frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

RGT Cycling - initial thoughts

AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
edited February 22 in Main

Given that all I've been doing on Zwift is logging on and hitting "just ride" for the past couple years, I figured I'd put my membership on pause and try the free RGT Cycling app. Anyone else using it? Here are my thoughts after 1 ride and very little investigation on how the app works:

• Users: The two routes I saw before quickly hitting "ride" had I think 25 and 45 other riders online (Sunday afternoon ~1530 EST). There are many Premium routes though, and as a free user I don't have access to those and didn't bother to see if I could determine how many were on them. Personally, I found it kind of nice to be out on the virtual open road with only the occasional other user. I don't know if you can turn off viewing other riders in Zwift, but even if you can, this seemed different somehow.
  • Graphics: nicer than Zwift, less game-ish. I rode Cap Formentor and it is quite a lovely experience other than the FPS issues (see next point).
  • FPS: you get a constant update on your FPS rate. Mine hovered around 6 or 7 the whole time, making for a fairly choppy look/feel compared to Zwift. I have a high end MBP from 2015 which has never had any trouble running Zwift (for that matter, my old S9 can run Zwift without much trouble), so I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if that's just the price you pay for the more realistic graphics
  • Connection: I don't know if connecting all of my crap (HRM, Kickr Core, and phone) has ever been as smooth in Zwift as it was on my first try with RGT. Either I got lucky or they have nailed this part of the experience
  • Price: $10USD/month for premium vs $15 for Zwift. However, you can use the free version of RGT indefinitely with a reduced feature set, as opposed to Zwift where you get your first taste (25k) for free and then have to pay. As I mentioned, for someone like me who tends to "just ride" a few times a week while watching Letterkenny, the free version is loads.
  • Two apps: You need a phone app and a computer app, no single-device rides like Zwift. This sucks for my use case (just ride/watch a show), since my trainer is in the garage, so I now have to drag 3 devices out there for every ride instead of two (not to mention finding space for them and operating them all simultaneously). Bearable given that I'm saving $15USD/month, but a significant mark in the 'con' column compared to Zwift.

Overall, I can't imagine anyone paying $10/month for this experience when you can pay $15 for Zwift. If you're a basic user, you'll have everything you need in the free version; if you want advanced features, the two-device issue and poor FPS on a perfectly decent computer are likely enough on their own to make the extra $5/month worth it for Zwift.

TL;DR - RGT will get you through your rides if you're also watching TV (or maybe doing a TR workout or whatever), but has a ways to go before it's worth $10 USD/month and/or can expect to be a serious Zwift competitor.

#KOAT
wchevronCraig_DTad_MKenElPescadoPelado

Comments

• Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM

Geek!

AaronWebsteyCraig_D
    visit Michigan July 20th to 25th 2022 - The Sworry Trials and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member

@AaronWebstey said:

• FPS: ...so I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if that's just the price you pay for the more realistic graphics

That's the price you pay for having twins and a partner all streaming different stuff while you are trying to ride. My experience, anyway.

Thanks for the review, though. We were a Rouvy household for a couple of years, mainly because of their family membership deal which allowed us to have two accounts for the price of one Zwift. I'm always a bit baffled about why people love Zwift so much when apps like RGT and Rouvy have amazing scenery. Although I have to say that having 25 people on a course would have been like Manhattan rush hour on Rouvy. Not sure I ever saw more than 10, but I was mainly riding obscure routes in Eastern Europe.

The sig oth was talked into Zwift by some friends and I didn't care enough to maintain Rouvy, so now I just ride PerfPro and watch old cycling races on YouTube. Might check out the free RGT to mix it up.

AaronWebsteyTad_M
  • Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter

I flip back and forth between apps every few months or so because I’m fickle. And unsub from everything when the weather is good because outside!!

Re:can you turn off other riders in Zwift... yes, if you create a meetup. If you’re riding alone, just invite someone who won’t accept (like me, lol). Meetups also allow you to choose your route without limiting you to the day’s worlds. If you badge hunt vs ‘just ride’, it’s ever so slightly more engaging plus you’ll level up faster (which means better bikes and more kits in your virtual closet).

MartinTad_MAaronWebstey

• Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM

I’ve been riding Rouvy a lot more, but it’s the same $15/mo. If you want some company and drafting, you can join a race, with some of them amassing 500+ riders so you’ll likely have someone to ride with. Not as convenient as just jumping in and randomly sucking wheel though. On the flip side, I’ve never crashed while riding Zwift, but did once on rouvy when I was super immersed in the amalfi coast scenery and didn’t see a donkey train crossing the road until it was too late and I bailed. I literally tried to lay the bike down and slide under the TV to avoid a crash. Props to the camera person who didn’t end up with a splattered mess on his hood.

Might check out RGT, but the new girl’s peloton is showing up soon, so that might win out over everything.

AaronWebsteyJames LangeCraig_D
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter

@KHilgendorf, new girl? New Peloton? Or new both? #inquiringminds

AaronWebsteyKenElPescadoPelado
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    edited February 26

@M_Ware Yes! #onwardandupward

Better than the peloton, she comes with a dog.

Craig_DM_WareStruangAaronWebsteyTad_MKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers

Update: the past 2 rides have been a lesson in horrible UX. Guess it's back to fucking zwift.

MartinTad_M
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM

@AaronWebstey said:
    Update: the past 2 rides have been a lesson in horrible UX. Guess it's back to fucking zwift.

Research is the backbone of progress. It just takes funny turns.

AaronWebsteyCraig_D
    visit Michigan July 20th to 25th 2022 - The Sworry Trials and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch