frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Ask Lucy Charles anything (sort of)

bbculpbbculp Member, Rooster Endurance Member
Hey Roosters - I'm working on a feature about Lucy Charles for an upcoming issue of Triathlete. It'll be the longest article they've ever published, Lucy is super awesome, and I couldn't be more excited about it.

I'm trying to frame the article on her relationship with water throughout her life...how it's evolved, when the love affair started, hard times in the marriage, etc. Lucy and I both have swimming backgrounds, and we can have pretty geeked out conversations about little nuances of swimming. I'm trying to get a sense from non-swimmer types (i.e. 99% of triathletes) what they'd like to know from Lucy about her swim. So that's why I'm out here crowd-sourcing my work. If you could ask Lucy anything about her swim/relationship with the water, what would it be?
M_WareAaron WebsteyCraig_DMatt

Comments

• Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    edited March 2019
    Does she change her stroke based on adverse weather/chop. I've always heard people say the open water stroke is not the same as an optimized pool stroke. I'm not a swimmer, so I cant even see if this is true or not.
    So, if uber swimmers really support this statement that the open water stroke is different...... is it already modified to be good in terrible seas, or is a Lucy Charles adapting on the fly. I'm not talking just breathing to one side when you're getting mouthfuls.

If this is stupid, you can answer it here anyway and tell me its stupid.
    Aaron WebsteyCraig_Dbbculpyournotunique
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Did she have any qualms about acquiring a surname that sounded like this guy's name?

slickfins_RyanPevashishDaulCraig_DNHetro
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    Brew_TriBrew_Tri Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited March 2019
    Does she feel that swimming backgrounds are the best possible source for recruiting younger talent into the sport? Does she feel that youth triathlon programs are worth it to develop young talent? Does she think that swimming(or cycling or running) exclusively is key to getting top talent into the sport? With many races are seeing large drops in numbers, whats her back up plan if triathlon dissappears tomorrow?
    Yay Sports! :#
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Best ever individual race as a swimmer - meet, event, time, why it was special, etc?

Hardest/longest workout she remembers doing?
    slickfins_RyanMartinbbculp
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Mark_after_DarkMark_after_Dark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, POTM
    Does the carpet match the drapes
    slickfins_Ryanbbculpidking90KenElPescadoPeladoPevashishDaulmbrekk44yournotunique
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member

Best ever individual race as a swimmer - meet, event, time, why it was special, etc?

Hardest/longest workout she remembers doing?

This. And what percentage of her training hours per cycle are swimming?
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    Could she please tell everyone to stop swimming with headphones?
    slickfins_RyanAaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoTad_M
    Resident Genius.
  • Options
    slickfins_Ryanslickfins_Ryan Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    I’d like to know whether or not her stroke or technique changed from high school / college swimming days... I’ve really not changed anything but have heard that others use very different methods because they’re focusing specifically on swimming for triathlons.
    Aaron Webstey

Kind of wish I was Canadian. Sorry.

• Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member

Is that an eyebrow reference?
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Matt said:

Is that an eyebrow reference?
    More of a lowbrow reference.
    MattPevashishDaulTad_MMark_after_DarkCraig_DJohns622yournotunique
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Does she have ANY idea who Ben Hobbs is? And if she does, can she let us know too?
    KenElPescadoPeladoCraig_DNHetro
    I think I found my tribe of assholes.
  • Options
    RashRash Member
    Did she know that Triathlete magazine still exists?
    bbculpKHilgendorf
  • Options
    Is it safe to assume you'll let us know when the article is published?
    bbculp
    #KOAT
  • Options
    GasBombGasBomb Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    How does it feel to belong to a sport where her gender guarantees her less money and notoriety?

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    GasBomb said:

How does it feel to belong to a sport where her gender guarantees her less money and notoriety?

You mean *any* sport?
  • Options
    GasBomb said:

This couldn't possibly be less true. Daniela is the highest-grossing triathlete by a long shot. I suspect Katie Zaferes is #2. As for notoriety, Lucy is considerably more well known than the guy who finished second in Kona last year. She also earns way higher appearance fees and sponsor commitments.
    Aaron WebsteyGasBombStruangJennifer Post
  • Options
    yournotuniqueyournotunique Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    It is true that you become more buoyant as you get gassier while swimming, and subsequently more propulsive as you caudally expel said gas? If not, why?
    bbculpMattTad_MAaron WebsteyCraig_DNHetroKenElPescadoPelado
    -I know it's wrong. Blame old AOL character limits. Illadelph |
  • Options
    GasBombGasBomb Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    bbculp said:

GasBomb said:

This couldn't possibly be less true. Daniela is the highest-grossing triathlete by a long shot. I suspect Katie Zaferes is #2. As for notoriety, Lucy is considerably more well known than the guy who finished second in Kona last year. She also earns way higher appearance fees and sponsor commitments.
    Oops, sworry. I really thought women pro triathletes made a lot less than the men. (prize money and endorsements) It was a serious question, but if it is factually untrue then please disregard.
    Aaron Webstey

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options
    idking90idking90 Member, Pro Triathlete
    @GasBomb there are some exceptions, but overall, prize money is generally equal. ITU rules mandate it, Ironman races all abide by it, etc. It’s pretty much been that way from the beginning.
    Endorsements are a trickier area, because they’re more shrouded in mystery and it’s harder to compare “equal” athletes the way it is with prize money (4th place woman at race X is the same as 4th place man at race X, simply put, but how do you compare more broadly?)
    I could be WILDLY off base on this, but I *suspect* triathlon is at least better/closer to equal on this since sponsorships are still driven strongly by participation numbers rather than spectators, so there’s not the fallacy that cycling, basketball, and most other sports use of the women being less competitive or talented or whatever else BS old guys in suits come up with.
    Aaron WebsteybbculpGasBombJennifer Post
  • Options
    @idking90 I think that's pretty spot on. I don't get into specific numbers with athletes when it comes to sponsorship, but I know someone like Lucy Charles is negotiating from the same place as a Lionel Sanders, and that's awesome to see. Daniela is in a different stratosphere, both physically and fiscally.

I'm fascinated to see what will happen with the US women's national soccer team suing their federation for equal pay. Talk about a sport that's stuck in the dark ages.
    Aaron Websteyidking90GasBombJennifer PostCraig_D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch