frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Best Zwift Setup?

Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
I have a kickr core and my MacBook died on me. Got out the apple tv thinking I could use it with my old 32" TV, but turns out it's a 3rd gen so no dice. Might get $70 out of the old Apple TV. Best course of action?
#KOAT
  1. What should I do5 votes
    1. Get a 4 gen Apple TV for $200
      40.00%
    2. Some other miraculous box
        0.00%
    3. Just get a laptop already
      60.00%

Comments

• Options
    You should ask the KOAT!
    MartinAaron Webstey
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    DCR seems cool with the Apple TV solution for Zwifting, but are you going to need any of the other platforms like TR or Rouvy? In that case, find some cheap small desktop on Kijiji and slap in a two or three year old video card and you might be better off? I don't Zwift, but have run Rouvy on a very old Macbook Air and a very, very old Lenovo (although it basically melted through the table running Rouvy and Netflix, and I did not use AR or anything fancy).
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    @martin Rouvy is out in beta on appletv and macOS right now. Not yet full featured (I’ve been running it on a MacBook Air) but it’s currently free. So they will save $8-12/mo until it’s out of beta. It’s a bit wonky at the moment trying to get all the challenges and career status to update, and there is no workout mode yet-only route videos. On iOS, I prefer Rouvy over Zwift since I usually run it off an iPhone and Zwift’s graphics are too small to see.
    MartinTad_M
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    Love mine with Apple TV. Now I hate anything else.
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    I just didn't know if there was some super-amazing alternative to the Apple TV or PC that I wasn't finding/thinking of. Thanks all!
    Tad_M
    #KOAT
  • Options
    You can just use an android or ios tablet/phone and mirror/cast/send to a TV. Could be as simple as free if you have an ios device (since you can cast to your current appleTV) or from android to chromecaast/amazon stick/smart TV. The benefit with using something portable (especially if you're either cheap or simply don't want to trash the environment with more stuff in the world) you can take it with you to the gym and use the treadmill or zwift running if you don't have equipment in home.
    Aaron WebsteyTad_M
  • Options

You can just use an android or ios tablet/phone and mirror/cast/send to a TV. Could be as simple as free if you have an ios device (since you can cast to your current appleTV) or from android to chromecaast/amazon stick/smart TV. The benefit with using something portable (especially if you're either cheap or simply don't want to trash the environment with more stuff in the world) you can take it with you to the gym and use the treadmill or zwift running if you don't have equipment in home.

Huh, I forgot I have an old Chromecast sitting around that I could cast my Android phone to. Free it is! Thanks!
    MattMartin
    #KOAT
  • Options
    A final option would be to use a wired connection between your phone and TV. I think it requires NFC on android to work, but from there, you can just use a USB-C or micro-USB to HDMI dongle. Might require you to buy something else, but still cheaper than an AppleTV if all you're looking for is getting zwift on a big screen.
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    @AaronWebstey please change your signature to #komt (king of most tech.) as that “a” doesn’t seem fitting after this thread.
    MattTad_M
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    To be honest, that title never really described me very well. I go here and to @mfougere when I need to know anything about bike/tri tech, I have no idea what the coolest new Dell or MacBook is called, and I haven't even built a computer in almost 20 years. I enjoy web dev, and currently love coding scientific algorithms and real time data stream handlers in C on Linux. I can tell you how much RAM and SSD space is on our computers but that's about it.

So really, it might be most appropriate to call me something like "Canadian Unaware of New Technology". All hail your new #CUNT.
    MattJames LangeTad_M
    #KOAT
  • Options
    idking90idking90 Member, Pro Triathlete
    $15 Bluetooth speaker
    $50 used “dumb trainer”
    $9/month Spotify premium
    $0 self-loathing

ANYTHING ELSE MAKES YOU SOFT
    M_WareAaron WebsteyCraig_DA_drizzleMaddie_McKTad_M
  • Options
    idking90 said:

$15 Bluetooth speaker
    $50 used “dumb trainer”
    $9/month Spotify premium
    $0 self-loathing

ANYTHING ELSE MAKES YOU SOFT

Until last spring that was my setup, except instead of BT speaker I had my cheap headphones. This has been my first triathlon purchase since I splurged $100 usd to buy a used 920xt from someone on here. :)
    idking90Tad_M
    #KOAT
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Keep Spotify, but stop paying for premium. You wanna suffer, listen to some ads.
    Though on a $15 speaker, you’re probably suffering enough...
    idking90Matt
  • Options
    Brew_TriBrew_Tri Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Netflix stolen from ex girlfriend
    Smart trainer-$1000
    Computer stolen from university
    10 ply
    Aaron WebsteyJames LangeTad_MCraig_D
    Yay Sports! :#
  • Options
    idking90idking90 Member, Pro Triathlete
    I’m kind of kidding. My old fluid trainer is definitely on its last legs with the fluid flywheel being not 100% consistent. I’m pretty sure I’ll replace it with a smart trainer before full-on trainer season arrives in a few weeks
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    edited October 2019
    Hey #KOAT, how about learning if Zwift will let you custom code our outfits to make us Roosters look really cool and distinctive on the game. Something that would really bother the other riders on a continuous basis would be perfect (feather outfit and rooster comb helmet?)
    Aaron WebsteyBrew_Tri
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    Tad_M said:

Hey #KOAT, how boat learning if Zwift will let you custom code our outfits to make us Roosters look really cool and distinctive on the game. Something that would really bother the other riders on a continuous basis would be perfect (feather outfit and rooster comb helmet?)

Definitely on my to-do list.
    #KOAT
  • Options
    doyoueventribrodoyoueventribro Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    I have a lightning-hdmi cable for my ipad. It's not ideal and I share the ipad with my wife so she gets cranky when there's sweat all over her e-book reader but it gets the job done.

Tad_MCraig_D
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    The most important part of your Zwift setup is to put in a much lower weight than reality.
    Tad_MAaron Webstey

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch