frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

What are you wearing?

kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter

I've got a many years old Garmin 935 with a wildly generous altimeter that I am considering replacing (mostly because some of the new wearables look nicer), but there is so much to choose from!

So who's wearing what, and what are your favourite features?

Comments

• Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member

I recently got a Coros Pace 2. It is a much simpler (and cheaper) watch than the new Garmin, but it has amazing battery life, it's simple to use, and with their pod thing I attack to my shorts it gives me more data about my running than I know what to do with. I haven't used it for biking or swimming yet, but for running I couldn't be happier.

MartinAaron WebsteyMatt

• Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM

I have a Fenix 5. Probably too much watch for what I need but got it for free. I do like the music storage feature on it. I think I can save up to 5g of music.

Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM

Vivoactive 3. Works well for running (but doesn’t stand alone for notifications - you need a phone) and you can actually add some widgets that give cycling power that’s not (officially) supported.
    I think it was $135, which is definitely attractive, but if I had to do it again, I’d probably go Apple Watch with the LTE connection.

Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member

COROS Pace 2. Same as what @James Lange said. Although I'm tempted to upgrade to the Apex for mapping and a few more activities.

Aaron WebsteyJames LangeMatt
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers

I'm still rocking a 920 that someone on here sold me several years back! My favourite feature is when you go for a run or walk and it tracks where and how far you went. Strap-based HR is pretty sweet too. It's the best that 2014 money can buy!

I do like the idea of having music integrated into the watch though, if I ever were to upgrade it would probably be for that.

#KOAT
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM

Fenix5, love the battery life. @P_Cottrell has one too, so if mine breaks, I simply swap with him when he's not looking. (since we can't get him to visit here, my evil plan is safe)

kjrunninAaron Webstey
    visit Michigan July 20th to 25th 2022 - The Sworry Trials and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options

Uhh… khakis
    Jake c. 2011

Aaron Websteykjrunnin
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member

A 2010 Garmin 910XT on my bike.
    But I bought a Coros Pace 2 from Mrs @Martin in July 2021 and love it.

Aaron Webstey
  • Options

@Matt you and I have the exact same combo: Garmin 910 and Coros Pace 2. Unfortunately I can't get by 910 to sync anymore, and what's the point in exercising if it's not on strava?

Aaron WebsteyTad_MMatt

• Options
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers

@Matt said:
    I don't have Strava. Training Peaks since 2008/9

Boo. Strava is for us, not for you! Creeping on friends' exercise is the only reason to get out of bed some mornings

kjrunninMattJames Lange
    #KOAT
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM

The Elevate plugin for Strava is a pretty slick, free alternative to trainingpeaks

• Options

@Aaron Webstey said:

@Matt said:
    I don't have Strava. Training Peaks since 2008/9

Boo. Strava is for us, not for you! Creeping on friends' exercise is the only reason to get out of bed some mornings

I can still see your runs on the Garmin page.

Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    Craig_DCraig_D Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM

I am a Polar fan since Garmin failed me during an Ironman. Currently using a GritX and a Wahoo Bolt on my bike. Both are for show currently so I need to get my ass in gear. I really like the Polar stuff and thae battery life is really good.

Tad_MAaron WebsteyJames Lange
    Canadian Division
  • Options
    Craig_DCraig_D Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM

And it seems Tad's Fenix 5 post has spurred some Medic Alert recommendations for me. Just the motivation I need.

kjrunninTad_MM_WareAaron Webstey
    Canadian Division
  • Options

@Craig_D said:
    I am a Polar fan since Garmin failed me during an Ironman. Currently using a GritX and a Wahoo Bolt on my bike. Both are for show currently so I need to get my ass in gear. I really like the Polar stuff and thae battery life is really good.

The entire point of the Sworry Trials is "show", so please don't degrade that training with your other race distractions!

Aaron WebsteyCraig_D
  • Options

@Craig_D said:

At the sworry trials you'll have to tell us the horror story of your Garmin failing during an Ironman around the campfire. That's the stuff nightmares are made of. Makes me shudder just to think about it...

Tad_MCraig_D

• Options
    StruangStruang Member, POTM

Got to say that would be the worst case of if it's not on Strava it didn't happen!

"You saying my Medal, Finishers Tshirt and official timing dont count because Strava says I did nothing today?"

@Craig_D said:
    I am a Polar fan since Garmin failed me during an Ironman.

Tad_MMartinAaron WebsteyCraig_D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch