frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

New Ironman venues

Comments

• Options
    RashRash Member
    I will say that Lincoln is 500x better than Des Moines. I think it may be larger as well. The only thing Des Moines has going for it is a really beautiful and out of place capital building. I don't think anyone would come to Lincoln (or Omaha which is larger but not set up as centrally as Lincoln) for an IM so not sure why anyone would go to Des Moines unless you live within a few hours.

• Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    @bbculp Never heard of Cracker Barrel restaurant. To me Cracker Barrel is a brand of cheese made by Kraft.
    MattCraig_D

• Options
    RashRash Member
    @James Lange Cracker Barrel is just a place where you can advance heart disease and get some Christmas shopping done while waiting for your table. All at a reasonable price with an all day breakfast menu available.
    M_WareKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    It will come as a shock to no one that I <3 Cracker Barrel. Viva la fried okra and catfish!
    KenElPescadoPeladoslickfins_Ryan
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    RashRash Member
    @M_Ware When my family comes to visit, we eat there multiple times. The last time my sister was here I actually had to pay a ridiculous restaurant runner fee to have it delivered to the house because they didn't have time to actually go to the restaurant before they had to be at the airport to head back. They love the chicken and dumplings. Of course now they finally have a Cracker Barrel in communist CA, but it's a few hour drive from them.
    M_Ware
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Rash said:

Of course now they finally have a Cracker Barrel in communist CA, but it's a few hour drive from them.

Just checked and it looks like the nearest one from my place is a good two hours. Noted for future road trips.
    M_WareTad_MAaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    I thought Cracker Barrel was a midwest thing. Thought it would be hilarious to see how many days of driving I was from the nearest one to me in Seattle. Turns out there are 3(!) in the Portland area. I had no idea.
    Aaron WebsteyGranpa Chook
  • Options
    bbculpbbculp Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I love that a discussion about potential IM venues has devolved into people googling the nearest Cracker Barrel. This is so much better than the other forum.
    Aaron WebsteyM_WareSdogTad_MMattJohns622MartinPevashishDaulsimonsen77Jennifer PostJames Lange
  • Options
    I’ll just leave this here for those thinking of racing a full IM at St. George as announced today.
    wchevronMartinM_WareSdogPevashishDaulbbculpAaron WebsteyCraig_DTad_MKenElPescadoPeladomaggieru
  • Options
    @Jennifer Post They're not yet accepting reservations for May 2020. Hopefully I can get a table.
    M_WareJennifer PostCraig_D
  • Options
    @kjrunnin Whoa. Any of you up north Roosters raced Penticton as both an Ironman and Challenge event?
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    I've watched the Ironman and hope to again someday. So glad to see it back
    MartinMatt
    #KOAT
  • Options
    I’m happy that Ironman is going back to Penticton because I love the area. I did the 3/120/30 long distance race there a few years ago and it was great. I’m doing IM Canada in July and my wife really doesn’t want me to train for another one ever again, but having it at a different venue will make the sales job a little easier. Penticton will also be an easier course, and swimming in Lake Okanagan is alway great, and Penticton really does support the races they host. Really hope this all works out.
    Aaron WebsteybbculpSdog

• Options
    It was always a big draw for Seattle people. What I am hearing is that people loved the race but really hope lodging options will be better this time around. So many places had 5 night (or even 7 night) minimums at outrageous prices. Like Super 8 at $200/night. Most people I know think Whistler has been a less expensive and better location for racers with families.
    Aaron WebsteyCraig_D
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member

So many places had 5 night (or even 7 night) minimums at outrageous prices. Like Super 8 at $200/night.

Just like Lake Placid until Mont Tremblant came along.
    Jennifer Post
  • Options

It was always a big draw for Seattle people. What I am hearing is that people loved the race but really hope lodging options will be better this time around. So many places had 5 night (or even 7 night) minimums at outrageous prices. Like Super 8 at $200/night. Most people I know think Whistler has been a less expensive and better location for racers with families.

Jeezus. Whistler being considered more affordable than anywhere in the world outside of downtown Tokyo? That's nuts.
    Aaron WebsteyMatt
  • Options
    @Martin I know! It is crazy. Lots of those condo and vacation homeowners are eager to make deals during the summer months. The opposite of ski season for sure.
    Martin
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    On the way to Indy 500 with my buddy Tim. He's a chef, total foodie. He has never stepped foot in a Cracker Barrel. I'm making him eat lunch at this one in Fishers, IN. Made him wear the TRS hat too!
    M_WareJohns622bbculpMattCraig_DAaron WebsteyJames LangeJennifer PostKenElPescadoPeladoslickfins_Ryan
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    Mark_after_DarkMark_after_Dark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, POTM
    Tulsa, bitches

bbculpKenElPescadoPeladoAaron WebsteySdogA_drizzleTad_M
  • Options
    That bring my list of reasons to visit Tulsa up to 1.
    bbculpMattMartinAaron WebsteyCraig_DTad_Mkjrunninidking90Brew_Tri

• Options
    Mark_after_DarkMark_after_Dark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, POTM
    @James Lange like I said before, Tulsa is a very cool city and most will be surprised. I doubt that could be said about Eskimo Clit territory or wherever the fuck you're from
    bbculpAaron WebsteyJames LangeCraig_DTad_MJohns622
  • Options
  • Options
    Where is 'Oklahoma'?
    MattJennifer Post
  • Options
    Thanks @Mark_after_Dark, I'll add that to the list.

Reasons to visit Tulsa:

1. Ironman Tulsa
    2. Very cool city
    wchevronAaron WebsteyCraig_DRobert RankinMartin

• Options
  • Options
    I am #stoked, #blessed, and #humbled. And about to AirBnB my spare room for $10000000.
    Tad_MJames LangeAaron WebsteyMattM_Ware
    Resident Genius.
  • Options

Thanks @Mark_after_Dark, I'll add that to the list.

Reasons to visit Tulsa:

1. Ironman Tulsa
    2. Very cool city

3. It's not Edmonton
    Tad_MJames LangeAaron WebsteyMattkjrunnin
  • Options
    A_drizzle said:

I am #stoked, #blessed, and #humbled. And about to AirBnB my spare room for $10000000.

#chuffed

Aaron WebsteyM_Ware
  • Options
    Ok, this is for @James Lange's info, as well as anyone else that has no idea what Tulsa is, and why this is a great location for an Ironman.

-Tulsa has an incredibly vibrant food and music culture. Cain's Ballroom is a historic venue that big name bands go out of their way to play at. I lost my virginity in the bathroom during a Foo Fighters concert there. There are more restaurants there that are phenomenal than there are Chins in China, or at the food court at the West Edmonton Mall.

-Literally 100 miles of paved bike trails.

No worrying about getting coal rolled by a little dicked redneck in a jacked up F350 on these trails, not that it matters, because

-Tulsa has a massive cycling community, and the non-riders of the city have embraced their cyclists and for the most part, do not hassle them. They host the largest and most prestigious crit racing weekend in the country at Tulsa Tough, where teams from far away lands like Australia, and Missouri, come to compete at the races that go from cat 5 all the way to pro. They even let the women race. On the Sunday race, Cry Baby Hill, it basically turns into Hedonism III, as the entire city comes out to party. Nudity, open drug use - this is what cycling is about. At the Wednesday Night Ride, over 300 riders come to ride the classic course that winds its way through the center of town and out into the rolling hills of the Tulsa countryside, and friends will find each other afterwards at any of the numerous breweries that are dotted all over town. Plus, more incredible coffee shops that you can shake a stick at. Trust me, I tried. Could not shake that stick.

-Oklahoma has no natural bodies of water, which mean there are no God-given mistakes with water placement here in his rushed 6 days of Creation (on the 7th day He took a recovery day). It was up to us, MAN, to decide where water should be, and they did a good job putting lakes where God would have put them, probably, if He had the time. Here is Skiatook Lake, once a shitty valley with dumb looking trees, now a pristine body of water with thousands of live fish and barely any dead prostitutes.

-Tulsa just opened The Gathering Place, a $465 million park. This was created due to the largest private donation to a municipality, ever. Why would someone donate $800 billion Canadian dollars to a shitty place? They wouldn't.

-The riding. It is not flat. It is hilly. It is beautiful. A 100 mile loop I would do several times a day had over 4400 feet of climbing. During your ride, you would see all sorts of cattle, steer, dead armadillos, maybe a roadrunner or two, alpacas and majestic trailers draped with coveted wheel covers and carefully hand painted TRUMP signs. These are salt of the Earth people.

-Tulsa is an incredibly progressive city. Back in the 20's, Tulsa had the busiest airport in the country, because oil. The city is full of beautiful art deco architecture, and a dark history. The Tulsa Race Riot happened in 1921 because a black bellhop stepped on a white girls shoe, or something. What followed was a total massacre of the black community, which included fire bombs being dropped on black owned buildings from fucking airplanes, and some pretty shitty white dudes shooting the occupants as they fled from the burning wreckage. This incident included burning down Black Wall Street, the most independent and successful black community in the country (there is a great book on this, Black Wall Street: From Riot to Renaissance by Hannibal B Johnson. I didn't read it but the summary on Amazon sounds pretty great). This was a bad thing, though. Much of this incident has been white-washed (bet you have never heard of it), but the new progressive mayor has allocated hundreds of thousands of dollars to uncover mass graves and begin true healing over a very dark time in humanity. Perfect timing for a triathlon!

-Low incidents of terrorist attacks!

Tulsa has beautiful sunsets (thanks to the wonderful air pollution pushed west from OKC), that perfectly sillhouette the many tall buildings, including the BOK Tower which was designed by the same guy who designed the World Trade Towers. The BOK is exactly the same as the World Trade Towers, except it is only one tower, and it is exactly half as tall. This cuts the possibility of terrorist attacks by 69%. Smart!

I could go on and on, but if you don't get it by now, that is okay. We all are entitled to our shitty uninformed positions on a place we have never been to or even looked into. @bbculp, if you want to print this in one of your magazines, I will allow it.

Bonus: Here is the high quality video production of me winning my category (very easily) at Tulsa Tough in 2017.
    MattJennifer PostAaron WebsteyStruangJohns622kjrunninJames LangeTad_MSdog

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch