So my bottles sat amongst my dry cycling clothes. Also lucozade is carbonated(I'm a stupid American that didn't know this) the bottles burst. So I got on my bike with clothes covered in effectively Gatorade and had a nice sticky 112.
    2. For a minute IM used sunscreen made by a company called bullfrog. Like many, if not all other athletes I am very white(and privileged). Anyways, I put way too much on before my marathon. Ran about 6 miles, nearly passed out from heat stroke. A volunteer used a cold rag to wipe off the extra sunscreen. In her word, sweat began to pour out of me. Sat at the aid station for 30 min and went and finished my 20 miles.
    3. A half iron bike, flatted on my front tire. Had a tube and co2, no biggie. Hopped back on, hit train tracks going a little fast and blew out my rear. Passer by gave me a tube and co2. The last mile my front went out again and I just walked it into transition. PRed my run though with some fresh legs!
    4. Not me, but a friend did a half in lake Michigan. He didn't own a wetsuit. He doesn't remember getting out of the water but he passed out from hypothermia on his bike about 1 mile in. Sat in an ambulance with hot packs in his pants for a half hour, got out and finished the race. Claims to still have burns on his manly bits.
    5. Took a poop at mile 22 of an IM....missed kona by 3 min.

StruangkjrunninCraig_DJames LangeAaron WebsteyMattMartinTad_M
    Yay Sports! :#
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    edited July 12

1) Freshman in college, Yale v Harvard xc meet (I call your white privilege @Brew_Tri). Stepped on a rock in my spikes just after mile 1 and tore out the spike receptacle so it was poking through the shoe and into my foot. Took the shoe off and ran barefoot for the final 4 miles across mixed golf course and rocky single track. All to finish in 9th on my team, making the effort wholly irrelevant.

Should have just pulled out and shotgunned a couple beers.

2) jogged the first mile of a 5 mile race as a warmup, then proceeded to drop 5:10 miles to the finish, vomiting up little chocolate donuts all along mile 5 (like Belushi said on SNL, they’re the food of champions). Only I finished second by 20 secs.

kjrunninCraig_DMatt
  • Options

These are fantastic.

Aaron Webstey

• Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    edited July 13

3) not a race/event, nor was it me, but racking up for the second pitch of Epinepherine (1600’ climbing route in Vegas) my climbing partner decides the cream and coffee he had for breakfast was creating some urgency. I donated my head scarf to the cause, then thought better, and tore it in half… just in case. Fortunately, we were on a very large ledge and he had some privacy. We didn't want to recreate the "poopocalypse"

• Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member

My worst mishap was having my seat post come loose and having to bike 38km of an Olympic with my knees coming up to my tits like I was on a BMX bike.

StruangAaron WebsteykjrunninMartin

• Options
    Brew_TriBrew_Tri Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited July 14

@James Lange

Jump to about 3:00

James Lange
    Yay Sports! :#
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers

Race-wise, maybe the worst mishap was getting sent out for an extra 11k loop on the bike at the Parlee Beach Tri and thus coming second by a solid 2 minutes to the local age group hero.

Logistically, my worst mishap was (I believe) my best ITU finish (12th maybe?), when my bike got lost by the airline. The race was in Cuba, and the coach of the Cuban team went out of his way to find age groupers to loan me not only a bike and bike shoes, but RUNNING SHOES. And a helmet. Yes I learned to pack smarter after that.

StruangCraig_DkjrunninJames Lange
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Craig_DCraig_D Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM

Coronation Olympic distance in Edmonton. Came down Groat Road at Mach 1. Lady on a fat bike swerves in front of me so I bail wide. Dodged the first cone on the corner but then had to avoid an 8” curb si hit the next pylon which flipped me over the bars in front a big audience. Bike and body were ok except for some awesome road rash so I carried on. Volunteer at the dismount line says “whoa you have a good sunburn”. As I run by he starts chasing me yelling “you’re bleeding”. Lol. Told him I was fine. Finished then sat for an hour in the medical trailer. Apparently they had people looking for me on the course.

GWN half the year I did my first IM and was semi serious about getting ready for it. Came out of the water with a big PR. Front tire exploded 5 km into the bike. Tire just started to pike into the front brake as I stopped. Waited for 45 minutes for the sag wagon to show up with a tire. Turns out some one was throwing tacks on the highway. Watched the old lady on the mountain bike pass me so was dead last. Anyway got going and decided to abandon race strategy and go for it. Race brain forgot to take off bike shorts that were over my TRI shorts. I ran the first lap before I realized wtf I was doing.

Typing this out I realize how dumb I really am.

StruangM_WarekjrunninAaron Webstey
    Canadian Division
  • Options

You guys are the best. I feel way better about my half naked fondo now. :-)

M_WareAaron Webstey

• Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM

@kjrunnin said:

This thread is worthless without pictures. ;)

kjrunninStruangBrew_TriAaron Webstey
  • Options
    StruangStruang Member, POTM

@wchevron said:

@kjrunnin said:

This thread is worthless without pictures. ;)

If ever there was a thread that warranted "Pictures or it didn't happen! " This is it!

Aaron Webstey
  • Options
  • Options

Just had a look at some of the Sworry Trials photos and now my Fondo kit looks like this by comparison.

M_WarewchevronAaron WebsteyCraig_DMatt

• Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    1. After a hot draft-fest of a race at Canadian Nationals in Drummondville in 2001, trying to tackle @Aaron Webstey in the finish chute and nearly wiping both of us out. Or maybe we did both wipe out. I think we were sprinting for 39th place or something equally important. Or maybe he was in a different age group and I was just grumpy. (This was clearly a year or two before his ITU days if I was anywhere near him.)

Oh, then sending the fiancée of a friend who had passed out in a ditch with heatstroke a few hundred meters back to get him...

1. The local Terry Fox charity run (which was run like a local World Championships in our small college town) was always on Sunday morning of homecoming weekend at University. Usually ran it with a stunning hangover, or more likely still drunk. One year we had acquired several cases of green apple Gatorade the day before and used it to mix drinks for homecoming, because why wouldn't you? The rehydrating effect was fine until about kilometer 9, at which point I painted the town green with my stomach contents and fell from 2nd to 8th or 9th.

2. In a high-stakes local masters meet, I was leading off the 4x50 medley and managed to tear the tendon on my finger with the touch at the end of my 50 back. Managed to rig up a splint later in the day, not realizing how much damage had been done. When I finally went to the hospital, I managed about one appointment before Covid hit and made the weekly adjustment a massive logistical undertaking.

StruangM_WareAaron WebsteyCraig_D
  • Options
    StruangStruang Member, POTM

Once there was this Ironman branded event I spent a small fortune entering.

I did F'all training, so decided to not bother turning up!

wchevronMartinM_WareAaron WebsteyBrew_TrikjrunninCraig_DMattJames Lange
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers

No more new favourites. You win forever

kjrunnin
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM

I lost my prized and beloved half of a ham and cheese sandwich.
    Learn more at the Sworry Trials

MartinCraig_DAaron WebsteyJames Lange
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch