frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Deboer wetsuits

Has this brand been around? Some very big names pushing their wetsuits this year. How in the world is a wetsuit worth $1500 though?

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
Sdog

Comments

• Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member

Has this brand been around? Some very big names pushing their wetsuits this year. How in the world is a wetsuit worth $1500 though?

There's a thread on ST about them, and their community manager chimed in. They look nice, but the price makes zero sense. You get the sense you are paying double so they can comp the pros. Kind of like paying the Specialized tax, knowing you are supporting Sagan's salary.
    Robert RankinSdog
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    "Our WhaleSkin rib neoprene increases the surface by 18.3%, which in turn increases buoyancy and ultimately increases your speed."

Not sure they understand physics. Increased surface area = increased drag through skin friction. This is okay for a comparison between wetsuit and human skin (more coverage = faster since rubber coatings are faster than skin) but the buoyancy will not benefit from added surface in a vertical plane. Added volume, sure, since there's more material, but since that's limited to 5mm at the thickest, what they're actually doing in this case is removing available buoyancy by carving out material to make the ribs, and then trying to market a 100% premium over similar products.

I can't speak to the science behind their "limestone neoprene" being better (or even different) than the other options out there, but seeing as how they lie about one thing, I suspect they will be making questionable statements in other regards.
    MartinRobert RankinM_WareMattSdogCraig_D
  • Options
    edited April 2019

I can't speak to the science behind their "limestone neoprene" being better (or even different) than the other options out there, but seeing as how they lie about one thing, I suspect they will be making questionable statements in other regards.

Lies, marketing. Thin line between the two.

Tad_MCraig_D
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I usually hide my wetsuit AND my bike whenever Deebo comes around.

Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    bbculpbbculp Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I'm supposed to have a deBoer suit to sample next week, although we're still a few weeks away from open-water season in Chicago.

I get the sense that the whale skin is just a gimmick to make the suit stand out. I'm interested in the "DuraFlex" rubber in the shoulders, which is just 0.33 thick. They claim it's virtually rip-proof and I'll certainly be putting that to the test.

Regardless, $1500 for a wetsuit is insane and it's not a viable business model. It sounds like they have a big-money investor or 2 behind them, but that'll only go so far if you're not moving product.
  • Options
    @bbculp what do you mean "a few weeks away from open water" here? It's not like the weather forecast is calling for snow tomorrow night - wait, no, it is. At this rate you'll be holding onto that suit until August before you get a chance to test it.
    bbculp
  • Options
    @KHilgendorf At least the lake is behaving normally. Last year May 3 was my first open water day. I think I'll be about a week behind that this year.

The water temp close to shore at Ohio St was all the way up to 51 this morning, but the buoy out at the crib measured 38! Tomorrow's storm certainly won't help shore/surface temps.
  • Options
    Also, phrasing:

"WhaleSkin rib neoprene increases the surface by 18.3%" belongs in an Adam & Eve catalogue.
    Tad_MCraig_DKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    Wasnt there a Tyr suit that sold close to $1500? Freak of nature? Or the one with the golden outline of the 8-pack abs.
  • Options
    Matt said:

Wasnt there a Tyr suit that sold close to $1500? Freak of nature? Or the one with the golden outline of the 8-pack abs.

Yeah it was the freak of nature. TYR is very established and had cheaper options though. Deboer's only wetsuits are $1500. Catering to the very pointy end of triathlon, both speed and financially speaking. Can't imagine how small the ROI would be for me with this suit over the $200 used Roka I have

• Options
    SdogSdog Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    $1500 for a wetsuit is just stupid. You could get 6 or 7 suits for that price.
    ItsShug
  • Options
    SdogSdog Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Matt said:

Yeah, for $250 bucks all in, you can get a wetsuit and spray paint your own golden abs on it.
    MattMartin
  • Options
    jrielley1406jrielley1406 Member, Pro Triathlete, POTM
    @bbculp what’s your temp threshold?! I don’t mind 60s but I made the mistake one day of not looking at the temp because the day before was 68. Well I got my face in then said “f this!”. Got home saw the lake flipped at it was 56. That is the day I learned I need to refresh lake temps every hour the day I swim.
    “Pro” triathlete and dad to a crazy, wild, and fun little girl! So basically freaking out on a day to day basis...
  • Options
    @jrielley1406 my limit is dependent on duration, but can go down to 52 with a wetsuit for pretty much anything. No wetsuit, I can do 57-8 for short stuff (up to about 600m). Need it around 62-63 before I can think about a swim of decent length. But I'm a nordic/Irish ginger. Apparently we have high pain thresholds, and a lack of concern for our own well-being.
    M_WarekjrunninTad_MKenElPescadoPeladobbculp
  • Options
    @jrielley1406 I'm good for about a mile once it's in the 53-56 range (with a neoprene cap, sometimes booties if I'm feeling soft.) I keep a wetsuit on until it hits 65, then I'm neoprene free unless the air is in the 50s.

You in Chicago as well? Lake flipping is a uniquely Lake Michigan/Superior thing.

Where do you check for water temps? I use https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?issuedby=lot&product=omr&site=lot Problem is the buoys post the temp at 9 each morning and then don't update all day. I've definitely had days where it's dropped 15 degrees in a few hours!
  • Options
    jrielley1406jrielley1406 Member, Pro Triathlete, POTM
    @bbculp and @KHilgendorf you guys are crazy! I can’t do low 50s. Well maybe but I only own a neoprene cap and nothing for hands or feet.

And I’m in Skokie so usually swim at either Lee street or south blvd in Evanston since they’re close. I’ve used this site with decent results but Evanston is usually good at updating temps daily, so just have to hope the winds don’t shift over night! http://www.coastwatch.msu.edu/michigan/m5.html
    bbculp
    “Pro” triathlete and dad to a crazy, wild, and fun little girl! So basically freaking out on a day to day basis...
  • Options
    You guys are nutjobs swimming in the 50s.

Deboer’s athletes times didn’t look so great this morning
    SdogbbculpCraig_D

• Options
    doyoueventribrodoyoueventribro Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Are they really $1500? Jesus. Is dare2tri still around or did they merge with deboer wetsuits? I'm in the camp of recommending the cheapest wetsuit option for beginner triathletes and I haven't been comfortable recommending xterra the last few years because of quality. Dare2Tri seemed like a good option but now maybe not?.
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    A local shop rents out Nineteen wetsuits for $45 for a weekend, so they're a great option.
    James Lange
  • Options
    doyoueventribrodoyoueventribro Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Matt said:

A local shop rents out Nineteen wetsuits for $45 for a weekend, so they're a great option.

Our local bike shop hates triathletes. I volunteered for their shop run bike race once and he told someone, while I was standing there, "yeah, it's a shame we don't get more participants but there's too much of a local triathlon community around here and they don't want to get hurt racing bikes". I mean, I get it, triathlon stuff like shoes/apparel/gadgets is tough to keep in stock since the industry keeps changing, but that's not the local triathletes fault.

I tried hooking them up with a wetsuit company so they could keep a supply for rentals and the owner was like, "I'd have to rent them out a dozen times to just make my money back and that's assuming they won't come back ripped". I kind of gave up after that. I try to find the best deals for new athletes as a way to get into the sport but now that our race venue has hovered around wetsuit legal/illegal the last few years I might just turn my attention to more outdoor swimming clinics/lessons and skip the whole wetsuit partnership deal

James LangeAaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited April 2019
    I've only ever bought one wetsuit. I bought it from a triathlon shop that rented them and then if you decided to buy it you're rental fee went towards the cost, which was 50% off for suits that had been rented X number of times. That wetsuit has lasted me 6 years now and is probably the nicest triathlon accessory I own.
    That shop did go out of business a few years back though, so maybe it's not the best business model, though I doubt that was what tanked a triathlon shop in Red Deer, Alberta.
    Aaron WebsteyMattkjrunninKenElPescadoPeladoMartindoyoueventribroTad_M

• Options
    How did you like the deBoer wetsuit?
    bbculp said:

I'm supposed to have a deBoer suit to sample next week, although we're still a few weeks away from open-water season in Chicago.

I get the sense that the whale skin is just a gimmick to make the suit stand out. I'm interested in the "DuraFlex" rubber in the shoulders, which is just 0.33 thick. They claim it's virtually rip-proof and I'll certainly be putting that to the test.

Regardless, $1500 for a wetsuit is insane and it's not a viable business model. It sounds like they have a big-money investor or 2 behind them, but that'll only go so far if you're not moving product.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch