frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

WTS Tokyo

SdogSdog Member, Rooster Endurance Member
Does anyone know why the women’s course has been shortened to 5k?

Comments

• Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Looks like heat is the issue.

Sdog
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    That’s nuts. My weather app says the current temp in Tokyo is only 84 degrees Fahrenheit!
  • Options
    Oh no, Zaferes went down.
  • Options
    That whole race is just one big WTF. Did the US make the right decision to keep this as a qualifying event? Don't want to take anything away from Summer, but short run and the US already had pretty lax standards... I don't think any other governing body was giving spots for a 7th place finish. Ultimately glad that Katie is ok...ish
  • Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    I know Italy and Germany confirmed spots yesterday but not sure about their criteria. I think AUS did the right thing by declaring before race start that it was no longer an AQ race.

I would have preferred that US followed the AUS decision. Only really fair if each segment was cut equally. But, that said, I think Summer deserves her spot. Currently 6th in Oly points and WTS. 3 podiums in WTS this year. Managed to perform in that heat and ran from 1:47 back in a 5k to beat racers from first pack. I was impressed by her performance.

So disappointed for Katie though. I wanted her to leave Tokyo with her spot. Yokohama only has 1 AQ spot with the 3rd US female spot as discretionary. My hope is that Katie can race Lausanne, takes World Championship, and then USAT announces they are giving the discretionary pick to the World Champion so she can focus and build for Tokyo and not have to race Yokohama for a slot.
    SdogM_WarefyrehaarJames Lange
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    Really, let's make triathlon a bit more open to ridicule. I wasnt even phased by Ali throwing Jonathan over the stripe. At some point, you would think the spirit of the rules, and effect on outcome would be weighed in.
    But of course, let's not be too judicious about drug testing.....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2019/08/15/jessica-learmonth-georgia-taylor-brown-dqd-holding-hands/2018947001/
    Robert RankinSdog
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    The obvious penalty in this situation is to force them to run an all-out beer mile.

Or given the 'searing heat' in Tokyo, a radler kilometer.
    SdogJennifer PostMattTad_MStruangAaron Webstey
  • Options
    It’s amazing that the Brits had the first two spots. You would not think that two people from the U.K. would race so well in the heat and humidity. It was kinda wild to see them pulling away from Flora Duffy.
    Jennifer PostTad_M
  • Options
    PevashishDaulPevashishDaul Member, POTM
    Summer getting a spot is a non issue. She is a swim runner and her biggest strength was shortened and she was still 5th and 1st American.

A longer run would have only potentially placed her higher. A well deserved olympic slot.
    SdogJennifer PostTad_Mfyrehaar
  • Options
    Tyler Mislawchuck. Well done!! Get that man an iced Tim Horton’s coffee!!
    Jennifer PostMattPevashishDaulTad_MfyrehaarJames Lange
  • Options

Summer getting a spot is a non issue. She is a swim runner and her biggest strength was shortened and she was still 5th and 1st American.

A longer run would have only potentially placed her higher. A well deserved olympic slot.

Yup, very true. Summer rocked the run. Hoping she can get a little stronger on the bike, and still keep her run speed.

It’s hard to imagine that Katie won’t make the team. She is so dang consistent in ever discipline.

It will be interesting to see how it shakes out. Spivey is also strong, but Knibb has a shot too, she’s young but could be there.
    Jennifer PostTad_M
  • Options

Yup, very true. She rocked the run. Hoping she can get a little stronger on the bike, and still keep her run speed.

It’s hard to
  • Options
    In addition to Knibb, I think Kasper still has a chance. Probably bigger chance than Knibb. Kasper is finally coming back from injury and beat Knibb yesterday even after her bike crash. I still hope Spivey gets 3rd slot though.

Men’s race seemed so anti-climatic after the women’s race yesterday. The huge bike pack was a buzzkill. I really missed the top 4 WTS men in today’s race.
    SdogM_Ware
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    Martin said:

The obvious penalty in this situation is to force them to run an all-out beer mile.

Or given the 'searing heat' in Tokyo, a radler kilometer.

Sake SPRINT
    Jennifer PostSdogTad_Mfyrehaar
  • Options

In addition to Knibb, I think Kasper still has a chance. Probably bigger chance than Knibb. Kasper is finally coming back from injury and beat Knibb yesterday even after her bike crash. I still hope Spivey gets 3rd slot though.

Men’s race seemed so anti-climatic after the women’s race yesterday. The huge bike pack was a buzzkill. I really missed the top 4 WTS men in today’s race.

So true Kasper is right there too, the USA does have an “embarrassment of riches” in the women’s field. As does the U.K.

The person that impressed me the most in yesterday’s race was Jessica Learmonth. She looked so strong. The shots of her breaking away from the lead swim pack were amazing. She was gaping the whole pack, and occasionally turning her head to look back not missing a stroke, and putting more time between herself and the rest. Impressive!!

M_Warefyrehaar
  • Options
    I agree! I love Learmonth. I love how she races. She was even doing her own breakaway on the bike for a bit. She is hilarious too. In her interview before she was DQed, she credited her “belly” for the win and said that proved that “being lean isn’t everything.”

I think one of the reasons I am enjoying the women’s races more than the men’s is because US and GB teams are stacked as you point out. Will be so interesting to see who gets the Oly slots. I don’t think there’s the equivalent on the men’s side where potential podium contenders will get left home because their teams are so deep.
    SdogM_Warefyrehaar
  • Options
    PevashishDaulPevashishDaul Member, POTM
    edited August 2019
    USA is quite deep but Zaferes and Spivey need to complete the team.

I don’t think any of them will win Tokyo 2020 but good medal chances.
    Sdog

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch