frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

New year, new bike!

kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter

So after buying 2 bikes in 2020, last year, I resolved not to buy a bike, and I didn't.

Confession: I tried. When did it get so damn hard to buy a bike?

I am determined to hold my bike count at 2, so in 2020, when FOMO got the better of me, I sold my tri bike and bought a gravel bike. I rode on gravel a handful of times but otherwise used it as a winter commuter. And I missed my tri bike. So I sold the gravel bike a month or so ago, and started hunting for a new tri bike. Liv or Argon-18.

I contacted every Liv dealer in the Metro Vancouver area to try and pre-order a 2022 Liv tri bike... and couldn't! They all said they weren't getting any stock for 2022. Now trying to build a new Argon-18. Frame availability currently "maybe January or February".

I think it's really weird to be waving fistfuls of cash (or a credit card) and not be able to find a taker!!

M_WareJames Lange

Comments

• Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM

Aren't you doing IM Alaska this year? Surprised you sold your tri bike, if you are.

I bought a Dimond Marquise frame the end of 2020 and built it up and rode it in '21. If I can get off my ass and clean it up. I'll post a picture in the BAAW thread. Maybe that will get @Matt back on the site.

M_WareMatt
  • Options

Yes to IM Alaska. Sold my tri bike in 2020. Signed up for Alaska in 2021. I had every intention of using my road bike, and who knows, it may come to that.

Would love to see the Dimond. Did you buy used or new, and pick your paint?

M_Ware

• Options

Went with new. I had bought a used Brilliant frame a year earlier. The frame fit well but wanted the internal storage. Dimond gives you 50% off a new frame if you turn in a used one. Went with a solid blue color. Kind of plain but I like the color.

Just bought the new Jeep Gladiator truck so been wasting my money on parts for that I probably don't need.

M_Warekjrunnin
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited January 5

Sold my wife's road bike last year and she's now on a gravel that we bought used (great deal despite Covid tax).

I'm holding off for another year or two on the new bike thing. I figure my next bike will be a custom ti thing that, to paraphrase Judge Reinhold, they will bury with me when I die. And this disc brake fad is probably going to pass soon. So I'm in no rush.

Aaron Webstey
  • Options

I stuck with rim brakes for my new bike. Didn't want to learn how to set up or bleed discs. I did go tubeless though, which was my big technological feat for 2021.

Aaron Webstey
  • Options

I love disc brakes. I live in a rainy region at the bottom of a mountain… changing to disc has made me a more confident descender.

I don’t know how to do any of the things you mentioned though. And I am certain my front disc rubs* and don’t know how to fix that.

*only when climbing.

Aaron Websteywchevron

• Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers

I'm firmly in the "disc brakes are not necessary but nice to have" camp as well. And since I barely know how to do anything to my own bike anyway, paying the local guy a few bucks to fix them is worth it. :)

#KOAT
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    edited January 6

@AaronWebstey said:
    I'm firmly in the "disc brakes are not necessary but nice to have" camp as well. And since I barely know how to do anything to my own bike anyway, paying the local guy a few bucks to fix them is worth it. :)

@P_Cottrell and I are almost exclusively gravel here, and I don't think you can bribe me with a shiny new bike to give up discs. I was running a pretty nice set of Avid shortys, and FSA S-LK Lights on my 2 bikes and they aren't even close to my rather cheap mechanical BB7 disc setup. Paul, with the nice hydraulic stuff would probably switch sports to croquet or even pickleball before going back to the old brakes.

Aaron Webstey
    visit Michigan July 20th to 25th 2022 - The Sworry Trials and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member

I've never really been sold on disc brakes being necessary for a tri bike, but the past two summers I've really gotten into downhill mountain biking so I can understand the benefits of discs. I think part of me knows that it's not realistic for me to upgrade my tribike in the near future so I don't want to admit that my bike isn't perfect.

Aaron Webstey

• Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM

@James Lange said:
    I've never really been sold on disc brakes being necessary for a tri bike, but the past two summers I've really gotten into downhill mountain biking so I can understand the benefits of discs. I think part of me knows that it's not realistic for me to upgrade my tribike in the near future so I don't want to admit that my bike isn't perfect.

@James Lange , honoured you are coming to the Ode. Remember, do the fun multi-sport stuff, if you can, on the days prior to limber up. We recommend old bikes. Wicker baskets on the front gain extra credit points.

Aaron Webstey
    visit Michigan July 20th to 25th 2022 - The Sworry Trials and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch