frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Rooster COVID-19 Report

M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
edited March 2020 in Main
This could be better than the Friday Boozing Thread. Let’s hear the craziness in the vicinity of your coop.

Here in my county in BF South Dakota we have one case confirmed positive for an individual who recently returned from South Korea. @A_drizzle has all the latest from an ER and epidemiological perspective, @Jennifer Post can fill us in on the state of things in Washington state, while @abussey1 can give us the low down on Washington DC. @Brew_Tri can update us on the impact to the beer industry and @Rash can fill us in on the difference in reactions between Costa Rica and USA.

@AaronWebstey is doing a flying cross Canadian tumbleweed trip in 4 hops to avoid the virus in Canada today.

Let’s hear what’s up where you are.
Keeper of the Cowbell
Queen of All Donut Awards
Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
Tad_MCraig_DAaron WebsteyJennifer PostGasBombKenElPescadoPelado

Comments

• Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    edited March 2020
    Here in Chicago I can’t get normal foodstuffs, paper goods or cleaning supplies. But our liquor stores remain fully stocked, and I’ll be sipping suntory while taking care of my kids next week since all the schools are closed. I put my chance of infection at 0.04%, as my throat should be adequately sterilized.
    MartinAaron Webstey
  • Options
    I'm going to strangle the State Health Dept through the phone, I have adequate PPE at 1 of the 3 sites I work at, I'm spending my spare time trying to convince people to social distance NOW, I really wish I didn't understand math so well, and the immunomodulators I've been on for 9 years will be out of my system in another 4-6 weeks. Other than that, things are going great!
    Aaron WebsteyM_WarekjrunninSdog
    Resident Genius.
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    - Being frightened by @a_drizzle on Twitter. (Damn you, this site was my safe space.)
    - Client showed me photos of his Costco that was completely empty this morning. There was one open package of meat left in the beef section. Grocery shoping last night, shelves were thin in some sections, fine in others. Only weirdness was how busy it was late at night.
    - Schools closed for two weeks, but my kids' school is progressive and will be running classes online. They are soooo happy! School my sig other works at closed for two weeks. She is buying craft beer and puzzles to pass the time.
    - Encouraging most of my clients to use electronic document drop off or courier, and moving towards electronic signing.
    Aaron WebsteyA_drizzle
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    edited March 2020
    In the past 12 days, I've flow LAX to Detroit, Detroit to Newark, Newark to Detroit. My family won't come near me and I'm sleeping in the basement. (I stole lots of toilet paper from the main home stockpile and hid it under the guest bed)

M_WareCraig_DAaron WebsteyMattMartinStruangGasBombKenElPescadoPeladoSdog
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    Craig_DCraig_D Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    As of tonight 1 person at site is in self isolation. Plant has to run 24 -7 so they are in the process of getting everyone to work from home for 2 weeks and reducing the numbers. Going in tomorrow to grab my video communications odds and ends.

Ran into Costco today just to see the craziness for myself. No tp to be seen, meat fridges were almost bare, line ups like it was Christmas. People are losing their minds and there are only 8 confirmed cases in the city. Never seen anything like it.
    Aaron Webstey
    Canadian Division
  • Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Here in the US epicenter, Seattle/King Co, we are at 328 infections and 32 deaths. Infections are expected to double every 5 days or so. Testing is woefully inadequate. We’ve been WFH and practicing social distancing since early last week. Our big Costco panic was last Th-F.

Gates Foundation and UW did some modeling on the genome and projection was 25,000 infections and 400 deaths by April 7 if we didn’t take drastic measure. Events over 250 people banned and schools are closed through April 25.

If you want to see what it’s like in detail, here’s the link to our Public Health Dept. https://kingcounty.gov/depts/health/news/2020/March/13-covid.aspx

I always work from home and can continue to do so luckily. Lots of economic hardship for others not so lucky to WFH. Small businesses and restaurant are hurting.

On a positive note, did a quick run at Trader Joe’s. All fresh proteins were sold out so staff decided to take advantage of empty refrigerated space and started chilling beer.

KHilgendorfM_WarekjrunninCraig_DAaron WebsteyStruangbbculpKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I got into an argument with my wife over an article in the Atlantic about triaging in Italy and threw a freshman year philosophy book at her - Bentham and Mill on Utilitarianism. She shouted back at me that I’m an ass with no empathy and proceeded to diagnose me with Aspergers. Cabin fever is in full swing, and we’re still permitted to move about as we please.
    MartinTad_MkjrunninCraig_DMattAaron WebsteybbculpItsShugKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM
    Up in the Northeast it sounds about the same as everywhere else. TP and paper towels are nowhere to be seen. Going to run to Trader Joe's this morning for our normal shopping. Will be interesting to see what's left for food. Was at BJ's two days ago. Saw a couple with 5-40 packs of toilet paper and 4-20 packs of paper towels.
    I have the key to my neighbors house. Been sneaking in there to take dumps in their toilet. Have to conserve my own TP supply.
    School April vacation got switched to this coming week and the rumor is online classes after that. All sports cancelled.
    Work is still going on normally. Governor was on yesterday. Banned gatherings of more than 100 people but said to continue living normally, just take some precautions.
    M_WareMartinTad_Mkjrunnin
  • Options
    @Jennifer Post sounds like your mortality stats are really being driven by an outlier, but telling about the risk for the elderly.

"Of the 32 deaths reported, 25 are associated with Life Care Center of Kirkland."
  • Options
    Zach MillerZach Miller Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Here in NH, daycare was cancelled next week at least. Hard times for sure as I have to be in the office for lab work and my wife does customer service over the phones. So very hard to get our day jobs down with a 2 year around and not at daycare. Will have to switch back and forth and taking PTO. my wife went to the store and said there was nothing there.
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    I just got back from Trader Joe's. Plenty of meats, eggs, bread. Although everyone was grabbing 2-3 loaves. TP ran out before I got there. I was there at 8:10, they open at 8. To be honest they probably only carry 10-15 packs on the shelves.
    Went to Stop and Shop after to get a few items. Most of the flour is gone. I'm assuming those who can't buy bread will make it. Entire shelf of toilet paper and paper towels gone. Not one Lysol/Chlorox wipes to be found.
    Then headed to Lowe's. All toilet paper gone, and most cleaning products. Crazy out there.

• Options
    abussey1abussey1 Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Baltimore. Let’s see. School cancelled for 2 weeks. Guy at gas pump yesterday looked confused while staring directly down the spout before realizing it goes into the car...literally everyone in Target buying up toilet paper while trying to NOT look like an absolute psychopath...bar down the street has $.50 Corona/Corona Lights all weekend and is PACKED at 11AM. Normally I’d be game but there’s got to be one moron that already got sick is heading out so...making a dash to the inlaws in NOVA to at least get to suburbs (plus yard for the dogs)

I will be teleworking with the kiddos all week. Going to be a true balance on keeping workouts going while my BAC inevitably rises. Do we have any drinking/workout challenges planned?
    M_WarewchevronJennifer PostCraig_DAaron Webstey

An unprofessional triathlete

• Options
    idking90idking90 Member, Pro Triathlete
    I just want to point out that Wild and Wonderful WV is the last state standing with no confirmed cases. They’ve also only tested 31 people, but...
    Personally, in the past week, I’ve been in Virginia, Spokane WA (NOT Seattle area at least), back home in WV, to Tampa/Sarasota for the ITU race I knew would be cancelled, now on the plan en route back home for what I imagine will be a lengthy time, assuming I don’t get sent elsewhere with the Coast Guard.
    Fortunately I live alone and my Freshly meal service hasn’t been disrupted for last week or this upcoming week, so I think I’ll be good.
    M_WareTad_Mabussey1Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    Martin said:

@Jennifer Post sounds like your mortality stats are really being driven by an outlier, but telling about the risk for the elderly.

"Of the 32 deaths reported, 25 are associated with Life Care Center of Kirkland."

Yes, it definitely proves the risk to the elderly and those with underlying conditions. Also shows the need to test and how lack of tests and/or faulty tests is driving this spread and that our counts (at least in the US) are way off.

Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    idking90 said:

I just want to point out that Wild and Wonderful WV is the last state standing with no confirmed cases. They’ve also only tested 31 people, but...
    Personally, in the past week, I’ve been in Virginia, Spokane WA (NOT Seattle area at least), back home in WV, to Tampa/Sarasota for the ITU race I knew would be cancelled, now on the plan en route back home for what I imagine will be a lengthy time, assuming I don’t get sent elsewhere with the Coast Guard.
    Fortunately I live alone and my Freshly meal service hasn’t been disrupted for last week or this upcoming week, so I think I’ll be good.

Maybe Crystal Meth is a natural vaccine against the virus.

Tad_MJennifer PostM_Wareabussey1Brew_TriAaron Webstey
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    Shelly and I hiked the Ode to Laz trail today. The right side outhouse at the Wilderness trail entry point has had the toilet paper stolen. However, the left side outhouse (20 yeards away) still has toilet paper. There are typically 4-5 rolls stacked on a small shelf in each.
    Interesting - we must have dumb preppers around here.....
    Jennifer PostM_Wareabussey1wchevronAaron Webstey
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    In other news, Talbot announces an “underground tri”. I know he is an idiot but this is so tone deaf. One thing if it is just local athletes already in Tucson and truly underground and not promoted. But to encourage pros to travel for a race at this time and announce it and the date? In an area known for having large elderly population? The self-entitled LC Triathlon Pros strike again again. At least TO and Rinny are being grown ups and not doing it. https://www.talbotcox.com/dirtyt
    M_WareTad_Mabussey1A_drizzleMaddie_McKAaron Websteybbculp
  • Options
    This is the attitude we all need. It’s not about keeping ourselves safe. It’s about changing our actions to keep others safe. https://journal.rouleur.cc/jacopo-guarnieri-pro-cycling-coronavirus-quarantine/
    M_WareMartinA_drizzleAaron Webstey
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    @KenElPescadoPelado and @GasBomb what’s going on in Indiana and SoCal? Papa Murphy’s in Aberdeen SD is including a roll of TP with every pizza purchase.

Of the 9 positives including one death all are reported to be travel related. No community spread cases reported so far. Social distancing is a way of life here and not hard to accomplish. Concerned about the Hutterite Colonies. Lots of elderly in those, but possibly that community will be more disciplined about containment.
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Learned an important lesson in not trusting my gut. Was booked to attend a training camp in California Thursday-Sunday. Went back and forth over whether to cancel or not but ultimately elected to go. Flew down Thursday am when Canada had level 3 (avoid non essential travel) for just 3 countries (China, Iran, Italy). YVR like a ghost town. Plane down pretty empty. Shortly after arriving in Cali, learned B.C. government was advising against all international travel and that everyone returning (including from US) would have to self-isolate for 14 days. Training camp canceled before first training session. Spent Friday am trying unsuccessfully to contact airline by phone to change flight home. Gave up and bought a new ticket. After checking in for flight, got email alert from federal government to return home while still could. Came home on packed flight. Was gone about 36h, zero training, now on 14d self-isolation, and wishing I had trusted my gut. Canada’s level 3 travel advisory was updated today to all countries. Lots of events canceled locally but our public health officer although banning events over 250 people, has said go out and play, shop, go to restaurants. TP and sanitizer hysteria in full swing here. Lots of wine and tofu though.
    M_Wareabussey1Martin

• Options
    Craig_DCraig_D Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Anyone needing hand sanitizer should try to find these guys... making a buck is one thing but good grief

https://a.msn.com/r/2/BB11bh91?m=en-ca&ocid=News

Canadian Division
  • Options
    Hey, if the timing is right - say the sports leagues come back but are in training camps - we could get the Sworry Trials on ESPN!
    kjrunninM_WareJennifer PostwchevronCraig_DTad_MKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    Guys this is the first time in my life I've ranted about things on the BookFace. Does it always feel this good?
    Jennifer PostM_WarekjrunninAaron WebsteyTad_M
    Resident Genius.
  • Options
    A_drizzle said:

Guys this is the first time in my life I've ranted about things on the BookFace. Does it always feel this good?

Sure, but...
    3ad.jpg 73.3K
    Jennifer PostA_drizzleM_WarewchevronCraig_DkjrunninStruangTad_MKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    Sure, but it can become a habit. I quit FB and instead picked up popping bubble wrap as a healthier alternative. :)
    M_WareCraig_DA_drizzleAaron WebsteyTad_Mabussey1
  • Options
    As expected, Washington state is shutting down restaurants and bars but will allow restaurants the option to do take-out.
    https://www.governor.wa.gov/news-media/inslee-statement-statewide-shutdown-restaurants-bars-and-limits-size-gatherings-expanded
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    Brew_TriBrew_Tri Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Brewing Industry Update: we are all still making beer. I'll be at work most of the day today and then working from home for the next couple of weeks probably. Trying to guess how much to make right now and it's difficult to tell. However taprooms and restaurants are a major portion of the industry. So keep buying beer through available outlets, if you have a super dope stainless steel growler use it. If you want, maybe venmo a couple bucks to some service industry folks. They will probably be going without pay or be filing for unemployment. Alcohol delivery services...

Drizly.com
    Postmates
    Target.com
    Tavour
    CraftShack
    Wine.com
    Reserve Bar

Even with the items above, expect a lot of small businesses to be hurt tremendously. Support them in any way possible. Call in and ask if they are doing take out or delivery.

M_WareJennifer PostTad_MCraig_DAaron Websteybbculp
    Yay Sports! :#
  • Options
    So... unpopular opinion here (and it may be my inner blonde/blue German here): is it really that bad if 1-2% of humans die prematurely? Wipe out 70-140M people and we’ll still be overpopulating the planet and ruining our natural environment. Add to that the likelihood of death is elevated in elderly, who tend to be in compromised health already and create outsized medical expenses, limiting our ability to implement cost reductions in health insurance or progressing to a nationalized health insurance program. On many levels, we need something like this to improve the health of the planet, and it’s not much more than a Darwinistic survival scenario.

Also, investments are f***ed. Have fun buying and making some new money over the next few months. Hope none of you all are facing retirement in the next 12-24 months.
    bbculpKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    StruangStruang Member, POTM
    I'm supposed to be on a ski holiday in Park City, the mountain closed at end of Play Sunday, so no more skiing. The stores are now all shutting as with no skiers no clientele in a resort town.

Restaurants are now only allowed to do delivery or curbside pickup.

The local fresh Market has no TP, and near empty shelves of flour and dried pasta (fresh pasta shelf was fully stocked)

I've rearranged my flight home to tomorrow and will wait and see what that turns out to be like.
    M_WarekjrunninAaron Webstey
  • Options
    RashRash Member
    edited March 2020
    @KHilgendorf Not an expert (on anything), but I have to imagine that the death rate climbs somewhat rapidly once all the hospitals are full which is what I believe, in large part, the social distancing measures are targeting.

@M_Ware As for Costa Rica, we were there while everything was ramping up here. We weren't plugged in all that much, however most the folks we did encounter were from the US so we occasionally were updated on the hysteria. Locally, towards the end of our week it was dominating their news coverage, however most of it was simply recapping the situations abroad. CR wasn't directly dealing with it, however I have to assume with all the tourists it won't be long.

We are essentially self-quarantining since we returned. In large part due to the fact we had to go through 3 airports to get home and were on pretty full flights for all the legs - don't want to be the reason all our friends/family get sick. We just want to do our part to try to "flatten the curve" even if ultimately we are destined to get it at some point. Additionally, with my wife's health conditions it makes it a little scarier if she were to contract it. School is cancelled and I work from home, so other than having two kids who are tired of each other at this point, it's not a huge hardship for us like it is for others.

I did have to go get groceries/essentials upon our return and was surprised to find empty or nearly empty sections of the stores. Lots of empty shelves. 0 toilet paper or cleaning supplies at Target, Walmart or Costco. This with only 10 confirmed cases state wide.

Many people have suggested we should have stayed in CR. Believe me, once we heard school was cancelled we contemplated it, at least casually. With a good internet connection, I could have just worked from there without issue - especially in light of the time zone similarity. However, the reality is I don't want to get stuck there when it hits under any circumstances, much less with my wife's ongoing treatment.

All that said, once this all clears and it's safe (for everyone) to travel, I highly recommend CR!
    M_WareTad_MCraig_DkjrunninAaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPelado

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch