frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Cam Wurf is going to win Kona

Comments

• Options
    wchevron said:

My daughter just switched from swimming to rowing last year. As a parent, I always thought a swim meet was the most boring thing to watch. Then I went to my first rowing regatta.

Drove 3 hours to a regatta last weekend. 10 minutes before we reach the race, we get a call it's too windy, race was cancelled. Luckily we had another race the next day. Couple people didn't and turned around and went home. I can't wait until she goes to college.

I think my parents came to precisely no races after I stopped doing the fun ones which had crates of beer at the finish. That and coming up to a National Champs one year when I'd just been dudded out of a medal and was stomping around the boat park calling everyone I could see in an official's shirt every name under the sun.

College - at least it'll probably be on a livecast and you can watch from the comfort of a La-Z Boy. I don't go to watch rowing unless it's for work. However, it's taking me to Harvard-Yale in a few weeks. Do they have sharks in the Thames?
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM
    She just made it to Youth Nationals down in Florida. I'm thinking, Ok we'll go down for a long weekend. But no, it's 4 days, starts on Thursday. And, everyone is going down on Tuesday for 2 days of warm-up. So now it's a 6 day trip, in June, in Florida.
    I suggest renting an AirBNB house for us. Can cook, wash all the rowing gear, separate bedrooms, more space. Can get one 2 blocks from the beach for the same price as the hotel.
    Nope, that won't be any fun. All the other kids are staying at a hotel. It will be so much more fun being at the hotel, I'm told.
    This is getting to be more expensive than an Ironman.
    MartinM_WareMattAaron Webstey
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    @wchevron have you seen the people who row? Their boarding schools and ivy pedigree? Of course it's expensive. Gotta keep the physically gifted lower classes out somehow.
  • Options
    I hate to admit it but we do have a rower who goes to "public school". We try not to let that get out.
  • Options
    Craig_DCraig_D Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    @wchevron do you know any of the other parents all that well? Some drinking games help break the ice even with some of the most uptight people. Some of the most fun I had when my kids were in organized sports was the road trips. The kids can hang out in one of the rooms and the parents usually gravitate to one of their own. The parents are typicallly worse than kids for noise and carrying on. I think the one weekend the police were called to the hotel 2 out of 3 nights with a threat of calling being issued the 3rd night. Good times.
    Aaron WebsteyJennifer PostM_WareTad_M
    Canadian Division
  • Options

@wchevron have you seen the people who row? Their boarding schools and ivy pedigree? Of course it's expensive. Gotta keep the physically gifted lower classes out somehow.

I'll bite.

It’s a hell of a lot cheaper than tri or cycling in most countries. I used to coach a club junior program where we charged £300 a year. That included coaching, equipment, and everything other than race entries. It is cheaper thus than playing club football here, although dependent upon volunteer coaches.

In a non-volunteer program such as the one I used to run, we charged AUD $1700/year, which included all equipment, camps, all regattas, food at camps, transport, buses to school after training etc...

As to the gifted? Look at the walk on freshman boats at Wisco, a number of the American U23 athletes, and a large number of scholarship athletes in NCAA women's programs. Title 9 has meant that coaches will seek out gifted athletes and teach them to row!

I'm a bit arsey about this - I didn't go to a rowing school, picked it up much later, and got OK. I've a friend who picked it up at 20 and went on to a few World Championships and the full set of Olympic medals.

bbculpAaron WebsteywchevronCraig_D
  • Options
    bbculpbbculp Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    @altayloraus My freshman year of college, the rowing coaches would hang out at the gym and recruit people. I was on the erg one day and the coach stopped me to ask if I wanted to come to tryouts. I said hell yeah, and the next day I told my swimming coach that I was thinking of rowing in the spring. He told me to get the fuck back in the pool if I wanted to keep my scholarship.

And that was the end of my rowing career.
    Aaron WebsteyTad_MkjrunninMattCraig_D
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    bbculp said:

@altayloraus My freshman year of college, the rowing coaches would hang out at the gym and recruit people. I was on the erg one day and the coach stopped me to ask if I wanted to come to tryouts. I said hell yeah, and the next day I told my swimming coach that I was thinking of rowing in the spring. He told me to get the fuck back in the pool if I wanted to keep my scholarship.

Ask for forgiveness, not permission.

Aaron WebsteyTad_MkjrunninCraig_Dbbculp
  • Options
    Craig_DCraig_D Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM

Ask for forgiveness, not permission.

Words to live by... until you get married
    Tad_MMartinbbculp
    Canadian Division
  • Options
    bbculp said:

Mine was to keep going until I was trying to hang with kids nearly twenty years younger and couldn't make the University first boat. I thought I was going OK until we had a bloke this year make it at 46.

Anyways - thanks especially for the B13 stuff at the moment. It's an examination the sport needs to have.
    Aaron WebsteybbculpCraig_DP_Cottrell
  • Options
    @altayloraus Glad you're enjoying it. Time to clean up this sport a bit. The biggest financier is a human torturer, the most renowned coach likes to touch little girls, and the "anti-doping" from the sport's biggest organizers is just a PR stunt. I'm not sure how we got here, but I'm fucking over it.
    Aaron WebsteyJames LangeTad_MCraig_DMatt
  • Options

I'll bite.

It’s a hell of a lot cheaper than tri or cycling in most countries. I used to coach a club junior program where we charged £300 a year. That included coaching, equipment, and everything other than race entries. It is cheaper thus than playing club football here, although dependent upon volunteer coaches.

In a non-volunteer program such as the one I used to run, we charged AUD $1700/year, which included all equipment, camps, all regattas, food at camps, transport, buses to school after training etc...

As to the gifted? Look at the walk on freshman boats at Wisco, a number of the American U23 athletes, and a large number of scholarship athletes in NCAA women's programs. Title 9 has meant that coaches will seek out gifted athletes and teach them to row!

I'm a bit arsey about this - I didn't go to a rowing school, picked it up much later, and got OK. I've a friend who picked it up at 20 and went on to a few World Championships and the full set of Olympic medals.

The issue here in the US is that anything we can get people to pay for, we'll charge. There's no real culture of sport for the sake or sport over here. It's all big business. Thus, the only real rowing programs you get at a young age (prior to college) are club programs in expensive cities or private/boarding schools with donor backing. To be recruited as a first boat (say, top 12 or so on the program) you'll need to come from one of these programs/background prior to college. That isn't to say you can't walk on (even at the premier rowing schools - look at the top 10 for men and basically all 8 ivies are there in heavyweight and lightweight), and they actively recruit freshmen from day one.

For women, it's a bit different since they have NCAA status and are historically underserved here I the US, but a junior program will still have the same challenges as the men's side since there simply isn't easy access to programs. Anyone can rock up on a rowing machine and bang out some intervals to prove you have the strength/stamina to perform, but without the practice in the boat for timing and form, it's a tough ask to start in the top boat from day one without coming from a junior program.
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    If I have a concept 2 erg at the sworry trials, can we get @altayloraus , @KHilgendorf , @wchevron , and @bbculp to attend?
    It's a shitload easier to load that into the trailer than all the rest of the junk I'm hauling over to the site. No big deal. Let's create some more fun/interesting events.
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    Once I sort out employment, my 5- and 2-year-old schedules, my wife's return to work plans, and caretaker coverage for my 1 month old, I'm in. I'll start hitting the machine at the Y in preparation.

Standard 2000m test? I suspect @altayloraus would smoke me, but seeing as he probably won't be flying in from Aus-land, I'll give myself even money on winning. I have some experience flogging myself for 4-8 minutes.
    bbculp
  • Options

I have some experience flogging myself for 4-8 minutes.

Too easy.
    kjrunninbbculpwchevronCraig_DMattAaron Webstey
  • Options
    @Tad_M Remind me when the sworry trials are again? I can still smash 2K, but that's about it.
  • Options
    I can't erg to save my life, I'll send my daughter.
  • Options
    wchevron said:

What a good parent.
    Tad_MCraig_D
  • Options
    wchevron said:

Can you drink beer? That will suffice.
    Martin
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
  • Options
    I suggest, rather than a 2k, the erg equivalent of a beer mile.
    4*500, with the 'rest' slamming a beer.
    MattTad_MStruang
  • Options

I suggest, rather than a 2k, the erg equivalent of a beer mile.
    4*500, with the 'rest' slamming a beer.

I think this becomes a new event, thanks @altayloraus !
  • Options
    @Tad_M It might end up being harder than a beer mile. Gotta keep the core super tight to row hard, and that's not going to be easy with a couple of beers in the gut.
    Tad_M
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    Alistair Brownlee is doing his first IM this year and will likely debut at Kona.

I know he has trouble in the heat, but hopefully will be a factor. And Gomez's 2nd appearance? Fireworks are likely.

James LangeAaron Webstey
  • Options
    OT: I don't understand why any athlete would still associate themselves with that team. It's not like AB can't find himself some high-paying sponsors.

Back on topic, the only scenarios I see where AB is a factor are:

a. He comes out on the pointy end of the swim (which is a given), rides the Starky-Wurf Express, with Starky riding at a homicidal pace, and they maybe hold off the TTT from behind. I think AB can run faster than those guys, so he's in with a shout in that scenario.

b. There is discord in the Team Erdinger camp and the two-time defending champ has to spend more of the race with his nose in the wind.
    Jennifer Post
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    Bring back Team Tri Dubai and Team Abu Dhabi to take on B13.
    Jennifer PostJames LangeMartinmaggieru
  • Options
    No Gomez in Kona this year. It's possible we never see him in Kona again, but I expect he'll give it one more shot after 2020.

I don't think Brownlee ever cracks top 5 in Hawaii. Some guys just don't do heat.
    Aaron WebsteyMatt
  • Options
    Brownlee struggled to run 29 min 10k in the heat. But that's leaps above a 2:40 marathon. If he staves off injury, he will be a contender within 3 years. I'd like to be proven wrong on the timeline and see it this year, but he doesn't know how to takeit easy, so I could see a June race hampering prep for Kona.
  • Options
    Not to make this thread all about me, but, too bad I am. Just got back from Florida. Daughter came in 1st in the B heat for lightweight doubles rowing. Just missed out on making the A heat which were the top 6 boats, so 1st in B means she was 7th overall at Youth Nationals.
    Really proud of her. They were broadcasting it live on Youtube so had the whole family watching online.
    It's amazing how old school rowing is. I think there is one company making the equivalent of a bike computer and same company makes a digital oar lock that acts like a power meter. And very limited amount of of people use the digital oar lock.
    Aaron WebsteyM_WareTad_MCraig_DkjrunninMaddie_McK
  • Options
    Bumping this thread back up. In case you haven't heard, Cam Wurf is going to win Kona. He might even beat Daniela.
    Craig_DJames LangeTad_MMatt
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    @bbculp I know part of your prediction was based on the idea that Kona is "due" for tough bike conditions. I was just looking at the extended forecast and it looks hot and wet, but not windy. About how good do you think do the conditions have to be for Wurf to lose?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch