frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Kona Doping

SdogSdog Member, Rooster Endurance Member
It will be interesting to see what the fall out is from this story. I am hoping that it turns out that a bunch of stupid age groupers were doing it, and not the pros.

Comments

• Options
    I'll take "All of the Above" for $1000, Alex.
    M_WareSdogMartinAaron Websteysimonsen77idking90abussey1maggieruKenElPescadoPeladoCraig_D
    I think I found my tribe of assholes.
  • Options
    DerekL said:

I'll take "All of the Above" for $1000, Alex.

Yes, that is likely true. In a sport where everyone is searching for the latest technological advantages is easy to imagine that some people are tempted to cross the line.
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Too lazy to dig up the picture of @Ben Hobbs puking, but it fits this thread.
    SdogAaron Websteyabussey1Jennifer PostKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    In all fairness this has not been tied directly to The Ironman world championship, it has only been said that it took place in Hawaii.
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited March 2019
    True. It was clarified that it was the Honolulu Marathon.
    Sdog
  • Options
    That is good news!! I was not looking forward to seeing Triathlon get dumped on!!
  • Options
    I should not have jumped to conclusions!! Sorry!!!
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM

SdogMattKenElPescadoPeladogregkCraig_Dslickfins_Ryan
  • Options
    bbculpbbculp Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    This investigation is heavily focused on triathlon and an earthquake is coming.
    SdogMattidking90MartinRobert Rankinslickfins_Ryan
  • Options
    RashRash Member
    edited March 2019
    Saw that triathlon and cycling (obviously) are the two non-winter sports suspected to be involved. German doctor and only European athletes being implicated thus far. Should be interesting. Luckily there is no German nor European presence in professional IM racing so I am sure it is only low level folks.
    MattTad_MmaggierukjrunninJohns622slickfins_Ryan
  • Options
    The Honolulu marathon connection is curious. The only pros racing there were Kenyan and the prize money is almost nothing. There was a $10,000 bonus for breaking a course record, which Titus Ekiru nearly did in really tough conditions.
    MattMartin
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    bbculp said:

Will Typhoon be joining him

bbculpMattwchevronabussey1MartinTad_MmaggieruKenElPescadoPeladoRobert RankinCraig_Dslickfins_Ryan
    #KOAT
  • Options
    @AaronWebstey That was by far the funniest thing you've ever posted.
    Aaron WebsteyMattwchevronabussey1MartinKHilgendorfJennifer PostRobert RankinHSeeley14
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    bbculp said:

@AaronWebstey That was by far the funniest thing you've ever posted.

Sad, but probably true
    Sdogabussey1Martingregk
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    bbculp said:

I am hoping it is Frodeno. Too many rumors around Jan and Emma for years. I just hope we find out if WTC/ITU were complicit in sweeping under test results and telling people they couldn’t race and to play the injury card or just quietly go away.

Call me crazy but I never believed Frodeno’s hip fracture story for his Kona withdrawal. His 1:06 half and then injury almost immediately after? I think he got popped at 70.3 Champs or more likely by an out of comp test or earlier race given time it takes for results.

Bonus points if takes down Ryf. I don’t know anyone who thinks she is clean.
    MattMark_after_DarkMartinbbculp
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    I have already purchased the dixie cups for @AaronWebstey and @bbculp for this August. This minor story could just be a prelude.
    SdogAaron WebsteywchevronKenElPescadoPeladokjrunninslickfins_Ryan
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member

bbculp said:

I am hoping it is Frodeno.

Bonus points if takes down Ryf. I don’t know anyone who thinks she is clean.
    If it takes out the 1st and 2nd place finishers on the men's side, we'll never know who won Kona 2018 because they didn't show the 3rd place man on any of the broadcasts.
    SdogJennifer PostAaron Websteykjrunninslickfins_Ryan
  • Options
    RashRash Member
    @Jennifer Post Not sure I am "hoping" for it to be anyone of significance. That won't be good for anyone.
  • Options
    Rash said:

@Jennifer Post Not sure I am "hoping" for it to be anyone of significance. That won't be good for anyone.

Yup, the whole thing would be like a train wreck. Not good for anyone, or the sport, but you can’t help looking and discussing.
  • Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Rash said:

I disagree. I think triathlon (at least long course) is dirty to its core. Athletes, WTC, and sponsors. I think the only hope of getting it clean is if the big stars get caught.

Aaron WebsteyTad_M
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    @Jennifer Post , I agree. And if there is "fear" in damaging the long course sport... all we hear about is that it is broken anyway and not providing the true value to the pros.....
    So then there is not a gigantic risk to tearing it down. Start anew, clean, and make it great. Proving clean athletes and creating true equality is a good foundation for a rebuild.
    I understand why there is so much hesitancy to tearing down cycling, but WTC may want to have created more robust constituencies (pro athletes, sponsors) by allowing better shared revenue streams if they want help in "fighting" to bury bad press. Maybe the sponsors like it the way it is???? But the clean athletes dont get any reward right now.
    SdogJennifer Post
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    @Tad_M yes if things really are that bad then tearing it down and rebuilding would be best. I don’t know if that could really happen. In part because I am afraid that it’s too easy to cheat. Have a listen to this podcast “Nordic Nation” they interview Estonia’s Karel Tamnjarv a skier who was caught up in this.
  • Options
    RashRash Member

Rash said:

I disagree. I think triathlon (at least long course) is dirty to its core. Athletes, WTC, and sponsors. I think the only hope of getting it clean is if the big stars get caught.

I'm hoping more that your assumptions are wrong rather than hoping the entire declining sport gets taken down. Now if you will excuse me, my head is not used to being out of the sand for long periods of time.
    SdogAaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoTad_MJennifer PostmaggieruMartinkjrunninCraig_Dslickfins_Ryan
  • Options
    I'm with @Jennifer Post. It could be good for the sport, both short and long term, if a Jan, Lange or Daniela is swept up in this.
    Jennifer Postmaggieru
  • Options
    God forbid it's Sanders. I can't imagine how many threads on ST there would be.
    SdogTad_MRobert RankinJennifer PostmaggierukjrunninCraig_Dslickfins_Ryan
  • Options
    There are only a handful of athletes that I'd be willing to wager my life on the fact that they're not doping. Lionel is on that shortlist.
    SdogJames LangeAaron WebsteyRobert RankinJennifer PostMartinslickfins_Ryan
  • Options
    bbculp said:

There are only a handful of athletes that I'd be willing to wager my life on the fact that they're not doping. Lionel is on that shortlist.

I agree.

A friend and former colleague was alongside LS at his initial bike fit with Geoff Farnsworth and when LG sent him to the track for his initial Alphamantis testing (we're talking pre-Kona swim domestique). He joked that LS was "too stubborn and naive to be doping, and would easily get caught".
    Aaron WebsteyTad_MJennifer PostMartin
  • Options
    Matt said:

bbculp said:

I agree.

A friend and former colleague was alongside LS at his initial bike fit with Geoff Farnsworth and when LG sent him to the track for his initial Alphamantis testing (we're talking pre-Kona swim domestique). He joked that LS was "too stubborn and naive to be doping, and
    would easily get caught".

In other words he is so dialed into doing it the right way that he does not have the time or energy to think about anything else.

He does seem to be totally focused on complete fairness, think draft zones.

It would be so disheartening if he was ever shown to be anything other than completely fair.
    Jennifer PostCraig_D
  • Options
    Almost. That he was "too stubborn/dumb" to get the basics down, especially swimming and listening to people smarter and more experienced than him, that to even try his hand at doping would get him caught.
    SdogKenElPescadoPeladoMartinAaron Websteyslickfins_Ryan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch