frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

New Ironman venues

bbculpbbculp Member, Rooster Endurance Member
As expected, Ironman's "big" announcement was that they've narrowed down the next U.S. venue to four places most Americans never want to visit: Fayetteville (Ark., not N.C.), Tulsa (that's in Oklahoma, which sits on top of Texas), Des Moines (which people only know of because of "Tommy Boy") and Memphis (where they put bbq sauce on pasta and it's fucking gross).

I think these are four of the most underrated cities in America and I would live in any one of them...except Memphis, Des Moines and Tulsa. But as destination races go, these are pretty weak. If Andrew Messick called you today and said he'd put an Ironman in a U.S. city/town of your choosing, where would it be and why?
Maddie_McK

Comments

• Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Portland. Scenery.
    bbculpJennifer PostGranpa ChookJohns622
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited April 2019
    It would be sweet if there was an Ironman in the NW just because of proximity to me. Not sure why Coeur D'alene didn't work out, but that was always the Ironman I planned on doing after IMC left Penticton. I did Lake Stevens the the last year it was held and it was a very nice venue and location. Ultimately if I'm doing an Ironman all I really care about is how hard the course is and how easy it is to get there. I'm doing IMC this summer for no other reason than it being the most simple race for me to get to logistically. I can't imagine the desirability of the location as a tourist ever being a consideration for me, though it does make it easier to convince the wife.

Would it be the craziest thing to have another IM in Kona in the spring or early summer? People would pay big money to be able to race that course.
    bbculpkjrunninJennifer PostGranpa Chook

• Options
    RashRash Member
    I have no suggestions as I wouldn't do it if it were here in Lincoln. To be clear, I am assuming this is in reference to a full 140.6, not a 70.3.
    bbculp
  • Options
    @Rash yes, 140.6. I feel like there are so solid 70.3 destinations in the U.S., but all the 140.6 venues are kinda meh. I love Madison and Lake Placid, but I'd rather go to Syria than Panama City Beach.

@James Lange Kona would never allow a second race. The only way Ironman gets away with the 70.3 is because they do it WAY the fuck out of town.
    kjrunninmaggieruKenElPescadoPeladoJohns622James Lange
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    Greenville, SC
    It's a great vibrant small city, with incredible riding. It would be an awesome place to drink cold beer at one of the many downtown rooftop hangs while watching a bunch of overstressed folks underappreciate the beauty of the course as they realize their inflated times wont impress their neighbors.
    It would be another St. George like experience with a different kind of beauty, and 10x the cool factor.
    maggierubbculpGranpa ChookBrew_TriJohns622
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    PCB in November is what I imagine Syria is like. There’s so many better beaches in FL, but I need that flat bike course (I’m fat). Can’t really think of a vacation destination for a full. Wish they’d put 70.3 worlds back in Vegas.
    bbculp1_Hot_Pretzel

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter

It would be sweet if there was an Ironman in the NW just because of proximity to me. Not sure why Coeur D'alene didn't work out, but that was always the Ironman I planned on doing after IMC left Penticton.

Coeur D’Alene was a great course! I feel grateful I did both CdA and Penticton courses before they were retired. Talked to some Spokane residents at iMC last year and there’s some pressure (allegedly) on the city to do a combo 70.3/140.6 on one day like Whistler has done.

Jealous you’re doing IMC this year! I’d love to take on the new bike course.
    James Lange

• Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Burlington VT, but you would end up having a hill or two on the course so it will never f***ing happen.

Charlottetown PEI, but it's in Canada so it will happen on the cold day in hell when Canada gets another NHL team. Never.
    MattAaron Webstey
  • Options
    mbrekk44mbrekk44 Member, POTM
    I always thought Park City would be an awesome place to race.
    MartinTad_Mbbculpslickfins_RyanJohns622
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    mbrekk44 said:

Now that would be interesting. Where would the swim happen?
  • Options
    mbrekk44mbrekk44 Member, POTM
    Martin said:

mbrekk44 said:

Now that would be interesting. Where would the swim happen?
    Jordanelle Reservoir is right by town.
    Aaron WebsteyMartin
  • Options
    maggierumaggieru Member, Pro Triathlete
    Greenville would be amazing. I did the swamp rabbit half marathon: that trail would be great for the run.

Asheville lost out to Chattanooga a few years back, I believe. Probably too hilly for most for an IM but that would be my dream.
    Johns622
    insta: @magrusch
  • Options
    SLC would be perfect. It amazes me that more top-tier pros don't choose to live there over Boulder. The elite cyclists have all figured out that the riding around SLC is some of the best in the world. Plus there's better food, taxes, people, etc. Hopefully a bunch of triathletes can move there and ruin all that.
    Robert RankinTad_MAaron WebsteyMartinslickfins_Ryanmbrekk44
  • Options
    Mark_after_DarkMark_after_Dark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, POTM
    I have to say that I will stick up for Tulsa at this point. It is a super hip, cycle friendly city with some actually good riding in the area. The rest of Oklahoma can go fuck its Trumpsucking self though.

Honestly though, Tulsa is the new Austin but without all the traffic and over-abundance of hipsters.
    Aaron WebsteyMartinslickfins_RyanJames Lange1_Hot_Pretzel
  • Options
    No one knows super hip like you, Mark.

As I mentioned to Mark in my apology-ridden texts today, I haven't been to Tulsa since 2006. I've heard a lot of people sing its praises recently. It's interesting to see Tulsa and Fayetteville fighting over this race (they're only 120 miles apart for those of you normal people who haven't been to either place). They're also battling with Lawrence, Kansas, to be the cool city in a part of the country that has never really had cool cities.

Anyway, can we just put some races in the fucking mountains like they do in Europe?
    Aaron WebsteymaggieruMartinMaddie_McK
  • Options
    idking90idking90 Member, Pro Triathlete
    Martin said:

Burlington VT, but you would end up having a hill or two on the course so it will never f***ing happen.

Charlottetown PEI, but it's in Canada so it will happen on the cold day in hell when Canada gets another NHL team. Never.

Burlington held AG Nats years ago and it was a pretty great venue, very similar to Milwaukee just a smaller city. Airport probably sucks to get to from most of the country though
  • Options
    I'm biased, but I'd love to have something in the PNW, June-Sep. I'm still surprised WTC hasn't bought Pacific Crest and turned it into Bend 70.3, added a pro race, cancel the pro race, and cancel the entire race two years later. Classic WTC move.

I enjoyed Lake Stevens 70.3, I wish that was still around. There are lots of great locations in Oregon/Wash and not much competition.
    Aaron WebsteyJennifer PostkjrunninbbculpKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter

I'm biased, but I'd love to have something in the PNW, June-Sep. I'm still surprised WTC hasn't bought Pacific Crest and turned it into Bend 70.3, added a pro race, cancel the pro race, and cancel the entire race two years later. Classic WTC move.

I enjoyed Lake Stevens 70.3, I wish that was still around. There are lots of great locations in Oregon/Wash and not much competition.

Ditto.

I live in Seattle but my PNW pick would be Hood River. Super close to Portland airport. It has every outdoor sport you want. It’s beautiful. Many of Eric Lagerstrom’s videos are shot in the area so you can see how pretty it is.

Bonus is that Sunny Garcia spends a lot of time at his place in White Salmon across the river so no chance of Macca ever showing up.

Tad_MM_WarekjrunninAaron WebsteyMartinGranpa ChookbbculpKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    slickfins_Ryanslickfins_Ryan Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Intercourse, PA. Just imagine the merch tent...
    Tad_MGranpa ChookKenElPescadoPeladoJennifer PostbbculpAaron WebsteyCraig_D

Kind of wish I was Canadian. Sorry.

• Options
    @slickfins_Ryan a swim shortened Intercourse 69.1?
    KenElPescadoPeladoMattJennifer PostbbculpMaddie_McKAaron WebsteyStruangCraig_D
  • Options
    Johns622Johns622 Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I'll tag onto the Greenville, SC train here. Imagine throwing Skyuka mtn. or Howard's Gap into the middle of an IM. People would cry and Messick would move it in 2 years, but it'd be fun.
    Tad_Mmaggieru
  • Options
    @Johns622 Sounds like I need to make a summer training trip down to Greenville. Didn't realize there was that kind of terrain.
    Johns622maggieru
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    edited April 2019
    Brad and Matt, can we have lunch with George? @bbculp @Johns622
    http://hoteldomestique.com/
    http://restaurant17.com/
    bbculp said:

@Johns622 Sounds like I need to make a summer training trip down to Greenville. Didn't realize there was that kind of terrain.

bbculp
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    Johns622Johns622 Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    @bbculp @M_Ware our company "team" rides the Hincapie Gran Fondo every year that starts at Hotel Domestique. Always one of the weeks of the year for me.
    M_Warebbculp
  • Options
    maggierumaggieru Member, Pro Triathlete
    edited April 2019
    @bbculp I'm partial to NC but the riding between Asheville/Greenville is some of the best in the US.

One of my favorite loops that was supposed to be a flat/fast 100 miles but we followed the wrong arrows on the road. https://www.strava.com/activities/387105562

If you ever do make it out there, happy to provide more of my favorite routes.
    bbculpM_Warejrielley1406
    insta: @magrusch
  • Options
    Is it true that these 4 cities actually want to host an Ironman? It seems like so many cities have strained relationships with triathlons in general.

• Options
    @James Lange Yes, all 4 have entered bids to host. I'm not sure about Memphis (it has its fair share of financial issues) but the other three cities are booming and are probably hoping an Ironman can add to that momentum.
    James Lange
  • Options
    @bbculp That's great. It's always good to have races in cities that want them.

• Options
    RashRash Member
    edited April 2019
    @James Lange I can confirm that at least the local tri community in Des Moines wants them. The Omaha and Lincoln chapters of NE Tri Club are working with the Des Moines tri club to try to help where they can with lobbying IM. I know because I have received 3,000 messages about it.

ETA - Sorry, should have noted for your coasters, you can stand in Omaha and spit on Iowa (many do) and Des Moines is about a 2 hour drive from Omaha.
    M_Ware
  • Options
    I ate at a Cracker Barrel in Lincoln once. It was probably the best of the three Cracker Barrels I've been to.

Any Canadian Roosters been to a Cracker Barrel?
    Matt

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch