frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

IM Alaska

kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter

Anyone contemplating tackling this next year?

AaronWebstey

Comments

• Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited August 11

I'm buying a Lotto 6/49 ticket, if that's what you mean. Would be a pretty amazing experience.

AaronWebsteyCraig_D
  • Options

So, so tempted. I think the swim will be cold, the bike will be amazing, and the run... well, there are worse places to go for a very long walk, right?

StruangMartinAaronWebsteyJames LangeTad_M

• Options
    RashRash Member

attacking bears and moose should help keep folks motivated.

StruangMartinAaronWebsteyJames LangeTad_M
  • Options

I guess I will add trying to outbike/run wildlife to my training then!

M_WareAaronWebsteyTad_M

• Options
    StruangStruang Member, POTM

@kjrunnin said:
    So, so tempted. I think the swim will be cold, the bike will be amazing, and the run... well, there are worse places to go for a very long walk, right?

This is exactly what was tempting me. Just can't currently get insured to travel for it, so not dropping that much money on an event I might not be able to do.

AaronWebstey
  • Options
    edited August 17

@Struang said:

This is exactly what was tempting me. Just can't currently get insured to travel for it, so not dropping that much money on an event I might not be able to do.

Yeah, I sure hope it's a different world next year. I can't enter US through a land border right now but can fly in. Looked up return flights from Vancouver to Juneau... about $1200, and there's nothing direct. Or drive across the border and fly from Seattle and it's $335 return for a 2.5h nonstop flight on Alaska Airlines, who don't charge a bike fee.

*Edited to add: I signed up anyway.

MartinStruangTad_MJames LangeAaronWebsteywchevron

• Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member

I'm excited for you @kjrunnin, it's going to be an epic race!

kjrunninAaronWebstey

• Options
    Brew_TriBrew_Tri Member, Rooster Endurance Member

Props to anyone heading up there! Pretty sure its raining like 225 days a year there so pray for a clear day! Interested to see how the alaskans treat the racers and the other way around. Make sure you stop at Alaskan Brewery!

M_Ware
    Yay Sports! :#
  • Options

There is a livecam on Auke Lake (swim, T1/T2, finish line) and I've been checking it daily since I discovered it existed. Today it is the first time that it has not been raining!

I am no stranger to an IM in torrential rain, having survived the monsoon that was Ironman Canada 2015. But I really hope it's not like that. Especially since I talked 2 friends who did IMC 2015 with me to also sign up for Alaska. =)

As for the brewery... challenge accepted!

StruangM_WareMartinJames LangeAaronWebsteyBrew_Tri

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch