frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Fantasy Cycling 2020

MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
If you haven't been following cycling this year, every race since the restart has been won by Remco Evenpoel of QuickStep or Wout van Aert of Jumbo-Visma, who apparently is determined to win all of the Pro Tour races he did not win after his Tour crash last year, and a few that he didn't win before the Tour as well. Demare might have won the lone sprint stage since the restart, but no one can confirm if a sprint stage has actually taken place, and Eddie the Eagle Roglic won what is generously considered a middling Pro Continental race in normal years, but a nail-biting TdF tune-up this year. There. You are all caught up.

Unless the whole peloton is infected after the Criterium Dauphiné this week, it looks like we will have a Tour de France in a couple of weeks. (Maybe that's why Froome keeps dropping off the back? Less aerosol Covid-19 to inhale when you have been dropped.) If anyone else is game, I will set up a group like last year.

Aaron WebsteyM_WareBrew_TriJennifer PostCraig_DMattJames Lange

Comments

• Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    I'm in!
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Awright. Use the same info as last year or create a wittier team name, then look for Tour de Roost in the Leagues table and join up.

They have some trivia thing where you can win additional credits to use for better riders, so log in early to take advantage. Riders will be available for selection on August 24th. It's the point system again, must choose the stage captain each day, etc.

I highly recommend staying in your housecoat and brewing a pot of Kittel's Le Tour coffee one Saturday morning, reflecting on your selections while the sun burns off the morning dew wherever you are.

Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    @Martin, this went well.

Aaron WebsteyMartin
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    Set em up, let's play!
    M_WareJennifer Post
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Current Rank #11, 976. Starting strong. B)

Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    Yeah, that quiz is brutal...
    Jennifer Post
  • Options
    @Martin I suddenly feel better!
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Like last year, can I drop Ala on the first rest day because he's costing me too many points going into the mountains and swap in Roland? Or wait, did I do that 2 years ago and actually won the thing last year? I can't remember.

Also, I am 3 points back of @Martin in the quizzes, but with only half as many questions asked. Everyone skip over the first comment, as he clearly knows nothing (I know next to nothing).
    Martin
  • Options
    Hit up YouTube and type Evenpoel Lombardia Bridge. Or maybe don't. Damn.
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    I just got a 4/10! Aww yeah
    #KOAT
  • Options
    I scored a 5. Who is Team Pie? Killing it.
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Another solid 5/10.

PS if you forgot the URL like I did:

Join me in the league now no.1739 : Tour de Roost
    Password : WTTHY
    By clicking on this link : https://fantasy.letour.fr/#welcome/register/?parrain=t6wkkev&ligue=1739&mdp=WTTHY
    #KOAT
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM
    2/10. And they were total guesses.
    Aaron WebsteyMartin
  • Options
    If you were figuring on simply picking the whole Ineos squad for your fantasy team, well, damn, that might still be a pretty good plan. Talk about depth.

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/08/froome-and-thomas-left-off-ineos-tour-de-france-team/?fbclid=IwAR0HlWalukAJaaK3y0q9rhdo5tvP7Lz0V5y23YkWyOqKpoO7JKlDjAcH3qU

Egan Bernal, Richard Carapaz, Pavel Sivakov, Andrey Amador, Jonathan Castroviejo, Michal Kwiatkowski, Luke Rowe and Dylan van Baarle.

• Options
    wchevron said:

2/10. And they were total guesses.

I'm not gonna lie. I had two guesses that panned out when I scored my 5.
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    @martin buying all of ineos probably isn’t the best idea since they don’t have a sprinter and will likely only challenge for a couple stage wins (unless Bernal blows up and the leashes are off for everyone else in the mountains). Jumbo would be the better bet for buying only one team, especially now that kruiswijk is out. I like van aert on punchy stages and untraditional sprints. But, you know, I’ll let you buy up ineos if you want to experiment.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

But, you know, I’ll let you buy up ineos if you want to experiment.

Just marvelling at their depth, but from a fantasy perspective most of those guys are worker bees.

The way this pool works you kind of need a sprinter to win, but I only see three 'guaranteed sprint' stages this year so spending a lot of points on a sprinter is rolling the dice. The other stages that look sprints are either breakaway bait for the classics guys, or, like Lyon, have a cat 2 20 km from the line. A hedged sprinter/classics guy like Kristoff or Demare who will get top ten points in multiple stages would be a smart bet.

Since Sunweb has left Matthews out, and Dylan is paying the price for the Tour of Poland's shitty barriers and course setting, it's a toss-up for green. You have to figure Demare and Colbrelli are chomping at the bit for it. But Sagan looks good for green on this course, especially given doubts about Bora's GC hopes due to recent crashes. And he looks good in this picture as well:

My only concern with JV is that Wout gets bored riding on the front one day, decides he wants the yellow jersey, accelerates away and gets it, then chases down Roglic when he tries to take it back in the hills. I don't know how you manage that situation as a DS.

M_Ware
  • Options
    @martin in the Tour of Poland’s defense, Groenewegen had a pretty shitty sprint. The speed could have been prevented, and the barriers could have been safer, for sure, but he also didn’t need to run Jacobsen into the boards. I don’t think a long suspension would be excessive for his actions (especially since this isn’t a first time offense).
  • Options
    I think I'm in the proper league. Can someone confirm this is not last year.

visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    OK, anyone interested in a slightly more challenging pool? I set up a league called Bad Chickenz, password CBDED.

The points budget is decreased to 80 but you can take up to 8 players from any individual squad.

This is the pool where you choose those unsung breakaway guys that have a chance at winning a stage, the brothers of A-list riders like Quintana, or those guys from ProConti teams that have snuck under the biological passport an opportunity to shine in the transfer market.
  • Options
    Three days to go! Who woulda thought that virus testing would exclude more riders from the Tour than drug testing? Times have changed...
  • Options
    I just selected my team so I expect to wake up tomorrow to the news that the Tour is cancelled.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/aug/27/tour-de-france-in-doubt-after-covid-red-alert-issued-before-grand-depart-in-nice
    M_WareMartin
  • Options
    Should we have an over under on how many stages they squeeze in?
    Jennifer Post
  • Options
    Handy little tip received this morning via email. Only 1 of my selections is out. Guess that's not too bad.

"Dear Zoom-Zoom,

The lists of riders selected to participate in the Tour de France 2020 have been announced by the 22 teams (attention: changes can still take place in the teams until tomorrow).

In order to avoid a cruel disappointment, the indication "Out" has been added at the bottom of the riders of your team who have not been selected in these lists.

So be sure to replace these riders in the game and choose other competitors present in the list (which has just been updated) by going to fantasy.letour.fr.

Good luck!

Ps: if you play in several leagues, check your team in all these leagues."

M_Ware
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    It's official, I don't know a single professional cyclist by name, but I still made a team based on cool names and cool jerseys and added some Canadian guy for fun.
    Jennifer Post

• Options

It's official, I don't know a single professional cyclist by name, but I still made a team based on cool names and cool jerseys and added some Canadian guy for fun.

Awesome. Hugo Houle is going to be at the front of the peloton a lot if Astana sneaks into the lead one day.
    Jennifer Post
  • Options
    Martin said:

Should we have an over under on how many stages they squeeze in?

Yes.

I think we should also have a pool on which teams get booted after two strikes.
    https://velonews.com/events/tour-de-france/stricter-two-strikes-policy-returns-to-the-tour-de-france-after-government-decision/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=velonews&utm_campaign=914f69c4-cd56-40ae-bd43-ea49e8c3b3e6
    M_Ware
  • Options
    Will covered up Covid positives exceed covered up drug positives.... the most interesting bet.
    MartinM_WareJennifer Post
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Yo, @AaronWebstey and Team Pie - You must be missing a rider to still have zeros. Check out your teams. If you have a grey spot, just add another rider.

I see Vive Les Frenchies ( @KHilgendorf) is riding the JA wave like last year. Not sure that is going to hold up this year...
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I will send a prize to whoever who has the 69th place rider on GC on their team at the end of the race. (No last minute switches allowed.)

In 69th on GC today, Neilson Powless (USA) EF Pro Cycling 00:18:06

Jennifer Post

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch