frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Rouvy for running

MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member

I know Zwift is the default for everyone, but has anyone tried Rouvy with their treadmill? Thinking it might be more interesting to run along, say, the Amalfi Coast rather than an animated world. I haven't even tried to connect it yet but wondering if it's worth the headache.

Aaron Webstey

Comments

• Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM

Cycleops had an app like this years ago, for their trainer. I used it a few times. I found it got boring after a while. I'd rather run/bike indoors watching a movie or show.

• Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter

I'd rather run/bike indoors watching a movie or show.

Fixed it.

MartinAaron WebsteyStruangwchevronTad_M

• Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    edited January 21

I prefer Rouvy for cycling - I feel more immersed in the ride than in Zwift. While I haven't tried it running, I like to think my preference would remain consistent.

And be careful on the Amalfi Coast ride/run. I actually tried to dump my bike on the trainer to avoid a crash into the side of a donkey. That video is pretty cool.

MartinTad_MAaron Webstey
  • Options

@wchevron said:
    Cycleops had an app like this years ago, for their trainer. I used it a few times. I found it got boring after a while. I'd rather run/bike indoors watching a movie or show.

It's the same app, just split off from Saris and developed out of house now.

Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM

Can you upload a custom gpx to Rouvy for running (similar to cycling). I don't even know how the cycling custom .gpx works.
    My question is: a) Can you do this, b) If you can, does it work with a smart treadmill to simulate the terrain?, and c) does it attempt to create any type of surroundings from satellite photos?

Aaron Webstey
    visit Michigan July 20th to 25th 2022 - The Sworry Trials and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter

I don't have your answer for running but I did this for cycling to prepare for Challenge Aruba --- wayyyyy back in 2017. 2017 Rouvy similuated terrain for the cycling route but no attempt to create surroundings.

And those of you who rode the Challenge Aruba bike course will rightfully conclude that was an unnecessary exercise to simulate the course in order to prepare for it. More toys & time than smarts.

Aaron Webstey

• Options

Hey @Tad_M: no, ROUVY does not create a 3d route picture from the satellite feed (but it will give you whatever quality picture google maps provides for its satellite image). Yes, you can upload any .gpx file to get a map view of the route and corresponding elevation profile (this can either be a workout recording or a completely made up file). And no, ROUVY will not control incline for you (but it will accept a Bluetooth broadcast from your treadmill to capture speed).

Aaron WebsteyTad_M
  • Options

Thank you @KHilgendorf , I think I may join and create all the Ode Backyard ultra routes as public files.

Aaron WebsteyJames LangeMartin
  • Options

That could be pretty interesting. What would be even cooler is to record a video of the route with gps embedded gps data, which then takes care of point 1 above. Rouvy started out as VirtualTraining, where users could upload their own videos for all users to ride, with realistic(ish) terrain responses. Since Rouvy running is still free, you could even get a bunch of people to do a "virtual" ode with course videos synced to their treadmill pace at home

• Options

OK, tech dingbat here @KHilgendorf , would a gopro record with embedded GPS data? what type of special witchcraft is involved, or can I figure this out?
    So you are saying that I can upload the movie, and then the route in Rouvy will have the scenery as captured, cool!!!

• Options

Yes, if the go pro is gps enabled, it will record the track along with the movie and you just upload the file. ROUVY will take care of the rest, creating a video with the gps track.

Aaron WebsteyM_Ware

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch