frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Bold Kona Predictions

bbculpbbculp Member, Rooster Endurance Member
edited September 2019 in Main
Put some shit out there. I'll start...

-Wurf will win the men's race by more than Ryf wins the women's race. The Hawaiian gods are sick of Daniela's shit, and the jellyfish were the first attempt to stop her last year. This year she'll be attacked by one of those crazy goats that roam the lava fields.

-Heather Jackson will finish third, and the race for third among the women will be the best race of the day.

-Sarah True will remain conscious for all 140.6 miles.

-Starykowicz will finish in the top 15. I'm pretty sure he'll be the heaviest guy ever to crack the top 20.

-Cody Beals will finish in the top 5. I feel more confident about this than anything else I've written so far.

-Ali Brownlee will DNF. Actually more confident about this than Beals finishing in the top 5.

-No professional athletes will have a positive doping control in the months to come. But a handful of South American age-groupers will test positive for all the drugs.

-If Daniela brings up how great Sutto is during the presser, I will ask a question about child rape and probably lose my credential before race day. Because apparently you can't talk about sexual assault in 2019.

-Nasser bin Hamad al Khalifa will not repeat as "Ironman World Champion."
M_WareMattCraig_DJennifer PostAaron WebsteygregkJames LangemaggieruSdogidking90KenElPescadoPelado

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    Herbert Krabel already getting under Starky's skin with the "excuses gun fully loaded" comment because AS has not been training since 70.3WC since his kids are sick with flu and therefore so is he.

Also, is he lighter than Ain-Alar Juhanson who went 13th in 2008?

Who finishes between Ryf and Jackson? I say Anne Haug gets real close to the top step in a close battle with Lucy Charles. HJ in 4th.

Kienle? Frodeno? Lange?

I want Michi Weiss and Stefan Schumacher to accidentally get drafting penalties.

My heart still goes out to Terenzo Bozzone who should have had a stellar Kona 2018, but then got hit by a truck. Hoping his rehab has gone well and he crushes it.
    M_WareJennifer PostgregkKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM
    Lange is going to get dropped on the bike then run through the field and nip Frodo at the finish

Wurf is going to lead off the bike but then blow up on the run.

Brownlee is going to drop out on the run.

Ryf will win again.

Lionel will make top 20 if he is lucky

Women top 5 Ryf, Charles, True, Jackson, Haug

gregk
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Lange. Beals. Wurf.

Ryf.Charles.Fernanda Keller.
    Mattgregk
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    @Brew_Tri want to organize some sort of virtual Rooster meet up like a couple of years ago?
    MartinTad_MBrew_TriKenElPescadoPelado
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    StruangStruang Member, POTM
    M_Ware said:

@Brew_Tri want to organize some sort of virtual Rooster meet up like a couple of years ago?

You mean we all join a Skype call and spend the day (night for us europeans) drinking and making inappropriate comments?
    MartinTad_MMattBrew_TriJames LangeKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    @Struang yes, or Google hangout or something like that. I prefer a non video option.
    Tad_MKenElPescadoPelado
    Keeper of the Cowbell
  • Options
    M_Ware said:

@Struang yes, or Google hangout or something like that. I prefer a non video option.

It's ok @M_Ware, 98% of us don't wear pants during video conferences. It's perfectly normal.
    M_WareTad_MStruangCraig_DkjrunninmaggieruKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    Struang said:

M_Ware said:

You mean we all join a Skype call and spend the day (night for us europeans) drinking and making inappropriate comments?
    Dont worry, only a rough transcript will ever be released. What could go wrong with that??????
    MattM_WareStruangCraig_Dkjrunnin
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    Brew_TriBrew_Tri Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    M_Ware said:

I will be in and out that day. Someone else will have to host. Usually the google hangouts works the best. Someone could set up a discord maybe.
    Aaron Webstey
    Yay Sports! :#
  • Options
    I’ll probably be at the office until around noon that Saturday morning, so also not a good candidate for setting it up. Anyone else interested?
    Keeper of the Cowbell
  • Options
    My predictions, @bbculp ...

We'll see oodles of top-notch exercising going on.

There will be 20x as many AG dopers than pros (in part because the AG field is so much bigger).

Disc brakes, thru axles, and press-fit bottom brackets will continue to optimize the stiffness and speed gains of absolutely nothing. Hydraulic brakes will cause no fewer than two dozen bike box disasters and/or panic attacks trying to find the tiny, proprietary parts to fix it before bike check-in.

See also: Good luck with neutral wheel support on race day, with the combined horror of 9-speed, 10-speed, 11-speed, 12-speed, quick release, thru axles, rim brakes, disc brakes (see also: different rotor sizes and placement) 700c, 650c, 650b, and probably more new standards that I'm forgetting. Some asshole will also be on a single speed, with his dingus buddy on a fat bike.

The count of bikes, wheels, components, helmets, etc... will tell us a lot about who is successful at last-minute marketing, free product giveaways, and not a whole lot about the actual marketplace or what keeps bike industry companies in business.

bbculpMattMartinwchevronCraig_DAaron WebsteyTad_Midking90KenElPescadoPelado
    The Dude at Minimal Multisport Podcast, Blog, and YouTube.
    MY PATREON!
  • Options
    bbculpbbculp Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    @gregk You shut your mouth about the bike count. That's the only way I still get a free trip to Hawaii every October.

p.s. Want to be quoted in a pre-bike count story? Call you tomorrow?
    MattgregkAaron WebsteyTad_MKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    gregk said:

The count of bikes, wheels, components, helmets, etc... will tell us a lot about who is successful at last-minute marketing, free product giveaways, and not a whole lot about the actual marketplace or what keeps bike industry companies in business.

An, the Rudy Project effect...
    gregkCraig_DAaron Webstey
  • Options
  • Options
    gregkgregk Member
    edited October 2019
    bbculp said:

@gregk You shut your mouth about the bike count. That's the only way I still get a free trip to Hawaii every October.

p.s. Want to be quoted in a pre-bike count story? Call you tomorrow?

@bbculp #sworry for raining on the bike count parade, but of course I want to be quoted spouting out my infinite bicycle wisdom.
    Aaron Webstey
    MY PATREON!
  • Options
    Martin said:

gregk said:

@Martin yup... easy to win the count when you give away your product for free to any Kona qualifier. The count also doesn't take into account big influences like OEM spec of components and saddles (i.e. a LOT of people just ride what came on their bike, so it's not truly a reflection of that person's individual product choice for each component), nor rental wheels.
    Martin
    MY PATREON!
  • Options
    Prediction: There's a possibility of wind and it could be hot.

Also, Dan invented bike counts and Kona after he came up with the bike itself. Monty remembers...
    MattPevashishDaulCraig_DMartinTad_MgregkkjrunninKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    gregk said:

Martin said:

gregk said:

@Martin yup... easy to win the count when you give away your product for free to any Kona qualifier. The count also doesn't take into account big influences like OEM spec of components and saddles (i.e. a LOT of people just ride what came on their bike, so it's not truly a reflection of that person's individual product choice for each component), nor rental wheels.
    Except ISM saddles almost never came stock on Tri bikes until recently.
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Lucy Charles has the fastest overall swim at 47:47.

Lionel bikes faster than Wurf (but doesn't catch him) and runs a 4:22 marathon.

Ryf has the best female bike split by over 20 minutes.

Brownlee 2nd, Beals 3rd.

Haug is the only woman to run sub-3hrs.

Lange gets a drafting penalty, runs a 2:39 marathon, finishes 4th, and calls off his engagement at the finish line.

Wurf wins and @bbculp is super humble about his early prediction.

MartinMattTad_MbbculpMaddie_McKAaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPelado

• Options

Ryf has the best female bike split by over 20 minutes.

I like this one.
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    @James Lange I love the idea of calling off his engagement on the finish line. That would be refreshing. I hate all public proposals. I know we’ll soon reach the day when see someone do a gender reveal as they cross a finish line.
    MattCraig_DStruangMartinTad_MbbculpAaron Webstey
  • Options
    If Lange ends up winning, where does that put him as far as standings against his competitors. Even as a 2x winner, he doesn't seem to get any respect from anyone. If he wins and is a 3x winner, that puts him with the same amount of wins as Crowie and Peter Reid.
    Would you then have to say he's better than Kienle and maybe on par with Frodeno?
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    To me he's better than Kienle, but not Frodeno. Needs a 70.3 WC and a real win over Jan
    M_WareMartinAaron Webstey
  • Options
    Hard to argue he's in the same ballpark as Jan even with a third. I don't follow Lange closely, but he hasn't dominated every race or even many races in the past 10 years (outside Kona). I think a third would just show that he is really good in the heat/humidity and can bike smart in races with large bike packs to allow him to unleash his run. He's the inverse of Marino Vanhoenacker who never could perform in the heat/humidity.

Jan has shown he can win across all distances and in some different conditions. Jan has also shown he can win any individual leg of the race (or multiple) depending on what conditions call for on the day.
    wchevronM_WareAaron Webstey
  • Options
    Brew_TriBrew_Tri Member, Rooster Endurance Member

@James Lange I love the idea of calling off his engagement on the finish line. That would be refreshing. I hate all public proposals. I know we’ll soon reach the day when see someone do a gender reveal as they cross a finish line.

I'm waiting until my last ironman to do the "accidentally drop a fake child" bit at the finish line.
    Tad_MJennifer PostCraig_DbbculpgregkkjrunninmaggieruKenElPescadoPelado
    Yay Sports! :#
  • Options
    Rick Hoyt will surprise everyone and tow/push Dick this year.
    bbculpMartinMark_after_Dark
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    edited October 2019
    Matt said:

Rick Hoyt will surprise everyone and tow/push Dick this year.

If a scientific breakthrough could make this happen, I would be happy and at peace to never watch another shread of triathlon footage again in my life.
    MartinMattgregk
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    gregkgregk Member
    edited October 2019
    Matt said:

gregk said:

Martin said:

gregk said:

Except ISM saddles almost never came stock on Tri bikes until recently.
    @Matt They've been getting OEM spec for a good handful of years now, on brands such as Cervelo (who has won the bike count several times), QR, and Ventum. Granted, all of their early climb in the count was aftermarket, but OE has definitely played a part in the last 5-7 years (I've participated in the count several years, having worked for companies like ISM and Zipp). It's like Shimano having such a high count, when they get a LOT of OE spec, or Zipp enjoying the benefits of Race Day Wheels exclusively renting Zipp.

I'm not saying that any of these companies rely solely on OEM spec (or rentals) - just that it's a very clear influence that gets glossed over or ignored. I think the Kona count started with good intentions, but it became a big marketing play for companies to use (i.e. if your sponsored athletes don't win the race, you can still "win" Kona by winning the count, and marketing it heavily). And with that came companies gaming the system i.e. Rudy giving away their product to anyone that races Hawaii.
    MattCraig_D
    MY PATREON!
  • Options
    That's why I used a combination of Kona and Roth bike counts to try and analyse the trends when I made some adjustments in the 2019 specs last year at my former job
    gregk
  • Options
    @Matt yeah, it's always best to multi-source. And end of the day, I'm not losing sleep over the Kona count. It's a decent measure of what's being used by elite age groupers and pros for long course tri, just doesn't dig into any of the 'why'. Companies will use it for marketing, and I know that the majority of the people at those companies are good people and just want to keep their jobs.

I just stress to folks to take ALL marketing with a grain of salt, especially that which uses the bandwagon fallacy. Four out of five doctors recommend this medicine... did they maybe receive a nice vacation from the drug company to help persuade them?! ;)
    MY PATREON!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch