frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Memorable Cover to Cover Book Reads

Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM

@Aaron Webstey 's comments reminded me of a cover-to-cover read. That's abnormal for me. I don't have that attention span mindset. I've scoured my memory and here they are, in no particular order:

The Long Walk - Richard Bachman (Stephen King)
Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemmingway
The God Particle - Leon Lederman
Salt: A World History - Mark Kurlansky

visit Michigan July 20th to 25th 2022 - The Sworry Trials and Ode to Laz
https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
Aaron WebsteyM_WareMartin

Comments

• Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter

Some of my more memorable reads, in no particular order:

We Need to Talk About Kevin - Lionel Shriver
    A Year in Provence - Peter Mayle
    Rowboat in a Hurricane - Julie Angus
    The One - John Marr (not a stellar piece of literature but a cool plot line)
    The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood (only read this last year and I don't know why I waited so long - so good)

Aaron WebsteyM_WareMartin

• Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member

I'm not going to dumb down this thread with my list.

kjrunninAaron WebsteyTad_M
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers

@Martin said:
    I'm not going to dumb down this thread with my list.

Um hello - some of us are looking for more "accessible" recommendations

#KOAT
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member

@Aaron Webstey said:
    Um hello - some of us are looking for more "accessible" recommendations

Sigh...
    Buy or steal the entire Mind Mgmt series by Matt Kindt. It's available in a series of four or five graphic novels now. It's my favourite series of this genre ever. Great art, better story.

In a similar genre, if you can find the original Old Boy mangas, give them a read. I'm not a big manga fan but this is a great story. Even better than the Park Chan-wook movie, which is waaayy better than the Spike Lee remake.

I'm trying to finish Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle as well. I've read most of his other stuff, but for some reason never read these.

Re-read Moneyball by Michael Lewis (or any of his stuff, really). Yes, they are merely long-form Vanity Fair articles, but they can be quite interesting.

I will also disclose a rather embarrassing enjoyment of the Jack Reacher novels, which are basically comic books. If only for the mental gymnastics required to imagine a very large, homeless looking man in the key role rather than Tom Cruise.

Aaron WebsteyM_Ware
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member

I've only ever remember reading read a book in one sitting once, and that was The Martian. Some Tom Clancy's are pretty entertaining reads as well.

I also can't recommend Stephen King's Different Seasons enough as well. It contains 4 novellas that are pretty quick reads (about 100 pages), 3 of which were made into really good movies (Shawshank Redemption, Stand by Me, and Apt Pupil).

Aaron Webstey

• Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM

I can't remember any books I read cover to cover. I do like Stephen King and Tom Clancy. I even like the Jack Reacher books @Martin.

Good non-fiction I would recommend was The Prize. It's the history of the oil industry. Really good read.

Tad_MAaron Webstey
  • Options
    edited January 20

@James Lange said:
    I've only ever remember reading read a book in one sitting once, and that was The Martian. Some Tom Clancy's are pretty entertaining reads as well.

I also can't recommend Stephen King's Different Seasons enough as well. It contains 4 novellas that are pretty quick reads (about 100 pages), 3 of which were made into really good movies (Shawshank Redemption, Stand by Me, and Apt Pupil).

Great point about the Martian. I think it would easily have been my 6th. What a great book by a rookie writer. However, I was reading it to my little boys as a night time story, so I would read a chunk at a time. They were loving it. I was reading it with different voices for the characters. They struggled to stay away, so I'd have to make a curfew. It was the best night time story for them ever. They would roll laughing at some of the commentary.

James LangeAaron WebsteyM_Ware
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member

@Tad_M That's a great idea to read The Martian as a bedtime story since the chapters are short and usually end with cliffhangers. How old were your boys when you read it to them?

Aaron Webstey

• Options

@James Lange said:
    @Tad_M That's a great idea to read The Martian as a bedtime story since the chapters are short and usually end with cliffhangers. How old were your boys when you read it to them?

16 and 17

(Minus 10)

kjrunninMartinAaron Webstey
  • Options
    StruangStruang Member, POTM

Anything by Terry Pratchett, if I'm Ill in bed I'll stir from my pit long enough to get a Disworld Novel off the shelf, then stay in bed till its finished.

Tad_MM_WareMartinAaron Webstey
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM

I have 3 kids, with the youngest not quite 3. I’ve read a couple hundred cover to cover in the past 8 years. My favorite is probably “fox in socks”

kjrunninAaron WebsteyJames LangeTad_MStruang

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch