frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

PTO Daytona

MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
Paula 2.0 is awesome. That is all.
M_WareMattAaron WebsteyCraig_D

Comments

• Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    I agree. What a race!
    MartinM_WareAaron Webstey
  • Options
    Can McElroy bike? I know he has a scary fast run sometimes. This is AB's to lose right now, but could be a good fight for second.
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    Kim Morrison's bike paint job and matching kit was really cool. After all, it's about how you look.
    And McElroy just dropped.....
    Jennifer PostAaron Webstey
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    Yeah, McElroy did not look comfortable. And some other guy cramped onto his face on the grass...

The first lap of the run is going to be ridiculous.
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    Rudy's white chain!!!! I need one to mesmerize my competition
    MartinM_WareAaron Webstey
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    My goodness, I think Matt Hanson just may explode (not blow up in a triathlon term, actually explode and scatter pieces of flesh and blood all over the track). He sounded like a wild boar passing Rudy Von Berg. Wow.
    M_WareAaron Webstey
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    I enjoyed the heck out of that. Thanks to @Jennifer Post for helping me get hooked up.
    Jennifer PostAaron Webstey
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    Tad_M said:

My goodness, I think Matt Hanson just may explode.

Tad_MkjrunninMattRashAaron Webstey
  • Options
    My feed cut out right after Iden broke the tape. If the other guys wanted more TV time, they should have drafted more run faster.
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    When did McElroy and Pearson drop out? Was it on the run or before?
  • Options
    I don't think either made it to the run. I recall two Ventum's being walked around the track or laying on the side. Pearson talked a little trash before the race apparently about the short course guys murdering the long course, but both he and McElroy worked themselves on the bike.

Pearson is the only real hope for the US men in Tokyo and his swim in that race was promising, although I don't think any of the top swimmers were 100% on their top form in the water with some having swam much, much less in the year of COVID. He and McElroy can crush on the run at times, but so far in his very short career Pearson has shown more promise for making the front pack out of the water. He also won the pro field at a competitive 1/2 marathon field a few weeks prior to this race with a 1:02 on a tough course.

All I know is if Pearson turns out to be a legit podium contender for Tokyo, USAT better ramp up the Gwen machine and get some PR/Media training going because the guy interviews like a fencepost. If you didn't see his Breakfast with Bob interview for Daytona, it was painful. My favorite part though was when Bob opined that perhaps leaving pro running and cross training for triathlon has actually made him a faster runner and he just deadpanned basically, no, I weigh 10lbs more on raceday for triathlon - I would be faster if I just ran. It just shut down what I assumed was a line of questions Bob had on that topic.
    M_WareJennifer PostAaron WebsteyTad_M
  • Options
    I'll have to check out Pearson's interview. I saw Pearson's comments about short course before the race. I am glad Rudy Von Berg retweeted it after the race and made him look foolish. I don't have much patience for trash talking. Especially when it's from someone that hasn't proven himself yet. He's not even in top 15 in ITU Oly points and hasn't made a WTS podium. It's too early to be talking trash. He did really well at that recent half marathon but doh! you have to finish the bike to get a chance to run in triathlon. He does show promise but I think his only chance for a podium in Tokyo is mixed relay and I don't know how likely that is. I think GB, France, and NZ will be fighting it out with AUS, USA, and Belgium a little bit further behind.
    M_WareAaron WebsteyTad_M
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    @Jennifer Post I am trash at trash talking, but I have kind of enjoyed Pearson's since it's been almost cartoonish and over the top given his short history in the sport.

So very sworry to have missed this race. As you may have noticed, I've been too busy with work lately to be online as much.
    Tad_MJennifer Post
    #KOAT
  • Options
    @Jennifer Post I think a lot of the trash talking (was by more than Pearson) was largely tongue in cheek and encouraged by the PTO/Challenge to help promote the race. He is the only hope for the US for an individual medal, however that's not saying much. A very remote chance he even survives the front pack swim.

For those not familiar - He is very, very new to the sport compared to his competition. He was a pro runner and USAT asked him to stop off in Omaha at the Sprint/Oly AG Nationals in 2017 to try out a triathlon on his drive home to the East Coast from Boulder to visit family. He had done a triathlon one time prior in high school. He borrowed a road bike with flat pedals and proceeded to crush everyone taking the overall national championship in the sprint race by about 1:40 coming out of the water 2nd then running a 14:14 5K.

Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    I would rank Zaferes, Spivey, and Rappaport as more likely to win an individual medal for US than Pearson.

I do like Pearson's stupid Twitter polls but the trash talking was stupid. I wouldn't be surprised if it was encouraged by PTO as you say. PTO doesn't seem to know even the very basics when it comes to marketing.
    M_WareTad_MAaron Webstey
  • Options
    only Male hope (as noted in my original commment) - and it's not a strong one. US men are weak relative to the field.

Zaferes and Spivey aren't just a hope, they are in the conversation for podium favorites. Rappaport is more of a hope with a few other dark horse American women in there. US Women's team is very, very talented. Of course, it all likely hinges on how healthy Duffy is by then.
    Jennifer PostAaron WebsteyM_Ware
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    How about those Canadian ... women? Men? Team? Oh dear
    #KOAT
  • Options

How about those Canadian ... women? Men? Team? Oh dear

Dude. We have Tyler. Legit medal hope.
    Aaron WebsteyJennifer PostTad_MMatt

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch