frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

2022 Fantasy Tour de France

MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member

Hello all. Time to get your picks in for the 2022 Fantasy TDF.

https://fantasybytissot.letour.fr/

League is Tour de Roost

Once you click through the 3/4 screen Cookie alerts you should see this on the righ-hand half of your screen.

Aaron Webstey

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2022

Teams to Date, courtesy of CyclingTips, CyclingNews and Twitter, each of which appears to be making shit up as they go along. With my comments beside the team names.

AG2R Citroën (France) - A surprisingly well put together team, with solid week 1 support, a couple of guys who can ride on the front for days, and a climber or two for Ben. Too bad he's not incognito anymore.
    Ben O’Connor (AUS)
    Benoit Cosnefroy (FRA) Aurelien Paret-Peintre (FRA) Geoffrey Bouchard (FRA) Mickael Cherel (FRA)
    Stan Dewulf (BEL) Bob Jungels (LUX) Oliver Naesen (BEL)

Alpecin-Fenix (Belgium) - AKA VDP, Philipsen and six guys to carry their water bottles
    Mathieu van der Poel (NED) Gogl Diller Krieger Jasper Philipsen (BEL) Xandro Mourisse (BEL) Sbaragli E. PLackaert Van Keirbulck

Arkéa-Samsic (France) - This team will win a lot of stages,or maybe a minor jersey.
    Quintana Barguil Bouet Capiot Hofstetter Louvel Swift Owsian

Astana Qazaqstan (Qazaqstan) - I guess they are riding to protect Lutesenko's top 10 on GC? Maybe a stage for Joe? Anyway, if they do nothing else this, they are already winners with this:

Simone Velasco (ITA) Andrey Zeits (KAZ) Gianni Moscon (ITA) Fabio Felline (ITA) Alexey Lutsenko (KAZ) Samuele Batistella (ITA) Dimitry Gruzdev (KAZ) Joe Dombrowski (USA)

Bahrain Victorious (Bahrain) - Their race has started well, with coordinated police raids on several riders' and managers' homes today. Probably good for a stage from Mohoric or Haig, who will be 45 minutes out of the GC after stage 7.

Jack Haig (AUS) Damiano Caruso (ITA) Kamil Gradek (POL) Matej Mohorič (SLO) Luis Léon Sanchez (ESP) Dylan Teuns (BEL) Jan Tratnik (SLO) Fred Wright (GBR)

B & B Hotels-KTM (France) - Breakaway filler.
    Franck Bonnamour (FRA) Pierre Rolland (FRA) Cyril Barthe (FRA) Alexis Gougeard (FRA) Jeremy Lecroq (FRA) Cyril Lemoine (FRA) Luca Mozzato (ITA) Sebastian Schönberger (AUT)

BikeExchange Jayco (Australia) - They have a Dane for the first few stages, and Dylan should be the best sprinter in the Tour this year (but lacks a Morkov), assuming he can make it over anything taller than a highway overpass. Bling is a good backup for the tougher non-mountain stages, of which there are a few.
    Dylan Groenewegen (NED) Jack Bauer (AUS) Michael Matthews (AUS) Luke Durbridge (AUS) Amund Grøndahl Jansen (NOR) Chris Juul-Jensen (DEN) Luka Mezgec (SLO) Nick Schultz (AUS)

Bora-Hansgrohe (Germany) - Pros: Took the top 5 spots in the Austrian national championships on the weekend, and Kamna somehow won the German TT title (and will probably win a Tour stage). Cons: Will be mercilessly ridiculed by Patrick Lefevere's twitter account after overpaying Sam Bennett only to not have him make the team.
    Marco Haller Nils Politt Maximilian Schachmann Patrick Konrad Felix Großschartner Aleksandr Vlasov Lennard Kämna Danny van Poppel

Cofidis - French pack fill although Coquard has shown the odd glimmer of form this year. Guillaume Martin will no doubt yo-yo in and out of the top 10 as usual.
    Guillaume Martin Max Walscheid Bryan Coquard Simon Geschke Anthony Perez Victor Lafay
    Benjamin Thomas Ion Izagirre Insausti

DSM (Netherlands) - Maybe a shot at polka dots for Romain Bardet, or a top 5 GC if the stars align?
    Romain Bardet (FRA) Alberto Dainese (ITA) John Degenkolb (GER) Nils Eekhoff (NED) Chris Hamilton (AUS) Andreas Leknessund (NOR) Martijn Tusveld (NED) Kevin Vermaerke (USA)

EF Education-EasyPost (United States) -UPDATED - Oh man, their kit is fire. This is a team in that they share the same VERY NICE kit, but really it's a bunch of solo arists. Anyway, Uran will be on the podium or 127th. The rest of the team could win a stage or two. Watch for Cort and Bettiol.

Bettiol, Bissegger, Cort, Doull, Guerreiro, Powless, Rutsch, Uran

Groupama-FDJ (France) - If you were going to build a team to make other teams think you are building a team around Pinot, this is the team you would build. Of course, that makes no sense whatsoever, but it is still a decent lineup. Note: apparently Kung and tibopino had Covid after Suisse.
    Thibaut Pinot (FRA) Antoine Duchesne (CAN) David Gaudu (FRA) Kevin Geniets (LUX) Stefan Küng (SUI) Olivier Le Gac (FRA) Valentin Madouas (FRA) Michael Storer (AUS)

Ineos Grenadiers (Great Britain) - UPDATED - So it's a pretty safe bet that Ganna will be in yellow after stage 1, and probably hold it until stage 6. Martinez is one to watch. Sadly, Kwiatkowski will not be around this year to make his usual Herculean efforts in the lower mountains due to injury. (Look at this team and imagine the damage they would do in a TTT...)
    Geraint Thomas Jonathan Castroviejo 🇪🇸 Filippo Ganna 🇮🇹 Daniel Martínez 🇨🇴 Luke Rowe Adam Yates 🇬🇧 Tom Pidcock 🇬🇧 Dylan van Baarle

Intermarché-Wanty-Gobert Matériaux (Belgium) - Kristoff has been showing some remarkable form for an old guy this year, and Meintjes has taken a step up as well. (Back to his 2016-17 form, anyway.) And they have a guy named Taco.
    Kobe Goossens Andrea Pasqualon Louis Meintjes Adrien Petit Taco Van Der Hoorn Alexander Kristoff Sven Erik Bystrøm Georg Zimmermann

Israel-Premier Tech (Israel) - I have no idea. Woods is one of my favourite riders, but he's not a three-week GC guy. Froome has been not terrible lately, but who knows if that will hold up. If they all have a good ride on stage 7, it will open up some options for them later in the race. And Hugo Houle is a monster this year.
    Chris Froome (GBR) Jakob Fuglsang (DEN) Hugo Houle (CAN) Simon Clarke (AUS) Michael Woods (CAN) Daryl Impey (RSA) Omer Goldstein (ISR) Krists Neilands (LAT)

Jumbo-Visma (Netherlands) - Who? The team best know for having a logo in Max Verstappen's Formula 1 car has a two-headed team. Roglic is the leader out of the gate, but if Vingegaard has a good opening TT and holds up better in the mountains, who knows? Rumour that WVA has a bad knee, so hold off on that obvious green jersey pick until the last minute. Wout is back on.
    Tiesj Benoot (BEL) Steven Kruijswijk (NED) Sepp Kuss (USA) Christophe Laporte (FRA) Primoz Roglic (SLO) Wout Van Aert (BEL) Nathan Van Hooydonck (NED) Jonas Vingegaard (DAN).

Aaron WebsteyMatt
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Part 2

Lotto-Soudal (Belgium) "Let's send Caleb with a chance to steal a stage, and Philippe to shake hands with the sponsors, and send all of our other riders to minor races to score points so we don't get relegated."
    Caleb Ewan (AUS) Reinardt Janse van Rensburg (RSA) Frederik Frison (BEL) Florian Vermeersch (BEL) Brent Van Moer (BEL) Philippe Gilbert (BEL) Andreas Kron (DEN) Tim Wellens (BEL)

Movistar (Spain) - UPDATED - Mas, if he finishes, will be in the top 10 on GC. Hopefully the other guys can keep him wheels down. It will be fun to see Jorgenson in his first TDF. Maybe not Kuss-level talent, but big potential.
    Enric Mas 🇪🇸 Carlos Verona 🇪🇸 Imanol Erviti 🇪🇸 Albert Torres 🇪🇸 Gorka Izagirre 🇪🇸 Matteo Jorgenson 🇺🇸 Gregor Mühlberger 🇦🇹 Nelson Oliveira 🇵🇹

Quick-Step Alpha Vinyl (Belgium) - UPDATED - JA is hurt, French Champ Senechal was maybe forgotten, and sadly, Jakobsen is a better sprinter than Cavs. Cattaneo will be left to his own devices on the GC stages, and I expect he will be riding for one of other GC teams next year. Letting Mørkøv get a sneaky win in Denmark would be pretty cool, but I don't think Lefevere has enough awareness of what country he is racing in to let this happen.
    Kasper Asgreen (DEN) Andrea Bagioli (ITA) Mattia Cattaneo (ITA) Tim Declercq (BEL) Mikkel Honoré (DEN) Fabio Jakobsen (NED) Yves Lampaert (BEL) Michael Mørkøv (DEN) Senechal (FRA)

TotalEnergies (France)- UPDATED - Newly-crowned Slovakian champion and persistent Covid sufferer Peter Sagan leads a team that has done some pretty crazy stuff without him this year. If they had an old man sprinting jersey for Sagan, Coquard, Kristoff (and Cavs, sniff), this would be fun to watch. Also fun to watch: Daniel Oss' hair when they ride across that windy bridge in Denmark.
    Peter Sagan Alexis Vuillermoz Anthony Turgis Cristian Rodriguez Martin Mathieu Burgaudeau
    Daniel Oss Maciej Bodnar Pierre Latour Boasson Hagen

Trek-Segafredo (United States)- "We have no intention of even trying to win on GC, but we can win at will on any other stage in the race."
    Mads Pedersen (DEN) Bauke Mollema (NED) Jasper Stuyven (BEL) Giulio Ciccone (ITA) Alex Kirsch (LUX) Toms Skujinš (LAT) Quinn Simmons (USA) Tony Gallopin (FRA)

UAE Emirates (United Arab Emirates) - The 2022 Tour de France Champion and seven guys to carry his water bottles.
    Tadej Pogačar (SLO) Rafal Majka (POL) George Bennett (NZL) Marc Soler (SPA) Vegard Stake Laengen (NOR) Mikkel Bjerg (DEN) Matteo Trentin (ITA) Brandon McNulty (USA)

Aaron WebsteyMatt
  • Options

If you want to get a jump on your French cultural stuff, here is a guide to the cows of France.
    https://en.livestockbovineurope.com/post/the-main-breeds-of-cows-in-france

M_Ware
  • Options

Well, lots of lineup changes already today, but I'll wait until tomorrow to update when EF will presumably have announced. Boassan Hagen and French national champs fans should be happy.

• Options

Remember when 'Le Tour will be decided by doctors' meant something other than COVID tests?

wchevronAaron WebsteykjrunninMatt
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers

I'm in! Get your picks in by Friday at 1600 CET (GMT+2, 10:00 EST)!!

#KOAT
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM

I'm in. I'm hoping @M_Ware signs up. She and I are usually battling for last place.

Aaron WebsteyM_Ware
  • Options

Can we all agree that Valverde (not racing) wears the honorary 69 this year?

Aaron WebsteyMattTad_M
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM

In. Looking for a 3-peat.

Martin
  • Options

Coquard (COF) tests positive and is out. Jungels tests positive but doctors clear him. Team assigns him to shadow Roglic in 1st week, Pogo 2nd week.

• Options

Do we have any interest in donating to a winner's prize this year? I'm thinking $5 USD to @Aaron Webstey to then deliver to me at the Sworry Trials with adoring HJ eyes.

Aaron Webstey
  • Options

I'm in. I would love a handjob from @Aaron Webstey , or $5.

Aaron Webstey
  • Options

In

• Options
    edited June 2022

I'm also happy to facilitate the pool if @Aaron Webstey doesn't want to deal with it. It'll be easier to transfer my winnings that way...

And I'm pretty certain my trash-talking is going to backfire and I'll be fighting @martin for the lanterne rouge.

Martin
  • Options
    Brew_TriBrew_Tri Member, Rooster Endurance Member

I got a fiver in need of a new home.

Yay Sports! :#
  • Options

Since I've never come in higher than 2nd to last, where do I send my $5.

• Options
    edited July 2022

Stage 1 Recap
    Growing up as a humble operator of tractors like our own @mbrekk44 , Yves Lampaert surprised everyone but his mom by winning the opening TT of the 2022 Tour de France. Yves credited his win to not wearing the new balaclava enhanced Spesh TT helmet, and to Robbie McEwen jinxing Christophe Laporte on a corner where about 1/4 of the field went down. No real shakeup on GC, with the only early favourite suffering any significant time loss being Ben O'Connor. Pogacar was best, while the J-V duo was seconds behind.

Stage 2 Preview
    Expect a relatively boring stage. Might see one or two echelon attempts by Ineos but I would not expect anything to come of it. It's too early in the race, most teams have someone that fell today, and everyone else has fresh legs. The peloton has been horrible at judging catches of breakaways this year, but the windy Great Belt bridge just short of the finish offers just enough uncertainty to ensure the peloton will be redlined coming up to it. And you have to think that someone from DSM or QSAV has a new laptop that works. (Alpecin probably runs an old 486DX 256G RAM IBM Thinkpad since they are only a World Tour team.)

Now that Lampaert has yellow, we will need to see who take on his role as QSAV enforcer in the sprints. Jakobsen is unsurprisingly the favourite for tomorrow so it's a safe bet that QuickStep will be looking to double up on wins (and to keep Lampaert in yellow). Wout should be up there, looking for bonus seconds to sneak in to yellow later in the week. MVDP will either be his shadow, or send Philippsen up to gobble up bonus seconds.

Probable Winner: Jakobsen
    My choice: Groenewegen
    Dark horse: Morkov sneak attack

kjrunninwchevronM_WareMatt
  • Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter

Love "surprised everyone but his mom"

• Options

Well, the natural order has restored itself and @KHilgendorf has snuck back into first.

The big scary bridge turned out to be a bit of dud as the peloton rolled across it at around 30km/h (admittedly in a headwind). Stage highlights were Mags Cort Nielsen* celebrating the first KOM point like he had won l'Alpe d'Huez in a snowstorm, and Uran staring down the commissaires like Homeland stares down Billy Butcher in random episodes of The Boys, after they did everything the could to keep him from using the cars to get back on after a crash.

A few nervous crashes as per usual, then a rather uneventful sprint, with their being little doubt with Jakobsen being on Wout's wheel inside 200 m to go. Pedersen looked pretty good, though. Wout is not going to be gifted the green jersey.

Stage 3 Preview

See stage 2 preview. Delete references to bridge. Delete references to echelons because the wall of people watching will extend for the full 182 km of the course. Add reference to three Cat 4s that will lead to an ultimately doomed breakaway and possibly a change in the maillot à pois.

M_Ware
  • Options

Stage 3
    It was a boring sprint stage from what I recall, but Groenewegen evened the score with Jakobsen. Peter Sagan was angered by Wout. Honestly, that's all I remember.

Stage 4
    This one was a bit more interesting. Strava is showing some stats during the Tour. The average 'amateur' takes that last hill in around 4:50. The KOM was a little over two minutes. Yesterday they were doing it in like 1:37. That segment is forever ruined for the locals, kind of like Camillien-Houde in Montreal, where the pro tour race goes each year. Anyway, WVA threw down. Everyone exploded except for Yates and Vingegaard, and even they laid off. Phillipsen celebrated a hard-fought second place, apparently not realizing that the yellow blip on the road about 100 m ahead when he launched his sprint was WVA cooling down on the rollers.

Stage 5 - Roubaix jr.
    You can't win the TDF in the north of France, but you hear the hopes and dreams of your competitors being shattered. With Roglic taken out by a poorly-placed hay bale barrier, Pogacar threw down on a pave section with Trek strongman Jasper Stuyvens. While they had a big lead on the other hopefuls at one point, JV and Ineos managed to muster enough firepower to pull them back to around 20 seconds by the finish. The actual win was contested by Taco, Powless, Boassen-Hagen and Simon Clark, with the IPT rider winning it from Taco on a bike throw. It briefly appeared that Powless was in with a shout at yellow, which would have capped off an incredible week for EF (Cort Nielsen was again in the break today!!!), but WVA managed to hold on with a blistering march to the finish. Roglic was a loser (down two minutes), it appears that Haig is out of his second consecutive TDF (tbc), and Gianni Moscon, a villain who was probably signed by Astana because he almost won Roubaix, came DFL today.

Fun fact: All of the JV crashes today were on pavement, not pave.

Other fun fact: Nils Politt (BOH) should have a great career as a super villain post-cycling. When he was on the screen pulling, I heard small children crying across Europe. Scary dude.

Stage 6
    The Ardennes are nice. That last little hill before the finish is going to crush all of the sprinters with the possible exception of the resurgent Sagan and maybe Matthews. Oh, and that WVA guy.

MVDP has been absent from the first week of the Tour. Claims he has no legs, which apparently is different than Wout's bum knee. Could be a day for him tomorrow, but my guess is that Pogacar, Woods, WVA and a couple of Ineos tough guys absolutely drill it with no real gaps happening. I don't think breaks will get many chances this year - today being the exception because of the cobbles - and with the general chaos on GC right now it should be a big elite group rolling across the finish line together.

kjrunninM_Ware
  • Options

Wout was that kid in grade school that was good at everything and would take the ball away from his own teammates playing footie in the yard.

• Options

How did your pool do today?

• Options

That was something else.

• Options

Incredible. I thought Pogacar was looking unbeatable

• Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers

I forgot to enter but I'm in for $5!

#KOAT
  • Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter

I'm almost certainly parting with $5 at the end of this but I'd like to congratulate myself on today's stage. :p

MartinAaron Webstey

• Options
    edited July 2022

Erik Zabel and Jan Ullrich are shredding the Tour this year.

kjrunninAaron Webstey
  • Options

Congrats @KHilgendorf. Where do we send the $5?

• Options

Congrats, @KHilgendorf. And let's give a shout out to @kjrunnin who rode herself into form in week 3 to give the only real challenge to the returning champ this year.

@KHilgendorf - PM me and I will have an American relative venmo you my $5.

Alas, no one had Pierre Rolland, 69th on this year's TdF, so the framed oil painting of nude Webstey on a beach - throwing a coquettish over-the-shoulder glance - goes back into the safe for another year.

Aaron Websteywchevronkjrunnin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch