frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

How do Pros do it??

espej09espej09 Member
So I was on Instagram this morning and stumbled upon a pic Linsey Corbin posted showing everyone her view in Mexico.
Now she just spent 3-4 weeks in Florida with QT2 doing their pro camp. Now is in Mexico for another week.
We all know there isn't a lot of money in triathlon winning races and the pay out is so small. How do some of these pros afford a vacation like that?? Being away from home for 4-5 weeks isn't that big of a deal but paying your bills, mortgage/rent on top of whatever fees you have to pay while training at camp...HOW?!

village idiot

Aaron Webstey

Comments

• Options
    Some have families that help out. Some had prior jobs (e.g., Proper Starky) that help out. Some are smarter with their sponsors and negotiate bonuses well. Linsey, in particular, picks up some cash speaking on behalf of Saucony at certain social media strategy events.
    Aaron Webstey
    Resident Gear Guru
    Bike Crash Free Since August 4th, 2014
  • Options
    I can't really speak to Linsey or other pro triathletes, but I've known a number of pro cyclists over the years. Having a portable job and roommates was very common. For the women who were married, their husbands typically had very good jobs. Lots of generalizing but you get the idea.
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    Pretty sure Lindsay has a salary from Cliff Bar too. Some pros (def VERY FEW) actually make pretty decent cash when all said and done. However, it's such an insecure means of a living that I wouldn't ever consider it a good career option, especially if they don't have anything to fall back on once their tri career is over.

Checkout Thorston's money list from 2014. Keep in mind this is ONLY winnings and not bonuses, sponsor product, sponsor salary, etc. trirating.com/2014-money-lists/
    Aaron Webstey

Living life in pursuit of triathlon greatness and not pissing off my wife. Also trying to understand Dark Mark and why he's left New York yet again, but this time for Oklahoma. At least it's not Florida.

• Options
    wow, very eye opening...I haven't really looked so deep into that, just saw that pic this morning and was like HOW THE HELL DO THEY DO IT!
    figured something had to come from sponsors and what not.
    Aaron Webstey

village idiot

• Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    I used to get flight points from a family member. Worked web dev jobs as much as possible - which as @MorganStyer mentioned, was a great portable job. Lived dirt-cheaply - $600-$800 was not an uncommon monthly budget including rent, food, etc. No car, pool membership etc were free due to Natl Dev team status (was lucky to have a training center office in my city), homestays whenever I traveled. I think this is a common story.

When I listened to the Big Sexy interview, I thought "oh, that's how a grownup does it". I wish I had been smarter/more mature about it all.
    DHansenTriJames Lange
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Interesting, @DHansen1877 as I've never seen that before. This is just money won/earned at races though, right? And it doesn't include money spent on travel, lodging, coaches, taxes on those winnings, etc. While some of the pros may have stipends or a salary from a sponsor (I'm sure they do at the very pointy end of the pro field), I'm curious to see how much money that is and how many pros receive that. It'd be fun to actually see those numbers, too. Wonder if there is a brave enough pro to step up to @TheRealStarky radio and talk in depth about it.

I'm sure Corbin Brands helps even things out a bit for her...
  • Options
    KMRyanTriKMRyanTri Member, Pro Triathlete
    If any one knows of a company who wants to throw money at me so I can eat this month, well, that'd be great
    DHansenTriJames Lange
  • Options
    KMRyanTriKMRyanTri Member, Pro Triathlete
    And Thorsten didn't even try to throw ITU money in there. Gwen and Javi would be WAY up there.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch