frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Fat bike for a fat guy

bbculpbbculp Member, Rooster Endurance Member
I'm in the market for a fat bike, specifically one for riding in snow. Looking to spend less than $500. I've never purchased (or even ridden) a fat bike. Which brands/models should I be looking at?

Comments

• Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    You're buying me a bike? Thanks!
    Tad_MMattbbculp
    #KOAT
  • Options
    No, it's for your wife.
    Aaron WebsteyKHilgendorf
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    edited November 2018
    Hey. I know I look like someone who would have a fat guy for a wife but she is actually a lovely female angel.
    wchevronkjrunninTad_MKenElPescadoPeladoMark_after_Dark
    #KOAT
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    You can get one at walmart for about 200. Bikes direct has one for 500 that's probably a bit more legit, but supposedly the walmart special isn't absolute garbage. Might want to spend tan extra hundred on new shifters and RD. Brakes don't matter much on snow.
  • Options
    Hilgendorf just told Brad Culp to buy a bike at Walmart. And it doesn't seem insane. Now I've seen everything.
    M_WareSdogTad_MJohns622KenElPescadoPeladoRobert Rankin
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    Not joking @bbculp , before swift, I enjoyed winters here in MI with 38mm carbide studded tires on my cross bike since our hard pack roads were most often ice or thin snow over old ice. Non studded knobby tires were useless.
    It's worse on the wider fat bike if there is ice. I'd actually leave them on all year if I owned a fat bike, cause I'd never be on pavement. If you will do only trails, then I doubt ice layers become a problem.
    Sworry in advance if this was obvious.
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    I have a steel framed Pugsley and you can probably find one of those used for around that. Solid bike, figuratively and literally. It’s not as sexy as some of my friends Carbon fat bikes, but I have a blast on if.
  • Options
    doyoueventribrodoyoueventribro Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    edited November 2018
    I'm looking at getting a 27.5+ mountain bike. Since I intend to only have one MTB I want something pretty versatile. I used to have a 29er but it was useless in the snow. While the 27.5+ won't be as good as a fat bike in the snow I think it'll provide a decent balance and allow me to enjoy some trails without going sideways because of my terrible bike handling skills.

I looked at a Rocky Mountain or Norco fat bike but the specs compared to the 27.5+ just weren't there. If I was to get a fat bike it'd be something like this
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    @Tad_M I enjoy riding my cross bike in the snow but I'm just looking to mix things up this winter, especially since it came so fucking early this year. Every time I'm out on my CX bike, I see all these kids looking cool on their fat bikes in nothing but jeans and hoodies. Meanwhile I look like a knob in my Wattie Ink kit. Then I get home and my wife and the guy she's sleeping with make fun of me, and I go have a cry in my office, which isn't even a real office but just a corner of the living room.

So yeah, this fat bike is about a lot more than just being able to ride in the snow.
    Aaron Websteykjrunninellsworth53tTad_Msimonsen77GrantInSLC
  • Options
    Toefuzz said:

I have a steel framed Pugsley and you can probably find one of those used for around that. Solid bike, figuratively and literally. It’s not as sexy as some of my friends Carbon fat bikes, but I have a blast on if.

+1 for a Pugsley. I don't own one but have ridden one. I co-own a Surly Straggler (long story) and am a fan of Surly bikes, especially for what you get for your money. Steel is real. Join the Salsa & Surly Trader page on the bookface and you can probably find a good deal on an older model.
    bbculpAaron Webstey
    Resident Genius.
  • Options
    mbrekk44mbrekk44 Member, POTM
    edited November 2018
    https://www.framedbikes.com/collections/fat-bikes/products/minnesota-1-0-fat-bike-26
    The framed starts at $499. I know a guy who has one and it seems to work just fine. I see them around the local fat bike trails too.
    Mark_after_Darkbbculp
  • Options
    @mbrekk44 I think we may have a winner. Nice spec for the price. Good looking frame. Thanks for putting me onto this!
    mbrekk44Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    Can’t your boy Jay hook you up with the Canyon?
  • Options
    I’m legitimately tempted by that Framed bike, though.
  • Options
    bbculp said:

@mbrekk44 I think we may have a winner. Nice spec for the price. Good looking frame. Thanks for putting me onto this!

I guess you really can ask a farmer anything
    kjrunninGrantInSLC
    #KOAT
  • Options
    mbrekk44mbrekk44 Member, POTM
    Did you get it? And if so, how is it?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch