frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Tell us your New Book - Hardcopy or EBook

Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
edited January 10 in Main

I got a gift for the holidays. Hardcover version of All About Me by Mel Brooks - 5 stars And it's a good forearm workout.

visit Michigan July 20th to 25th 2022 - The Sworry Trials and Ode to Laz
https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
Aaron Webstey

Comments

• Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM

I like both but if could only have one I'd go with E-book. I tend to wake up pretty early and it's easier reading a book on my ipad rather than trying to use my phone or a book light to not wake up my wife.

Aaron WebsteyTad_M
  • Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter

Both. When it comes to e-books, I like the instant gratification of wanting a book and being able to immediately have it, or being able to borrow books from the library without wondering what stains on the pages might be. But I also like having an actual book in my hands and I belong to a subscription service that sends me a new book quarterly. I consider it a bonus that if I'm reading in bed, I will need a light which might disrupt my husband's sleep.

Aaron WebsteyTad_M

• Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter

Books with illustrations or charts I like hardcopy best…art books and cookbooks for sure. Otherwise it’s ebooks and Audible.

Aaron WebsteyTad_M
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options

Title adjusted, sworry. Although I love the debate about disturbing spouses...

Aaron Websteykjrunnin
  • Options

Got Bitcoin Billionaires for Christmas. Just started it but it's about the Winkelvoss twins (of Facebook fame) and how they took their Facebook settlement money and got into Bitcoin.

Also got the latest Stephen King book which I just finished. Good, but no weird happenings or monsters. Kept waiting for something weird to happen but never did.

Also have a Tom Clancy book I need to read. My parents, my uncle and a couple people at work pass around books so there is always something to read. Mostly fiction. Drama or mystery/crime novels.

Tad_MAaron Webstey
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member

@wchevron Are the Winkelvoss twins assholes in real life? The actor who played them in The Social Network did a great job portraying them as grade A assholes. I can't remember the word, but Ben used to use a German word that meant "a face in need of a punch" and every time I think of that, I think of them in that movie.

I'm not a big reader (which always surprises people since I have a BA and MA in English) but over the holidays I read Master and Commander. I really enjoyed the movie years ago and finally decided to give the book a try. I really enjoyed it but I would estimate that I googled about 200 nautical terms as I read it. It's the first novel of 20 and I've already got the second one from the library.

Aaron Webstey

• Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers

@James Lange said:
    @wchevron Are the Winkelvoss twins assholes in real life? The actor who played them in The Social Network did a great job portraying them as grade A assholes. I can't remember the word, but Ben used to use a German word that meant "a face in need of a punch" and every time I think of that, I think of them in that movie.

I'm not a big reader (which always surprises people since I have a BA and MA in English) but over the holidays I read Master and Commander. I really enjoyed the movie years ago and finally decided to give the book a try. I really enjoyed it but I would estimate that I googled about 200 nautical terms as I read it. It's the first novel of 20 and I've already got the second one from the library.

MartinJames LangeTad_M
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers

I'm reading one right now called Naked Statistics. Bit of a refresher as I try to dust off my brain and move toward the science side of the shop. Due back at the library but surprisingly there are 0 people waiting to put it on hold

kjrunninTad_M
    #KOAT
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member

@AaronWebstey said:
    I'm reading one right now called Naked Statistics.

So many double entendres...

Aaron WebsteyTad_M
  • Options

@Martin said:

@AaronWebstey said:
    I'm reading one right now called Naked Statistics.

So many double entendres...

I'm more of a .99 entendre, 19 times out of 20 kinda guy

#KOAT
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM

@James Lange the winklevoss bros went to Harvard, so…

James Lange
  • Options

@Tad_M said:
    Title adjusted, sworry. Although I love the debate about disturbing spouses...

Kindred spirit (almost). I love disturbing spouses.

Currently reading The Seed Keeper by Diane Wilson.

Probably not a title I would have selected on my own. It was in the indigenous authors subscription box I signed up for last Canada Day in an effort to be a better Canadian. A little slow getting into it but I expect it to pick up as it's very well rated on Goodreads.

Tad_M

• Options

@AaronWebstey said:
    I'm reading one right now called Naked Statistics. Bit of a refresher as I try to dust off my brain and move toward the science side of the shop. Due back at the library but surprisingly there are 0 people waiting to put it on hold

I quite liked that one.

Aaron Webstey
  • Options

@Tad_M did you read the Economics one by the same author? Was thinking of trying that next.

I also loved 'The Ascent Of Money" by Niall Ferguson. Sounds boring but I couldn't put it down!

#KOAT
  • Options

@James Lange said:

The author is the same one that wrote the book that "The Social Network" is based on. The beginning of this book has a chapter dedicated to that and how the twins took that experience and applied it to crypto. The author sounds anti-Zuckerberg or it comes across like he thinks Zuckerberg stole the idea and is kind of a prick. Not sure if he is pro-Winkelvoss but he doesn't make them out to be elitist snobs. Just gettting into where they start buying Bitcoin. About $1,000,000 worth at $40/bitcoin.

Aaron WebsteyJames Lange
  • Options

Good lord, that's ... a lot of money

#KOAT
  • Options

@Aaron Webstey said:
    @Tad_M did you read the Economics one by the same author? Was thinking of trying that next.

I also loved 'The Ascent Of Money" by Niall Ferguson. Sounds boring but I couldn't put it down!

No sir, thanks for the recommendations @Aaron Webstey . If you like those, it sounds like you would enjoy Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky. Same thing, a history book and only the 3rd book I can remember that I read from cover to cover without putting down. (now there's an idea for another thread)

Aaron Webstey
  • Options

Finished my Bitcoin book. The story fizzled out about 3/4 the way through. Don't recommend it.

Aaron WebsteyTad_MJames Lange
  • Options

@wchevron said:
    Finished my Bitcoin book. The story fizzled out about 3/4 the way through. Don't recommend it.

Sounds like my run legs in races...

MartinkjrunninAaron WebsteyJames Lange
  • Options

Saw this on FB… Canadian library haha

wchevronAaron WebsteyM_WareTad_M

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch