frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Bereda Training - coming in 2019

Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
edited January 2019 in Main
I just met with Tyler ( @tysellars ) and Dennis ( @dennis_cottreau ) from https://www.beredatraining.com/ - they are just across the harbour from me and wanted to show me what they are up to. They are championing an idea called "Peer To Peer Coaching", and my executive summary would be something like "the thing that would result if Strava, Facebook, and TriRoost had an illegitimate love child".

The best description might be from Dennis, in this video:

Right now, they are looking for feedback and willing to answer questions. For Rooster Endurance members, check the team-only forum for a potential partnership.

Dennis and Tyler are young, smart, and keen AF. I have informed/warned them that while we don't tend to be as flame-ready as "the other forum", people here speak the truth and are generally fairly well-versed in the endurance sports world. Let em know what you think.

Thanks.
W
#KOAT
NHetroKenElPescadoPeladoSdogGasBombRobert Rankin

Comments

• Options
    Account made! Hey everyone :)

Had a nice chat with Aaron this morning... I've seen TRS Triathlon a few times over the course of my years in endurance sports and when we realized Aaron lived in our backyard we had to say hello!

I like Aaron's description :p Basically, Bereda is all about helping athletes get better connected with their peers and coaches in an environment where they can help each other improve. Instead of having 300 people following you on Strava, we people on Bereda having far fewer connections but much more meaningful ones. Really being involved in each others' training.

That's the goal!

In terms of product and features, Bereda combines modern, 1-to-1 messaging with access to training data through to future plans, bringing context to conversations about training between, athletes, their peers, and coaches. You'll be able to see what your training partners have done, are planning to do, have a conversation about it, and build/suggest plans for the future to help each other out.

That's the 1-to-1, and then we talked about Aaron about some of the "Group Coaching" functionality we're thinking about tackling in the fall.

Thanks for having us! Aaron told me a bit about the vibe in the group and it sounds great.

A little flame-readiness is never a bad thing, either ;)

Looking forward to seeing where this goes!

Cheers!
    Aaron WebsteyNHetroA_drizzleSdogRobert RankinJames Langerangamel
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited January 2019
    @dennis_cottreau - So, this is a service where I would plug in my training plan or use one of your prepared plans, record workouts and get feedback from random coaches and athletes?

Who developed the plans, and what is their background? (Training, education, experience, etc.)
    tysellars
  • Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    There’s a team-only forum?
    KenElPescadoPeladoAaron WebsteyTad_MCraig_D
  • Options
    NHetroNHetro Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    As a self coached athlete, I'd like this. I want to use my training plan that I know works and just feedback when I have questions or when I think something isnt going right or could be better.
    Aaron Websteytysellars
  • Options

There’s a team-only forum?

I think there are threads that are team-only. You can filter to them in the Categories bar on the left.
    KenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Thanks. I do see the threads marked as team only. Just wondered if I was completely missing a second forum.
  • Options
    Hey @Martin!

Your first sentence is pretty bang on. In Bereda, you'll have your past activity through to future workouts available on a scrollable timeline. The full perspective of what an athlete has done and is trying to do. Then the ability to reference and pull that information into conversations, providing context to what you're talking with regards to training.

Bereda started as a company training to calculate training plans, and you can see just how geeky we've been in our past by looking at our first, Annual Training Plan building product: https://atp.beredatraining.com/

That product let you build customized plans quickly and flexibly so they could update when the plan inevitably needed to change.

With Peer-to-Peer, we're still aiming to bring some of that functionality into play, so people can build plans for themselves and for others.

Who's building the plans? Well, you can, your more experienced friend can, or a professional coach can. It all depends who you connect with.

We've already got some interest from USAC Level 1 Coaches, so there will be the opportunity to connect with the BEST sources of guidance, but the other side of things is enabling self-coaching and enabling experienced athletes to help their training group.

What a lot of people are asking us for -- and are excited about -- would be some sort of review system for coaches that want to build up a reputation (and business) on Bereda. So, they'd come in with their external credentials (USAC Level 1, for example), but also have some "karma" on Bereda, so to speak, to show other users they deliver good plans and good service.

But I think a key part of the Peer-to-Peer thing that I should emphasize is that YOU get to CHOOSE who you connect with. There aren't "random coaches and athletes" giving you feedback, only the people you want to have involved in your training, maybe from your favourite TriRoost community? ;)

Thanks for the question!

Let me know what wasn't clear in my answer or what else it prompts :)

This helps a lot, thanks!
    tysellarsAaron WebsteyMartin
  • Options
    @NHetro awesome! Yeah, you've got it nailed.

You'll be able to set your training plan in Bereda they way you like, direct your own training, and then enable select peers to connect with you and be involved with your process.

In my own training history, that was a big thing for me. I was very self-directed but always had a handful of knowledgeable friends watching what I was doing and chiming in with encouragement, reassurance or suggestions on things to change up.

With our Peer-to-Peer platform, we're trying to build a better place for that exchange to happen. I probably have over 1000 screenshots of charts, graphcs, and metrics posted into Facebook Messenger to talk about it with my friends... Surely we can do better ;)

Self-Coaching is an awesome journey but can be pretty tough. We hope Bereda can help people be more successful doing it because it adds a lot to the sporting experience and is a lot of fun for some people.
    tysellarsNHetroAaron WebsteyMartin
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers

@NHetro awesome! Yeah, you've got it nailed.

You'll be able to set your training plan in Bereda they way you like, direct your own training, and then enable select peers to connect with you and be involved with your process.

In my own training history, that was a big thing for me. I was very self-directed but always had a handful of knowledgeable friends watching what I was doing and chiming in with encouragement, reassurance or suggestions on things to change up.

With our Peer-to-Peer platform, we're trying to build a better place for that exchange to happen. I probably have over 1000 screenshots of charts, graphcs, and metrics posted into Facebook Messenger to talk about it with my friends... Surely we can do better ;)

Self-Coaching is an awesome journey but can be pretty tough. We hope Bereda can help people be more successful doing it because it adds a lot to the sporting experience and is a lot of fun for some people.

This post, and in particular the highlighted bits, really gives me a better idea of what exactly you're trying to accomplish and how it will benefit others, FWIW.
    NHetro
    #KOAT
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Will the platform have metrics like TSS, TSB, etc. to help coaches assess fitness and fatigue vs. just compliance with plan? For a highly experienced coach this is is less important, but for your average cyclist/amateur coach it can help identify starting points for issues and how they can be resolved.
    NHetro
  • Options
    doyoueventribrodoyoueventribro Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    I like what this is about. I always bounce around between trainingpeaks premium membership, taking bits and pieces from books like "fast track triathlete" or "triathlete training bible" or "training and racing with a power meter" or just debating getting an actual coach.

Also fun fact, before I got into this whole triathlon thing I went and took pictures at a local Crit and snagged this shot of @dennis_cottreau

Aaron Websteyneil5youngNHetroGasBombSdogMartinMattrangamel
  • Options
    Hey @KHilgendorf, ya, absolutely. We're going to calculated training loads from activity files (bike rides, runs, etc.) and build up a Fitness/Freshness chart.

We'll also have the ability to plan that progression out into the future using the tech we developed with our first Annual Training Plan product that we started with: https://atp.beredatraining.com/

We want to try and keep numbers and metrics clean and concise with Peer-to-Peer. Only what you need, not trying to overwhelm. I've talked to a lot of athletes who try to use some other analytics products, all on their own, and end up getting frustrated and quit. They buy it hoping it will help them improve, then end up saying... "now what?"

One thing we're hoping for with Peer-to-Peer is that more people end up successful with the numbers on the platform because there are others available to ask questions to and get answers.
    NHetro
  • Options
    @doyoueventribro sounds like you're on the self-coaching carousel! It's a fun ride :-)

Hey! That was a good race for me, haha. It was final preparation for the 2013 Canada Games and I formed that winning breakaway by attacking out of corner 3 of a 1-hour crit.

Were you racing or just from Cape Breton or...?
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    @AaronWebstey thanks for letting me know!
  • Options
    doyoueventribrodoyoueventribro Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM

@doyoueventribro sounds like you're on the self-coaching carousel! It's a fun ride :-)

Hey! That was a good race for me, haha. It was final preparation for the 2013 Canada Games and I formed that winning breakaway by attacking out of corner 3 of a 1-hour crit.

Were you racing or just from Cape Breton or...?

I'm from Cape Breton. I was just getting into cycling at the time and stopped by to take some pictures of the crit and to volunteer. You guys didn't make it easy by lapping the entire field.....twice.

DM me, i'm a race director for a local race (triathlon on the mira) and I was trying to figure out how to get coaching/training plans to participants if they were interested but didn't want to deal with the hassle of our committee members becoming sanctioned/registered coaches.
    NHetroAaron Webstey
  • Options
    @dennis_cottreau I'll ask the question on the minds of many roosters: how much?
    NHetroAaron Webstey
  • Options
    Hey @Martin, it's on our website, no secrets!

https://www.beredatraining.com/pricing/

We're looking at $80/year, $10/month to start, with the idea of a slight increase the price after a few years, once its a more robust product.

For that, you'll get your past activity data, analytics, and future plans. It would take the place of something like TrainingPeaks, etc., but would have the added feature of connection and collaboration with others.

If you don't want to have your training files and plans on Bereda, you can still have an account and connect and chat with others about their training, and that will be for free. You just won't have any of your own training files or plans around to pull into conversations.

How's that sound?
    NHetro
  • Options
    @Martin I should add...

When I had my chat with @AaronWebstey we were just trying to get a sense of what each party was up to and all about. I told him what Bereda was trying to create for endurance sports (and why) and he shed a bit more light on what this community was all about.

Sounded like there was some alignment so we put a post in here to see if a discussion took off and there was interest from TriRoost.

The idea would be to give all the members access to our upcoming beta, help us get this product right by giving us feedback, and then we'd like to give all the members here a free year of the product thereafter :-)

A proper partnership, you know?

Thanks for all the great questions!
    Aaron WebsteyNHetroSdogKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    @doyoueventribro awesome! Shoot me a message at dennis(at)beredatraining.com

It will probably be a little while before we're ready to support events and their members, but that's definitely something we've thought about getting into in the future.
  • Options
    OverBiker_SamOverBiker_Sam Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I'd love to have a new group of people looking at how slow I am.

I use Strava, but have paid for TP Premium for years, but my training plans have centered around TR plans, master's swim sessions, a local Tuesday night tempo/track series, and weekend shop rides. Would be interesting to see how a structured plan fits in around all that.
    Aaron WebsteyNHetro
    Cheers,
    -Sam

• Options
    Hey @OverBiker_Sam , sounds like a lot of pre-determined workouts!

When Bereda brings in workout planning, we want to enable people to set their pre-determined ("rigid", "fixed" or "mandatory") workouts and then have the system flexibly fill the rest of the week with individualized sessions to meet your weekly targets.

Sounds like there might not be that much left over room to fill in your weekly availability! Tough for a "structured plan" to fit in around all that, but the upside is it sounds like a really fun training week :-)

No one likes to follow "structured plans" all 52 weeks of the year anyways ;-)
    NHetro

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch